http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:24:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Doctor Who  (Read 1473 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »

Okay, so after reading all the posts, comments, etc here and all over the interwebz, I want to know what all the fuzz is about? My question is, what's the best place to get started? I'm not really into the old 60's and 70's TV shows, so there's that to consider.

Rick
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »

I used to watch it in the 80s with Peter Davidson,Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy...actually i got a bit fed up by the time McCoy came around,and i think after that it buggered off for a while

As for where to start nowadays,i can't really comment because i never did get back into it,but i am going to guess that everyone says Christopher Eccleston,because i think its considered a reboot from that point,although Eccleston is still counted as the 9th Doctor...so can't be overly sure on that point

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »

Eccleston. They cover the old callbacks in enough detail to get you up to speed on the old enemies. I think the only thing you might benefit from reading up on when appropriate (in Tennant's run) is Sarah Jane and K-9.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »

Start with the reboot from 2005. Series One, starring Christopher Eccleston. No knowledge of the classic series is required. If you fall in love with the show and want to explore its earlier incarnation, then come back to this thread and we'll give you advice. If you have Netflix, nearly all of the new series is available for streaming. (One of the 2009 specials isn't.)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »

What JCC said.

The old stuff is great if you grow up on it but I think it would be hard to love if you are not in the right mood.  Meanwhile the new stuff is just great and can be enjoyed by anyone.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:04:52 PM »

Another for 2005 season (BBC/CBC collaboration).

It takes place after the war of the Daleks and Timelords (AFAIK) and isn't a reboot so much as a major milestone in the lineage.

Sofar, my favorite doctor is Tennant.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

Yeah, you have to start with Eccleston, but know that it takes that first season a little bit of time to start firing on all cylinders (I feel like it really takes off with the gas mask WWII episode, but it was getting good before that, IIRC).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »

2005 is going to be your best bet, if only because the previous seasons are hit or miss on availability of the episodes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »

Most all of the new episodes are on netflix streaming right now so that's a good place to start if you have it.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »

One more thing. Assuming you do start with series one, to truly give the show a chance you should watch at least the first 3 episodes. They will give you a good idea of the kind of thing you can expect from the show. Next, there is a two partner that tends to work more for the Brits than Americans. Episode 6 is the first truly great episode IMO. If you can hold out to episodes 9 and 10 and don't want to continue  then you have given the show more than a fair try.

-John

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »

I'm 8 episodes into the 1st (2005) season, and I'm enjoying it so far. The first few episodes were a little shaky, almost a little too British-y, but it's grown on me. Now, I have to try to get my wife into it.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 12:03:20 AM »

You are on the cusp of awesome!

-John

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 01:21:53 AM »

Sometimes I still freak my GF out with the line "Are you my mummy?" icon_twisted Hell, it's my steam profile.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:24 AM »

Wait until you get to Series 4's Midnight. 

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 04:38:08 AM »

Eventually you will get to "Blink"  and be amazed. Best Dr. Who episode Ive ever seen.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 04:39:05 AM »

Blink was really good, though not the best IMHO.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »

Looking forward to it. Going to see about getting the wife started on it this weekend. Wish me luck!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on September 12, 2012, 12:57:05 PM

Looking forward to it. Going to see about getting the wife started on it this weekend. Wish me luck!

Tennant was an easy draw for my wife.  She's hooked now.

Question: I have a 9 year old daughter.  We've watched the Sarah Jane Adventures with her, and she'd like to see Doctor Who.  I remember thinking she'd have to wait a while when I watched them originally, but I remember seeing a ton of kids in the videos for "the proms".  What age do people generally think is appropriate?

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

I think 9 is more than old enough, unless your daughter just doesn't handle anything scary well.

I personally started Doctor Who when I was around 8 years old (back in 1981). Doctor Who definitely gave me nightmares as a child (it was in some ways more and less "adult" than the current show), but I always loved being scared - nightmares or not.

In the UK many parents let them watch from toddler age on.

-John

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

The only episodes my 10 year old daughter wouldn't watch was the ones with the angels smile

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 01:22:01 AM »

I don't blame her. The angels are the most sinister Dr Who "aliens" ever.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 01:49:46 AM »

Ya, the weeping angels are pretty creepy but the silence was probably a close second.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 05:28:51 AM »

We're two in (I forgot how grumpy Eccelston was at the beginning).

She really loves it, but she has been sitting close to us on the couch for a few scenes.

We're in debate mode about Blink, a little.  Yeah, it's creepy, but it's so damn good.  Fortunately, we have some time before we get there.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 05:45:02 AM »

Note to how Netflix does streaming:

When Tennent's run ended, they closed out the arc with the usual monster sized finale. The next ep starts with the new Doctor (Matt Smith). People who actually watched the show will notice there are three specials missing in between. The first special isn't on streaming though it's available on disc (nothing of note except he gets a prophesy which he repeats in the next special so you can skip it). The second special is Waters of Mars and the last one is The End of Time Parts 1 & 2. You need to watch those in that order prior to season 5. Like I said, you're a ways off but wanted to give you a heads up sooner rather than later.

Also Blink is genuinely awesome. "You're not watching it either." smile

The show did take me up to the "are you my mummy" two-parter to get into it. It's just so very British at the start before finding its own groove. The last several eps of season 1 are good, and personally I liked Eccleston in the role. I thought it was great watching him have so damn much fun for once in his life. Tennent is my favorite of the three newest Doctors and Smith has, frankly, worn out his welcome for me. I'm curious how they're going to wrap up the new season and whether or not he'll leave at the end of it.

There's a rumor going 'round that fans are trying to get a campaign for Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir on Deep Space 9) to play the next Doctor. This would rule, IMO.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 08:57:26 AM »

Yeah, it'd actually be nice to have a non-white doctor, they can regenerate to look like anything after all, even ginger. slywink
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 15, 2012, 08:57:26 AM

Yeah, it'd actually be nice to have a non-white doctor, they can regenerate to look like anything after all, even ginger. slywink

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 04:27:15 AM »

Win!

Total win.

Chris Rock as The Doctor would be very interesting.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »

Um...

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »

icon_lol

ssshhhhh....don't tell him.

back on topic:  i really liked A Town Called Mercy.  It had all things I like about a stand alone Who episode without all the drama of Rory and Amy to muck things up. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »

Mercy was ruined for me by the ending, which was a total cop out.

-John

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »

Why?  The entire point of the other doctor was to draw a parallel between our doctor and himself.  That he chose to end things the way he did only served to reinforce the concept that being around others who believe in the greater good, self sacrifice and compassion is the only thing that saves our doctor from becoming...bad.

(was that vague enough to avoid spoilers?  Or should I put in spoilers?)

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:21 AM »

Spoilers for Mercy:

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's a cheap cop out ending. You build up this lovely moral ambiguity. The gunslinger is the sympathetic character, but ultimately a bad guy because he won't settle for anything but Jex's death. Jex is a fundamentally good man who did something horrible to win a war. The Doctor has to decide to forgive Jex for his crimes and then try to save him from the gunslinger, but he also doesn't want to kill the gunslinger who remains sympathetic. This wonderful dilemma never gets solved since Jex ultimately decides to kill himself at the end! If he had decided that earlier, he could have saved us the hour. COP OUT ENDING.

-John

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »

Quote from: JCC on September 19, 2012, 01:36:21 AM

Spoilers for Mercy:

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's a cheap cop out ending. You build up this lovely moral ambiguity. The gunslinger is the sympathetic character, but ultimately a bad guy because he won't settle for anything but Jex's death. Jex is a fundamentally good man who did something horrible to win a war. The Doctor has to decide to forgive Jex for his crimes and then try to save him from the gunslinger, but he also doesn't want to kill the gunslinger who remains sympathetic. This wonderful dilemma never gets solved since Jex ultimately decides to kill himself at the end! If he had decided that earlier, he could have saved us the hour. COP OUT ENDING.

Spoiler for Hiden:
No, it wasn't.  Jex needed to get to the point where he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.  The death of the Sheriff, the (eventual) support of the townsfolk, the realization of the extent of his crimes, it was all part of the journey he needed to make in order to get to the point where he could make the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good and his own redemption.  They also pointed out just WHY he was loathe to just kill himself by explaining the nature of his religion and its beliefs in what happens to a man after he dies. 

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »

Reasonable minds can disagree. I really didn't care for the ending and it marred the episode as a whole for me.

-John

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »

no one has ever accused me of being reasonable.  you take that back!

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »

Peter Jackson says "Name a time and a place" when asked if he'd like to direct an episode of Dr. Who.

It may be lip service, but it's still cool to hear.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »

I enjoyed the Power of Three episode with the exception of the ending where they tried to both expand the story and wrap it up in 3 minutes; and the final line. But the overall slow invasion story was quirky and kinda fun. I also liked the Ponds much better in this episode as they actually enjoyed their company and were having fun.

Which brings up the speculation of whats going on this season. Mainly that these episodes, while shown in order, are actually out of order from the Doctor's point of view. That he's actually going back in time to spend certain moments with the Ponds. So the Daleks episode is actually later in the time line where the Ponds are not getting along and going through a divorce. The Dinosaur and Mercy episodes likely happened at some point when they stepped out for "7 minutes" from their party in this last episode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The producers have been pretty open about the Ponds being replaced by a new companion this season. So if they're dieing or whatever this could show how the Doctor is coping with the loss and going back in time for one last blast.

In any case it would be pretty neat if this theory is correct and would shed some new light on these last few episodes.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »

I really enjoyed power of three. It reminded me a bit of the Davies' experimental episodes like say "love and monsters" only much better. Wow, they really set us up for an emotional fall for this week's episode.

-John

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »

Wow, so...

Spoiler for Hiden:
So that's how they lose Amy and Rory, all so sudden. Stupid Angels, but I'm glad they didn't bring back all those extra powers they had in the crashed ship episode.

Also, you gotta wonder what he did to that last weeping angel in the cemetary. I mean, remember what he did to the hunters after him in the episode where he becomes human for a while. Yeah, that thing probably didn't end too well.

Looks like we have to wait for Christmas to see how the bring in the dead Dalek Girl
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »

Really loved Angels in Manhattan. When I watched it again with my wife she cried like hell... My big complaint about the episode was....
Spoiler for episode but revealed in the opening intro before the theme music:
Spoiler for Hiden:
the statue of liberty as an angel. I understand that they probably couldn't resist the urge to do it, but it looked silly, and it's beyond ridiculous to think the statue could ever move more than a millimeter without SOMEONE looking at it.

The ending was certainly brutally sad and sweet. I do hope they resist the urge to:
Spoiler for Hiden:
bring them back at some point later. I suppose I could forgive them if they bring them back next year for whatever they have planned for the 50th anniversary. But, for once I would like one of the "Doctor can never see him/her/them again" to actually happen and not have the emotional devastation be undone a couple years later. (Hello Rose!)

Thumbs way up, and for me, all 3 Weeping Angels stories are pretty excellent. (Now let's wait a few years before bringing them back.)

-John

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: