http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:19:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Reaper (spoilers)  (Read 2155 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2008, 06:14:39 PM »

Anyone still watching this?  The show just came back for its (possible) final few episodes.  Unfortunately, just as the show has hit its stride with excellent story developments, it's listed as "on the bubble" to return next season.  I hope they are smart enough to give the show a chance with a halfway decent time slot.

New episode on tonight (Tuesday) at 9pm.  Andi is going to catch Sam slicing a demon's head off, so problems ensue...

- - -

The story arc from the past few weeks was absolutely excellent, on par with some of the better Buffy/Angel storylines.  Well, not quite as "deep" as what Joss Whedon does, but with a lot more humor mixed in.  When the show first started, my comment was that I didn't think they could survive on a "monster of the week" type of format.  It took them a bit too long to ramp up additional storylines with their own "lore" and finally getting Sam and Andi together (well sort of), but hopefully they'll get a chance to expand with a second season.  The gay demon couple vs. Satan plotline was all around some of the funniest and fun/interesting fantasy content on TV since Angel went off the air.  The chemistry between Ray Wise as the devil and Bret Harrison as Sam has just gotten better and better over time, and I could see this show really becoming the next "Buffy/Angel" if given the chance.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »

First couple of episodes didn't do much for me.  Sounds like it has improved since though- if it gets renewed then I'll probably watch it when it comes to DVD. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:18:02 PM »

Man, I really, really hope they bring this show back for a second season.  My wife and I record it every week and catch up on the weekend.  You're right, the whole gay demon couple thing was brilliant.  Ian Black is hilarious with his deadpan delivery.  I especially like:

Spoiler for Hiden:
How they found out that the devil was responsible for their apartment just so he could find out the demons' plans.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »

I've been loving it from the beginning, but the lack of any news on whether or not it will be renewed is not boding well.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:04:15 PM »

The show is destined to be cancelled.

Why? Because I watch it. Plain and simple.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:34:36 PM »

I really like the show and hope it doesn't get cancelled.  It's become better since the early episodes and has become less focused on the "monster of the week" which is fine by me.  It's good to see the meta story getting advanced along with some decent character development.  And Ray Wise is awesome as the Devil.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on April 29, 2008, 08:34:36 PM

Ray Wise is awesome as the Devil.

Yes he is.  Makes me wish my parents had sold my soul before I was born.  biggrin
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »

My wife and I have watched it from the beginning and like it a lot. They couldn't have picked a better guy to play the devil than Ray Wise, and I love Sock as well (who has gone from being a Jack Black wannabe to a legitimate comedic character in his own right). Sam's complete cluelessness when it comes to women is a bit off-putting, but overall we love the show.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 29, 2008, 08:38:00 PM

Sam's complete cluelessness when it comes to women is a bit off-putting.

Come on.  You didn't like the way he was hitting on that model, reading her palm and then cutting to how good her clothes would look at the foot of his bed?  That's classy.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 12:43:10 AM »

I watch it too. Its fun and damn Andi can be awesomely hot!  Ray Wise is definately great as the devil.  I love how he's almost likable and buddy like and just when your guard is down WHAM, youve been Satanized!  I definately hope they renew the show but then thats probably the kiss of death.  Still if Moon Bloodgood were on the show it would be dead already so there is hope.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 02:26:56 AM »

Ray Wise should be forced to play all Satan roles in tv and movies from now, he's that good. 

I think the show's gotten much better than the first few episodes as well.  Sock aka Jack Black Lite has been toned down it seems...either that or my tolerance threshold for him has increased from weekly exposure, Ben has been getting fleshed out as a character (one I actually find funnier than Sock, to be honest...he's just so deadpan), and the introduction of the neighbor demons just took the show in a much needed direction...although sadly, it seems they're kicking them to the curb now. 

The only thing I don't understand is why Sam's weekly superpower seems to have been completely dropped.  For the first few episodes the devil would grant him some superhuman ability to counter the demon he was hunting.  now they never mention anything like that happening.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 06:52:38 AM »

I liked the show but could only get the CW network on my OTA antenna.  I got a new receiver that doesn't support OTA so now Reaper is toast for me.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »

Last night's episode was fantastic. The show just gets better as the series gets more defined.

Spoiler for Hiden:
"although sadly, it seems they're kicking them to the curb now."

Nope. Seems they're still running with that direction
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 02:51:39 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 30, 2008, 06:52:38 AM

I liked the show but could only get the CW network on my OTA antenna.  I got a new receiver that doesn't support OTA so now Reaper is toast for me.

I think you can watch episodes online, can't you?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 02:55:40 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on April 30, 2008, 02:47:19 PM

Last night's episode was fantastic. The show just gets better as the series gets more defined.

Spoiler for Hiden:
"although sadly, it seems they're kicking them to the curb now."

Nope. Seems they're still running with that direction

cool!   i watched the latest episode after writing my previous post so I was quite happy to be proven wrong.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Remus West
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »

Missy Peregrim (I think that is the actress that plays Andi's name) is so freaking hot it is stupid.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 04:22:30 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 30, 2008, 04:18:06 PM

Missy Peregrim (I think that is the actress that plays Andi's name) is so freaking hot it is stupid.

You mean this Missy Peregrym?

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »

Bah, you straight boys!  I'm gonna post hot shirtless pictures of Bret Harrison if you continue that  icon_biggrin 

Fun episode last night, I am sooooo happy they let Andi find out the truth.  I think they dragged that out a bit too long as well, was getting tired of the "let's keep this from Andi" routine.  Now they have the full potential of creating a "Scooby Gang" kind of atmsophere and let the stories and mythology be the emphasis (as opposed to hiding/secrets).  Also happy to see the Devil vs. Demons plotline continue.  Would be nice to see if one or more of the gang actually develops or demonstrates some skills that actually help Sam out.

Disappointing though: ratings are soooooo low.  I found it listed at 114 today with about 2.5million viewers.  Holy crap.  I don't understand how/why, but it is routinely out-watched by tons of other non-English shows on the ratings.  Is CW just not broadcast as widely?

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »

Last nights episode was really good.  I'm also glad Andi finally knows what's going on and thought it was handled well.

On the ratings brightside (if that's what it can be called), the numbers are up a little from last week and it did beat Beauty and the Geek. Fabulous

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 11:26:15 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on April 30, 2008, 09:40:57 PM

Last nights episode was really good.  I'm also glad Andi finally knows what's going on and thought it was handled well.

On the ratings brightside (if that's what it can be called), the numbers are up a little from last week and it did beat Beauty and the Geek. Fabulous

LOL, sadly I think beating a show on the same network that is running against the American Idol juggernaut is not gonna help much.  I don't know why they decided to run BatG right now against AI instead of as a summer show like (I think) it used to be.  Speaking of which, the show has been pretty fun this season, not as good as the last one though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 12:30:57 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 04:22:30 PM

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 05:37:24 PM »

Last night's ep not quite as good as the past few, but still a nice twist on the conventional soul-of-the-week plotlines.  Nice to see advancement for Ben's storyline, as well as integrating Andi into the main plot.

Also nice to see Sam coming a bit into his own in terms of standing with the devil.  I liked the use of plot elements from previous shows (the get out of hell card) - I don't remember how that came about exactly but I do remember him getting it.  The more important part was watching the Sam/Devil interplay evolve.  The show could go so much further and really be a Buffy/Angel type of cult hit if allowed another couple of seasons. 

Best line of the night, Devil: "Come with me if you want to live" - Ray Wise deserves an Emmy for his work on this show, he is absolutely perfect.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 06:12:08 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 07, 2008, 05:37:24 PM

Best line of the night, Devil: "Come with me if you want to live" - Ray Wise deserves an Emmy for his work on this show, he is absolutely perfect.

the best line was immediately after that when the devil added, "You're pretty much screwed here."

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 07:14:12 PM »

I couldn't get with the monster of the week scenario.  I'll put it in my netflix queue when season 1 hits DVD

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 07, 2008, 07:14:12 PM

I couldn't get with the monster of the week scenario.  I'll put it in my netflix queue when season 1 hits DVD

It's really strayed from that format the last few shows.  Now it's more a "let's see how the devil can screw people over each week" driven show. 

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 12:49:44 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 30, 2008, 04:22:30 PM

All I can say is God Bless America!  They are actually paying someone to jump all over Missy.  Damn did my highschool guidance counselor steer me in the wrong direction!

ps: Nice to see Dee from Battlestar Galactica get some work. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:51:57 AM by rshetts2 » Logged

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »

Fantastic season ending episode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Didn't quite see any of the twists coming - especially the bit at the end with Sam's father... wow

I have to wait for mid season for Reaper to come back? frown
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »

Since the title already has (Spoilers) in it, I think we can just discuss at will?

But yeah, loved the finale and so happy they made it back for another (half) season.

So any theories on the dad?  Is he a demon?  Is HE the son of Satan making Sam the grandson?  Or was part of his deal with the devil to sell Sam's soul to grant him immortality?  Lots of fun ways they can take the storyline.

Making Sam the devil's son feels like it might be a little too obvious a plotline, but then again it could make for some awesome dynamics down the line.  The interaction between the 2 of them works so perfectly in the show, I just love their scenes together.  The playing catch scene was part touching, part creepy, part funny - just perfect.  I could see having his son turn out to be a goody 2-shoes driving the devil nuts, and he may constantly be trying to find ways to corrupt him.  There was a little bit of this throughout the show, but it wasn't really specific to them being related.  They also really didn't do much with Sam's powers throughout the season, I definitely hope they revisit that and show us what he is capable of.

Can't wait til next season!!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 08:30:30 PM »

If the devil is Sam's dad, there are definitely a lot of questions to answer, such as, how did he end up with his current family, and if he is not actually his "dad"'s offspring, what does the contract actually say?

I'm also wondering what they are going to do with his ex-girlfriend? The devil said she was not his daughter, but he lies all the time, and she certainly appeared to have supernatural about her.  It would mean that Sam had sex with his sister, though. The actress is going to be on 90210 next season, I wonder if they are going to just pretend that never happened? I hope not, as that would be pretty bad storytelling.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 01:21:43 PM »

Im glad they are giving this another chance, even if it is only as a mid season replacement.  Ray Wise, in the role of Satan is just too good to cancel.
Loved the whole bit about the lottery...  "middleclass workers spending thier hard-earned dollars on an 18million to 1 shot, I like to call it the Idiot Tax."
 icon_twisted

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 21, 2008, 08:24:47 PM

So any theories on the dad?  Is he a demon?  Is HE the son of Satan making Sam the grandson?  Or was part of his deal with the devil to sell Sam's soul to grant him immortality?  Lots of fun ways they can take the storyline.

I really like the way they handled the whole mystery of who Sam's dad is.  Satan being his pop makes perfect sense and there are clues pointing that way in several earlier episodes.  Then they throw in that curveball at the end with mom digging up her husband, throwing the whole thing into doubt.  Awesome.

Now that I think about it, the baseball scene earlier in the ep even foreshadows that a "curveball" is coming.  That's better writing than I expect in a monster-of-the-week show!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »

'I do some scouting for the Yankees.'

that had me ROFL'ing.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2008, 02:49:21 PM

'I do some scouting for the Yankees.'

that had me ROFL'ing.

Wait, is there an episode after the one with the "the leak"?  I thought that was the season finale.  Oops.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 22, 2008, 02:59:57 PM

Wait, is there an episode after the one with the "the leak"?  I thought that was the season finale.  Oops.

Yeah.  One more episode after that one.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: