http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:08:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] 2012-2013 series pilots  (Read 1365 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:24:44 PM »

Saw this interesting list at Hollywood Reporter:

TV Pilots 2012: The Complete Guide
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-pilots-2012-complete-guide-287221
*While much of this can't help but make TV cynics roll their eyes -- hey, a cop show! a detective show! Something about firefighters! Hey it's a show about a surgeon, and a hospital!  Roll Eyes -- a few things seem to show some genuine imagination, which of course means most probably won't even ever make it into production.  icon_razz

A few that caught my eye (some of which have probably been discussed here in other threads), keeping in mind their list has a lot of repetition under the various network names because most of these apparently don't have a specific network commitment yet:

Dan Fogelman's Untitled Alien Comedy
Logline: Centers on a family that moves into a coveted New Jersey gated community only to discover that the entire neighborhood is comprised of aliens disguised as humans.
Cast: Lenny Venito (father of the family), Jami Gertz (mother of the family), Simon Templeman (Wilt Chamberlain, leader of the aliens), Toks Olagundoye (Jackie Joyner Kersee, mother of lead alien family, Tim Jo (Joe Montana, son of the alien family)
Team: D/EP Chris Koch, W/EP Dan Fogelman EP Aaron Kaplan
Studio: ABC Studios, Kapital Entertainment
Format: Single-camera
================
Prairie Dogs
Logline: Neil, an uncool cubicle worker (“prairie dog”) at one of the coolest companies in the world, is the victim of identity theft.  When he discovers the thief has created a much more fulfilling, kick ass life with his identity than he ever has, he engages the charismatic conman to help him change his life.
Cast: Michaela Watkins
Team: W/EP Jackie & Jeff Filgo
Studio: ABC Studios
Format: Single-camera
================
Beauty and the Beast [seems unrelated to the 1980s Linda Hamilton show]
Logline: A fantasy reimagining of the classic fairy tale set in a mythical, dangerous world where a beautiful and tough princess discovers an unlikely connection with a mysterious beast.
Cast:
Team: W Jon Steinberg; EP Gary Fleder, Mary Beth Basile; D Yves Simoneau
Studio: ABC Studios, Mojo Films
================
Gotham
Logline: After pursuing a seemingly unsolvable case, a female cop discovers a magical world that exists within New York City. A world that goes unseen by normal humans takes all of the familiar N.Y. landmarks and reinvents them in a magical, otherworldly manner.
Cast:
Team: W/EP Michael Green, EP Erwin Stoff; D Francis Lawrence
Studio: 20th Television
=================
The Last Resort
Logline: Centers on the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who, after ignoring an order to fire nuclear missiles, wind up being hunted and escape to a NATO outpost where they declare themselves to be the world's smallest nuclear nation. [Truly a WTF?  saywhat plot -bj]
Cast: Daniel Lissing, Andre Braugher, Daisy Betts, Autumn Reeser
Team: W/EP Karl Gajdusek, Shawn Ryan; EP Marney Hochman Nash; EP/D Martin Campbell
Studio: Sony Pictures Television
===================
Untitled Roland Emmerich election drama
Logline: An astrophysics grad student in NYC learns that he is the chosen one to destroy the forces of evil.
Cast: Max Thieriot, Yaya DaCosta
Team: W/D Roland Emmerich, EP Mark Gordon, Nicholas Pepper; W/EP Harold Kloser
Studio: ABC Studios, the Mark Gordon Co.
===================
Zero Hour
Logline: A bizarre twist of fate pulls a man who's spent 20 years as the editor of a skeptics magazine into one of the most compelling conspiracies in human history.
Cast:
Team: W/EP Paul Scheuring; EP Lorenzo DiBonaventura, Dan McDermott
Studio: ABC Studios
================
Elementary
Logline: A modern take on the cases of Sherlock Holmes, with the famed detective now living in New York City.
Cast: Jonny Lee Miller
Team: W/EP Robert Doherty; EPs Sarah Timberman, Carl Beverly; D Michael Cuesta
Studio: CBS Television Studios
=================
Do No Harm
Logline: A brilliant neurosurgeon wrestles with his dangerous alter-ego that threatens to wreak havoc on his personal and processional life.
Cast: Alana De La Garza
Team: W/EP David Schulner; EP Peter Traugott, Rachel Kaplan; Co-EP/D Michael Mayer
Studio: Universal Television
==================
Revolution
Logline: Follows a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.
Cast:
Team: W/EP Eric Kripke (Supernatural), J.J. Abrams; EP Bryan Burk; D Jon Favreau
Studio: Warner Bros. Television, Bad Robot
====================
Untitled Karyn Usher project
Logline: The orphaned 17-year-old daughter of a CIA operative encounters a mysterious rogue agent/assassin who serves as both her surrogate father and professional mentor in the spy world.
Cast:
Team: W/EP Karyn Usher; EP Marty Adelstein, Becky Clements, Shawn Levy; W/EP/D Brett Ratner
Studio: 21 Laps/Adelstein Productions, 20th Television
====================
Untitled Kevin Williamson serial killer drama
Logline: A thriller revolving around a diabolical serial killer who uses technology to create a cult of serial killers and the FBI agent who finds himself in the middle of it.
Cast: Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy, Shawn Ashmore, Valorie Curry
Team: W/EP Kevin Williamson; D Marcos Siega
Studio: Warner Bros. Television, Outerbanks Entertainment
===================
Arrow [for the CW network]
Logline: Based on the DC Comics title, published by DC Entertainment, this hourlong drama is a modern retelling of the legendary DC Comics character Green Arrow.
Cast: Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Susanna Thompson
Team: EP/W Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg (The Vampire Diaries)
Studio: Berlanti Productions, Warner Bros. Television
====================
The Selection
Logline: Based on the forthcoming series of books by Kiera Cass, The Selection is an epic romance set 300 years in the future which centers on a poor young woman who is chosen by lottery to participate in a competition to become the next queen of a war-torn nation at a crossroads.
Cast:
Team: W/EP Elizabeth Craft, Sarah Fain; D Mark Piznarski
Studio: Warner Bros. Television
Now that's just my own narrow, "what sounds different/imaginative" cherry-picking, and who knows how many of these shows will get to air. There certainly are a few things that sound intriguing, at least on paper.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »

That list is obviously false.  If it were real, it would be comprised almost entirely of shows about doctors, lawyers and cops.  They're the only professions that TV makers know of.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 15, 2012, 08:34:25 PM

That list is obviously false.  If it were real, it would be comprised almost entirely of shows about doctors, lawyers and cops.  They're the only professions that TV makers know of.
If you remove my cherry-picked list, what you are left with are... shows about doctors, lawyers and cops and a couple sitcoms about a 30s year old guy who loses his job, moves back in with his parents and... hilarity ensues!  Roll Eyes icon_smile

I seriously need to know more about The Last Resort and Gotham. Obviously the U.S. Navy is not gonna cooperate on The Last Resort, so I'm curious how they would figure out the set design/effects for a nuclear missile-equipped submarine. Apparently it's to be filmed in Hawaii:
http://www.kitv.com/r/30391682/detail.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:30:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

TV Line has a similar 2012-2013 TV Show Pilots List:
http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/pilot-season-abc-cbs-cw-fox-nbc/
Includes a helpful "TV pilots lingo guide":
Quote from: TVline
PILOT | You really want get basic, eh? When a network orders (or “picks up”) a pilot, they’re asking its writers/producers/studio to cast and produce a very close facsimile of what their series’ first episode will look like. Each pilot is reviewed by network brass, and then typically put into testing before a decision is made on whether it will land on the schedule (for fall or midseason).

PLANTED SPIN-OFF
| Also called a “backdoor” pilot, this is an episode of an existing series that sets up a prospective offshoot. Last year, Bones introduced a pal of Booth’s who went on to become The Finder. And if The Office this spring conspicuously centers an episode on the Schrute beet farm’s bed and breakfast, that’d be a planted pilot for the Dwight-centric spin-off. Free History Lesson: That Brady Bunch episode with new neighbor Ken Berry adopting three orphans? That was a planted pilot, for a spin-off to be called Kelly’s Kids that never took off. Same with that Las Vegas episode set at the Montecito’s New Orleans outpost manned by Dennis Hopper.

DRAMA/COMEDY PRESENTATION
| Occasionally, due to time or budget restraints, a network won’t order a full-on pilot but rather a “presentation” offering a not-quite-complete drama or a taste of what a sitcom would look like. The CW’s Hellcats was a recent instance of a lean drama presentation that earned a series order.

CAST-CONTINGENT/CAST CONTINGENCY
| Sometimes a network will order a pilot with the caveat that production can’t start until a suitable, usually “name” actor has been cast in the starring role. (A possible translation: “The premise is iffy, but a big star could really help sell it.”) So you’ll sometimes hear that with the casting of so-and-so, “the cast contingency has been lifted” on a pilot. (The sorta flip-side is an “if-come deal,” meaning the major players are pre-signed and rarin’ to go the instant the network OKs the pilot itself.)

SECOND POSITION
| These are perhaps the two words that makes fans of “bubble” shows most nervous each spring, as stars from underperforming series start booking pilots (provided they get the OK from their current bosses). The term literally means that the pilot role is in second position (or priority), should their current show be renewed. For example, going back to 2010: CBS’ Mad Love pilot was in second position for Tyler Labine, who at the time was (well, theoretically) waiting to hear on Sons of Tucson‘s fate. (Similarly, Sons of Tucson the year prior was in second position to Labine’s Reaper.) More recently, Damon Wayans Jr. last spring booked a lead on Fox’s New Girl, but when ABC granted Happy Endings a Season 2, New Girl had to replace his character. An actor booking a second position gig doesn’t always mean his/her current show is doomed… though it often tends to. Variation: A “safe second” means the pilot’s bosses have been discreetly all-but-assured that the actor in question will be available.

UPFRONTS | This is the week in mid-May when the networks take turns unveiling their schedules for next season — including the pilots that have been ordered to series. With rare exception (e.g. Fox’s Breaking In), if your show doesn’t make the cut here, it’s (gulp) officially a goner.
It's interesting to keep an eye out for people more typically thought of as movie stars in the pilot casts.

Kevin Williamson's serial killer/procedural show features Kevin Bacon for example. Natalie Portman's in a "sexy soap" pilot called Scruples for WBTV.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:41:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »

Elementary
Logline:
A modern take on the cases of Sherlock Holmes, with the famed detective now living in New York City.

Raz is gonna be so fucking pissed!!  icon_lol...on another note..Johnny Lee Miller?,really? saywhat

i gotta say that Prairie Dogs sounds like an episode of Friends when Monica has her credit card stolen,infact its exactly what happens in the episode

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 16, 2012, 02:39:53 PM

Elementary
Logline:
A modern take on the cases of Sherlock Holmes, with the famed detective now living in New York City.

Raz is gonna be so fucking pissed!!  icon_lol...on another note..Johnny Lee Miller?,really? saywhat

hey, he's already involved in the Dark Shadows remake so why not go for another classic?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »

They are really pushing the magical, faerie tale stuff these last couple of years it seems. Nothing in those descriptions made me excited, but maybe the previews will.

Amc and FX have kind of spoiled me I guess. I have a pretty high standard of TV nowadays
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »

Follows a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.

All forms of energy?  Really? 

Good God.  I took physics for poets to meet my science requirements and that made even me cringe.

(I assume they mean "electricity and other modern stuff stop working," and not "everyone dies and everything reaches zero Kelvin and is perfectly still," because that would be a pretty boring show.)

So -- Dies the Fire, basically.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »

E=mc2 + fun!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:27:01 AM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on February 16, 2012, 10:23:28 PM

Follows a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.

All forms of energy?  Really? 

Good God.  I took physics for poets to meet my science requirements and that made even me cringe.

(I assume they mean "electricity and other modern stuff stop working," and not "everyone dies and everything reaches zero Kelvin and is perfectly still," because that would be a pretty boring show.)

So -- Dies the Fire, basically.

Back in my younger days, we had pausefish on the tv between programs. Yes, fish swimming around a fish tank to look at, while waiting for the next program to start.

I assume a show about a time and place where all energy has vanished is kinda the same - Zen tv to stare at and just "be".

That aside, what an awesome concept to come up with for a tv show and its so damn telling about the degree of education in the business.

A new one
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

'Gotham' sounds fascinating. So does 'Last Resort'. 'Prairie Dogs' could be really funny if done well (On broadcast TV, I doubt it). 'Do No Harm' makes me go mmmm. Kevin Williamson Serial Killer series shows farfetched but interesting if they can pull it off.

Oh, and 'Revolution' sounds Mmmmm. It's from Bad Robot/JJ Abrams ('Alias','Fringe').. so it could be something if they can pull it off.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:22:43 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on February 22, 2012, 03:18:52 PM

'Gotham' sounds fascinating. So does 'Last Resort'. 'Prairie Dogs' could be really funny if done well (On broadcast TV, I doubt it). 'Do No Harm' makes me go mmmm. Kevin Williamson Serial Killer series shows farfetched but interesting if they can pull it off.

Oh, and 'Revolution' sounds Mmmmm. It's from Bad Robot/JJ Abrams ('Alias','Fringe').. so it could be something if they can pull it off.

You conveniently left Alcatraz off his resume.   icon_wink

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 22, 2012, 03:35:08 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on February 22, 2012, 03:18:52 PM

You conveniently left Alcatraz off his resume.   icon_wink

Yeah, I've not seen an episode of it. Any good?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »

I watched the first two episodes which took the form of a pilot. 

I was not impressed.  There's 6 episodes sitting on my dvr unwatched.  My finger hovers over the delete button on the remote every night.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 22, 2012, 04:27:36 PM

I was not impressed.  There's 6 episodes sitting on my dvr unwatched.  My finger hovers over the delete button on the remote every night.
I haven't really done more than channel surf through Alcatraz but there seems to be some unanimous feelings online that the female character (or the actress playing here) is not cutting the mustard opposite Sam Neil. Although some TV critics suggest they re-cast the part, I suspect they'll just hope that she Grows on viewers.

Some of the pilots on that list to me cry out for being done as limited mini-series of some sort. I think canceled shows like Flash Forward and The Event might've succeeded better as mini-series specifically designed to conclude in X episodes and didn't necessarily have plot lines that lent themselves to 50-100 or however many episodes. Of course US networks don't think that way, that's more how UK series run, even great ones like Life on Mars (one season, maybe two, and half as many episodes as a full US show's season runs).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:37:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 22, 2012, 10:32:12 PM

I was not impressed.  There's 6 episodes sitting on my dvr unwatched.  My finger hovers over the delete button on the remote every night.
I haven't really done more than channel surf through Alcatraz but there seems to be some unanimous feelings online that the female character (or the actress playing here) is not cutting the mustard opposite Sam Neil. Although some TV critics suggest they re-cast the part, I suspect they'll just hope that she Grows on viewers.

I've been keeping up with it, and they're falling into the problem of adding mystery upon mystery without actually revealing anything.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 10:42:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 22, 2012, 10:34:55 PM

I've been keeping up with it, and they're falling into the problem of adding mystery upon mystery without actually revealing anything.

Uh oh. It's 'Lost Syndrome'.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 06:30:18 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on February 22, 2012, 10:42:35 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 22, 2012, 10:34:55 PM

Uh oh. It's 'Lost Syndrome'.

just saw on TV by the Numbers it's likely to be cancelled too.  they're also predicting the CW's shows may be in for a bloodbath, with Vampire Diaries being the only one listed as 'certain renewal'.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 07:19:47 AM »

Thats a shame - the last few episodes were way better than the first ones. That said, I just discovered Alphas, and man thats a great show!

Between that, NCIS season 9, Bones, and Lost Girl we're pretty well set up for some fun tv shows!

A new one
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »

Considering that its on SyFy, Alphas turned out to be much better than I expected.  Granted it is a paint by numbers rip off of the X-men but its well done and entertaining. 
 Alcatraz has potential and hopefully they get the chance to tell its story but the monster of the week style isnt cutting it and they really need to pump some life into the female lead.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »

Really? X-Men ripoff? In what way is it that? They don't wear suits - They aren't superheroes like in "Heroes" for instance (That I have seen yet - only seen 3 episodes), they are just bumpling along, and the show isn't adverse to some serious bloody stuff from what I've seen so far.
The powers are well, limited in that they each seem to have weakness' they have to overcome.

OH, and its a genuine question, not a flippant smart-ass retort.

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »

flippant, smart-ass delivery of a genuine question!  icon_twisted
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 23, 2012, 06:30:18 AM

they're also predicting the CW's shows may be in for a bloodbath, with Vampire Diaries being the only one listed as 'certain renewal'.

You must be the happiest girl on your block!

(okay, I tease...but I actually watched the first season on netflix and the show does have a certain charm to it.  I still think it suffers from having a standard CW teen love story, but at least they get down and dirty with the killin' and all.)

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 23, 2012, 01:48:37 PM

Really? X-Men ripoff? In what way is it that? They don't wear suits - They aren't superheroes like in "Heroes" for instance (That I have seen yet - only seen 3 episodes), they are just bumpling along, and the show isn't adverse to some serious bloody stuff from what I've seen so far.
The powers are well, limited in that they each seem to have weakness' they have to overcome.

OH, and its a genuine question, not a flippant smart-ass retort.
Well clearly I didnt mean they were running around in yellow and black spandex but there are obviously plot parallels.  The Doctor/Mentor is a lot like Professor X,  you have a bunch of young confused mutants learning their power and trying to fit into normal society.  The government is already starting a mutant control agenda.  Theres a underground faction of mutants who are aggressively fighting for mutant supremacy.  Yes the mutants are not quite as godlike powerful as the XMen but the basic plot structure is very similar.  Perhaps I should have used derivative instead of ripped off but still I think the point is valid.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:42:00 PM by rshetts2 » Logged

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »

Lucy Liu to play Watson in Elementary

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: