http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:56:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Buffy The Vampire Slayer  (Read 335 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »

Okay, here's another show that I never watched during its original run. I'm in the middle of the second episode, and it's pretty cheese-tastic and pretty dated. At what point does the show pick up steam or get better? Or does it even do so?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »

First season isn't all that good, if I remember correctly.  You're definitely not alone in thinking it was cheesy and not all that interesting.  Towards the last few episodes though, you'll start to see Whedon flex his muscles in the writing area in which he can't be beat:  the story arc.  Season 2 starts to pick up quite a bit and by season 3, you'll be hooked.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:38:17 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 02:42:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 12, 2012, 02:36:39 PM

First season isn't all that good, if I remember correctly.  You're definitely not alone in thinking it was cheesy and not all that interesting.  Towards the last few episodes though, you'll start to see Whedon flex his muscles in the writing area in which he can't be beat:  the story arc.  Season 2 starts to pick up quite a bit and by season 3, you'll be hooked.

Alright, I'll continue giving it a chance. Thanks, hep!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »

I recently went through all 7 seasons of Buffy, then then all 5 of Angel.  There's a good thread about it here.

As Hep said, the first season is kinda rough (especially at the beginning), but stick with it.  The show really finds it's stride in season 2 and gets very, very good.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »

after a recent rewatch of my own my current feelings on the seasons: 1 is merely OK, 2 and 3 are great, 4 is decent, 5 is good and 6 & 7 are very hit or miss.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »

Joss Whedon was finding his stride in season 1, but season 2-4 is the goodness.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:05:39 PM »

I need to rewatch Season 6 some time.  I hated it at the beginning, but it ended up awesome.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »

Season one may not have been the greatest but there are several classic moments like Xander in a Speedo that can't be beat!!
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »

I just started re-watching this myself. I skipped the entire first season this time through (once was enough) as mentioned it was pretty bad. Here's where to start: Season 2 Episode 3. This is where the chemistry for the characters begins to get better and the episode puts to bed the boring story arch carryover from Season 1. More importantly it introduces Spike and Drusilla which will play a larger part in the show down the road.

Re-watching the show today it does seem quite cheesy at times. What was new an inventive back then is now just old hat or has been done better in today's show. Also its somewhat difficult to watch some of the silly 90's stereotypical characters they put in there and the pop culture references that just don't sizzle anymore.

But try Season 2 out. There's going to be a few duds in there, like any 22 episode season run, but its worth sticking out. The show gets really good in the later seasons and there's some fantastically creative episodes in the future like the nearly silent episode "Hush" and the catchy and very well done musical episode "Once More With Feeling."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 12, 2012, 06:30:50 PM

there are several classic moments like Xander in a Speedo that can't be beat!!

I'll bet you tried. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: