http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 08:29:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Alcatraz  (Read 1799 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2010, 01:04:19 AM »

with Hurley!  and developed by J.J. Abrams. 

The project, described to be "about secrets and the most infamous prison of all time," centers on a group of missing Alcatraz prisoners and guards who reappear in the present day. It chronicles the efforts of a team of FBI agents to track them down and unravel the mystery behind their disappearance thirty years prior.

FOX agreed to a pilot, so maybe we'll see Hurley back next fall! thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:04 PM »

first look trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J_jAlFqvASU

it looks interesting, but I have the feeling it might devolve into escapee of the week episodes pretty quickly.  I'm also wondering if Jorge Garcia can do something other than Hurley.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »

That looks really good.  I just wish we didn't have to wait until midseason to see it frown

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »

My concern with a show based off one big mystery like this is that unless the writers are VERY good at introducing numerous interesting facets of the mystery at a steady pace, the show will just become a frustrating exercise in filler.   For me, that's why Lost ultimately failed when it came to the storytelling aspect.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »

It's giving me the Fringe feeling...  I don't think that's good and I like Fringe

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »

I don't know what to expect from Fox anymore in terms of patience. See "Chicago Code" and "Human Target" this year; and this is the network that canned Firefly afterall. But it remains steadfastly faithful to Fringe, and it was certainly patient with X-Files during some lean years. So if this weird show is akin to Fringe or X-Files or what have you, it might be the kind of show the Fox suits will have more patience with. There's my glass half full view.  icon_smile icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 20, 2011, 06:38:32 PM

I don't know what to expect from Fox anymore in terms of patience. See "Chicago Code" and "Human Target" this year; and this is the network that canned Firefly afterall. But it remains steadfastly faithful to Fringe, and it was certainly patient with X-Files during some lean years. So if this weird show is akin to Fringe or X-Files or what have you, it might be the kind of show the Fox suits will have more patience with. There's my glass half full view.  icon_smile icon_smile

I give it half a season.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:23:33 AM »

Six seasons and a movie!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »

new promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3Qbeew2XhmU

this finally starts in January.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »

just a heads up that this starts tonight.  got my DVR set to give it a shot.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 05:36:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 16, 2012, 12:00:26 PM

just a heads up that this starts tonight.  got my DVR set to give it a shot.

Me, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »

It's getting some good reviews.  I was surprised to find out that Sam Neill is 64 years old though.   icon_eek

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 16, 2012, 07:05:57 PM

It's getting some good reviews.  I was surprised to find out that Sam Neill is 64 years old though.   icon_eek

Ugh.  I tried to like it, really, I did.  Sometime I wonder what reviewers are seeing that I'm just not.  The dialogue was almost cartoonish, the plot far from compelling, and the characters fairly boring.  There were a few moments that almost drew me in, but ultimately it just left me apathetic.  Too bad, as I had gone in really wanting to like it.  My wife is far less judgmental of new series, and even she was pretty disappointed.  She's planning to give it at least one more try, but so far her expectations have dropped considerably. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »

agreed with you there Pete. I tried too - and I may try again - not too sure at this point.

While I like to be entertained and not spoon fed nor have to think too hard during my down times at night - I found it hard to be drawn in to the episode last night.
At this point I don't care how/where the inmates etc were over the past 40ish years. I beleive that for that matter alone the premiere failed - but then again perhaps Abrams wanted this? Heck here we are talking about it......

edited to say: I did not enjoy the same 'melodic' intros/exits ala Lost. Nor did I particularily like the sniper's use of numbers...... made me think too much about Lost.

Hey TV! Just bring me back my Walking Dead and Game of Thrones already!!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:56:47 PM by Roman » Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »

I watched the first episode and the start of the second I too found it rather meh. It's not a detective show and the sci-fi end is really weak. How did they get Sam Neil to do this? There are lots of questions with no answers on the horizon. But I don't care.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »

The only reason I sat through the entire two hours was because of Fringe.  That show started off weak but quickly gathered steam.  I'm holding out hope (perhaps without reason) that Alcatraz will have the same upswing eventually.  

But yeah, the characters (with the exception of Neill and, to a lesser extent, Hurley) were just boring and uninspired.  The main actress just annoys me and if it weren't for the fact that she's built like a brick sh#t house, I would probably have skipped watching any scene she was in.  The only glimmer of hope that I saw was in that final scene of the last episode.  

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »

Same dissapointment. This seems like another series where they're are going to try and drag out the the mystery of what went on rather than put it out there and go on from there. The setup of locating a new inmate killer each week isn't that enticing.

Will give it another episode or two all the same.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »

The lead actress is hot but they made sure to dress her frumpy in all the parts I saw. I guess they wanted to show off her "acting" talents first. She may be able to act, but they didn't give her anything.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 07:43:56 PM »

Watched the first half and thought it was OK.  Second half started to fall asleep.

I guess they are going for a Lost meets 4400 theme?  I kind of like some things I've seen in the show but overall it looks like a bust.  They definitely need a stronger lead male to help carry the show.  Hurley is not a lead, no matter how popular he may or may not have been. 
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 02:13:18 AM »

The concept is interesting, but I think the execution of the premier left a lot to be desired. l like Sam Neill and Jorge Garcia as actors and both have the potential to bring good things into the show, but I think the main girl could be the show's downfall if they're not careful. Her acting just doesn't work to sell the role she's trying to portray, and her character is a little too insightful for the show's own good. I get that she's supposed to be a crime-solving prodigy, but the leaps for solving the premier's two cases all came to her a little too easily for it to be believable. I don't expect everything in a J.J. Abrams show to be plausible, but there were a number of things in these two episodes that were just plain bad...things that seemed more like poor writing for the sake of a quick episode resolution than efforts to build an intriguing story or characters.

If they really wanted to impress with the premiere, they should have spent the entire two hours on a single story to better flesh out the characters and allow time to really get into the meat of a case. Instead, we were given two episodes that each turned out to be pretty shallow, with main characters that have failed to show any depth, and time wasted on flashbacks for criminals that revealed very little and seem largely irrelevant at this point. I know Abrams has a way of making seemingly minor details surprisingly relevant in future episodes, but I can barely think of a memorable detail about either convict now that the show has ended.

I'll keep watching because it's an Abrams show, and they do tend to get better with time, but they'll have to move beyond the convict-of-the-week quickly or I'm going to lose interest...and I doubt I'm the only who will feel this way...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:45 AM »

I guess Im not quite as jaded with TV as most of you seem to be.  I no longer expect a premiere to blow me away.  A good series takes time to develop, especially a show like this.  Im willing to give it some time to gel before I write it off.  I would like it though if they didnt play us like LOST did, and get so overwhelmed in their mythos that when they finally reveal things it ends up being unsatisfying.  Go ahead and set the background but dont wait forever to let us know whats going on.  Establish the parameters and work from there. Otherwise you end up with way too much to explain and a lot of it ends up being silly.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 04:42:16 AM »

Please get better, please get better.

The first episode was just so blah. I liked the hook, where did the prisoners go? Then the first prisoner walks out of a GQ magazine and starts shooting people left and right. He didn't even care that he was suddenly 50+ years in the future.

Please get better ...

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 04:42:45 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 18, 2012, 03:02:45 AM

I guess Im not quite as jaded with TV as most of you seem to be.  I no longer expect a premiere to blow me away.  A good series takes time to develop, especially a show like this.  Im willing to give it some time to gel before I write it off.  I would like it though if they didnt play us like LOST did, and get so overwhelmed in their mythos that when they finally reveal things it ends up being unsatisfying.  Go ahead and set the background but dont wait forever to let us know whats going on.  Establish the parameters and work from there. Otherwise you end up with way too much to explain and a lot of it ends up being silly.

Unless that show is The Cape.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »

I guess Im not quite as jaded with TV as most of you seem to be. 

I don't think that's fair.  Being disappointed in a show from a producer that has given us some great entertainment in the past but seems to be phoning it in for his latest endeavor isn't a sign that we have unrealistically high expectations that can't be met by anyone.  It just means we expected more from someone we thought could do better.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »

I guess Im not quite as jaded with TV as most of you seem to be.

Has "jaded" become the standard internet response to negative buzz differing from knee-jerk popular opinion?  Objectively weighing the show's faults, which seemed to overwhelm its potential, does not suggest jaded bias.  The show simply wasn't that good, and for a series premier, with J.J. Abrams attached to it, a fan base can be made or broken by the strength of a series' introduction.  Alcatraz simply fell short and bordered between flat and almost boring.  And with competition from other networks and series, Alcatraz right now is maintaining viewership through forced intrigue and Abrams' name rather than inherent quality.

But the jaded population of online discussion forums no longer appears to be in the minority:

The Next FlashForward, Not The Next Lost

Hollywood Reporter: 
The writing is flat and expository-laden. The drama Ė outside of the mystery of how it all happened Ė is saddled to predictable plots. The exterior shots (and some location shooting) in San Francisco look beautiful. But it might be easier just to buy a postcard and save yourself the time of investing in Alcatraz, another series that canít seem to do much with what itís given.

I've got limited free time, and certainly not enough to devote to a series that so far leaves little to motivate continued viewing.  It may very well get better, but not if it continues to adhere to the same formula.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »

I watched the second episode last night after watching the first one on Sunday live. The second one is no better, if anything it was worse. The show seems to be a poor detective show with a weird hook. I realize it may develop into more than that but they better get to it or no one will be watching it.

So far, I blame the writing. There is just nothing there.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »

Quote from: disarm on January 18, 2012, 02:13:18 AM

... but I think the main girl could be the show's downfall if they're not careful. Her acting just doesn't work to sell the role she's trying to portray, and her character is a little too insightful for the show's own good.

Yeah she wasn't a very good actress. While I was watching I was thinking they should gotten Katee Sackhoff for that role and just had per play a Starbuck version of that character. That probably would keep me watching a bit longer.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 18, 2012, 07:39:11 PM

Quote from: disarm on January 18, 2012, 02:13:18 AM

... but I think the main girl could be the show's downfall if they're not careful. Her acting just doesn't work to sell the role she's trying to portray, and her character is a little too insightful for the show's own good.

Yeah she wasn't a very good actress. While I was watching I was thinking they should gotten Katee Sackhoff for that role and just had per play a Starbuck version of that character. That probably would keep me watching a bit longer.

Great idea!  Make her bionic too and I'm all in!!

I watched the second ep last night too and remain skeptical, but still willing to give it a little more room.  Convict of the week is really not going to thrill me, though I have to admit so far the 2 convicts were the most interesting part of the show for me.  Given the Lost-esque flashback treatment for them, I guess that's not too surprising.  The problem is they are (so far) "bad guys", so it's kind of conflicting to have them be more interesting than the leads.  And let's just be honest, Hurley is.... uhh well he's freaking Hurley.  Adding a goatee and telling me he has a PhD does not convince me he's some sort of super sleuth.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 04:18:16 AM »

ok the definition of jaded :   Made dull, apathetic or cynical by experience.

It wasnt meant as an insult and people must be fairly thinned skinned to take it as such.  All I was saying is people seem more cynical and apathetic about Alcatraz than I do.   I agree with all of the complaints regarding the show.  The writing wasnt fantastic, the actress clearly needs time to grow into her role ( though she is very easy on the eyes ),  She makes intuitive logic leaps far too easily.   I like Dr Hurley but he is exactly that, Hurley with a PHD.    All I was saying is that Im willing to give the show time to develop and find itself before I completely write it off an thus accept its current flaws as growing pains.  My statements were by no means meant to be disparaging towards anyone, with the possible exception of myself and my willingness at look past mediocrity in hopes that something good may grow from it. My apologies to anyone who took umbrage to my use of the word "jaded" but seriously, if you, did fucking grow a pair, will ya!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »

I'm not sure about the whole "inmate of the week" approach, but last night's ep was pretty disturbing and watchable.  Hurley's best performance so far. 

This core cast is just missing something.  Sam Neill is annoying as all hell (which I'm sure is intentional), the girl is cool but not a strong enough lead on her own, and we've already covered Hurley.  It's frustrating because it feels like it's just on the edge of being a really good show.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 01:01:17 AM »

Last night was the last chance for me. The week involves a crazed murderer, good guys solve bad guys psychosis in 10 minutes using old files and modern supercomputer, and then they track him down. Slightly different ending but basically same stuff.

Adios Alcatraz.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 01:30:26 AM »

Jaded punk.   icon_wink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »

it's keeping my interest so far.  I wonder if we're ever going to get an episode where we get to see one of the non-inmates who would have been on the island show up, since it appears that

Spoiler for Hiden:
Lucy and Dr. Beauregard were apparently on the island that night.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »

What was the point of the fancy soap the inmate had? I missed the connection figuring it would lead somewhere to finding motive or where the killer was.

Also I thought there was some master idea behind "releasing" certain inmates, providing them funds, and a mission to kill certain people. Did I miss the part where killing this kid was part of a master plan? It seemed like a random killing to me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:24 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 25, 2012, 07:23:55 PM

Also I thought there was some master idea behind "releasing" certain inmates, providing them funds, and a mission to kill certain people. Did I miss the part where killing this kid was part of a master plan? It seemed like a random killing to me.

the first inmate said he was part of a plan, but the other two don't seem to be part of any plan other than being collateral damage since all the missing inmates are coming back.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »

They have a plan!

A new one
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »

after reading everyones lukewarm to negative reviews here and on another site, i almost
didn't get around to watching the first 3 episodes.

I did the other night...I'm in!  Was in the best show ever?  No, but I find alcatraz fascinating, and
I'm certainly willing to give the show a shot
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »

I'm still in, decided to stick with it and dumped Lost Girl instead.  The main chick is growing on me a little bit now, but still not overly impressed.  Ditto on Hurley, and Sam Neill, sorry but the only role I ever liked him in was as Damien lol.  I'm still finding the inmates' stories the most interesting part of the show, particularly in the flashbacks.  Of course it doesn't hurt they keep hiring attractive actors (for the most part) that I like for the inmates.  Took me a while to recognize last week's guy, but he's the super handsome cop/boyfriend on Rookie Blue.  Next week we get Hoyt from True Blood, I love that guy.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »

Sam Neil was very good in the first Jurasic Park movie.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on February 02, 2012, 04:43:57 PM

Sam Neil was very good in the first Jurasic Park movie.

Bah...he was the best as Damien in Omen III:The Final Conflict

This starts tonight,so i have it on DVR...Christ knows i have enough on there already(Slash on Top Gear),and always wary about getting into American shows now because they always get cancelled when i am enjoying them icon_frown icon_mad

'Touch' starts next Tuesday,gonna give that a shot as well...has that started in U.S yet?,any good?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: