http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:08:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Leno back to late Night? Conan Homeless? 10pm slot on NBC freed up?  (Read 10648 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:10:32 AM »

I knew the jay Leno show was doing bad, but I didn't think they'd screw over Conan and boot him from the Tonight Show.  if this is true it could be a blessing in disguise, especially for shows like Chuck where they don't have enough slots open due to the Jay Show.  if Conan does get booted off the Tonight Show they should give him his old spot back and ditch Fallon.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:50:31 AM »

Other sources are reporting that changes are under consideration but that O'Brien getting dropped is not what is going to happen.  Instead the thought is that Leno would go to a half our show, then O'Brien, and then Fallon.  If nothing else, there are contracts involved that probably can't be gotten out of that quickly anyway.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:22 AM »

Why not give Leno Late Night? I don't think anybody would be sad to see Jimmy Fallon go, so this would be the best move. Barring that, I'd like to see Leno do a car show. Part of the problem with his new show is that it was just too much of the same. What's needed is something fresh.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on January 08, 2010, 04:40:22 AM

Why not give Leno Late Night? I don't think anybody would be sad to see Jimmy Fallon go, so this would be the best move. Barring that, I'd like to see Leno do a car show. Part of the problem with his new show is that it was just too much of the same. What's needed is something fresh.

My wife and I like Jimmy Fallon more than Conan and we wish he would have taken over for the Tonight Show instead.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »

I haven't watched much of the Tonight Show lately, but I've always been a big fan of Conan. I would be a little surprised if this was true, because I remember hearing that there was a clause built into Conan's contract for some big money should the Tonight Show be taken away from him. Maybe reducing it by half an hour wouldn't violate the contract, but I don't know.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »

Conan is hilarious and Leno is a massive ass who'll stab anyone in the back if given the chance.  If these rumors are true, I hope Conan takes NBC to the cleaners with settlements and then gets a show on a competing network.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »

Sounds like they'll be loading up on reality programming then.

Maybe Gold Case will be green-lit?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 08, 2010, 03:53:08 PM

Actually they just ordered an insane number of pilots so it's more likely they are looking to go with scripted shows once Fall hits but before then, yeah, they will probably need to use reality stuff to fill the gap.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 08, 2010, 03:53:08 PM

Maybe Gold Case will be green-lit?

I've got another one called "Cash & Carry."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »

"We have the best comedy team in the business," NBC spokeswomen Rebecca Marks said Thursday evening in response to the speculation. "We remain committed to keeping Conan O'Brien on NBC. He is a valued part of our late-night lineup, as he has been for more than 16 years and is one of the most respected entertainers on television."

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »

There is something to this as Leno went off on NBC in last nite's show. The radio has played sound bites. The rumor is Leno will return to 11:30, with Conan following for one hour and then Fallon.

Does anybody really watch these shows anymore anyway?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »

Another rumor: Conan's trying to decide if he wants to stick around while NBC shuffles him around.  He apparently had a clause in his contract that says if he gets moved out of the Tonight Show, he gets paid cold cash money.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on January 08, 2010, 08:05:05 PM

Another rumor: Conan's trying to decide if he wants to stick around while NBC shuffles him around.  He apparently had a clause in his contract that says if he gets moved out of the Tonight Show, he gets paid cold cash money.

i'd read 40 million.  but i also read that there was wiggle room in the contract to the affect that they could shift the time of the Tonight Show 30 minutes either way, thus the move to give leno a 30 minute show prior to the Tonight Show.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »

This fiasco inspired me to rewatch The Late Shift, the 1996 movie of the previous NBC late night CF.   

I can kind of understand the thinking behind NBC putting Leno on five times a week at 10PM eastern.    The show is cheaper than running five different dramas during the week (and less stomach churning than NBC's standby To Catch a Predator).   Leno's audience is older and more of them would be awake to watch him at 10.  Plus it would keep Leno from going to another network and competing against NBC.       

Now the whole thing has collapsed.   Leno gets a thirty minute show at 11:35pm (for now.  Any bets on how long til he gets the full hour?) Poor Conan gets essentially shoved back into the second tier of late night talk shows after 7 months on the Tonight Show.    It's going to be really interesting to see what happens.        NBC has rushed Chuck back into production to fill the huge Leno shaped hole in their 10PM slot.    I'm afraid they'll  run Chuck 3 or 4 nights a week til the audience burns out on it.   Kinda like what happened with Who wants to be a Millionaire when it was originally in prime time.

I predict either Leno or Conan is off  NBC in six months.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »

There was an article in the New York Post outlining the likely scenario that Fox will make a play for Conan.  All they have to do is pay the 40 million he would lose by leaving the Tonight Show and they could have him.  The article mentioned that Conan is a better fit for Fox's audience anyway.  Something I agree with.  I get the feeling that Conan and Leno's audiences are much different.

I hope Conan does jump ship.  He shouldn't have to be made to look like a fool for NBC's idiotic programming choices.

Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 09, 2010, 05:51:38 PM

There was an article in the New York Post outlining the likely scenario that Fox will make a play for Conan.  All they have to do is pay the 40 million he would lose by leaving the Tonight Show and they could have him.  The article mentioned that Conan is a better fit for Fox's audience anyway.  Something I agree with.  I get the feeling that Conan and Leno's audiences are much different.

I hope Conan does jump ship.  He shouldn't have to be made to look like a fool for NBC's idiotic programming choices.

It's funny.  In this Late Shift movie,   Fox offers essentially the same deal to David Letterman when NBC was dicking him over on the Tonight Show in 1992.  Rupert Murdoch told him they'd give him the 10PM eastern slot and he'd have a thirty minute jump on his competition.     Some of the other offers Letterman got were pretty hilarious, if true.   Paramount pitches Letterman the slot following Arsenio Hall.   The idea of David Letterman playing second fiddle to Arsenio Hall was funny in 1996.  In 2010, it's just mind boggling.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »

I'm sorry Conan blows ass.... I haven't watched his show in years because i simply don't enjoy his type of comedy or interviewing skills.  NBC announced today that the shift will happen with the time slots TBA......

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on January 10, 2010, 09:08:28 PM

I'm sorry Conan blows ass.... I haven't watched his show in years because i simply don't enjoy his type of comedy or interviewing skills.  NBC announced today that the shift will happen with the time slots TBA......

to each their own.  i think conan is almost up there with letterman in his ability to be funny with an edge.  i rank them thusly

letterman
kimmel
conan
ferguson
fallon
a bowl of fruit
leno

this latest debacle by nbc and leno (even though he wants everyone to believe he's not involved, i'm betting his ego is a large reason nbc is catering to him) just makes me dislike the guy more.  i really hope conan jumps ship to fox.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 03:22:17 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 08, 2010, 02:56:15 PM

Conan is hilarious and Leno is a massive ass who'll stab anyone in the back if given the chance.  If these rumors are true, I hope Conan takes NBC to the cleaners with settlements and then gets a show on a competing network.

+1

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »

I thought The A Bowl of Fruit Show was cancelled.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3cjCaGYrCc

I thought that was funny though.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 06:12:55 PM »

Fallon would be pushed back to 1:05 am.  that's gotta suck for the guy.

dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »

If leno does get a 10:30 slot I guess I'll be getting to bed early again.  It was a travesty when he took over for JC.  He sucked back then, he sucks now.  Conan and Andy are cool.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 11, 2010, 06:12:55 PM

The radio morning show was talking about the whole late night debacle and they quoted Fallon as saying he wasn't too concerned about when he aired because most of his viewers were dvr'ing his show anyway.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 07:23:57 PM »

Quote from: Flatlander on January 11, 2010, 07:19:27 PM

The radio morning show was talking about the whole late night debacle and they quoted Fallon as saying he wasn't too concerned about when he aired because most of his viewers were dvr'ing his show anyway.

that's a pretty healthy attitude for a tv show host.  glad to see that fallon isn't too wrapped up in his own fame.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 11, 2010, 07:23:57 PM

Quote from: Flatlander on January 11, 2010, 07:19:27 PM

that's a pretty healthy attitude for a tv show host.  glad to see that fallon isn't too wrapped up in his own fame.

Fallon's been pretty good about his place in late night.  I think he's just happy to have a job.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 11:50:51 PM »

The more I learn about Fallon and the way he's handling his show, the more I like him.  The more I see and hear about Leno, the more I want to punch him in the chin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 12:36:44 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on January 11, 2010, 11:50:51 PM

The more I see and hear about Leno, the more I want to punch him in the chin.

you'd probably only break your hand.

Because I can,
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 01:24:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 12, 2010, 12:36:44 AM

No chance of missing it at least.

I thought Leno's new show as a complete snore fest.  NBC are idiots.

Go Gunners...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 01:26:45 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on January 12, 2010, 01:24:44 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 12, 2010, 12:36:44 AM

No chance of missing it at least.

just hope he doesn't pull out his magical powers!

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »

and conan is out

The 'Tonight Show' host issued the following statement Tuesday:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

pretty gracious, considering.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 12, 2010, 08:30:42 PM

and conan is out

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

This is why I love Conan.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »

Conan is the man!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »

Here's what NBC is doing:  They're focusing largely on old-school ratings, which aren't good for Conan due to DVRs and Hulu.  They're hemorrhaging money so badly that they could be bought by Comcast.  They have NO tentpole franchises on their schedule.  The Tonight Show used to make a lot of money for them, and it's the one area that they could quickly make money IF they put Jay Leno back.  Leno knows this and wants his old job back.  Conan's the odd man out for a network that's in really bad shape.  To keep Conan in his spot, as well-liked as he is, would be more money out the door that NBC feels they can't afford.

Is it the right choice?  No.  Those viewers of Conan are going to get older and keep following Conan for years, just like David Letterman's audience keeps going.  If they were patient, they would stick with Conan, but Jay Leno screwed the network royally and gets to stay on for it.  It's a travesty.  Hopefully Conan lands on his feet.  He has too big of an audience not to.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »

I love Conan. I like Leno. NBC screw themselves and both of them by making this arrangement and now wanting to rescind it. This will be end ugly for someone. I'll follow Conan wherever he lands!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:12 PM »

Conan is going to do a David Letterman and end up on Fox @ 11 pm

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »

Gotta love a guy who begins a statement with:
People of Earth
icon_lol

If worst comes to worse, I wonder if Conan'll really leave, or if he'll have himself duct-taped to the Tonight Show set, and challenge them to remove him.  icon_razz

I liked his joke the other night about him and Leno airing shows simultaneously on NBC, that you'll watch on split screen.  Bring your own!

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »

Leno should just walk away from this whole mess.  he's already had his run and made a ridiculous amount of money in the process...enough that he can keep his incredible car collection and never work another day.  the most respectable thing to do in this situation would be to let Conan keep his show, but i think we all know that NBC is never going to let that happen...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:34:28 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:51 PM »

What about Andy, Max, La Bamba and Abe Vigoda??????  WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?!?!?1!?!?

Because I can,
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 10:38:09 PM »

Ugh, I wish Leno would just go away.  He stepped down and passed the reins to Conan.  Poor class to take Conan's new gig just because his new thing didn't work out.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: