http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 07:18:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Arrow  (Read 7008 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »

from the CW comes it's next superhero show, Arrow, featuring the Green Arrow.  they've dropped the look from Smallville (different actor too, Stephen Amell  this time)

and are going with a grittier look:

instead of the old fashioned look:

kinda hoping this is a decent replacement for Smallville.  it's only in the pilot phase, but since it looks like the CW is about to can a lot of shows this season due to horrible ratings it probably has a good shot of being picked up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:12:35 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:42 AM »

Smallvile post season 3 or so was a horrid mess.  I predict this will come out of the gate horrid.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »

So this has been picked up and is now being promoed.  Looks ok from the trailer, certainly better than Green Lantern (movie, not animated which, by the way, is much better, has other color lanterns, and does not take place in the Young Justice universe)

Any interest so far?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »

I doubt I will watch it beyond the pilot...and even then just for giggles. 

I will say that any self respecting comic book fan should be watching Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series.  Those two (especially YJ) are excellent.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »

Let's see.

Change the name of the city, the name of the girlfriend (sorta), invent a (living) mother and sister, make a best friend out of what /may/ be his arch-nemesis (for now, that is)....oh, and drop the 'Green'. 

yeah, this looks like a /quality/ show.  retard
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »

yeah, not sure why they changed Star City to Starling City, or dropped Green from the title when he is still going to be Green Arrow in the series.  it seems they're hell bent on separating this GA from the Smallville one.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 12:26:48 AM »

Has this started in the U.S. yet?,it gets premiered at the end of this month here and i was wondering how its been doing or if its any good

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 01:07:05 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 07, 2012, 12:26:48 AM

Has this started in the U.S. yet?,it gets premiered at the end of this month here and i was wondering how its been doing or if its any good

it starts Wednesday.  got my DVR all set.

meet Deadshot:

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:32 AM »

Ugh, they couldn't be bothered to take a cast of the actor's eye area to base a prosthetic on instead of an awkwardly strapped on massive eye piece?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:46:43 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 08, 2012, 03:16:32 AM

Ugh, they couldn't be bothered to take a cast of the actor's eye area to base a prosthetic on instead of an awkwardly strapped on massive eye piece?

yeah, they should have gone with the Arkham City look for him:

not quite as bulky as what they chose:

at least they kinda kept the wrist guns:

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2012, 05:55:10 PM

yeah, not sure why they changed Star City to Starling City
It's possibly a local joke - The Starling is a pesky European import bird here in Greater Vancouver where the show is being produced, and is notorious for flocking in trees and doing serious crap sessions on parked cars. A few of our local studios are located in areas where they tend to flock. Maybe that's an Easter egg/subtle criticism by 1 of the writers on their perceived quality of it all.  icon_smile

I actually have some hopes for this show. It has some writers and directors that have done decent work and of course the pilot has the awesome David Nutter (X-Files, Supernatural) directing it. Hey it even has Perfect Dark Zero script writer Marc Guggenheim co-writing many episodes - OK, so maybe that isn't much of an accolade. slywink Count me as well as someone not impressed with the make up. I know quite a few big production effects movies started up here around the time Arrow did, so that might have created a shortage of quality crew. I'm hoping this turns out to be half decent though and I'll definitely watch the pilot.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »

watched the first episode:  it's definitely a bit darker than what I was expecting.  I'm going to give it a few more episodes but for now I foresee it being a one season show because I kinda like it.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »

I ended up watching it out of morbid curiosity and was surprised to see how dark it was.  They definitely don't shy away from killing folks.  The fighting was fairly well done, too.  The guy they got to play Oliver is ripped.  Thankfully they didn't stick with the boy band member they had playing him on Smallville. 

Still, it has the CW elements that scream "made for the Twilight crowd" (ironic since they made a joke disparaging the Twilight films in the pilot last night) that means I'll lose interest if they continue down this path. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 06:14:01 AM »

Deathstroke:

those who saw the first episode will find his mask familiar.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »

I THOUGHT that's what was hanging on that stick on the beach in that one shot towards the begining of the episode.  But it was so oddly out of place that I just brushed it off.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 13, 2012, 01:34:38 PM

I THOUGHT that's what was hanging on that stick on the beach in that one shot towards the begining of the episode.  But it was so oddly out of place that I just brushed it off.

it was a quick flash; I had to rewind the DVR and pause it to be sure that was what it was.  I am glad they seem to be trying to do more of the costumes for the villains.  IIRC in Smallville Deadshot was dressed like a cowboy instead of his usual outfit.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »

I accidentally stumbled onto the set of this today when I was out walking during a break. They were doing a location shoot in the Burnaby-Edmonds area in a woodlot just off an urban trail I often hike. I got held up awaiting a cut, so I had a bit of time to talk with some security staff. The set was supposed to mimmic a deserted island, which is pretty ironic considering the actual location.  slywink Apparently David Nutter was still hanging around (security guy didn‘t know why, but I‘m guessing production) and apparently I just missed seeing him walk down that trail by a few minutes. frown

Security was lax enough that I could of easilly strolled in and crashed the set after the cut, but didn‘t because I was afraid maybe a buddy I‘m not aware of might be on the series. They had a decent sized crew considering the type of shoot, but I didn‘t see enough of them to assess how green they are. Lots of celeb, gear and catering trailers though and they had enough smoke-making machines blowing to seriously put me in the mood for Halloween for a few years to come!  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:44:58 PM by kronovan » Logged
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »

after 2 episodes, it definitely seems that they are going for a much darker tone and they are not shying away from death and violence either.   Its been entertaining enough to stick with.    My only complaint is that they keep showing gratuitous shirtless scenes with the male lead but fail to give fair and equal treatment to the female lead.  I thought this was an equitable society!  We need gratuitous shirtless scenes of that hot female attorney as well!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 12:53:28 AM »

I'm really enjoying the show so far. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty good!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 02:14:27 AM »

Only seen the premiere so far. It was decent, especially for an opener. It seemed to understand what it is and what it wants to be, unlike The Cape or Birds of Prey.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 22, 2012, 02:14:27 AM

Only seen the premiere so far. It was decent, especially for an opener. It seemed to understand what it is and what it wants to be, unlike The Cape or Birds of Prey.

Hey The Cape wasnt all bad, they had The Carnival of Crime after all!  The Carnival of Crime was awesome.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:48 AM »

Six seasons and a movie!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 22, 2012, 04:17:00 AM

Quote from: Misguided on October 22, 2012, 02:14:27 AM

Hey The Cape wasnt all bad, they had The Carnival of Crime after all!  The Carnival of Crime was awesome.

Keith David is awesome, but was completely wasted. The tone of the show was horribly inconsistent. It would have the potential for campy fun moment, then try to be too serious the next. Like if you had a bizarre mashup between Adam West and Christian Bale as Batman. It honestly felt like the people writing it had never read a comic book.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »

having best debut for the CW since the Vampire Diaries in 2009 scores Arrow a full 22 episode order.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2012, 06:46:03 PM

having best debut for the CW since the Vampire Diaries in 2009 scores Arrow a full 22 episode order.

Sweet, I'm really liking this show. Now if we can just get them to show that chick in her underwear instead of the male lead all the time.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »

Cable went out last week during this and Supernatural.  I actually searched VOD for the episode.  icon_redface  I must be enjoying it more than I thought.  

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »

The Pilot was shown here last night

I quite enjoyed it,there were parts that were so-so

spoilers just incase

Spoiler for Hiden:
I am not familiar with Green Arrow,after being stranded for 5 years on an island and before that he was a bit of a dick,how is it he is so Computer Savvy?....like the transaction of funds and they couldn't figure out how he did it or where the $40million went etc

Oh,and maybe i will find out next episode but what happened to the security guard who was assigned to him after he kicked his ass at the door(at the party)to get away from?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 23, 2012, 11:02:26 AM

spoilers just incase

Spoiler for Hiden:
I am not familiar with Green Arrow,after being stranded for 5 years on an island and before that he was a bit of a dick,how is it he is so Computer Savvy?....like the transaction of funds and they couldn't figure out how he did it or where the $40million went etc

Oh,and maybe i will find out next episode but what happened to the security guard who was assigned to him after he kicked his ass at the door(at the party)to get away from?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Hopefully there's lots more to what happened on that island that what we've seen. There's no way he could have constructed that bow he uses from scratch on a deserted island, but the implecation is that he brought that back with him in the green box o' surprises. Same with the arrows themselves; those aren't sharpened sticks he's firing in the beginning.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on October 23, 2012, 06:48:54 PM

spoilers just incase

Spoiler for Hiden:
Hopefully there's lots more to what happened on that island that what we've seen. There's no way he could have constructed that bow he uses from scratch on a deserted island, but the implecation is that he brought that back with him in the green box o' surprises. Same with the arrows themselves; those aren't sharpened sticks he's firing in the beginning.

Well the The Arrow location shoot I stumbled upon last Wednesday and posted about here, was footage for that very fictional location. I know the production crews can be fast on these series at putting episodes together, but I doubt they‘re that fast. So I‘d expect they‘ll be re-visiting that setting in an upcoming episode(s).
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on October 23, 2012, 06:48:54 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 23, 2012, 11:02:26 AM

spoilers just incase

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

My guess is that he is trained by some Martial Arts/Bow and Arrow Guru the 5 years that he is on the island. How else would he come back as a martial arts/parkor/marksman/know it all expert.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:46 PM »

maybe while he was lost he found The Hatch.....

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 11:47:31 PM »

Well, he had to keep busy for 5 years... Think 5 years with nothing to do but train/exercise.....
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »

So is the show really good?  I almost crashed my car on the freeway yesterday when I saw a giant billboard of the lead guy with his shirt off.  Freaking HOT, and so distracting it should be illegal.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 01:24:53 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 23, 2012, 11:14:07 PM

My guess is that he is trained by some Martial Arts/Bow and Arrow Guru the 5 years that he is on the island. How else would he come back as a martial arts/parkor/marksman/know it all expert.

I'm betting it was Hurley.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 23, 2012, 11:54:12 PM

So is the show really good?  I almost crashed my car on the freeway yesterday when I saw a giant billboard of the lead guy with his shirt off.  Freaking HOT, and so distracting it should be illegal.

The show is really dark for a TV show based on a comic book. Green Arrow has no problems killing guys and being a general badass. It kind of has a Dark Knight feel to it in that it is dark and gritty.

Also,  you would love it because the male lead is super ripped and has his shirt off at least half of each episode.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »

I'm straight, and even I think that guy has some really good musculature. Makes me want to do more strength training to finally get those abs.

As for the show, they do some things to lessen the darkness. While the Green Arrow is still shooting guys with arrows, most shots aren't in what's considered killing areas. So no heart or head shots. Every time he does a major bout of shooting they usually mention that he "put a lot of men in the hospital". But overall, it's definitely got the Nolan style batman vibe where he may not be killing people, but he's certainly putting them months of traction (finally looked up what medical traction meant).

Unfortunately, you kinda get a bit too much of Nolan's Batman out of the show so far. Although reading up on him, his background has some similarities with Batman.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »

And my statement that he has his shirt off holds true again, as episode 3 opens up with his shirt off while he exercises. It's getting a bit twilighty in that aspect, which is weird because everything else about the show seems to be targeted toward a male audience.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 05:44:18 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 25, 2012, 03:51:06 PM

And my statement that he has his shirt off holds true again, as episode 3 opens up with his shirt off while he exercises.

So your letter writing campaign was a success!

also...through the eye?  nice.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »

Hey, not just the eye but THE eye.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: