http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:23:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [trailer]The Time Travellers Wife  (Read 1100 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 04:37:04 AM »

trailer.  an interesting twist on Time Travel, kinda reminds me of what I saw of Journeyman.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:05:22 AM »

While space travel is impossible, we have to prepare these beings for travel of some sort...

ninja

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:24:11 AM »

I loved the book. I hope the movie doesn't mess up the story. It was quite complex, even moreso than Back to the Future in terms of paradoxes, but all making sense in the end.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »

Hmmmm, I dunno. I like time travel stories. Romances, less so. That trailer looks an awful lot like a love story with a gimmick. I suppose I'll wait for the reviews.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »

Like Rumpy said, the book is fantastic, and definitely worth reading.  I'm hoping beyond hope that they don't screw up the movie.  Regardless of the movie's quality, everyone should read the book.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 14, 2009, 05:08:53 PM

Hmmmm, I dunno. I like time travel stories. Romances, less so. That trailer looks an awful lot like a love story with a gimmick. I suppose I'll wait for the reviews.

It's not a gimmick. It's a twist!  icon_twisted

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 14, 2009, 05:08:53 PM

It's much more than that. The writer deftly wrote a story with so many twist and turns due to the time travelling, that you wonder how she even began to write it. I picture the writer with post-it notes everywhere to assemble her timeline.  It's more like a science-fiction love story. The sci-fi plays heavily into it. I see it as a classic, much like Back to the Future was for ther 80's. There's a lot of depth in the book. It's very complex, and intelligently makes things work without making the reader feel stupid by hitting them over the head with things. It's one of my favourite recent novels.

The trailer does disappoint me. It's played off as more of a romance, and shows less about the concept of the story. For example, I'd be showing off his disappearance the first time he meets Claire in the first 10 or 20 seconds of the trailer. It saves the time-travelling aspect until later.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:40:30 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 08:22:11 PM »

I'll have to ask my wife about the book. I know she read it. I'm prepared to believe that the trailer is just trying to position it as a chick flick.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Hopefully future trailers show off more the time-traveling aspect.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »

The real trick about the time traveling is that he has no control over it (think Slaughterhouse 5 style "unstuck in time"), and he goes back to different times each time he goes.  So he might wind up in, say, 1984 when he's 40, and then 1985 when he's 22. 

Make no mistake, the book is definitely a love story, but it's one of the most non-straightforward, complex love stories I've ever seen.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »

Yeah, and it's very unlinear.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »

I was at B&N today so decided to pick up this book today.  I'd rather read it before I see the movie so figured it had better happen soon.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 02:06:36 PM »

Rachel McAdams is hot!

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »

great another ploy for wives/gfs to bring their SO to a chick flick
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 04:07:00 AM »

and it may be a TV series too.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 04:15:09 AM »

I finished the book a couple weeks back and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I am now worried that they turned this movie into traditional Hollywood romantic tripe.  Has anyone seen it yet?

I can see the story working as series, but I can't see them doing it well, if that makes sense.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 19, 2009, 04:15:09 AM

I finished the book a couple weeks back and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I am now worried that they turned this movie into traditional Hollywood romantic tripe.  Has anyone seen it yet?

Yes.  It's so much worse than you think.

While we were getting ready to play Dungeons & Dragons on Saturday, Rich asked me what The Time Traveler's Wife was about.  He probably did that because I brought it up, but because I was taking cold medication and have the physiology of a hummingbird, the details are a little hazy.  I do know that my lethargic, rambling response touched on a couple plot elements but totally missed the part about explaining why they're any good.  

If Rich combined my vague description with a Cliff's Notes summary to produce a screenplay, it couldn't possibly be worse than what they actually filmed.  

The Time Traveler's Wife is a textbook example of how to botch a book-to-movie transition, adapting a handful of memorable scenes for the screen without any regard for *why* they were important to the novel.  Here's an example from really early on: when present-day Henry brings Clare back to his apartment for the first time, he blindfolds her and makes her count to a thousand while he dashes around collecting dirty dishes and kicking dirty clothes under the bed.  He forgets a couple things though, and the next morning Clare finds his girlfriend's lipstick and diaphragm in the medicine cabinet.  It sets up a major theme that runs through the entire first act of the book: that in all the years Clare has known and loved and waited for Henry, he was living a normal life with no idea she existed.

That scene appears early in the movie too, minus the significance.  It's just something that happens, in the same sedated fashion that makes every scene feel listless and clumsy.  Part of the problem is that Henry's role in Clare's growing up is incredibly minimized.  Out of the couple dozen times he visits her between the ages of 5 and 18 in the book, only three made it into the movie and I guarantee you'll be disappointed at the choices.

That's true of the entire script.  The most powerful scenes from the book are either absent or so ineptly executed that you'll wish they were.  Possibly the worst offender is the wedding scene that could have been shot verbatim straight off the page, but instead is carefully rewritten to avoid any dramatic tension.  Gomez is the only secondary character who gets more than a Post-It note worth of dialogue, but rather than the surprisingly poignant role he's supposed to play, he's relegated to Wry Sidekick.

The direction is awful.  It's like every single shot was captured on the forty-fifth take, long after the lines had become worn and withered and rolled off the tongue like dried peanut butter.  There's absolutely no passion in it at all: no love, no humor, no anger, no fear.  A sweeping romance for patients on digitalis.

Do not see The Time Traveler's Wife in the theater.  Do not rent it from the store or waste a slot on your Netflix queue.  If you're really curious enough to still want to see the movie, wait until this October when I'm sure you'll find it on the Lifetime Channel in endless rotation with Katharine Heigl's Love Comes Softly and Denise Richards in I Do (But I Don't).

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:56:41 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »

frown

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »

Thanks for the input Autistic.  I'm surprised at what you said, since I had previously thought that the consensus was the movie is tolerable if you had already read and liked the book.  You seem to be saying the opposite, but the examples you gave sound like gripes I'd have myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: