http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:19:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Survey] What do you do for a living?  (Read 10000 times)
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2005, 12:12:53 AM »

I'm an architect for a busy commercial firm in NY.  I like everything about my job but the deadlines.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2005, 12:18:05 AM »

Aircraft mechanic.  I hope someday I will make the jump up to garbage truck driver, shoe salesman, or septic tank pumper.
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2005, 12:44:04 AM »

I work in tech support for a software company out west.  I handle a small piece of the product and assist customers with technical/configuration issues and identification of bugs.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2005, 02:29:49 AM »

Quote from: "Bob"
Quote from: "Driver"
Librarian-in-training.  Seriously.

Damn.  Once you complete you Librarian training your sexiness will jump 10 fold.

Only if he wears glasses and puts his hair up.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2005, 02:30:04 AM »

Wow, lots of IT geeks in here.

I'm another one.  I work for a US branch of a big telecommunications company (which has "British" in the name) doing some Unix administration (15%)  and reporting/programming (85%).  Most of the time I do Perl and some Python, but I'm going to do a skunkworks project in an unapproved language (either Lisp or C++) this spring.  Gotta shake things up a little.

In my spare time I'm setting up a freelance writing business.  I'm planning to do commercial/business writing and make big bucks in the process.  Or something.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2005, 02:39:15 AM »

I work for a small private college as their "go to the office to show them how to start Outlook for the 10th time" person!

Seriously what is wrong with PhDs that they are incapable of understanding that all computers need electricity to work?  Is there something about the focus on one field that forces other stuff out of their brains?

On the plus side there are a lot of fairly attractive women to look at.  So I guess there are perks.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2005, 02:58:38 AM »

Decision Systems Developer for a certain Fortune 200 financial services company that's curious what you carry in your billfold.

I write software that determines if you are financially irresponsible enough that we can make money off you on late fees and interest, yet conscientious enough to keep paying. It's a fine line, but fun knowing you keep the economy rolling and help people ruin their own lives every day.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2005, 03:25:43 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I work for a small private college as their "go to the office to show them how to start Outlook for the 10th time" person!

Seriously what is wrong with PhDs that they are incapable of understanding that all computers need electricity to work?  Is there something about the focus on one field that forces other stuff out of their brains?

On the plus side there are a lot of fairly attractive women to look at.  So I guess there are perks.

Don't feel bad.  I work with Helicopter engineers and some of them readily admit they don't know what they're doing with desktop computers.  Drafting workstations is another thing altogether.

I just keep in mind this:  If they asked me to go upstairs and design a helicopter, I'd probably fail the first couple of time too.  I only wish that some of them don't care to learn anything from what I'm telling them.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2005, 03:31:14 AM »

I'm a database administrator for a company that does market research on consumer products.

I seem to be the only on in the company with any kind of grasp for Informix, and I'm learning some Red Brick Warehousing.

Apparently they want to put "Miracle Worker" in my job description as well.  Whenever there is a problem, they like to blame the database.  That's always the issue.  Couldn't be the network, couldn't be that it's doing what it is supposed to do...nooooooooooooooo....nothing like that ever happens.

Yes, I've had a bad week at work.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2005, 03:37:30 AM »

I run Sportamerica, a sports instructional video production company.  It's a small company (4 of us), and I'm pretty much in charge of everything.  Accounting, sales, order fulfillment, graphic design, video editing, etc.  You name it, I do it.  Been there for almost 9 years.

I also work part-time as a graphic designer for a laser etching company.  Mainly setting up jobs for laser engraving, but I also handle their print marketing pieces and some sales.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2005, 04:02:27 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

No kidding.  In college, I worked for the faculty and staff support department.  Those people are helpless.  We use to joke that the more diplomas on the wall, the less they'd know about the computers.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2005, 05:16:24 AM »

I work for a B2B publishing company.  I have a kick ass cool job title of "Digital Products Engineer".  :lol:  As long as the check cashes they could call me a janitor for all I care  :twisted:

Now what I actually do is really a jack of all trades.

I develop web sites and web applications using simple HTML to ASP.  Develop SQL databases to work with the web applications.

Installation packages for software.  Installation ad menu's with Flash.  Graphics for web when needed.

Help cover support on their days off.

And a ton of other crap I am too tired to remember.

Gearing up though to learn VB.NET this year and can't wait.  I have been wanting to learn application programing for a long time.

Pig
Leatherneck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2005, 05:16:51 AM »

biggrin

My father, my three brothers and I are Marines.  Our family is not as crazy as it sounds, in fact, we are all big time gamers.  In the rare event that we are all together, its a LAN party for 2 days straight while the wives do their thing.  

This is what my father says to visitors or other family members all the time:

"My boys may not be that smart, but they sure are physical!"

What a smartass  :lol:

Semper Fidelis
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2005, 06:09:29 AM »

Ok, there are like 35 people with computer industry related jobs, 1 Librarian.  say 2 government realted jobs.  and 1 Cook.  Me.  I think some of us might be in the wrong forum...smile
Pi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2005, 06:30:28 AM »

I'm a middle school math teacher, so I'm used to the level of discourse around here.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2005, 07:17:13 AM »

Quote from: "Driver"
Librarian-in-training.  Seriously.

Library work is awesome. I wish there was more of it available.

I work retail. Stock Clerk, Service Associate, Inventory Management, etc etc etc. I do whatever I need to do on a given day.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2005, 07:22:40 AM »

Quote from: "Pi"
I'm a middle school math teacher, so I'm used to the level of discourse around here.

Is that supposed to be some sort of insult?
Sharpshooter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2005, 11:30:06 AM »

I'm a Nursing Assistant at a local nursing home where I assist the elderly with their everyday needs.  Then one weekend a month,  I go off and play army and drive tanks.
Matrix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
Ahh
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2005, 06:00:42 PM »

I am recent College graduate, looking for full time job. Curently what pays my bills is teaching guys how to meet women, and go on dates with them. Some people will say " you get paid for that?". Yes i do, and i really like the job. I dont teach as many hours as i would like but pays my bills. Been doing it  for past 6 month.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2005, 06:29:32 PM »

I'm a system admin. Nothing exciting here.

mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2005, 07:15:23 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
Ok, there are like 35 people with computer industry related jobs, 1 Librarian.  say 2 government realted jobs.  and 1 Cook.  Me.  I think some of us might be in the wrong forum...smile

I'm in IT and the government.  I am teh win!  I'm also wearing a Hawaiian shirt today, you know, and blue jeans, because it's Friday, mmkay?

Now I must get back to keeping easily abusable informational files on everyone, everywhere...err I mean TPS (Total Public Scrutiny) reports. slywink
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2005, 07:28:18 PM »

I'm in IT, work for the government, show up to work almost everyday in jeans and a teachshirt, and have demotivational posters all over my office.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2005, 07:59:52 PM »

Quote from: "mori"
Aircraft mechanic.  I hope someday I will make the jump up to garbage truck driver, shoe salesman, or septic tank pumper.

You my friend are worth your weight in gold.  I'm terribly afraid to fly.  I've often wondered that airplane safety starts with the people who take care of the planes.

How well do you check these planes outs?  Ever have a bad day and just non-chalantly cruised through your day at work?  On second thought, don't answer that.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »

Quote from: "Stardrifter"
Quote from: "mori"

You my friend are worth your weight in gold.  I'm terribly afraid to fly.  I've often wondered that airplane safety starts with the people who take care of the planes.

How well do you check these planes outs?  Ever have a bad day and just non-chalantly cruised through your day at work?  On second thought, don't answer that.

I won't then :lol: .

Thanks for the compliment.  It is not often that we hear anything close to one.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2005, 10:59:45 PM »

Airport Operations Officer.  Work for the local airport authority doing runway/taxiway inspections, airfield lighting inspections, handling aircraft emergencies, wildlife "management" (read if it flies, shoot it) etc.  Or at least that's what I was hired to do.  In reality that has become a very small part of my job.  More and more I and my coworkers are being pulled off airlfield to do.... crowd control.  And doing that sucks more ass that I could have ever imagined.   It makes no sense to me why we are doing the airlines and/or airport police's job, but the powers that be make it so.  And it is stressing me out big time.

I came here after being broke as a first officer at regional airline for several years and getting married.  Being gone a lot was difficult on our new marraige.  But now, in hindsight, we realize what tremendous error it was to leave that career, and now we BOTh want me to go back to flying, and I cannot wait to do so, huge paycut and all.

PS.. airport police can be complete dicks, and, in fact, seem to thrive on doing so.  This applies not only to suspects as you would think, but any and all who work with them.  Whatever you do, don't do something stupid that will get them involved, you will regret it.

bobclay54
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2005, 03:34:37 AM »

I'm a dam inspector.  Civil Engineer.  I like dam inspecting.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2005, 04:15:03 AM »

Perpetual student.  Working on 4th degree. Currently getting an M.F.A. in creative writing from the University of Montana.  

This may come as a surprise, but I'm not very practical.  paranoid
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2005, 06:01:02 AM »

I'm an Investment Performance Verification consultant for Investment management firms across the country.  I just started about a month ago and love it so far.  I have been on two trips already, to Denver and Chicago and really enjoy the work.  It's really challenging, unlike my previous job.  The company is only 3 years old, so I really feel fortunate to be in something that could really be huge and is already growing at an insane rate.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2005, 07:54:17 AM »

airport police can be complete dicks, and, in fact, seem to thrive on doing so.

Yup, i've seen it.

I drive a school bus

It actually pays well, but you don't get a lot of hours in.
Since I don't feel that i'm living to help make someone else rich, this works out great  smile

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2005, 08:48:09 AM »

Hey Mark, I think most people here know what I do already, but becoming a cook (like, going to cooking school, pretending I'm a young'n and working in restaurants until I know enough to start my own, the whole deal) is one of several, but the most current, stupid ideas I've entertained for a second career after the almost inevitable game industry/programming burnout I will someday have to face (Game programmers over 40 are rare, though our team lead programmer is one.  I've got a few more years until I'm there.  Game programmers over 50 do not exist, statistically speaking.).  How's it working out for you?

On the other hand, everything I just said about game programmers also applies to mathematicians (even more so, really), and yet my dad did real work as a mathematician until he retired at 62.  So there's some genetic hope for me smile
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2005, 09:24:57 AM »

Funny time to ask as I just accepted a new job today.

I was / am working for two more weeks for IBM in their Business Consulting Group - doing CTI work for a large telecom client.

In two weeks I will make the switch to full time web development at a local Internet Marketing / Advertising firm.

I think the new job will be a lot more fun.
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2005, 10:39:26 PM »

Software developer - C#/ASP.Net.  We make defect tracking software for other software companies.

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2005, 10:52:05 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "Pi"

Is that supposed to be some sort of insult?

Actually, I think it's a compliment. :lol:

I work for a large government agency known for it's shooting rampages.
No, it's not the Marines. paranoid
I'm going to a CC at night so I can switch to the IT field.
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2005, 11:06:29 PM »

I'm a computer programmer at a non-IT-based, large corporation that's in the Dow Jones 30 .  I'm in a group that's made up primarily of mechanical engineers, and we write/maintain several in-house applications that engineers elsewhere in the company use to design and virtually test their machines/engines/etc.  Sort of a boring job, and dispiriting since everyone I work with is smarter than I, so I didn't think I'd stay there long...and yet I've now been there for almost 7 years.   :shock:
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2005, 10:23:37 PM »

I am a database administrator(DBA) for a large insurance company.

My current job seems secure but that last few years in IT with all the outsourcing and constant cuts has really sucked.  I keep thinking I should get into another field but I am currently making enough money that jumping fields and taking a huge pay hit is not something I can bring myself to do.

I tried to get a government job early last year during my 3 months of unemployment.  Those government jobs can be hard to come by even for a U.S. vetran.  It seems that the jobs that say you can only apply for them if you are a government employee or a U.S. vetran are really meant soley for current government employees.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2005, 10:36:08 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Apparently they want to put "Miracle Worker" in my job description as well.  Whenever there is a problem, they like to blame the database.  That's always the issue.  Couldn't be the network, couldn't be that it's doing what it is supposed to do...nooooooooooooooo....nothing like that ever happens.

LOL.  I can relate to that.  If a program touches a database the DBA is always the first person to get the call.  

"Oh golly was it my date routine and not the database?  Thanks for figuring it out for me." <== This may not be accurate as most of the times you don't get the thank you.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2005, 07:11:56 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"

I'm in IT and the government.  I am teh win!  I'm also wearing a Hawaiian shirt today, you know, and blue jeans, because it's Friday, mmkay?

Now I must get back to keeping easily abusable informational files on everyone, everywhere...err I mean TPS (Total Public Scrutiny) reports. slywink

You are teh suck. I wear Hawaiian shirts every day, and shorts almost every day. Plus I live in hawaii. I am a software engineer doing government contracts. I AM teh win!

biggrin
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2005, 07:29:24 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I'm in IT, work for the government, show up to work almost everyday in jeans and a teachshirt, and have demotivational posters all over my office.

I think that answers any question I've ever had about why government employees seem like they couldn't care less. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
octoman
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2005, 04:52:03 AM »

I'm a litigation attorney at a large corporate law firm in New York City.  

I'll second the comment about aircraft mechanics -- thanks for all the (most likely thankless) hard work.  Watching/reading about/learning about commercial aircraft is a bit of a hobby of mine -- I can't wait to see the new Airbus A380 in person.
bobclay54
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2005, 07:50:30 AM »

I think that answers any question I've ever had about why government employees seem like they couldn't care less.

Most of the people at the state agency I work for care deeply about what they do.  Many of us frequently put in over 40 hours/week.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: