http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 06:05:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Great shows that lasted only one season  (Read 2657 times)
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 18, 2012, 03:45:54 PM

When I was a kid I really lamented the loss of Pirates of Dark Water.  I loved that it actually had A) a serial plot, and B) the moxy to actually kill off characters. 

Yeah but it A) lasted 3 seasons, and B) was a cartoon.    It doesnt really fit the focus of the post.    It will contend it was good though.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 18, 2012, 04:13:07 PM

When I was a kid I really lamented the loss of Pirates of Dark Water.  I loved that it actually had A) a serial plot, and B) the moxy to actually kill off characters. 

Yeah but it A) lasted 3 seasons, and B) was a cartoon.    It doesnt really fit the focus of the post.    It will contend it was good though.

It had just 21 episodes and stopped mid-story.  The first thing you're calling a season was just the pilot, which was retooled into what you're calling the second season.  The thing you're calling a third season was a handful of extra episodes.   It is indeed a cartoon, which counts as a "show".  The focus of the post was "those short lived series that should have survived," which it is. 

The show had sporadic small batches of episodes released, so I guess you can call those seasons, but my god man, nothing is going to happen if we break the nonexistent rules of a thread.  Let's talk about tv shows.  Hell, someone already brought up Police Squad in this thread and that had like 12 seasons.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »

Clerks the Animated Series also comes to mind-  only 6 episodes, and only 2 were actually broadcast on ABC.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 18, 2012, 04:56:14 PM

It had just 21 episodes and stopped mid-story.  The first thing you're calling a season was just the pilot, which was retooled into what you're calling the second season.  The thing you're calling a third season was a handful of extra episodes.   It is indeed a cartoon, which counts as a "show".  The focus of the post was "those short lived series that should have survived," which it is. 

The show had sporadic small batches of episodes released, so I guess you can call those seasons, but my god man, nothing is going to happen if we break the nonexistent rules of a thread.  Let's talk about tv shows.  Hell, someone already brought up Police Squad in this thread and that had like 12 seasons.

sorry, I was just poking a little fun at you.  Didnt mean to get your panties in a bunch!  ( yeah Im doing it again )

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2012, 05:00:15 PM

Clerks the Animated Series also comes to mind-  only 6 episodes, and only 2 were actually broadcast on ABC.

And out of order, at that.  Meaning the whole joke of the second episode clip show was completely lost.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2012, 08:28:36 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 18, 2012, 05:26:06 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on February 18, 2012, 04:56:14 PM

sorry, I was just poking a little fun at you.  Didnt mean to get your panties in a bunch!  ( yeah Im doing it again )

hah!  the jokes on you!  wonderpug goes COMMANDO!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »

did anybody see 'That 80's Show'?..obviously because of the success of 'That 70's Show' they made this,but i never saw it,and it only lasted one season,but had a few guest stars(Tiffany,Debbie Gibson)

the 80s was the first complete decade i lived,so i would of liked to of given this a try,it could of been fun

was it anygood to those who did see it? I am guessing it got cancelled

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 16, 2012, 03:55:50 PM

How could i forget Space: Above and Beyond   Another show Fox canceled to early

Awsome series. This was great, dark and gritty scifi before BSG ever came along. Strange how FOX has given shows like Space, Firefly, and Sarah Chronicles shots but always dropped them too soon IMO.

Sent from Tapatalk
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »

The counterpoint I've heard about FOX is that they're the only ones that even consider giving these niche series a green light.  It's just that they're only willing to let them live long enough to see if they've struck gold with an instant megahit. 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »

The problem is that money talks and bullshit walks.  The Sarah Connor Chronicles, no matter how much you liked it was severely ratings challenged, it was surprising that Fox gave it two seasons.  The thing that truly amazes me though is how sci-fi and "genre" shows seem to fair so poorly on tv, especially considering that the biggest blockbuster movies of all time are almost all in the sci-fi/ fantasy genre.  Even the X-Files was doing terrible and came close to being whacked its first season.  Fox took a hit to renew it and the gamble paid off.  They have done a similar thing with Fringe, which has done decently buy doesnt garner the numbers to justify its cost.  Still theyve keep it alive longer than I expected and its beginning to look like they will continure to keep it alive for a final 15 episode season. 
 I have railed in the past about Fox's quick trigger finger but Wonderpug has it right, Fox gives opportunity to far more "out there" type shows than any other network.  We seen a lot of great tv that would have never aired on the big three networks, thanks to Fox.   That being said I still despise them for Firefly, oh and Briso County Jr. and for Strange Luck and Space: Above and Beyond and Harsh Realm, hell even for VR5!   DAMN YOU FOX!!!!!  DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 26, 2012, 02:36:37 PM

The thing that truly amazes me though is how sci-fi and "genre" shows seem to fair so poorly on tv, especially considering that the biggest blockbuster movies of all time are almost all in the sci-fi/ fantasy genre.

This.  I also find that odd.  Maybe it's because of the lower budget special effects?  People need Michael Bay it would seem if that's true...   icon_frown

And I also have to wholeheartedly agree with 'pug too.  As much as I want to hate them for cancelling these shows, at least I had a chance to experience them at all.    As the bard once said, "'Tis better to have loved and lost than to have not had that friggin' great ending to Space Above and Beyond...PEW PEW PEW!"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:19:02 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: