http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:50:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Bates Motel  (Read 1128 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »

anyone planning on catching Bates Motel tonight?  it looks like it has potential, young Norman Bates growing up in a modern setting.

I'm just hoping they keep the late night repeats as the new episodes air at 10pm on Monday's, and I've already got two shows I DVR that conflict with it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »

I would watch Vera Farmiga read the phone book if it meant I could just look at her.  She's one of those actresses I just find oddly beautiful.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 18, 2013, 09:13:23 PM

I would watch Vera Farmiga read the phone book if it meant I could just look at her.  She's one of those actresses I just find oddly beautiful.

+1

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:50:15 PM »

I have it set to record.  I've heard pretty good things (Twin Peaks has been referenced a few times), but it's going to be tough getting over things like Norman listening to his iPhone with earbuds.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »

So did anyone else watch it?  I didn't think I'd like it but I found it oddly compelling and very watchable.  What's with the current trend of making crazy/killers accessible and even anti-heros?  I'm starting to weird myself out cheering for bad guys and future bad guys smile 
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »

I think I have seen ads for a new series called Hannibal....all about you know who. You suppose they make him an entertaining and likable guy?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »

Why not?  They did so in the movies quite a few times.  As a matter of fact, that was his strongest weapon.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on March 22, 2013, 09:57:17 PM

I think I have seen ads for a new series called Hannibal....all about you know who. You suppose they make him an entertaining and likable guy?
Yes, but with a slight penchant for fava beans, Chianti and FBI agent brain sautee...

Fercrissakes, there are so many serial killers and serial killer shows on TV now, I don't know why someone doesn't just create a Serial Killer Cable Channel...

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 23, 2013, 01:36:41 PM

Quote from: Scuzz on March 22, 2013, 09:57:17 PM

Yes, but with a slight penchant for fava beans, Chianti and FBI agent brain sautee...

Fercrissakes, there are so many serial killers and serial killer shows on TV now, I don't know why someone doesn't just create a Serial Killer Cable Channel...

While we're at it, let's create one for:

1) Hospital dramas
2) Police shows
3) Dramas set in law offices

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »

Watched the first episode the other night. Started pretty slow for me but by the end I kinda enjoyed it. The acting from the mother and son were what kept it going for me. The show is kinda odd as it waffles between being serious and quirky - like Twin Peaks quirky. There's a character with an oxygen tank that pops up out of nowhere in a very Twin Peaks style way. And then there's an odd scene with a sheriff, a toilet and a dead body that I wasn't sure if they were shooting for being a tense situation or comical.

It doesn't seem like it'll be the next must see show for me but I've seen plenty of other shows that started off not being stellar and then eventually got there (Vampire Diaries and Once Upon a Time being the latest examples for me).
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »

Ep 2 continues with the kind of odd mix of content, and again does well with the mother and son dynamic.  It's always on the edge of creepy/perverted/sexy on that front.  I really like the kid they got for Norman, he's just the right amount of dorky/awkward, and Vera is excellent as the mom.  What I'm less sure about is the Twin Peaks-ish town environment, it kind of detracts from the two stars.  Obviously they need more story to sustain a series but I'm not sure this is the right way.  If everyone else is corrupt/evil, it kind of lessens the impact of the main characters eventually turning crazy/killer.  Unless of course the whole show is based around the town being innately corrupt and turning them.  I never saw Psycho so I don't know if that would play consistently, not that it has to.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 10:49:52 PM »

I liked the first episode but was meh on the second one.  I guess they're setting up different story lines for later on in the season.

The one thing I don't like is the obvious hitting us over the head with the whole beyond mother-son relationship vibe between norma and norman. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »

I hope they add a dog to their teenage detective agency soon!  Giving Velma an oxygen tank was an odd spin on this reboot, but having Fred show up as the long lost brother was a nice twist.  Now if only that mean old boyfriend would get out of the way so that Daphne can join the group!

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »

Ep 3 was a good pick up after 2.  I like seeing threads of crrrrazzzzyyyy Norman leaking out.  The actor has such a sweet angelic face that it's a real jolt when he switches to crazy mode. 

I still don't know if I care for all the weird and wacky plotlines on top of the main crazy Bates stuff, but it's hard for me to complain about the hot brother and even hotter dirty cop guy.  Yum!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 02, 2013, 05:03:19 PM

I still don't know if I care for all the weird and wacky plotlines on top of the main crazy Bates stuff,

I'm starting to have some problems enjoying the show because of this.  It just seems oddly disjointed and random most of the time.  I went in hoping for a series about the origin of Norman Bates' psychopathy....what I'm getting is Scooby Doo meets Twin Peaks...but not in the good way that I suspect such a thing would be.

However, the previews for Hannibal have me hopeful.  Mads Mikkelsen can do no wrong.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »

Caught up with episode 2 and 3. Very hopeful for the show. Looks like there's plenty of meat there for a series with the towns secrets, Norman turning crazy, and the Norman and Norma relationship. Liked the 3rd episode quite a bit and do like the girl with the oxygen tank. She stood up to Norma's interrogation without blinking an eye. Also liked that the brother turned out not to be such a jerk after all.

What I don't get is the relationship between Norman and the blond girl. Don't get what she sees in him now that she's seen what he's like - just a nice quiet guy that faints. It doesn't seem like they would have much chemistry so not  sure where the relationship will go other than her using him.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 11:06:28 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on April 03, 2013, 06:17:53 PM

What I don't get is the relationship between Norman and the blond girl. Don't get what she sees in him now that she's seen what he's like - just a nice quiet guy that faints. It doesn't seem like they would have much chemistry so not  sure where the relationship will go other than her using him.

He's a sweet, wide-eyed, "innocent" cutie-pie - at least on the surface.  Very much unlike her jerky boyfriend. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 08:09:43 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on April 03, 2013, 06:17:53 PM

Also liked that the brother turned out not to be such a jerk after all.

yeah, Dylan is becoming my favorite character.  I'm wondering how long Deputy Douchebag (Shelby) is going to last.

they just announced there will be a season 2

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »

I just realized something that may give my opinion of the show a complete 360 turnaround:

Spoiler for Hiden:
What if everything that's going on is in Norman's head?  The sex slave, etc.?  If this entire show is a glimpse inside the mind of someone who's mad, I'll stop having my doubts about the story.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 09, 2013, 08:18:17 PM

I just realized something that may give my opinion of the show a complete 360 turnaround:

Spoiler for Hiden:
What if everything that's going on is in Norman's head?  The sex slave, etc.?  If this entire show is a glimpse inside the mind of someone who's mad, I'll stop having my doubts about the story.

there's that too.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was half expecting the whole conversation between him and Dylan about Bradley to be in his head, but Dylan talking to Norma afterwards dispelled that thought.  I'm guessing that him and Bradley doing the deed is in his head though.

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 01:20:23 AM »

Just caught up on the first three episodes and so far impressed.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 02:05:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 09, 2013, 08:47:07 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 09, 2013, 08:18:17 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

there's that too.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was half expecting the whole conversation between him and Dylan about Bradley to be in his head, but Dylan talking to Norma afterwards dispelled that thought.  I'm guessing that him and Bradley doing the deed is in his head though.

or even better:

Spoiler for Hiden:
what if it is really a break from reality and Norman actually killed the previous owner?

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 10:58:42 PM »

I'm not sure why you guys are spoilering things you are just guessing at, but I guess I'll follow suit.  I really like the possibilities you've introduced.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Taking it further, maybe Norman even imagined the whole "rape" and that was the cover story his mom told him so that's what he imagined.  I always thought that scene was filmed oddly, that would certainly explain it.  And maybe that means he killed his father as well, even though it seems to be implied she did.  That would be an interesting twist if she as actually "normal" and just covering up for his split personality psychosis.  So maybe it wasn't her smothering that made him psycho, he was always the psycho and she was just doing whatever it took to protect him.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »

Well it looks like after last night's episode, most of our conjecture has been overturned.  Maybe not completely but for the most part... 

As much as some of the side elements seem unnecessary, I have to say I am really falling for Freddie Highmore's performance as Norman.  His facial expressions are just wonderful and he's able to convey so much without dialog (actually he's probably better without dialog at times).  Best scene for me was when he's riding on the back of his brother's motorcycle, the way he just lights up, it's just a beautifully filmed moment.  Equally impressive is his walk home after getting laid, that exuberance and joy boiling underneath but suppressed from a lifetime of holding things in.

I'm really wondering what it is they are planning/thinking longer term.  Norma doesn't seem nearly as overbearing and controlling as you'd think she'd need to be to really drive Norman insane.  I mean the kid is going out at night, dating, Scooby-Doo exploring, getting laid - way more than I was ever allowed to do as a teenager lol. 
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »

Yeah, I agree. That guy is really a fantastic actor. Those two scenes you mentioned were the two that really stood out.

The show lost a bit of that Twins Peaks vibe now and seems to be coming in to its own without it being cooky. Enjoying the show quite a bit.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »

So the season ended and I'm looking forward to the next one if it gets picked up. I can't say it ended with a bang. More of a sputter. But I love the characters, the actors are pretty great overall, there's enough mystery to the town to make it interesting, and the writing is pretty good and they're willing to take risks. So hope it lives on.

I put my finger on why I like the Norma Bates characters so much. Vera Farmiga is channeling another Bates with her performance - Kathy Bates. Norma comes off as a cross between Annie Wilkes, for her Misery craziness, and Dolores Claiborne for her outspoken stubbornness.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 10:17:27 PM »

The show got picked up for another season a little while back, so more to look forward to!

I really love the Norma character/actress as well, she does such a great job being neurotic and bitchy and smothering and then suddenly sweet and lovable.  I don't know how they manage to do it, but there's almost no hint of sexual tension between Norma/Norman, yet you still have these weird creepy feelings when she crawls into bed with him or holds him too long. 

Ultimately I think it will be hard for me as I really like Norman, creepy weirdisms and all.  But clearly they are taking him down the road to crazy killer-ville, so it can't last forever...
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »

The school teacher reminded me of Rogue from XMen fame.... Except hot as hell.

Headed to my bunk for about 3 minutes

Sent from me cool phone

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »

I finally caught up and finished season 2 last night.  I really like the development of the Norman character, and Freddie Highmore is getting really good at being creepy.  The scenes with his mom are even more intense than ever, both touching and vaguely incestuous - just enough to make you feel really uncomfortable.  It's going to be interesting to see where they go for Season 3, as they seem to be advancing Norman pretty far along now.  Like Hannibal, it's hard to tell if they are going to fold into the existing lore or just go a completely different direction.

I'm still not a big fan of the side plots and characters.  Max Thierot as the brother has totally grown on me, but his subplots just aren't that thrilling, except when they impact the Bates clan.  Ditto on Emma and the Sheriff, etc.  I guess they need these diversions to round out the show, but some of the stuff just seems unnecessary and uninteresting relative to the core of the show.

All in all a satisfying season - if you liked the first one, I think this one was actually even better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: