http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:24:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] AMC's Hell on Wheels  (Read 2929 times)
spigot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »

Didn't see a thread on this, but AMC's got a new western show called Hell on Wheels. When I first saw an ad for it, for some reason I totally thought it was a Red Dead Redemption TV show. Looks like it could be good.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:53:51 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »

Damn, I was assuming there would be some awesome cars in a show called Hell on Wheels.   icon_confused

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »

Looks like it has potential.  This one has some pretty large boots to fill coming after HBO's Deadwood.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »

While I love me some Deadwood (and curse the people who cancelled it), I would be happy if this one was less about dialog and more about cowboys shootin' each other.  Deadwood was oftentimes more a political drama couched in Shakespearean themes than it was a true western.  While I loved that about the show, I do like some good old fashioned western action from time to time. 

That's not to say I would be turned off if Hell on Wheels does turn out to be like Deadwood in its approach to westerns.  I'm just saying having a good old fashioned western each week would be nice too.

...although now that I think about it, I guess Justified kind of gives me that. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »

Did anyone watch the premier following The Walking Dead on Sunday?  While I'm not a big western fan, I was at least intrigued by the trailers leading up to the premier and it was easy just to leave AMC on following Walking Dead.  Despite knowing little about the lead character just yet, they did a good job of establishing the universe, showing the various elements and conflicts present in the show's setting, and AMC didn't shy away from racially charged language as it was a prominent aspect of the time period.  Although even though I understand the relevance of the "n-word" during the period, I wasn't any less shocked when it was first uttered due to the societal knee-jerk reaction that almost always follows.  Kudos to AMC for not giving the word continued power.  

Even though the episode was primarily to establish the backstory, setting, and environment, I enjoyed it so far and plan to tune in to subsequent episodes.  While American Horror Story failed to grab me, Hell on Wheels succeeded in keeping my interest.  I also really like the actor playing the lead role.  I want to learn more about him and see how he handles his revenge.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »

I knew pretty much nothing going into the pilot episode and so far I really like it. The background of the transcontinental railroad barons is a sub genre of westerns that doesn't get much exposure on film and TV so it's certainly interesting from that angle. The thing I really like though is that the attention to detail of the time period is really well done, from costumes to hardware and of course the background characters. Nothing about all that seems sanitized for TV. If anything seems cliched, it's the main character, of all things. He's a quiet, stoic Clint Eastwood type but he portrays the role well so it doesn't bother me. It is interesting that they are not shying away from the racism inherent in that time period. Kind of refreshing really and makes the show seem all the more realistic.

I love westerns myself, and Hell on Wheels is something I will definitely keep watching.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 04:09:12 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2011, 03:09:42 PM

While I love me some Deadwood (and curse the people who cancelled it), I would be happy if this one was less about dialog and more about cowboys shootin' each other.  Deadwood was oftentimes more a political drama couched in Shakespearean themes than it was a true western.  While I loved that about the show, I do like some good old fashioned western action from time to time. 

That's a fair enough complaint/comment about Deadwood.  No argument from me.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »

Got it sitting on my DVR and will watch tonight.  Looking forward to it.  Although this clip I found from the show makes it seem a little different than I originally thought.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »

totally forgot about this,  will have to see when they are repeating it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:23 PM »

Such an intriguing time period with the dispersement of Civil War soldiers into regular life, the tension between guys that fought on opposite sides and racism and Indians and the new frontier.  I thought they did a great job with the elements and appreciated that they didn't spend time narrating the backdrop, building into the characters instead. 

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »

While I enjoyed it, the villain role seems a little two dimensional at this point.  Right now he's Snidely Whiplash.  I fully expected him to be tying the map maker's wife to a railroad track in one of the "Next, On Hell on Wheels!" scenes after the show was over. 

But if anyone can turn it around, it's Colm.  He's definitely an actor's actor. 

Other than that, I'm in love with the aforementioned map maker's wife.  hubba hubba. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

I enjoyed the 2nd episode last night even more than the first.  While I understand the need to introduce some of the characters, the 2nd episode introduced a few more, it also went into more detail with a few characters introduced prior, but it also took a few turns I wasn't anticipating.  I love the setting and how the railroad itself as as much a character in the show as the personalities brought to life by the actors.  Mr. "Swede" is a creepy fucker and will probably be quite the sickening antagonist, Colm is fantastic as the obsessed and driven businessman (he's great when he arrives on-scene at the Indian slaughter), and Common's ex-slave character is an interesting compliment to Bohannon.

Despite not being a wild west aficionado, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far and am happy to have something to get me through the Walking Dead mid-season break.  If it weren't on immediately after Walking Dead I may be less inclined to make time to watch Hell on Wheels, but in its current time slot it works out well and keeps me from falling off the wagon.

American Horror Story, on the other hand, tried to be too cutting edge in the beginning and completely undermined any interest I may have had in the show.  But Hell on Wheels has managed to grab me and so far keeps getting incrementally better.  Unfortunately, based on the limited participation and traffic in this thread, I'm wondering if anyone else is watching or if Hell on Wheels may suffer a premature cancellation. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 08:59:42 PM »

I'm still watchin' it.  But I AM a wild west aficionado.

My prediction for breakout character will be the converted Indian.  He's straddling both the old world and the new and I think it's going to make for some fascinating views on life during that time.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 04:53:06 AM »

The Sergio Leone inspired musical interlude as the boys rode out on the Indian hunt brought a smile to my face in tonight's episode.  This show is the perfect companion piece to Justified and is holding me over until the given's clan returns.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 02, 2012, 04:53:06 AM

The Sergio Leone inspired musical interlude as the boys rode out on the Indian hunt brought a smile to my face in tonight's episode.  This show is the perfect companion piece to Justified and is holding me over until the given's clan returns.

My wife and I are loving this show. It is all kinds of awesome.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »

Bohannon is all kinds of awesome in this.  Even if he does get his butt kicked on occasion.
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »

So far so good and I am a fan now of Hell on Wheels. I also second the use of the transcontinental railroad as the backdrop of the series. Good TV. thumbsup

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 04:44:19 PM »

Quote from: theohall on January 02, 2012, 05:24:43 PM

Bohannon is all kinds of awesome in this.  Even if he does get his butt kicked on occasion.

I think that's part of the awesome. He's not an untouchable hero. He's hellbent on getting his revenge regardless of who or what gets in his way.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 05:08:39 AM »

looks like this is hitting DVD/blu ray on May 22nd, and since it has been renewed for a season 2 I guess I'll have to make it a point to catch up on it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 11:24:50 PM »

started watching this on Netflix.  not bad after two episodes, can't wait to see how they flesh out some of the characters.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2012, 11:24:50 PM

started watching this on Netflix.  not bad after two episodes, can't wait to see how they flesh out some of the characters.

Keep watching it. The characters on this show are amazing.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 31, 2012, 11:31:10 PM

Yes they are, I love "The Swede".

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 01, 2012, 02:49:22 PM

Quote from: rickfc on July 31, 2012, 11:31:10 PM

Yes they are, I love "The Swede".

Oh, yeah. I really cannot think of a character on this show that is weak and not fleshed out well.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »

I'm ready for the new season.  Bring it!

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 01, 2012, 03:24:34 PM

thumbsup

11 days and counting!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 05:19:49 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 01, 2012, 05:24:11 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 01, 2012, 03:24:34 PM

thumbsup

11 days and counting!

holy hell, it's that soon?  I figured September or so.  at least I have plenty of time to catch up.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »

finished season one, pretty decent series.  is season 2 going to be just 10 episodes, or are they planning on doing more?

kinda annoyed that it's on the same time as True Blood and Falling Skies, but I can catch True Blood on HBO Go.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 09, 2012, 12:34:26 AM

finished season one, pretty decent series.  is season 2 going to be just 10 episodes, or are they planning on doing more?

kinda annoyed that it's on the same time as True Blood and Falling Skies, but I can catch True Blood on HBO Go.

Not sure how many episodes it'll be.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 04:40:01 PM »

I just started playing Red Dead Redemption for the first  time and it seems to have rekindled my interest in Hell on Wheels.  I'm thinking about trying to get through the first season over the next few days in anticipation of Sunday's Season 2 premier. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 09, 2012, 04:40:01 PM

I just started playing Red Dead Redemption for the first  time and it seems to have rekindled my interest in Hell on Wheels.  I'm thinking about trying to get through the first season over the next few days in anticipation of Sunday's Season 2 premier. 

DO EEEEEEEET. Awesome show.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »

If anyone missed this the first time around and wants to catch season 1, AMC is doing a season 1 marathon on Sunday starting at 11 am est.  Once the marathon finishes, they will show the season 2 premiere episode.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 05:58:57 PM »

I love the season 2 teaser trailer they've been playing in which a friend warns Bohannon not to go apeshit on some annoying bar patrons...and of course, Bohannon goes apeshit on the annoying bar patrons.   icon_biggrin

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 09, 2012, 05:58:57 PM

I love the season 2 teaser trailer they've been playing in which a friend warns Bohannon not to go apeshit on some annoying bar patrons...and of course, Bohannon goes apeshit on the annoying bar patrons.   icon_biggrin

Link?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »

I saw it while watching Breaking Bad Sunday night, but I can't seem to find it on the 'net.  It's just Bohannon kicking the crap out of some guys in a bar, but it's brutal.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 09, 2012, 08:54:28 PM

I saw it while watching Breaking Bad Sunday night, but I can't seem to find it on the 'net.  It's just Bohannon kicking the crap out of some guys in a bar, but it's brutal.

thumbsup Cannot wait for the season to start.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 08:07:19 PM »

Interesting twist with Bohannon jumping to the other side of the law.  Didn't see that one coming.

Also, why am I seeing so much of THIS guy lately?

Seems Ryan Robbins is the new Garret Dillahunt.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:10:54 PM by hepcat » Logged

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 01:44:44 AM »

the last 20 minutes of the premiere really dragged.  It was like the writer's did not know what to do, so they made a ridiculously long montage and put in the Bohannon thing towards the end.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 07:07:04 AM »

just caught up on a good portion of the season, all except the most recent episode.  damn if they didn't go out of their way to make most of the characters unlikeable so far, but still enjoying it.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »

Damn you Dishnetwork, Damn you!

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »

<pulls everyone but Scraper aside>

Hey, let's mess with Scraper and tell him that Hell on Wheels killed off all the major characters and introduced a crime fighting dog and his young nephew who solve old west ghost stories each week with the help of a plucky group of kids who drive around in a multicolored covered wagon.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: