http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:10:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Once Upon a Time + Once Upon a Time in Wonderland  (Read 2157 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:11:23 AM »

anyone catch this on Sunday night?  for those who missed it, it's about people and creatures from fairy tales who get kicked out of their homeland by a curse created by the Wicked Queen from Snow White.  in order to save themselves, they send the child of Snow White and Prince Charming into the real world, where she grows up, has a child then puts it up for adoption, and is finally a bail bondswoman who is found by the said child.  the kid leads her back to the town where all the fairy tales are living, apparently unaware of their past (and some of them have also been changed into human form).  after a mysterious accident she decides to stay a bit, but the pilot fails to give any hints as to why she wants to stay.

so, it's not quite the Fable knock off I was expecting, but from the first hour I'm not sure what to expect at all, and beyond Robert Carlyle showing up I'm wondering if there is even a reason to keep watching.  anyone else have any thoughts on the show?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:32:12 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:56:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2011, 02:11:23 AM

anyone catch this on Sunday night?  for those who missed it, it's about people and creatures from fairy tales who get kicked out of their homeland by a curse created by the Wicked Queen from Snow White.  in order to save themselves, they send the child of Snow White and Prince Charming into the real world, where she grows up, has a child then puts it up for adoption, and is finally a bail bondswoman who is found by the said child.  the kid leads her back to the town where all the fairy tales are living, apparently unaware of their past (and some of them have also been changed into human form).  after a mysterious accident she decides to stay a bit, but the pilot fails to give any hints as to why she wants to stay.

so, it's not quite the Fable knock off I was expecting, but from the first hour I'm not sure what to expect at all, and beyond Robert Carlyle showing up I'm wondering if there is even a reason to keep watching.  anyone else have any thoughts on the show?

We have it recorded and plan on watching it this weekend...Will check in after that
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »

I watched it and I will give it a few more episodes but I have a feeling this will be cancelled.  Most people are suggesting that reveals will be along the lines of Lost.  If that's the case I will not watch

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »

I tried it, but it was just a bit too cutesy for my tastes.  I'm  hoping Grimm turns out better.  It shares a similar conceit.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 27, 2011, 01:40:16 PM

I tried it, but it was just a bit too cutesy for my tastes. 

Very true.  Watched the first 5 mins or so (up to the witch's entrance at the wedding) and knew it was not for me and deleted it off my DVR.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »

I enjoyed it, definitely an interesting and different premise.  Hard to tell where they are going with the storyline.

My only semi-complaint is I would have preferred someone a bit more dynamic or attractive in the lead role (Emma) - I was thinking Kate from Lost would have been perfect.  She was OK but didn't make an impact on me, I can barely remember what she looks like, so that's not good.  The rest of the cast is pretty good, but it always hurts when your lead(s) are not strong, particularly in a show like this where the plot can be vague or confusing (see Flash Forward).
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 27, 2011, 05:41:47 PM

I enjoyed it, definitely an interesting and different premise.  Hard to tell where they are going with the storyline.

My only semi-complaint is I would have preferred someone a bit more dynamic or attractive in the lead role (Emma) - I was thinking Kate from Lost would have been perfect.  She was OK but didn't make an impact on me, I can barely remember what she looks like, so that's not good.  The rest of the cast is pretty good, but it always hurts when your lead(s) are not strong, particularly in a show like this where the plot can be vague or confusing (see Flash Forward).

Interesting point about the lead, I was going crazy trying to place where I had seen her before and I knew it was in a big part.  I had to resort to IMDB to check it out and did a face palm when it listed her as Cameron on House.  Of course it was!  Memory is heading south rapidly.  That being said I kinda liked it and the wife did like it (she is a big Lost fan where I wasn't) so it will stay on the DVR, probably until canceled.  The wife does a good track record of liking shows that are going to be axed quickly, she was such a big fan of Camelot and hated Game of Thrones so what does she know.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »

The show and characters are starting to grow on me more now, that little kid is adorable and I've always been a big Ginnifer Goodwin fan.  Last night had some interesting and dramatic reveals about the curse.  One question: did they say why the queen herself is stuck there with no memory?  Sometimes I fall asleep for a minute or two and miss things.

I kind of dig the format, has some of that Lost feel to it where you get to explore 2 different worlds and timelines each episode.  Don't know if it's going to appeal to a broader audience though. 
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 31, 2011, 05:07:27 PM

One question: did they say why the queen herself is stuck there with no memory?
I believe it was explained that the curse affects everyone.  Though with Rumplestiltskin as the creator of the curse, I'm betting that he remains pretty much unaffected by it.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »

Huh. And here I thought it was pretty clear that the queen does still have her memory. Sure, she's being coy about it, but the double-take she did when Rumpelstiltskin said "please" seemed like a pretty strong indication she remembered that conversation (likewise, I thought that exchange confirmed that he also had his memory, which had been obvious ever since he convinced her to make that bargain in the first place).

To be honest, I'm expecting that a lot more people remember where they're from than we've been led to believe so far. Much like the "we're in a separate timestream" line in Terra Nova made it pretty likely that they're not in a separate timestream, the "nobody remembers who they are" idea seems like an assumption tailor made for making an ass out of you and anyone else who falls for it.

- Ash
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »

Second season has ended, this is the only thread I've seen.     Anyone else stick with it?  The ratings have been high enough to get a spin off.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on May 17, 2013, 10:34:52 AM

Second season has ended, this is the only thread I've seen.     Anyone else stick with it?  The ratings have been high enough to get a spin off.

I was pretty dedicated for a while, but the series lost me early in season 2.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 17, 2013, 11:09:26 AM

Quote from: sgoldj on May 17, 2013, 10:34:52 AM

I was pretty dedicated for a while, but the series lost me early in season 2.   

This:   I think bringing magic and memories back to Storybrooke kind of killed the show for me. I just lost interest.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »

I'm planning on catching up with the show over the summer in time for season 3 and the spin-off (if I still like the show after season 2 that is).

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 06:05:54 PM »

I have tried repeatedly to get into the show and just too often don't understand what the heck is going on.  icon_confused I think I need "Cliff Notes for Once Upon a Time," or "Once Upon a Time for Dummies and Idiots."  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2013, 06:04:00 PM

I'm planning on catching up with the show over the summer in time for season 3 and the spin-off (if I still like the show after season 2 that is).

I hadn't heard about a spinoff, what's that about?

I still enjoy the show a lot.  The writing does get a little inconsistent/wishy-washy at times but for the most part it's very entertaining.  They continue to have different twists on familiar characters, which can be a lot of fun.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 17, 2013, 07:37:17 PM

I hadn't heard about a spinoff, what's that about?

here you go: Once Upon a Time in Wonderland.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

I liked season 2 a lot, especially the first half that took place in the fairytale land.  They did a great job of making season 2 different from season 1, and season 3 looks to continue that trend.  The spinoff looks good, too, although all it seems to have in common with its parent series is the look of Wonderland.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »

I felt the reset button got hit during season 2, maybe even twice, but still enjoyed it. Love the take on Hook and the Crockodile episode.

I still have open bets about how close Henry's dysfunctional family is.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »

just finished watching season 1, and I should have season 2 done by the 29th.  Liking it, but for awhile there the formula seemed to be 'heroes look like they are finally going to score a win only to lose in the last second', and it was starting to get old.

as for the spin-off, I enjoyed the Wonderland bits in the first season but I think a show set over there may run into budget problems.  it'll be interesting to see how they handle that.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 03:29:14 AM »

halfway through the second season, and still liking the show, mostly.  I don't like how certain characters have pretty much up and disappeared.  I know it is a large cast, and not everyone is going to get equal screentime or had other commitments, but they had fairly big roles in the first season and then poof, they're gone with little or no mention.  for example, Sidney Glass (yes, he's on Revolution) just vanishes.  Geppetto and Pinocchio are only barely referenced, and as of episode 12 Pinocchio hasn't had his little development even mentioned:

Spoiler for Hiden:
he helped break the curse, turned into a wooden boy in front of Emma, and was shown waking up after the season 2 premiere before dropping off the face of the earth.  Emma makes no mention of him or shows any concern whatsoever, neither does Henry.

I did find the reveal about who Dr. Whale is interesting, and it opened the door to a bunch of whole new possibilities for other worlds.  I also have a pretty good guess at who Emma's boyfriend Neal is, which should be interesting.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 03:53:30 AM »

I thought Season 2 started out pretty bad.  The acting and writing seemed far inferior to the first season.  That said, around the midpoint things really picked up.  I have two episodes to go and it seems like a really strong end to the season.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 09:31:54 PM »

well, my guess at who Neal was is correct, and now I'm wondering if old Henry was really Regina's father after a certain incident...

Spoiler for Hiden:
it seems that Rumple and Cora were once very close...

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 14, 2013, 09:31:54 PM

well, my guess at who Neal was is correct, and now I'm wondering if old Henry was really Regina's father after a certain incident...

Spoiler for Hiden:
it seems that Rumple and Cora were once very close...

My guess is your spoiler.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »

and done with season 2.  Hook is very much my new favorite character, followed by Rumpelstiltskin.  can't wait to see where they go with season 3 and the possible reversal of good versus evil.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »

watched the season 3 premiere last night.

Spoiler for Hiden:
was kind of disappointed that the 'group' looking to destroy magic was all a ruse by Pan.  I was looking forward to some real world group vs fairy tale group conflict.

Interesting start though, hoping the mermaid (I'm assuming Ariel) comes back soon.  Is it wrong that I'm hoping Baelfire bites it so Hook and Emma can hook up?

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 08:49:59 PM »

I really enjoyed the first episode of the new season.  I'm glad they have an overarching storyline and goal so they don't have to contrive situations where the characters are in conflict.  Also, did anyone else get a strong Kingdom Hearts vibe with the shadow stealer and the "heart of the truest believer" talk?  I half expect Henry to be wielding a keyblade soon slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:59 AM »

I LOLd when I saw this while watching Sunday's show.  nothing spoilerish, just bad timing smile

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 02, 2013, 04:27:00 PM

watched the season 3 premiere last night.

Spoiler for Hiden:
was kind of disappointed that the 'group' looking to destroy magic was all a ruse by Pan.  I was looking forward to some real world group vs fairy tale group conflict.

Interesting start though, hoping the mermaid (I'm assuming Ariel) comes back soon.  Is it wrong that I'm hoping Baelfire bites it so Hook and Emma can hook up?

So wrong. You'll kill all that tension for the inevitable triangle!

I am still holding out that Regina is the MOST related to Henry.  eek
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »

The show's a lot of fun but you can tell the writer's are struggling with the magic/powers.  I mean, seriously, Regina's magic seems to have little to no limits, yet they constantly find lame ways to hold her back.  And Rumple should be even more powerful than her, yet he's acting like a pathetic crybaby with his stupid little doll.  Just vaporize that little Peter Pan dweeb already lol.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 09, 2013, 08:56:44 PM

The show's a lot of fun but you can tell the writer's are struggling with the magic/powers.  I mean, seriously, Regina's magic seems to have little to no limits, yet they constantly find lame ways to hold her back.  And Rumple should be even more powerful than her, yet he's acting like a pathetic crybaby with his stupid little doll.  Just vaporize that little Peter Pan dweeb already lol.

yeah, the pussified Rumple is kind of annoying.

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 02:21:18 AM »

Neal is becoming a favorite character.

Has anyone else noticed that, except for Emma and Neal, everyone is Henry's grandparent? (except Regina who would be his step-great-grandmother)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 02:28:59 AM »

even Hook?

got to say I'm not liking the Wonderland spinoff as much as I thought I would.  Alice and the other guy aren't very likeable, the Red Queen seems to have as much acting ability as one of the CGI props, and Jafar seems like he would be more menacing to airport security than to anyone else.

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 02:37:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 23, 2013, 02:28:59 AM

even Hook?

got to say I'm not liking the Wonderland spinoff as much as I thought I would.  Alice and the other guy aren't very likeable, the Red Queen seems to have as much acting ability as one of the CGI props, and Jafar seems like he would be more menacing to airport security than to anyone else.

Even Hook. Love of his life, Neal's mom. They were as married as they could be without a ceremony. Common law I suppose. Then there was the time Neal spent in Neverland aboard the Jolly Roger as Hook's surrogate son. So, yep, I count Hook in that number

*edited to correct characters
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:39:06 AM by sgoldj » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:47 AM »

oh yeah, forgot about her.  I did find it funny when we found out who Regina's true love was supposed to be, along with the whole Mulan-Aurora-Phillip affair.  Haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I LOLd when Mulan revealed who she had feelings for.

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »

The Mulan-Beauty-Philip story hasn't done anything for me. Seems like,those characters are just there to escort The main ones around for a while. I've no reason to care about them yet. Robin and his son were more interesting to me.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »

Robin Hood is hot, but come on, who doesn't like Asian lesbians!!!?!?!??   saywhat
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »

just watched Sunday's episode.  seriously, we need to get rid of Pussystiltskin.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 05:34:06 AM »

just watched Thursday's Wonderland episode....

Spoiler for Hiden:
a sarlacc in Wonderland?

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 26, 2013, 05:34:06 AM

just watched Thursday's Wonderland episode....

Spoiler for Hiden:
a sarlacc in Wonderland?

Spoiler for Hiden:
. Yeah. I am beginning to think that Disney will leave no franchise/license out of these shows
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: