http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 12:25:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Battlestar Galactica  (Read 817 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »

After much delay, my wife and I finally watched the miniseries that kicked off the show over the course of the last 3 nights. While the story and plot were great, the acting (with a handful of exceptions) and visual effects were pretty bad. Bad to the point that my wife is very hesitant to start the series, and I'm on the fence.

Question for you guys - does the series fix any of these issues, or does it continue the same way as the miniseries?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »

WTF are you talking about?

You better be talking about the 1970's series because the rebooted BSG is the best television show in the history of the world.

Stick with it. Or don't.

YOU DON'T DESERVE THAT SHOW!    disgust disgust disgust disgust disgust disgust disgust
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »

I haven't been in the Pixar Dory thread yet today, so I'm not as riled up by ATB as I should be, but, yeah, he's right.

What the hell were you watching?

Honestly, the only complaint I can see about the launching mini-series is that it is really, really dark.  Oppressively so.  And that can make getting excited to see the rest of the series hard to gear up for.  But it's exceptionally well made.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »

I'm with the above two jokers.  BSG had some of the best damn acting on a sci fi show ever.  And the special effects were pretty damn impressive for the budget they had.  You must have been watching the original Battlestar Galactica.  That's the only explanation for that immense disconnect from reality I'm seeing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:52:02 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 05, 2013, 12:12:10 PM

LIES

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 05, 2013, 12:50:20 PM

I'm with the above two jokers.  BSG had some of the best damn acting on a sci fi show ever.  And the special effects were pretty damn impressive for the budget they had.  You must have been watching the original Battlestar Galactica.  That's the only explanation for that immense disconnect from reality I'm seeing.

Man, you guys are one butthurtable group. Thanks for being so levelheaded about the whole damn thing.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 05, 2013, 01:52:20 PM

Man, you guys are one butthurtable group. Thanks for being so levelheaded about the whole damn thing.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »

Calm down.  My intent wasn't to insult you. I was just disagreeing with your belief that it was badly acted and what not.  I then posted a link to all the awards the show's won to show that I wasn't alone in that disagreement.  I then questioned whether or not you actually were watching the original BSG...which is also available on Netflix I believe. 

My "disconnect with reality" line was meant to be a harmless jibe, not an attempt to hurt your feelings.  I'm sorry if you took it to heart.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »

I think Rick got overly butthurt by the butthurt responses. And yes Rick clearly wasn't watching the new series and if he was he must have been high or something.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »

I watched most of BSG in 2 weeks of marathon back to back viewing wtih my wife.  Minus losing jobs and not writing a new script, this was pretty much exactly our experience:  http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/portlandia-battlestar-galactica

"Sooooo good!"

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 05, 2013, 02:42:40 PM

I watched most of BSG in 2 weeks of marathon back to back viewing wtih my wife.  Minus losing jobs and not writing a new script, this was pretty much exactly our experience:  http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/portlandia-battlestar-galactica

"Sooooo good!"

Lol at 2:56.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »

Nope, not butthurt, insulted, or otherwise rustled.

And yes, we watched the new miniseries and regardless of the accolades, word-of-mouth, or cult following, the acting in my opinion, was not all that great safe for a few performances.

Back on point, does the series pick up much after the end of the miniseries? That was the original question, which has been ignored.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 05, 2013, 02:56:02 PM

Nope, not butthurt, insulted, or otherwise rustled.

And yes, we watched the new miniseries and regardless of the accolades, word-of-mouth, or cult following, the acting in my opinion, was not all that great safe for a few performances.

Back on point, does the series pick up much after the end of the miniseries? That was the original question, which has been ignored.

It's hard to respond to the question when everyone thinks it picked up from the beginning.  It does get less oppressively dark, at least.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 05, 2013, 03:05:04 PM

It's hard to respond to the question when everyone thinks it picked up from the beginning.  It does get less oppressively dark, at least.

This.  I'm guessing that if you thought the miniseries was awful, it's probably just not a show you're ever going to enjoy.  I would say move on.  I'm not going to attempt to convince you you're wrong (something I think I've done too much recently, methinks).  I'm just going to say I disagree with you a great deal.   icon_wink

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 05, 2013, 03:08:51 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 05, 2013, 03:05:04 PM

It's hard to respond to the question when everyone thinks it picked up from the beginning.  It does get less oppressively dark, at least.

This.  I'm guessing that if you thought the miniseries was awful, it's probably just not a show you're ever going to enjoy.  I would say move on.  I'm not going to attempt to convince you you're wrong (something I think I've done too much recently, methinks).  I'm just going to say I disagree with you a great deal.   icon_wink

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 03:27:46 PM »

I wasn't a fan of Starbuck's acting, but other than that I thought the acting talent was amazing.   This show is just not for you.  The series is not going to be a major change from the miniseries, so I wouldn't expect to enjoy it more. 
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »

If you didnít like the mini series then you probably wonít enjoy the series.  I will say I wasnít a fan of Starbuck, being made into a woman, but it grew on me as the series went along.   

I really like the show, but grew weary towards the end especially when it went all

Spoiler for Hiden:
meta-physical and quasi-religious
towards the end

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »

Yeah, the overwhelming majority of complaints about BSG seem focused on the last two seasons and the religious aspects, not the beginning.  Personally, I'm not as vehemently opposed to it as some.  I thought it had its good moments as well as its bad.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »

Did some of you guys even read the original post before going off on your comments? I said, "...the story and plot were great..."

I listed the acting and some of the visual effects as what I saw as shortcomings and asked if the series saw improvement with these two things.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 05, 2013, 04:35:02 PM

Did some of you guys even read the original post before going off on your comments? I said, "...the story and plot were great..."

I listed the acting and some of the visual effects as what I saw as shortcomings and asked if the series saw improvement with these two things.

The story actually went downhill towards the end while the acting and the effects stayed the same, so I'd stay away.  In my opinion the religious elements and
Spoiler for Hiden:
sleepers
were the equivalents of introducing a baby into a sitcom. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

just wait until the boxing episode.  best.episode.ever.  biggrin

now that all the BSG fans are twitching, I'd say stick with it for a bit.  sometimes shows with a rough start can grow on you.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 05, 2013, 04:46:16 PM

just wait until the boxing episode.  best.episode.ever.  biggrin

As I've said before, it's actually very strong episode.  Quite underrated (by you in particular).

Maybe you shouldn't be the one to teach Rick how to love.

∆nima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »

It's a great show, but I would stop after the fourth episode of the third season (Do not stop before those four episodes though, they may be the best of the entire series). Make up your own ending as if the show was cancelled (it's a good spot). The series then falls off a massive cliff. No one has ever taken this advice, but everyone who I've given it to tells me after that they wish they did Tongue.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »

I'll answer your question. Acting stays the same, special effects stay the same.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »

I, too, was put out by the idea of Starbuck being a woman, but Katee Sackhoff changed my mind immediately.  Jamie Bamber is the weakest on the show, IMO, but that doesn't become apparent until later, IIRC.  Grace Park and Tricia Helfer are okay, but the same holds true for them (and I'm on the fence about James Callis, but the character is so interesting that I think the guy from The Room could have done a good job with it).  However, with the rest of that cast, I don't see how anyone could find the acting so-so, let alone bad.  

And the special effects were very good for their time, and that time wasn't so long ago that I can imagine they've gotten to the level of bad.  

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »

Quote from: ∆nima on April 05, 2013, 05:14:40 PM

It's a great show, but I would stop after the fourth episode of the third season (Do not stop before those four episodes though, they may be the best of the entire series). Make up your own ending as if the show was cancelled (it's a good spot). The series then falls off a massive cliff. No one has ever taken this advice, but everyone who I've given it to tells me after that they wish they did Tongue.

Have you gone back and rewatched the show lately. Whole last season is much better than I remembered.

And the acting is great. Special effects are great. Everything is great. GREAT, FRAK YOU, GREAT!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 05, 2013, 04:35:02 PM

We've actually moved beyond your original post at this point and just discussing BSG in general.   icon_wink

I don't think it's as bad as you seem to believe.  There were some missteps, sure.  But I think just stopping in the third season is a bit of an overreaction.  It had some very strong episodes in the last two seasons...and I rather liked the conclusion.  Maybe not LOVED, but certainly enjoyed.

However, with the rest of that cast, I don't see how anyone could find the acting so-so, let alone bad. 

That Tahmoh Penikett hasn't become a huge action star is something I still don't understand.  They guy is built like a friggin' tank AND can act. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:01:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 05, 2013, 05:17:07 PM

I'll answer your question. Acting stays the same, special effects stay the same.

thank you, Teggy

20+ frakking replies before I got an answer!  icon_lol
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 05, 2013, 06:01:59 PM

Quote from: Teggy on April 05, 2013, 05:17:07 PM

thank you, Teggy

20+ frakking replies before I got an answer!  icon_lol

Folks answered you a while back with the exact same thing.   icon_confused

That they disagreed with your assessment was just an aside.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:18 PM »

StraightTalkinTeggy - OK, maybe not.

Related, did anyone watch Caprica all the way through? I watched the first couple of episodes on Netflix and thought, "this is pretty cool". And then the daughter got turned into a Cylon and I thought, "this is pretty dumb".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 07:49:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 05, 2013, 07:21:18 PM

Related, did anyone watch Caprica all the way through? I watched the first couple of episodes on Netflix and thought, "this is pretty cool". And then the daughter got turned into a Cylon and I thought, "this is pretty dumb".
no the special effects and acting were pretty bad...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »

OK, this is a real tangent and I don't know if it will translate or not, but it's a funny story so here goes.

I'm watching Eureka on DVD. There's a story arc that includes the actor who played Gaius Baltar, playing a completely unrelated character. There's an episode wherein all of the major characters hallucinate a person from their past with whom they have unresolved personal issues; the only way to dispel the illusion is to confront the old conflict. "Baltar" can't disclose the person that he's hallucinating to the others so when they ask him who he's seeing, he says "A leggy blonde in a slinky red dress."

Spoiler for Hiden:

I just about peed myself. Eureka has had a couple of other BSG references (like mentioning Cylons), but that one was over the top.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:58:32 PM by Ironrod » Logged

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »

Quote from: naednek on April 05, 2013, 07:49:43 PM

no the special effects and acting were pretty bad...

icon_lol

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 10:18:24 PM »

Yep, I did, and was getting excited for what they were going to do for Season 2 (which they hint at the end of the season/series finale) before the rug got pulled out from under it.

You can stream it all now in HD and 5.1 on Netflix.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 12:21:16 AM »

Caprica started off kind of weak, got weaker...then started to recover.  It wasn't as big a turnaround as the Sarah Connor Chronicles, but it seemed like it was going to head into some interesting territory.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: