http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 05:42:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Person of Interest - Season 3 starting  (Read 478 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:28:14 AM »

Anyone been watching this show? I've been watching it since mid Season 1 and then went back to see it all.

Basically, there's a machine, the machine predicts when someone is about to involved in a premeditated murder. However, the only way it communicates this is via a single social security number transmitted to one person. The machine is never wrong, someone will die within 24 hours of a number being given. However, that number can be either the perpetrator or the victim.

Each season has been good and has built up an interesting overarching narrative, along with a problem of the week. It's a bit like a procedural in some ways, but not a typical cop show since it's more of a secret agent thing, but all about saving lives.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »

I thought there was another thread on this show but I guess there isnt.    Ive watched all the episodes so far and its been great.  The two leads are excellent but its the peripheral characters that really make the show.  Last season they added Amy Aker as a semi regular.  She does a great job as a completely amoral whack job level villain.  Sarah Shahi was also added as a regular from last season and she plays the flip side of Root, Akers character.  She plays an amoral hero.  A hot and brutally efficient ex cia agent.  The character of Fusco is great and his redemption story has been well done.  Plus he provides a good bit of comic relief.  Last but not least is a female detective who at the beginning was hunting down our main heroes but in the end joins them, all be it reluctantly, in their mission to save people.   At the center of all of this is the Machine.  An AI built to predict acts of terror.   The show has been very entertaining.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »

thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »

It's been a favorite here since the beginning. The kids, my wife, and me all watch it together religiously (the power of Caviezel compels you). I'm actually not real happy with the addition of Shaw as a regular. The pacing of the first couple of episodes has felt off, and we get less banter between John and Finch.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:04:31 PM »

I agree that that the dynamic has changed with the addition of Shaw, but if they can fine-tune as they go, it should work out well. I love this show, and I hope that with the changes that have come this year, they are able to keep it fresh and engaging.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »

There was another thread on Person of Interest, but I did 2 searches and it wasn't there. We'll call it a casualty of one of the server crashes.

Okay so, everyone willing to agree that spoiler tags aren't needed for season 1 and 2 events?

I'll spoiler this though:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The addition of Root, and her arguments with the machine are interesting, especially since they don't show them. Amy Acker as a psychopath works and it's nice to see her awesome (and scarily skinny) self on screen again. The fact that you have a psychopath character that loves the machine, but a machine that loves and cares for people trying to convince her to go good is such a great dynamic.

I can deal with Shaw. I think they need someone closer to the operation that hasn't built up as much rapport as Finch and Reese have. Those two are comfortable together now that they've had some time to learn each other's secrets, and how they are connected. Those two pretty much trust each other implicitly, and since they both have already accepted death, not too much room for them to go anywhere except in how they interact with the outer cast. The Finch entity is pretty much a combination of Finch/Reese, and the new guys are the new Reese.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »

Shaw is in a very similar situation as Reese was at the start of the show.  Both were slated for death by their handlers. They both survived their death sentences but came away scarred.  Reese responded by basically going through life trying to get himself killed while while doing vigilante work.  Finch gave him focus and a purpose.  Cant say for sure that Reese inst still a bit suicidal but he does apply his skills quite well and doesnt seem quite as willing to die now.  Shaw is still in the early stages of her life change and her response appears to be somewhat the opposite of Reeses.  Instead of trying to get herself killed, she seems to be actively trying to kill everyone else in the world that gets in her way.  In some ways Shaw is a reflection of Roots amoral attitude. They both tend to look at people as things in their way that need to be removed. 

I like the addition of Shaw and think it will make for an very interesting dynamic.  If nothing else she provides a dark form of comic relief.  The latest scene with her and Fusco was awesome.
Oh I will give bonus points to the writers if they do not make Carters new rookie partner an HR plant because right now I cant see how he can possibly be anything else.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »

Yeah, he's going to be a plant. I'll scream out loud if they writer Carter as believing it. She's seen way too much shady stuff to completely fall for it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 01:01:16 PM »

So, tonight's episode (5), looks like the writers are worth their money because there's a lot of great payoff in this episode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's also still odd seeing Shaw's actress go from her bright and bubbly Fairly Legal personality to the Terminator in this show. Then there's the interesting look into her past.

As we said, the rookie was a plant, and thankfully Carter knew. But damn, that was great how they handled her revealing that she knew and how she turned the whole situation. But, now she's gone off the deep end, no more Ms. Good Cop. Sure, she took a step in that direction by working with Reese and Finch, but now she's turned into someone that is willing to get things done. Still an agent of the law, and she'll never go full evil, but definitely more "by any means" mentality.

It is sad to see Finch and Reese take a lot more back seat in the later episodes in terms of development. I think the writers save their stuff more for key episodes about the machine.

No Fusco this episode either. I do hope he gets more screen time as a major character later.

And speaking of which, Root as the Analog Interface finally active. Gotta wonder what the machine has planned. It's obviously not going to go around killing people for no reason, but I think Root will be the machine's response to the new Privacy Group. It will be interesting to see how they deal with having a machine that doesn't like killing and cares for people (as shown by it hooking up Finch), pitted against a cabal of tech savvy vigilantes that would consider the machine's all seeing eye an abomination, and yet use and kill people indiscriminately. The fact that it had Root grab Shaw to use definitely means some armed confrontations are about to happen.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:38:47 PM by Turtle » Logged
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »

Last nights episode was probably the best this season so far.  They have had a running bit this season that has been done subtly in the back ground with Shaw slowly trying to win over Bear.  I got a chuckle last night when she admitted her reason for being on the team.  Also Im starting to think Shaw has rubbed off a bit in Carter, because that was a bit of a shock last nite.  Understandable, under the circumstances but damn!    After how this episode ended, next weeks is looking pretty good as well. 

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »

I loved seeing Shaw truly bond with someone. Entire time I am thinking "anyone that hurts that girl is going to pay dearly".

Also loved the Carter scene at the end. I could tell she knew they were about to try and manhandle her and I was trying to think who might help her. Pleasantly surprised to see she didn't need ANY help.

A little worried about the Shaw/Root tease. I am enjoying both characters and don't want to see the edginess of the relationship make me like either one less.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »

Quote from: Rip on October 23, 2013, 09:35:39 PM

I loved seeing Shaw truly bond with someone. Entire time I am thinking "anyone that hurts that girl is going to pay dearly".

Also loved the Carter scene at the end. I could tell she knew they were about to try and manhandle her and I was trying to think who might help her. Pleasantly surprised to see she didn't need ANY help.

A little worried about the Shaw/Root tease. I am enjoying both characters and don't want to see the edginess of the relationship make me like either one less.

One of those ladies coming after you is bad news but if they team up and youre in their sights ( or in their way )  you may as well just shoot yourself, it would be quicker and less painful!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »

I also noticed that Amy Acker was on Once Upon a Time, interesting to see her bouncing between shows as well. I wonder which one she'll have a bigger role on.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 23, 2013, 08:26:10 PM

I got a chuckle last night when she admitted her reason for being on the team.

I missed that... what was her reason?

-craig

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »

When pressed by the girl on why she was on the team she told her she was 
Spoiler for Hiden:
in it for the dog.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 04:35:17 AM »

The death of a main character and it wasn't who everyone thought.

Spoiler for Hiden:
We will miss you Det. Carter.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »

Tonight's episode spoilers:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Did they advertise a death ahead of time? I hate it when shows do that.

She's one of the best parts of the show! Although I should have seen it coming since they practically tied up her entire storyline. Hopefully that actress will land another full time lead instead of the weird position of lead but still a side character.

I wonder if they'll have anyone to fill that role, or will Fusco, now freed of any and all ties to HR will fill the police contact role more fully. Seeing him in action I thought they were actually going to kill him, even when I hadn't heard anything about a main character dying (I don't watch previews). That's especially so after they had that amazing moment where Shaw rescues his kid, then says her goodbyes to Fusco. I do love how he's turning out to be a bad ass, almost a John McClane type of role he's turning into, and it all started with the off-screen protection duty on the supermodel.

Then there's Amy Acker's Root, who seems to finally be showing real compassion.

What's crazy now is that they still have more than a whole half-season, so we get to see a whole lot of fallout from this. That will probably include some prior "Reese" that Finch used.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »

Iv been watching Person of Interest since day one.  Great show with fantastic support characters.  Last nite was a tough one. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
You knew that their fight with HR was going to be costly. Part of me is glad it wasnt Fusco, though.  Hes just too much fun to have around.  I will miss Joss.  She was an excellent character.  I dont think I would want to be Simmons right now.  I am pretty sure Reese is going to end him in a particularly nasty manner. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 03:49:28 AM »

Holy crap. The intro to today's episode was amazing.

Haven't even watched the whole thing yet.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 06:23:49 AM »

Anyone still watching?

This last episode was excellent.

Episode discussion:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Starting it out as Root-centric was an excellent touch, then bringing in the usual crew too once you have time to absorb what's happening.

I'm a little sad that Fusco is being sidelined a bit, but it gives us time to get over Carter before he gets to step into her shoes.

The whole arc that Root goes through in the episode is brilliant, and letting Amy Acker act up more than the usual crazy and machine devoted was much needed for the character. You knew she was the cause of that office shooting the moment he mentioned it, but it was still nice to see her really feel it when she talks to Harold.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 01:42:46 PM »

Yup, excellent stuff. I had to chuckle when I saw that the name of last night's episode was "/".  icon_cool

-craig

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »

Yep another excellent episode.  Good to see Root get a bigger role in things.  Root sums things up nicely 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Do you really want to see what happens when two gods go to war?

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, things are going nothing but downhill for our heroes...

-craig

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 06:24:07 AM »

Wow, intense episode. They are really setting up for an great season finale.

I could see the crew teaming up with Vigilance, seems like their only option at this point in getting an organization big and dedicated enough to try and stop what's happening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: