http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:34:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Arrested Development Returning!  (Read 4054 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »

Hurry up, new season...I'm not that patient, damn it!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 16, 2013, 01:03:49 PM

SAY VORE THEM HEP! SAY VORE!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »

Okay, that last one made me laugh out loud.   icon_lol

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »

just wait until they get delayed.

Spoiler for Hepcat after the news:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 16, 2013, 02:23:58 PM

That is everything I wanted it to be.  I think Tobias would make any gif better.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on May 16, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

That is everything I wanted it to be.  I think Tobias would make any gif better.

how about Tobias dancing in his tight denim shorts?

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »

description says it all
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-17-capcom-inserts-tobias-funke-into-a-montage-of-its-classic-games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:54 PM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »

The Dead Rising 2 bit made me almost spit up my drink...

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »

So i am hearing that Arrested Development will arrive at 12:01am Pacific,3:01am Eastern...so i think that's 10hrs from now,I'll just catch them when i wake up tomorrow

Netflix are apparently getting ready for Arrested Development to take up 5% of the Bandwidth usage

Oh,and then i have this  icon_biggrin

Netflix wants Arrested Development Season 5

“We would love to do more, and we have a deal in place that says that there could be. The problem is logistics. They were all working full-time and doing this show in between, and they did it for the love of the show and for Mitch Hurwitz. If we can muster up that love again, we’d love to do it again.”

What a fifth season of Arrested Development would mean for the long rumored film project remains to be seen, though Sarandos also indicated that Netflix might be interested in an Arrested Development film, saying that they had “openly talked about” a “movie scenario”.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »

Half way through point:

ouch,eight episodes in and not that impressed

The episodes are all interwoven so after about 3 or 4 episodes you will see scenes that start to explain scenes from earlier episodes,it has lost a lot of the magic of the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development IMO

Sure i have laughed,but the stuff i DO like from this season so far is mainly from old jokes and the love of seeing the characters again

The main problem for me is that the writing is different and concentrates on one character at a time and therefore splits up the cast,some of the cast may not even appear for a few episodes

The episodes are longer(they vary from 28 minutes to 37 minutes)..not that that is a bad point,but compared to the 22 minute episodes of the first 3 seasons,then you realise just how different they are...the episodes from the first 3 seasons were really sharply written,while whole scenes in these episodes can just go on and on just trying to explain something

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2013, 12:13:35 AM »

I have to agree with you after sitting through 3 episodes.  I find myself smiling every now and then, but not laughing.  The first three seasons of AD was subtly brilliant.  The jokes were layered in and came fast.  Now they seem to be so enamored of their jokes that they stop everything to let us know they're being funny.  Episode one has the perfect example of what I mean.  The joke about tipping African Americans.  Was there any reason to extend that joke by then having two African American gentlemen appear suddenly?  That's just lazy writing. 

Coming off a marathon of season 1 through 3, it's like I slammed into a brick wall right from the start.  I hope it gets better, but right now I'm pretty disappointed.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »

well,i did start to enjoy the season a lot more in the second half,when watching episode 9 i was laughing and i then thought of the above post i made and immediately thought "I've Made a Huge Mistake" icon_wink

It starts coming together in the second half of the season,some people are saying that the first half is funnier on second viewing so i guess there is that

but,i will still say that i am disappointed overall,it seems more the earlier episodes are just setups for the jokes in the second half of the season,you can't just watch one episode and laugh out loud like you could with the earlier seasons,you have to watch a later episode to 'get' the joke

however..,..I still want season 5 Tongue

Oh,and make sure you watch after the credits on the last (15th)episode

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »

I only watched the first episode, but they were clearing laying laugh mines all over the place.  There are quite a number of little comments that get made which really have no meaning or impact (the one that pops to mind is when M and GM are walking up the dorm steps and they pass a guy and Michael says, "Look at this guy, he thinks he's a rock star"), and shots of the backs of peoples heads (there was someone bending over at the airport who looked like Lindsay and I think George Sr was walking into the drug store where GOB bought his Forget-Me-Nows) or folks walking into scenes that were already underway (GM and Maebe were definitely in the middle of a scene as was GOB and whomever).  I expect layers of payoffs as this thing progresses which will make going back and rewatching the episodes even better.

TBH, this is a brilliant idea for the medium they're using.  This season has been written specifically for Netflix watchers.  Hopefully they can pull it off.

And Kristen Wiig does a dead on impression of Lucille Bluth.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »

I'm two episodes in (gonna watch 'em one day at a time to make the enjoyment last) and I'm loving the new season. The focus on each individual character is working wonders for me. But I also like how there's an overarching storyline. So far, hilarious!
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2013, 03:48:14 AM »

We're seven in now, and it's just getting better and better. I was worried after the first two, but it's really building to something here. I'm very, very impressed.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »

Three episodes in.  The George Sr episode was the weakest of the bunch so far by quite a bit, IMO.  It's a shame that's the second episode.

Portia is just looking very odd.  She's yellow and waxy and still too skinny.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »

First episode was great.

Second episode was a convoluted mess.

So far glad to have it back.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »

The fourth episode was somewhat a return to form for me.  Hopefully they'll continue to improve.  I think the earlier episodes suffer by having the focus being squarely on setting up future jokes that won't really pay off until later in the season.

One other thing I feel is off with this new season is the way they now seem to embrace obvious crude humor.  Now, I'm not saying they were family oriented comedy before.  Far from it.  But here's an example using the final episode of season three vs. the new season:

Tobias, in talking with Michael about the party for the company ascending to "Risky" status in the stock market being held on ship Queen Mary, says he needs to talk to the Hot Cops as he thought the Queen Mary was a nightclub and not a ship.  He says they'll need to change their theme and that they should be Hot Sailors...or perhaps Hot Seam....and then Michael cuts him off with a wave of his hand and says he gets the picture.

In the new season, the first time we see Tobias at the courthouse after the arrests on the Queen Mary, he simply goes straight to saying something along the lines of "I was surrounded by Hot Seamen!".  

I much prefer the first use of this joke in the original season.  

The sex scene in Lindsay's episode also felt completely out of character with the show. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:11:29 PM by hepcat » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »

The sex scene was setting up the joke that followed.  There was also a blissfulness to it that was undermined by the scene where she wakes up at the end.

I don't remember what she said at the end of the episode, but it should have been: "I've made a huge mistake."

I agree that the Tobias joke is better cut off, but watching the original episodes recently, I was surprised by how often they went over the line.  At least the TV line.  I don't remember actually being offended.

I was happy to see that China Garden's stream of curse words were beeped out for that scene in the restaurant in Episode 2.  BTW, that character was the funniest thing about that episode.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:52:34 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »

I never said that I was offended.  Just that I found the way they skirted around raunchy humor in the original run much funnier.  It made me feel like an active participant in the show as my mind filled in the blanks.  This new season seems to have discarded that in favor of just going for the obvious.

And I know that the Lindsay sex scene was setting up the next scene, but see above for why I felt it was out of place and a tonal shift from the original series.  

But I will agree that the actress playing China Garden is just nailing it.  She is hilarious.  As is the great John Slattery.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 28, 2013, 01:58:01 PM

I never said that I was offended.  Just that I found the way they skirted around raunchy humor in the original run much funnier.  It made me feel like an active participant in the show as my mind filled in the blanks.  This new season seems to have discarded that in favor of just going for the obvious.

And I know that the Lindsay sex scene was setting up the next scene, but see above for why I felt it was out of place and a tonal shift from the original series.  

But I will agree that the actress playing China Garden is just nailing it.  She is hilarious.  As is the great John Slattery.

While there are obvious jokes, there are still a lot that aren't.   Do a something search of George Michael's assumed name and you might find this 
Spoiler for Hiden:
"George Maharis Arrested in Men's Room", Gay Scene, December 1974: "Famous Hollywood actor George Maharis was arrested November 21 and charged with committing a sex act with a hairdresser in the men's room of a gas station in Los Angeles... He was booked on a sex perversion charge along with Perfecto Telles, 33, the hairdresser, and released on $500 bail, according to police." An earlier guilty plea for a Hollywood lewd conduct arrest on 15 December 1967 with a male is also documented.

The Gob episodes are the highlight of the season IMO.   The Maebe one was also surprisingly good, as I would have expected her to have one of the weakest.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 28, 2013, 02:28:27 PM

The Gob episodes are the highlight of the season IMO.   The Maebe one was also surprisingly good, as I would have expected her to have one of the weakest.

yup,they were great episodes,so was Buster's

Spoiler for Hiden:
I love the Getaway song from Gob's,as well as the running gag 'The Sound of Silence'...just spot on use of it
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:38:42 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 28, 2013, 01:58:01 PM

I didn't say you were offended.  My point was just that in the old show they went for both types of jokes, and I think the same is holding true now.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »

Never that blatantly though on the raunchy factor.  They were more subtle about it.  Which in turn made it funnier (for me).  

AD always felt like it was the adult world being described to a young person by someone who didn't want to spare any of the sordid details, but also didn't want it to turn into a Hangover film entry.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:43:52 PM by hepcat » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 28, 2013, 04:16:56 PM

Never that blatantly though on the raunchy factor.  They were more subtle about it.  Which in turn made it funnier (for me). 

AD always felt like it was the adult world being described to a young person by someone who didn't want to spare any of the sordid details, but also didn't want it to turn into a Hangover film entry.

I don't know, this stuff comes pretty close (some might even be more suggestive than the seamen line), and this is just some of Tobias's Stuff.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2013, 09:45:46 PM »

liked the first episode, but some things seemed really out of place, like Michael deciding to shower with George Michael....

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »

Definitely getting better once we get past the awkward first few episodes.  I guess they just needed to find their footing. 

The Tobias episode is my favorite so far.  The nerd in me almost applauded when I heard Joel Hodgson's voice (as well as Crow's) during an MST3K cameo. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2013, 02:04:35 AM »

Best line in the series so far?

"I thought you were hair."

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »

3rd episode was very strong.  So it's 2 out of 3 so far.

I think i saw it mentioned here but; what the HECK happened to Portia de Rossi?

It has only been 3 years since she was on Better of Ted and looked like her normal uniquely and unusually beautiful self and now. AND NOW!?

WTF happened to her face?  She doesn't even look like the same person!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »

I'm still not convinced her appearance isn't part of a gag for the show.  Too many people mention plastic surgery to her in the episodes of the new series.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »

I thought the same thing,funnily enough she looks more like how she did when she gets her hair cut,which is funny because she had long hair as we knew her back in the first 3 seasons

I am quite convinced that Michael Cera is slowly turning into a bird,his nose will form into a beak for the next season Tongue

><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Netflix stocks fall 6% as Arrested Development gets mixed reviews

Netflix's stock fell by more than 6% as investors reacted to critics' mixed reviews over the weekend of the first new Arrested Development episodes since Fox canceled the TV series seven years ago.

The shares shed $14.55 on Tuesday to close at $214.19, marking the biggest one-day drop in the stock in nearly six months.

The US-based company didn't make any of the new Arrested Development episodes available for advance viewing. Once they saw the resurrected Arrested Development, some influential critics panned it as a disappointment. The New York Times was particularly harsh, asserting that Netflix had "killed" the series.

and then there is this...
Internet streaming company spent $200m on the high-profile original series but it's too early to tell if gamble will pay off
saywhat

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »

Wow.

I hope their sub numbers and whatever metric they are using to gauge success shows otherwise...

So far -3 eps- it's solid. Not super but solid.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2013, 02:38:09 PM »

As I noted earlier, in my opinion it starts off disappointing...but I'm finding the episodes after the third one to be fairly fun.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 30, 2013, 11:52:35 AM

3rd episode was very strong.  So it's 2 out of 3 so far.

I think i saw it mentioned here but; what the HECK happened to Portia de Rossi?

It has only been 3 years since she was on Better of Ted and looked like her normal uniquely and unusually beautiful self and now. AND NOW!?

WTF happened to her face?  She doesn't even look like the same person!

I almost didn't recognize Maeby myself.

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »

Finished the episode B Team.  Was glad to see Carl Weathers back. This episode really made me laugh.

Also finished the first Tobias episode. Solid but not stupendous.  Cross is SO talented in that role and I feel like they squandered him in this one.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Getting Meta about the movie is pretty funny. Ron Howard is hilariously self-deprecating. biggrin

It's interesting to see how focusing on one character really impacts the dynamics of what made the original run so amazing.

I'm going to keep a log here so I keep track of how I liked the eps:

Ep 1: Flight of the Phoenix - 4/4
Ep 2: Borderline Personalities - 1/4
Ep 3: Indian Takers - 3.5/4
Ep 4: The B Team - 4/4
Ep 5: A New Start - 2.5/4
Ep 6: Double Crossers - 1/4
Ep 7: Colony Collapse - 2/4
Ep 8: Red Hairing - 3/4
Ep 9: Smashed - 2.5/4
Ep 10: Queen B - 2.75/4
Ep 11: A New Attitude - 3/4

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:33:39 PM by ATB » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 31, 2013, 12:41:05 PM

Finished the episode B Team.  Was glad to see Carl Weathers back. This episode really made me laugh.

Also finished the first Tobias episode. Solid but not stupendous.  Cross is SO talented in that role and I feel like they squandered him in this one.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Getting Meta about the movie is pretty funny. Ron Howard is hilariously self-deprecating. biggrin

It's interesting to see how focusing on one character really impacts the dynamics of what made the original run so amazing.

I'm going to keep a log here so I keep track of how I liked the eps:

Ep 1: Flight of the Phoenix - 4/4
Ep 2: Borderline Personalities - 1/4
Ep 3: Indian Takers - 3.5/4
Ep 4: The B Team - 4/4
Ep 5: A New Start - 2.5/4

That about jibes with my rankings as well (I might give Tobias a "B").  I'm 2 more eps in than you.  The second George Sr is better than the first, but still not great.  The first GOB episode was pretty good, though.  I might go 2.5 on G Sr and 3.75 on GOB.

My wife officially bailed in the middle of the second George Sr episode.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »

I can't find it within myself to be generous enough to give the first three episodes anything higher than a 2 out of 5.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: