http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 04:01:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Doctor Who  (Read 1556 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »

I agree on your first spoiler point
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Weeping Statue of Liberty looked good on paper, it really doesn't hold up at all and is kind of ridiculous
But I have to say the Weeping Angels have been weakened considerably since their first outing.  

In general, I think Moffet is the best thing to happen to Who since Tom Baker, but he has an issue with "more is more" and the villains.  The Daleks have become kind of a joke, for example.  

I just watched the first reboot episode with a single Dalek recently.  First of all, Eccleston was terrified to see just that one (and anything that would terrify the Doctor, even in that early going, had to be something to take seriously).  And we soon saw why.  That Dalek cleverly and brutally took out a whole squad of armed soldiers in one go and continued to wreak havok for the whole episode.  Now we just get bigger and bigger rooms of more and more Daleks, which is supposed to be enough.  However, they actually become less menacing because they're just sitting around.  We don't see them do anything.  We hear about how they wiped out entire planets, we hear them say "exterminate" but we need to actually see them do so, I think, to take them seriously again (and/or kill a companion or River, permanently).  It used to be a Dalek would appear, and you would say, "Oh, crap!"  Now I just say "Oh, crap" because I find their voices annoying.

We're heading down the same route with the angels, IMO.  They're still scary, of course.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
The baby angels were a nice touch.
But in the beginning in the phenomenal episode with Tennant, there were very few and they were just horrifying. Easily the most terrifying, cleverly created villains since the dudes in "Hush" on BtVS.  Then we went to a whole planet of them.  It was like going from Alien to Aliens, but they weren't trying to shift genres.  They tried to multiply them and still have them be horrifying.  The blinded Amy thing was a nice twist in that one, but it was a step in the wrong direction.  Plus we found out a bit about them.  Fear comes from the unknown, so don't explain them.  

With this ep, we've had it piled on even more.  The aforementioned problem being one aspect, but also
Spoiler for Hiden:
by making them churn out the humans in a sort of battery factory takes away the one on one intimacy of them.  Now there was a nice return to it at the end, and while I understand the need for a narrated coda from Amy to finish the episode and the Ponds' story line, it took away the horror of what happened to them.  Not to mention it made it confusing.  So, what, they got sent back in time, but Amy could still publish a book?  How is that so awful?  The detective in the hotel room and old Rory made it seem like you were trapped there, alone until you died.  But if Amy is able to write a bit in a book and publish it, it seems they're just having the home life they were craving in another time, which is kind of cool.  Plus, if River is able to get a manuscript to her, how is that a "fixed time" that the Doctor can't get to?  Seems a little "because the writer told us so" to me.

I don't think the Angels are ruined yet.  I actually liked the planet episode and didn't hate this one (I was just expecting more).  But I think we shouldn't see them again for a long time for them to remain terrifying.  If/when they do come back, it should be smaller, not bigger.  And I think something truly awful should be done with the Daleks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:35:54 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 06:18:51 PM »

Agree with pretty much everything you posted there with things getting less scary.

I didn't care for this episode as much since they seemed to be all over the place and not really focusing well enough on one subject. Like the initial detective guy seemed like an odd, and drawn out way, to introduce the angels. There's the collector who I though was going to be the focus of the episode as he knew about the angels and figured they would focus on why he would risk his own well being on pissing off the angels. But he was kinda just dropped to the wayside - literally.

I also must have missed why River was there at that time and place but she also seemed unnecessary - although I did like her and the Doctors interactions in this one.

To me the episode just seems all over the place moving from one thing to another too quickly. By the time they got to the final reveal I was kinda disinterested. So it didn't work for me.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »

On your last spoiler...

Spoiler for Hiden:
The tragedy wasn't for the ponds, they got to live happily ever after. The farm/hotel was destroyed by the paradox Amy and rory created. The tragedy was for the doctor only, who can't ever see them again and is now alone. Now, there is another nit to pick. I get why the doctor can't SAVE Amy and rory, but why can't he ever see them again? He could go visit them. Even if 1930s New York is still "time locked", does that mean he can't see them in the 40s? The 50s? Etc.

All that nit picking aside I still think all 3 angels story were a blast, but yes I still think Blink is the best of them and yes I am ready for a break from them.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 01, 2012, 06:22:30 PM

On your last spoiler...

Spoiler for Hiden:
The tragedy wasn't for the ponds, they got to live happily ever after. The farm/hotel was destroyed by the paradox Amy and rory created. The tragedy was for the doctor only, who can't ever see them again and is now alone. Now, there is another nit to pick. I get why the doctor can't SAVE Amy and rory, but why can't he ever see them again? He could go visit them. Even if 1930s New York is still "time locked", does that mean he can't see them in the 40s? The 50s? Etc.

All that nit picking aside I still think all 3 angels story were a blast, but yes I still think Blink is the best of them and yes I am ready for a break from them.

You're right.  I had skipped over that fix.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Still, everyone seemed very sad over Amy's wanting to make that choice, and over what had happened to Rory.  And it still doesn't explain why River can contact them in the past but the Doctor cannot.

EDIT:  My wife pointed out that there were problems getting the TARDIS into New York in that era earlier in the episode and that things got even more messed up with the fix at the end, and I know River's being there more easily was explained, too, but it still seems like a writer out than a natural flow of the story.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:16:00 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 01, 2012, 06:18:51 PM

Like the initial detective guy seemed like an odd, and drawn out way, to introduce the angels. There's the collector who I though was going to be the focus of the episode as he knew about the angels and figured they would focus on why he would risk his own well being on pissing off the angels. But he was kinda just dropped to the wayside - literally.

I also must have missed why River was there at that time and place but she also seemed unnecessary - although I did like her and the Doctors interactions in this one.

I liked this episode much more than the two-parter (which I thought was just plain awful). Aside from that, I agree with what everyone is saying here. Sick to death (and have been) of Rory and Amy. Goodbye and good riddance.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »

I wasn't sick to death of the Ponds at all, though I do think they weren't handled well this season at all.  The fight at the beginning was forced and didn't have a payoff.  They spent a lot of episodes standing around, looking bemused or frustrated.  And their ending was a little weak.

But, man, I will miss Amy Pond.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »

I like the characters individually, and can tolerate them as a couple, but so over the whole sentimental "love to last all time" stuff. To clarify, that was great when it happened, it's the beating of the horse I'm referencing.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2013, 07:53:05 PM »

50th trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loGm3vT8EAQ
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: