http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 06:12:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [trailer]Shutter Island  (Read 1363 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 04:33:32 AM »

a new film from Scorsese, with DeCaprio.  I like the Departed with those two, so hopefully they can deliver again.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »

The book is amazing and worth reading is you like mystery/suspense.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »

This movie was a mind-fuck (in a good way).

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »

Trailer reminds me somehow of Mindhunters, strangely enough... Looks very interesting actually!

A new one
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »

The book was really good. Unfortunately having read it means you know they essentially blast you with most of the major plot points (including the twist...) in the trailer.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:10:06 PM »

I saw it on opening night.  The theater seemed like it was filled with younger people expecting a Scream/I Know What You Did Last Summer type of movie.

It is not that type of movie.  Many of them came out of it disappointed.  I'm not sure how I felt about it.  I kind of want to see it again when it hits blu ray.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »

It was OK. Big holes in the plot though, but not a bad time waster. Saving grace as usual is DeCaprio's acting chops. Other than that, meh.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 24, 2010, 05:32:02 PM

It was OK. Big holes in the plot though, but not a bad time waster. Saving grace as usual is DeCaprio's acting chops. Other than that, meh.

If you did not see the movie DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER !!!!!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Since DeCaprio's character was in an insane delusion the whole time, any perceived plot holes can be covered by his delusions.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »

Yeah I get your point in that spoiler.
Spoiler for Hiden:
but in one part Kingsley is trying to get him to see that its HIM that he's really looking for. Why wouldn't they just have shown him a newspaper clipping of the muder of his wife and kids. Surely the papers would have printed his picture and real name. There were other minor things like this. I'm sure its just nit picking but in movies like this details are very important to suspend disbelief

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 06:27:57 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 24, 2010, 06:23:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
but in one part Kingsley is trying to get him to see that its HIM that he's really looking for. Why wouldn't they just have shown him a newspaper clipping of the muder of his wife and kids. Surely the papers would have printed his picture and real name. There were other minor things like this. I'm sure its just nit picking but in movies like this details are very important to suspend disbelief

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I took it more that Kingsley suspected that DiCaprio was hung up on reliving a certain scenario in his mind so he hoped that if he could get him to live it out in reality and take it to it's logical endpoint that he would realize the truth.  The idea being that he wouldn't believe it if someone just told him, he had to actually reach the conclusion himself. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 24, 2010, 06:27:57 PM

Quote from: Arclight on February 24, 2010, 06:23:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I took it more that Kingsley suspected that DiCaprio was hung up on reliving a certain scenario in his mind so he hoped that if he could get him to live it out in reality and take it to it's logical endpoint that he would realize the truth.  The idea being that he wouldn't believe it if someone just told him, he had to actually reach the conclusion himself.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
Exactly.  If Kingsley's character would have simply shown him a newspaper, DiCaprio would have just seen it as part of the government's master plan to have him committed. And as the viewer I would have thought so as well, right up until the end.

.....In fact I still might.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:45:08 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »

Yeah, its all speculations based on what you're wanting to prove.
Spoiler for Hiden:
newspapers, workers, family members, etc, etc, would have all been used to bring reality into his mind instead of this huge convoluted role playing game putting at risk the guards and other patients just to get Dicaprio to see the "light"..? I dunno, for movie popcorn fun maybe, but in reality nah, ain't gonna happen

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 01:00:12 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 24, 2010, 05:44:59 PM

Quote from: Arclight on February 24, 2010, 05:32:02 PM

If you did not see the movie DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER !!!!!

HOW BOUT IF YOU'VE READ THE BOOK TWICE??!?!?!

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 05:21:16 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
What if DiCaprio wasn't crazy?
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »

Quote from: kratz on February 25, 2010, 05:21:16 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Boom.

Head explodes.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wonder if this is indicated by the last question he asks before going to the light tower: Is it better to live as a monster or die as a good man?

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 07:21:11 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 25, 2010, 07:09:03 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wonder if this is indicated by the last question he asks before going to the light tower: Is it better to live as a monster or die as a good man?

Spoiler for Hiden:
  If you mean that he was cured to some extent but he realized that he could backslide at any time so he tricked the staff into thinking that the other identity had take over so they would put him out of his misery ie "die as a good man" then, yeah, I agree.  However I took kratz's comment to mean that maybe he really was Teddy and the whole thing really was indeed an elaborate ruse to cover up the testing that was happening there. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 25, 2010, 07:21:11 PM

Quote from: Ridah on February 25, 2010, 07:09:03 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  If you mean that he was cured to some extent but he realized that he could backslide at any time so he tricked the staff into thinking that the other identity had take over so they would put him out of his misery ie "die as a good man" then, yeah, I agree.  However I took kratz's comment to mean that maybe he really was Teddy and the whole thing really was indeed an elaborate ruse to cover up the testing that was happening there. 

Yeah, I mean the same thing as Kratz.

Sean Lama
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »

Well... hrm...

Spoiler for Hiden:
That last statement could be a couple things, including:

1. He *was* cured, but couldn't live with the knowledge that he had killed his wife and she had killed their children, so he was in a way committing suicide by pretending he was still Teddy, who in his fantasy was a good man... which was my read of the situation.

2. He wasn't cured.

3. He really was Teddy, and either was convinced that his partner was his partner because the drug induced delusions he was subjected to made it impossible for him to know that his partner was in on it, or he really was Teddy and he knew he was screwed, so he chose death.

I tend to lean towards #1, simply because of his last statement.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »

Watched this last night and totally didn't see it coming.  I figured something was fishy the whole time, but not that.  Good flick, I enjoyed it.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »

Finally saw this and while I thought the twist was relatively easy to spot from a very early point in the film, the final line from Leo's character helped to make that reveal secondary to the story's point, and thus less of an issue for me.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 11, 2010, 03:18:48 PM

Finally saw this and while I thought the twist was relatively easy to spot from a very early point in the film, the final line from Leo's character helped to make that reveal secondary to the story's point, and thus less of an issue for me.

With regards to that last line...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I thought it was trying to throw you off and make it seem like maybe the reveal wasn't real?  After I started thinking about it, I thought he *was* crazy...right?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 11, 2010, 03:24:29 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 11, 2010, 03:18:48 PM

With regards to that last line...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I thought it was trying to throw you off and make it seem like maybe the reveal wasn't real?  After I started thinking about it, I thought he *was* crazy...right?

Spoiler for Hiden:
it's open to interpretation, of course.  however, my interpretation is that the twist revealed the real circumstances and his final line was his way of ending the madness and sacrificing his self to keep others safe and to forget what he had done.  the only reason I suspected what was really going on early in the film is that Hollywood has conditioned me to expect this to be the twist any time a movie is set in an insane asylum.  it's overused to the point of ludicrousness in my opinion.  I was glad to have it become less of the focal point of the film at the end of the movie due to Leo's final line.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 02:37:07 AM »

Outstanding movie...even the somewhat different score.

Looking back on it, I really don't think the reveal was supposed to be all that hidden.

Spoiler for Hiden:
He didn't want to live with being cured...or at least didn't want to live with those memories. Not sure that I blame him.

Can't wait for Inception. Leo's a damn fine actor.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 03:25:36 AM »

Movie gets a meh from me.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:20 AM »

i thought it was a pretty good movie even though the reveal was easy to spot, pretty much for the same reasons that hepcat posted.  it's like going into an M night movie and expecting something other than a twist.  well, that or crap-served-lukewarm. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 06:08:37 AM »

Annyoingly, someone on another forum spoiled the whole idea and ending in an Inception thread for me, so I'll give this movie a pass. I dont think the movie will be worth watching, knowing what's really going on - is it?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 06:15:06 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 04, 2010, 06:08:37 AM

Annyoingly, someone on another forum spoiled the whole idea and ending in an Inception thread for me, so I'll give this movie a pass. I dont think the movie will be worth watching, knowing what's really going on - is it?

I'd say it might still be worth watching.  I watched it the other night and found the way the story developed didn't surprise me.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »

I saw it the other night already knowing what the 'reveal' was going to be.  I really liked it, other than the score feeling really out of place at times.  It is a slow burner, so don't go in expecting a fast-paced thriller.  My wife and the other couple that watched it with us thought it was a little too slow.
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 08:05:40 PM »

Finally got to this moive via netflix.  I did not like it at all, one of my least favorite films I have seen in quite some time.  The score was horrible and WAY over the top (in the beginning while driving to the institution for the first time, my god that was bad). It was probably done that way on purpose, but it did not work. The "twist" was really easy to guess very early and by 1/2 way was obvious.  While some moives with twists are still good even if you know what is going on (you can see clues you missed when you did not know) for me this was not.  I had to fast forward through a lot of the 2nd half to even finish watching it.  Dicaprio was good but not enough to save the film.  Bad bad bad. thumbsdown
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: