http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [tv] Hannibal  (Read 470 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »

That was far more entertaining than The Following and even better than Bates Motel. 

Mikkelsen knocks it out of the park, and Dancy is a damn fine Graham.  I can see the show becoming a cat and mouse style struggle between these two characters.  I'm not sure how they can sustain the current plot for more than a season or two, but I'm guessing that with a talent like Fuller behind it all, they'll find a perfect way to segue into new territory as the show goes on.

Two thumbs way up!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »

crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »

I thought it was pretty good but honestly it just made me want to watch Silence of the Lambs again.  Jodie and Anthony ftw!!!

I dunno about the guy they got for Hannibal.  He's a great actor with a great presence but he's just so freaking creepy looking it's hard to imagine anyone not being suspicious of him.  I think that's what made Anthony Hopkins so incredibly perfect for the role.  Until he shows his evil side he just seems like a super smart, intense British guy.  I really enjoy Hugh Dancy in general, but it almost feels like they go too far with his "empathic" powers.  It's one thing to be empathic, and quite another to be psychic.  The way they shoot his "empathy" sequences seem much more psychic/intuitive than empathic.  In the previous movies it was more of a "put yourself in the mindset of the killer" kind of thing.  This version seems like he can do that and beyond, but also take the perspective of the victim as well as take massive leaps in figuring things out from the barest of evidence. 

I'm also wondering if this is supposed to follow the Manhunter or Red Dragon storyline or SotL or is it totally unique, i.e. is Hannibal going to be revealed as a bad guy within this show or is it all before any of that.  Also wondering what time period it's in, as the review I read noted there's clearly no cel phones or much in the way of computers, etc.  Judging by the clothes, maybe the 70s?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »

The pilot had the wife and I riveted throughout the whole episode. The show seemed to be able to hook us immediately and remained interesting/disturbing at all times. I have high hopes for Hannibal.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »

I liked the second episode more, I'm not sure why.  Maybe because they toned down Hannibal's creepy makeup a bit, he seemed more normal and accessible.  I also noticed they very clearly set the show into the present with technology, which seems like it might have been a change from the original pilot.

I also re-watched Red Dragon over the weekend, I had forgotten that they show how Will ends up stopping Hannibal.  It will be interesting to see if/how they adhere to the books (or not).
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:44:22 AM »

I've watched the first couple of episodes and so far, I'm enjoying it. The actor that plays Hannibal Lecter, Madds Mikkelsen, is very good. I'm going to keep watching.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »

Im not sold on Madds portrayal of Lecter, especially with how they are portraying Graham.  Considering his bordering on the supernatural empathetic abilities and Lectors considerable creepiness factor, I dont know how Graham could spend more than 5 minutes with Lector without major alarms going off.
Spoiler for Hiden:
  Also, I have problems with Lectors random copy killing. Lector was not a random killer and his ego wouldnt allow him to be anyones copycat.  His victims have always been someone who threatened him in some way or was someone who was rude or uncouth towards him. Take the reporter that he let live for example....  the real Lecter would have had her for dinner. 

It is a good show if you can separate the characters from who they are in the books, because they are different.  Its worth watching but requires that you somewhat disconnect from the source material.  The problem is that the writers like to throw you little bits of the origional Lector, in a nudge, nudge, wink, wink fashion, which tends to make that disconnect tougher to do.  Ill continue to watch but I really hope they tone down the creep factor oozing from Lecter a bit, the more they push that, the less believable and sustainable the plotline becomes.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »

Starts May 7th for UK disgust

Gonna give it a go,from the trailers on TV it looks like its going to be quite interesting

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »

It seems Episode 4 will not be shown next week,but will instead go straight to Episode 5 because of the past few months news
http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/nbc-pulls-episode-4-of-hannibal-in-wake-of-newtown-boston-bombings-1200390579/

After several particularly violent months in America, NBC has decided to pull episode four of frosh drama “Hannibal” from its lineup due to the disturbing content involving children murdering other children.

Fourth episode of the grisly serial killer drama featured Molly Shannon’s character brainwashing kids, leading them to kill other children.

Episode four was slated to air next week. Peacock will instead move directly to episode five. While the drama is serialized, NBC claims there will be no continuity issues, noting that TV critics have seen episodes three and five, and not four.

“I didn’t want to have anyone come to the show and have a negative experience,” Fuller told Variety. “Whenever you [write] a story and look at the sensational aspects of storytelling, you think, ‘This is interesting metaphorically, and this is interesting as social commentary.’ With this episode, it wasn’t about the graphic imagery or violence. It was the associations that came with the subject matter that I felt would inhibit the enjoyment of the overall episode. … It was my own sensitivity.”

Fuller cited the Sandy Hook shooting in December and this week’s Boston Marathon bombings as the root of this sensitivity issue. “Hannibal,” from Gaumont Intl., was filmed before the events in Newtown, Conn., had transpired.

By pulling episode four from the lineup, NBC has effectively bumped the frosh season of “Hannibal” up a week. The season finale for “Hannibal,” originally slated for June 27, will now be on June 20.

I never like the idea of censorship(I feel its up the the viewer and helps if you put it on late enough,but however there are some dumb people out there),but given the recent stuff,I guess I can understand it,however i hope there is an option to still see this episode in its entirety at a future date....as said if the series doesn't start until May 7th for me,hopefully by the time episode 4 is due to be shown we will get it normally

EDIT; Whoops,missed this line,so i hope the episode can be shown for you guys in the future
Peacock notes that the fourth episode will run overseas, but not in the States.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:34:03 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:26:04 PM »

looks like I'll be looking for the episode online then.  If I can't find it there I'll end up Netfllixing the rest of the season when it hits blu; they'll probably market it as including the unaired episode 'NBC Execs Pussy Out' biggrin

before anyone cries 'knee-jerk reaction' my main reason is that, at least to me, it feels like the narrative is a bit too tight in order for them to be skipping ahead.  I'd rather wait to see it in the order they had planned so I have no problem waiting.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:37:49 AM »

looks like they are 'cannibalizing' the skipped episode into some webisodes.  Fuller explains; turns out there is indeed important moments in it.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: