http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:30:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [trailer]Sherlock Holmes  (Read 2038 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:36:58 AM »

it's the Odd Couple!  the very last bit cracked me up  icon_lol  perhahps it could be a new avatar  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:50:52 AM »

For some reason, I was thinking the film would be more serious in tone. I'm interested though, most certainly. biggrin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:55:21 AM by Jiffy » Logged
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »

Meh.  Makes it look like an action/comedy.  Certainly not what I had in mind.  Can't say I'm planning on seeing it at this point, will really depend on reviews.

16-bit and loving it!
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:21:46 AM »

In

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:06:03 AM »

What is this, Sherlock Holmes the fucking blockbuster action hero? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:17:23 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 19, 2009, 06:06:03 AM

Jeremy Brett also portrayed him more or less like that - fencing, jumping out windows, quick of wit and so on. Another thing that struck me - the trailer may have given a totally wrong picture of the movie, as we have seen so many times in the past to try and appease the actionhungry crowd.

Who doesnt remember the actionflick trailer for Deep Impact, with spaceships, explosions, action stuff, more explosions and so on? While basically it was a human drama, and not a bruce willis flick. I fear the same may apply here

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »

I think the trailer looks great.

Quote from: Razgon on May 19, 2009, 06:17:23 AM

Another thing that struck me - the trailer may have given a totally wrong picture of the movie, as we have seen so many times in the past to try and appease the actionhungry crowd.

This was my thought as well. Hopefully amid all that action there's some really strong dialogue and logical reasoning that the character is known for.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 19, 2009, 06:06:03 AM

Jeremy Brett also portrayed him more or less like that - fencing, jumping out windows, quick of wit and so on.

thats how he was in the books(with boxing as well),and although he was pretty messy at times round at Baker Street you had a sense in both the charcater in the book and Jeremy Bretts Holmes that he didnt want a hair out of place on himself...so seeing Downey Jrs Holmes as unshaven looks odd

don't think its cinema viewing for myself,but definetly DVD...and its not like i make a habit of going to the cinema on Christmas day,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »

I think it will just have some comedic touchstones.  Robert Downey Jr. looks to be playing Sherlock Holmes as played by Tony Stark, but you can see there's some seriousness in between there.  It looks good to me overall.

For any Sherlock Holmes fans, you'll be either pleased or horrified to know that Will Ferrell is attached to another Sherlock Holmes project.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 04:28:13 PM »

Quote from: kathode on May 19, 2009, 02:13:40 PM

For any Sherlock Holmes fans, you'll be either pleased or horrified to know that Will Ferrell is attached to another Sherlock Holmes project.

Yes, but you should mention that one is supposed to be a comedy.  Sacha Baron Cohen as Holmes and Ferrell as Watson does sound nuts for a drama, but not a comedy.

16-bit and loving it!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on May 19, 2009, 04:28:13 PM

Yes, but you should mention that one is supposed to be a comedy.  Sacha Baron Cohen as Holmes and Ferrell as Watson does sound nuts for a drama, but not a comedy.

I would argue that it does sound nuts for a comedy as well, but only because I don't find Ferrell or Cohen even remotely funny.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on May 19, 2009, 04:28:13 PM

Ah I figured most people would assume it's a screwball comedy like just about all of Ferrell's other stuff.  I actually just vaguely remembered that he was going to be in one and looked it up on IMDB real fast to be sure.  No details available unless you've got IMDB Pro though.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 08:23:47 PM »

Meh. That doesn't look like Holmes at all. I too thought it would have a more serious tone to it. I hate how Robert Downey Jr. looks as Holmes. It goes against canon. I've always seen Holmes as a quiet sophisticated individual, which the cocaine addiction contrasted. I really want to see a serious big screen Sherlock Holmes story. We haven't had one in a long time, not this crap.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »

the latest and greatestdrool

Because I can,
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 02:06:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 05, 2009, 12:54:00 AM

How about a link that works for your cousins of the north Tongue
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 02:16:03 AM »

horrified

This
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 05:15:08 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 05, 2009, 02:06:46 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 05, 2009, 12:54:00 AM

How about a link that works for your cousins of the north Tongue

it's exclusive to MTV for now it seems.

Because I can,
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 07:55:11 PM »

Well damn. When I go to that link, it gives me a choice of either the American or Canadian site. If I go to the American site, it tells me I can't watch it. If I go to the Canadian site, it doesn't have the same content.

Edit: Well go figure. It works today.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:58:23 PM by Rumpy » Logged
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »

Looks like fun to me, and something to do while freezing to death in Pittsburgh for Christmas.  Plus, I fail to see how this strays inexcusably from the Holmes of novel fame.  He would occasionally fight with adversaries, his home was often untidy and cluttered, but I will give you that Holmes had better hygiene in the books and not so much in the film, but overall I think it takes what made Holmes such an interesting eccentric and packages it all together into a film that looks rather entertaining to me.  Too much action?  Perhaps.  Or, perhaps the filmmakers put as much action from the film into the trailer as possible to spur interest but it may not be entirely action-heavy.  Trailers can be terribly misleading (In Bruges is a perfect example), so I'm still optimistic and hope that we get to see a great deal of Holmes' deductive reasoning and eccentricities with just a bit of action to break up the pace of the film.

I'm surely going to see it in the theater.  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:14:44 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »

I hope to catch this or Avatar next weekend. I'm sure it'll be fun, but some of the trailer variations I've seen make it seem more like a Lethal Weapon movie set in London, more than anything else. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, and maybe just what it needs to get a mass audience interested.

This CNN headline is firmly tongue-in-cheek but it'll get your attention  icon_lol

Jude Law 'in love' with 'Sherlock Holmes' co-star Robert Downey Jr.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/17/sherlock.holmes/index.html
The film, a more action-packed rendition of the Victorian detective story, is also being pitched as a more loyal rendering of Conan Doyle's characters. Conan Doyle, first published in 1887, wrote four novels and 56 short stories that feature Holmes.

"Guy said to me, 'You're going to be a little bit more the Western martial artist that Sir Conan Doyle referred to Holmes as in the original text," Downey Jr. told CNN. "We're definitely not going for the bumbling, foot-in-the-wastebasket type character."

Law said, what was "thrilling was that, I discovered that we were going actually back to source material rather than inventing." The British heart throb said it was "very clear from the get-go that we didn't want to trample all over 100-or-so years of Conan Doyle legacy. We wanted to use that very much as the bible."

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »

i am glad to see that the woman's name is Irene Adler,thats the only woman that Holmes had any respect/love/whatever for

Spoiler for Hiden:
however,knowing that... i may of spoilt the ending for myself,or some of the ending knowing about her

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 08:27:16 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on May 19, 2009, 01:27:27 PM

I think the trailer looks great.

Another thing that struck me - the trailer may have given a totally wrong picture of the movie, as we have seen so many times in the past to try and appease the actionhungry crowd.

This was my thought as well. Hopefully amid all that action there's some really strong dialogue and logical reasoning that the character is known for.

Make that a hope.  If it were a summer movie, I'd say no way, but with a winter release, the odds are a bit higher that the writing will be up to snuff

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 06:50:05 AM »

For those that are curious about what was changed for the movie adaptation.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 07:44:15 AM »

Did I just see some guy teleport?  Who is the antagonist in this movie?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 03:58:53 PM »

I think the villain is something like "Lord Blackwood" or something:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sfaYrWgZQ48/Snl2HoorQDI/AAAAAAAAAJI/cGiicS3Ow_M/s1600-h/Mark+Strong+Lord+Blackwood.jpg

He's supposed to be a "master of the occult," maybe a devil worshipper or something. I had to laugh when I heard that, because it reminded me a bit of the mostly maligned (assign from its historically interesting early use of computerized special effects) Young Sherlock Holmes:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090357/plotsummary
Paired with the owlish, reticent young Watson, Sherlock Holmes embarks on the solution of a mystery that involves a hallucinatory and lethal drug, and a religious cult celebrating ancient Egyptian rites of mummification.
You'd think they'd find a way to have a Holmes villain that doesn't involve cults and pagan worship. Just for variety's sake.  icon_razz

Although I hope to see it next weekend, I'm a little worried at a new trailer I saw yesterday that splashes review quotes saying "IT'S SPECTACULAR ENTERTAINMENT!" (in all CAPS, JUST LIKE THAT), and then in 3 pt. font, that's from "Craig Mooshba, Po-Dunk TV-63 News"; and "I WAS ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT!" from "Joe Blow, Hoboken News-Sentinel;  and "THE CASTING IS PICTURE PERFECT!" by "Joan Schmoe, joanschmoe.com." Where do they dig these people up?  smirk (I made up the names, but you get the idea).

That doesn't mean the bigger media outlets won't like it (maybe that doesn't even mean anything anymore), but generally one way you often know a movie isn't so hot is if its trailers/ads only quote completely unknown critics and media outlets and blogs and what have you gushing about it. It's too early to say that about Holmes, I guess -- but if it's out for a week or two and THEN you still see trailers like the one above, I'd say it's a warning sign for sure at that point.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:11:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 04:26:39 PM »

Excited to see this. Actually, I'm reading through the free Kindle release of the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes at the moment... so this movie release is excellent timing  thumbsup

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 18, 2009, 03:58:53 PM

I think the villain is something like "Lord Blackwood" or something:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sfaYrWgZQ48/Snl2HoorQDI/AAAAAAAAAJI/cGiicS3Ow_M/s1600-h/Mark+Strong+Lord+Blackwood.jpg

He's supposed to be a "master of the occult," maybe a devil worshipper or something. I had to laugh when I heard that, because it reminded me a bit of the mostly maligned (assign from its historically interesting early use of computerized special effects) Young Sherlock Holmes:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090357/plotsummary
Paired with the owlish, reticent young Watson, Sherlock Holmes embarks on the solution of a mystery that involves a hallucinatory and lethal drug, and a religious cult celebrating ancient Egyptian rites of mummification.
You'd think they'd find a way to have a Holmes villain that doesn't involve cults and pagan worship. Just for variety's sake.  icon_razz

Although I hope to see it next weekend, I'm a little worried at a new trailer I saw yesterday that splashes review quotes saying "IT'S SPECTACULAR ENTERTAINMENT!" (in all CAPS, JUST LIKE THAT), and then in 3 pt. font, that's from "Craig Mooshba, Po-Dunk TV-63 News"; and "I WAS ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT!" from "Joe Blow, Hoboken News-Sentinel;  and "THE CASTING IS PICTURE PERFECT!" by "Joan Schmoe, joanschmoe.com." Where do they dig these people up?  smirk (I made up the names, but you get the idea).

That doesn't mean the bigger media outlets won't like it (maybe that doesn't even mean anything anymore), but generally one way you often know a movie isn't so hot is if its trailers/ads only quote completely unknown critics and media outlets and blogs and what have you gushing about it. It's too early to say that about Holmes, I guess -- but if it's out for a week or two and THEN you still see trailers like the one above, I'd say it's a warning sign for sure at that point.

It's already got a Golden Globe (win or nomination?) and it's not even out yet. I just saw Robert Downey Jr on TV to promote the movie and while he talked a lot, he didn't say much about the actual movie, which is the same thing that Harrison Ford did while promoting Crystal Skull. Dunno about you, but I equate that to being very wary about it. When the people promoting a movie are silent about it, I don't expect good things.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »

so, anyone get a chance to see this yet?  I may go see it tomorrow, or I may see Avatar instead.

Because I can,
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 26, 2009, 06:27:27 PM

so, anyone get a chance to see this yet?  I may go see it tomorrow, or I may see Avatar instead.

Yes...it was great.  And this is coming from a Jeremy Brett fan.  I give major props to Jude Law for the great job he does as Watson.

While it does have a bit of comedy + James Bondish action thrown in, it is still at the core a Holmes mystery (with violin to boot) and a pretty good one at that.  The ending is a bit anti-climatic, but it does a good job of setting-up a series.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »

Quote from: dangerballs on December 26, 2009, 06:43:59 PM

Yes...it was great.  And this is coming from a Jeremy Brett fan.  I give major props to Jude Law for the great job he does as Watson.

i am a big Jeremy Brett fan also,so i am glad that you liked it,i just saw Avatar today,so hopefully i can catch Sherlock Holmes soon

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »

just got back from seeing this

i quite enjoyed it overall,yes both Holmes and Watson are different from what we know,but both Jude Law and RDJ are good together

if you have seen any of Guy Ritchie's other films,particularly 'Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' or even more so 'Snatch',then you will recognize a lot of the style of this film

the fighting scenes are the best,you have seen them in the trailer...where he explains what he is going to do and shows you in slow-mo,but what you don't see is straight after,its repeated when it is all speeded up in realtime..he can explain what he is going to do in a few minutes,in realtime its over in seconds..i thought that was pretty cool

its on for 2hrs and 33minutes,but it didn't really feel that long,hopefully all 3 will get together again for a sequel

from IMDB
"Sherlock Holmes" hit theaters at a difficult moment last year. It came out only a week after all-time box office gross record-holder "Avatar" did, and on Christmas Day no less. James Cameron's sci-fi epic has dominated the box office since December 18, and "Holmes" was overlooked by many as a result.

Well, not that many. The $90 million-budgeted action/mystery has earned almost $400 million so far worldwide, with a home video release still to come. That's successful by any estimation, and more than enough to warrant the heavily forecasted sequel, and soon.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »

2 hours 33 minutes?  The movie wasn't that long.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 27, 2010, 08:15:35 PM

2 hours 33 minutes?  The movie wasn't that long.

sorry i meant to say 2hrs 13 minutes

i have to say also that the version i saw was cut,it didn't show all that Irene Adler stuff from the trailer,her bending over in her purple corset or kicking Holmes in the balls or even kissing him at that point...it did a quicker scene to get him in handcuffs on the bed

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »

Yeah, that wasn't shown stateside, either.  A lot of times, things in trailers don't make it into the final cut of a film.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 10:41:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 27, 2010, 08:53:25 PM

it didn't show her bending over in her purple corset

Motivation waning....
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »

Just saw this, and loved it! Man, I hated Jude Law before this, but he really did awesomely in this movie...

While some may quail at the more modern version of holmes shown here, it was clearly a labour of love, as shown in the scenes in busy london, which was clearly inspired by the old Jeremy Brett show. The movie was humorous, fun, inspired, and I loved the villain (Well, Lord Blackwood, that is). The mysterios figure is someone I figured out quite quickly due to my knowledge of Sherlock Holmes, but still....brilliant! Even the female counterpart to Sherlock was well done.

Robery Downey was brilliant, as he has been ever since prison time...I wonder what they did to him in there.

Loved the movie, and the only thing that detracted from it in my opinion was the REALLY crappy CGI...why on earth they used whatever company they used for it is beyond me... The bridge scene was almost choppy since the rendering was far from perfect as was the case of many of the CGI moments.

Cant wait to see the sequel which will arrive in 2011!!

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: