http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:06:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Eureka Season 4 discussion  (Read 1789 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:33:32 AM »

What a nice refreshing episode, and wow, what changes.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Overall an enjoyable episode about time, one that doesn't take itself too seriously. But also makes things interesting for the following season. I'd bemoan how much they use various time travel/alternate universe stuff to change things up for a new season, but Eureka is just such a fun show that I can get over it.

Tess is back, most likely since the actress' other show got cancelled, but good to see her back, which should lead to some interesting dynamics between Carter, Tess, and Allison. Interesting how they put a new scene where Tess dumps Carter in the "previously on" segment, but I guess starting out the season with Tess dumping in the episode proper would have been too much of a downer. Will be interesting how the new timeline affects Zoe if she ever shows up again.

Allison's son is no longer autistic, and it's good to see him back on the show, both because there needs to be a new young face on the show to replace Zoe, but also because he's of African descent.

Poor Jo though. It was a nice bit of writing hooking her up and a good change of character, for her and Zach.

And Henry getting the ol' ball and chain, what an interesting touch.  I was wishing that it was the Asian woman he was pining over before though.

So, despite almost losing Tess and Zoe, Eureka seems to have gained an new more diverse batch of characters.

Edit: D'oh! Sorry, hit the quote button instead of the spoiler tag button.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 02:35:26 AM by Turtle » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 01:56:45 AM »

Hhmmm missed it and the DVR didn't get it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »

nice to have Eureka back....great way to kick things off and a really interesting setup for the rest of the season.  it should be really interesting to see how the changes affect everyone and everything in Eureka over the course of the show.  i'm also pretty excited to see that James Callis will be a part of the show for a while.  he did a great job as Baltar in Battlestar Galactica and should be an interesting character here.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 02:36:02 AM »

Yeah, Callis makes a nice addition, and it's nice to see him as a more serious character, on a less serious show.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 04:51:11 AM »

DVR caught it, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:55:11 AM »

PHEW! My other dvr grabbed it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:55:59 AM »

Quote from: disarm on July 11, 2010, 02:14:19 AM

nice to have Eureka back....great way to kick things off and a really interesting setup for the rest of the season.  it should be really interesting to see how the changes affect everyone and everything in Eureka over the course of the show.  i'm also pretty excited to see that James Callis will be a part of the show for a while.  he did a great job as Baltar in Battlestar Galactica and should be an interesting character here.

wait, Baltar is joining?  sweet!

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »

good episode. I thought that bit about carter getting dumped was a retcon, good to see my memory isn't complete crap.

it's pretty clear how they are setting this up though. one camp has good changes, the other, not so much. I bet it'll lead to them trying to undo that or something to that affect. I hope I'm wrong because I hate time travel in shows because it's always a giant reset button eventually. I really hope this means Eureka is doing a more story arc than a few episodes a season. I know it's an upbeat show, but that doesn't mean there can't be a sense of story and changes. The old something goes wrong and fixed would be very tired for a fourth year.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »

I liked it a lot but I love the show.  I was a bit disappointed though since this feels a lot like the plot where Kim died and Henry changed the time line.  Season 2 I think.  Anyway still a great show that I wait for each week.

WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »

Bound to happen when you mess with things like they do.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 02:28:08 AM »

I looked up Callis on wik and IMDB...

Spoiler for "Future episodes spoilers":
Wiki says he's around for 5 episodes, IMDB says 4.  Given current production, I'd say that's a minimum and it may turn out to be more.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 01:04:17 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 11, 2010, 10:21:07 AM

good episode. I thought that bit about carter getting dumped was a retcon, good to see my memory isn't complete crap.

that part threw me too.  good episode:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm curious to see what Fargo finds on his return since they left him out.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »

New episode!  Wow, so many characters!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, question answered, Fargo is head of GD? Lupo is head of security, a nice promotion. Kind of makes up for them losing their SOs.

Sheriff--er, Deputy Andy?! I was wondering when we'd see that cowardly robot again.

Watching it right now, but this season is pretty interesting even if they retreaded already covered territory.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:56:36 PM by Turtle » Logged
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 17, 2010, 10:54:50 PM

New episode!  Wow, so many characters!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, question answered, Fargo is head of GD? Lupo is head of security, a nice promotion. Kind of makes up for them losing their SOs.

Sheriff--er, Deputy Andy?! I was wondering when we'd see that cowardly robot again.

Watching it right now, but this season is pretty interesting even if they retreaded already covered territory.

Cowardly?  He came in to save Jack at the end of his main episode risking his own life when he didn't have to.  He has always seemed very courageous to me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I am wondering if this really will be their reality from now on.  No take backs?  I can't believe it.  I am also still waiting for Nathan to be back.  It is a different time line after all.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:30:20 PM by farley2k » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »

about the latest episode:

Spoiler for Hiden:
does anyone think the current reality seems too good to be true?  Allison has her son become normal, Jo is the head of GD security instead of a deputy, Fargo is head of GD, Henry is married to Grace, Carter has Tess back and Trevor Grant gets his wish of seeing the future.  it's almost like they each got their hearts desire.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Except that Alison lost her directorship and power, Jo thought she was going to get married, Fargo doesn't know crap about running things and lost his girlfriend, Henry has no idea who Grace is, Carter has lost his chance at Alison, and Trevor's going to be so far out of his element with 60 years of science to catch up on.

It's a mixed bag.  Time will tell.  I don't think they're going to be able to pull it off, be happy and not completely screw things up.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 01:33:13 AM »

I meant cowardly in that the first time they were going to send him into harms way, he chickened out and refused.

Oh, and don't forget:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fargo may not have made the best choices while director of GD.  I'll bet you'll see the return of more military interference in Eureka, especially considering the civilian director of Eureka disappeared 60 years ago so there was no one to oppose the military decisions.  The call from the secretary of defense and the secret project were indicators of this.

Also, Jo has always been pretty military, her as head of security adds to my suspicions.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »

So what did people think of the Zombie episode?  Personally I would rate it at the bottom of the list.  It felt really contrived to create the final big payoff.  The power just went off at the right time (well some parts because there were a lot flashing lights - clearly to give a more scary effect.), every zombie decided to attack Allison, etc.  While obviously all the episodes have things happening to build up to a climax this episode seemed to have more than usual of things with no purpose but to setup the final scene. 

All in all it isn't an episode I will watch again.  Nothing really happened, well one thing but that was pretty clearly coming. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »

A Wil Wheaton guest appearance seems to sound the death knell for the relationship of the primary characters. 

I thought it was a fun little episode.  We learned more about the alternate personalities that the mains replaced, we moved forward in the relationship aspect, and things progressed, albeit not rapidly. 

Next week is all about the kiddies, as the guide blurb mentioned both Kevin and Zoe.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 10:10:22 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 26, 2010, 04:16:46 PM

So what did people think of the Zombie episode?  Personally I would rate it at the bottom of the list.  It felt really contrived to create the final big payoff.  The power just went off at the right time (well some parts because there were a lot flashing lights - clearly to give a more scary effect.), every zombie decided to attack Allison, etc.  While obviously all the episodes have things happening to build up to a climax this episode seemed to have more than usual of things with no purpose but to setup the final scene. 

All in all it isn't an episode I will watch again.  Nothing really happened, well one thing but that was pretty clearly coming. 

Yeah. The B story with Henry and Baltar was way more interesting. Shame. Waste of WHil WHeaton.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »

Just bringing this thread back up top for some more discussion now that we're much farther into the new season. Episode 8 as of this posting.

Uh, so yeah, crazy stuff.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »

Yup.  Unfortunately, Season 4 ends in a week and a half after only nine episodes.   icon_frown

We'll get a season 5.  I'm just hoping they order a bigger set of episodes.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 30, 2010, 02:54:06 PM

Yup.  Unfortunately, Season 4 ends in a week and a half after only nine episodes.   icon_frown

We'll get a season 5.  I'm just hoping they order a bigger set of episodes.

I thought they said season 4 was going to be 20 episodes.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »

That would be excellent news.  Hopefully they're just splitting it up like they did last year. 

I suppose a break like that makes for the ability to do tighter story arcs without people complaining that they shift gears in the middle of a season.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 03:03:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2010, 02:59:29 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 30, 2010, 02:54:06 PM

Yup.  Unfortunately, Season 4 ends in a week and a half after only nine episodes.   icon_frown

We'll get a season 5.  I'm just hoping they order a bigger set of episodes.

I thought they said season 4 was going to be 20 episodes.

Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day have been talking about episodes they are filming and those haven't aired yet, right?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »

You are correct.  Something I should have remembered, as he was on the episode that aired 7/23 and he's been Tweeting about working on Eureka again.   retard

IGNORE ME!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 03:10:19 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 30, 2010, 03:09:26 PM

IGNORE ME!

did someone say something?

Because I can,
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 03:22:26 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 30, 2010, 03:09:26 PM

IGNORE ME!

That comes back in two weeks also.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »

This is why I like to just wait until it hits DVD.  It drives me nuts to get half a season and then wait a few months until the rest.

What did everyone think of "The Ex-Files"?  I found it one of the better episodes of the season, but I like the light hearted stuff a lot better than the attempts at tension like the zombie episode.  I also really, really like the banter with Stark and Jack.  I miss Stark because he was one of the only people who hated Jack - or at least picked on him a lot.  

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 03:29:24 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 30, 2010, 03:25:54 PM

This is why I like to just wait until it hits DVD.  It drives me nuts to get half a season and then wait a few months until the rest.

just don't forget they seem to be releasing the seasons in half sets, like there was a Season 3 and a Season 3.5 set.

Because I can,
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 30, 2010, 03:25:54 PM

What did everyone think of "The Ex-Files"?  I found it one of the better episodes of the season, but I like the light hearted stuff a lot better than the attempts at tension like the zombie episode.  I also really, really like the banter with Stark and Jack.  I miss Stark because he was one of the only people who hated Jack - or at least picked on him a lot.  

Great episode.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »

Yeah, I was really excited to see Stark back, even if it was only for one episode. 

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 10:29:09 PM »

Still not reading this thread. Still not watched any of this season. Have it all DVRd for one big marathon. I hope they have brought back Sheriff Andy for a episode or two. Liked the character.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 10:58:48 PM »

Stark was back?  I must watch that episode tonight!

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 04:05:26 AM »

Daehawk, I would tell you that they change actors, but you wouldn't read it until it was too late.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 05:16:26 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 31, 2010, 04:05:26 AM

Daehawk, I would tell you that they change actors, but you wouldn't read it until it was too late.

I was expecting that to be a running gag where they change him every episode.

Because I can,
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2010, 05:16:26 AM

...and I was expecting them to do that with Deputy Andy, getting blown up and reskinned every episode.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »

I don't think you could find a large enough pool of actors to maintain that level of creepy for an entire season.  And making it a "You killed Kenny" thing would be a little tired.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2010, 05:16:26 AM

That would be a lot funnier than the guy then got for the roll.  I dislike him greatly.  I can't imagine that the first guy they had was demanding so much money they needed to drop him. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »

The original Sheriff Andy was Ty Olsson.  He's off playing in "Shattered" in Canadia. 

The new guy is Kavan Smith, late of Stargate Atlantis (Major Evan Lorne) and a guest spot on Human Target.  He will also be in Red (the Felicia Day one) and Stargate: Extinction (direct to video next year).

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: