http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 02:10:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Survey] What do you do for a living?  (Read 10042 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »

You see the subject?  Thats pretty much it.

I work at an Internet Service Provider doing Quality Assurance monitoring.  That means I listen to the calls of the technicians that you call into for help and make sure they are actually helping you and in a professional manner.

So what do you do?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 02:22:59 PM »

Network Administrator for a large travel agency.  I'm basically the only IT person for the corp office and 12 branches.  Otherwise known as the second circle of hell.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 02:40:40 PM »

I work for a television production company and do the following:

1) Network traffic coordinator: I work with the networks to make sure our spots are run at the exact times they are supposed to and that all networks have their spots and paperwork ahead of time. This is easy when doing national spots because you only send things to one place, but wen you add 23 regional spots each week on top of that, the phone bills tend to climb as I confirm everything. I also built and maintain spreadsheets with all contact and up to date information on pretty much everything network-related.

2) Duplication supervisor: our clients always want copies of their programs, hence I make sure they get what they want how they want. Need 10,000 VHS tapes in a blockbuster-style hard case with wrap-around print? Sure, let me figure out the costs and how to do that and I'll get back to you and the 10 others that want something even bigger.

3) IT Head. Basically, I'm their IT guru as well so I help out in the office as best I can and when I'm swamped with other things, I coordinate with our contracted IT shop.

And that's all on a slow day. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 03:03:19 PM »

Unemployed former US Army Airborne infantryman.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 03:07:22 PM »

Programmer at an automotive data marketing company.  We collect state registration and manufacturer sales information, process it, and sell it to oems, aftermarket companies, dealers, etc.  We also do recalls.

My work right now is on a web application for the big truck companies.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 03:10:50 PM »

I'm a Stormwater Program Manager for the U.S. Army at one of their bases in NJ.  I manage the stormwater program by implementing a rather extensive stormwater plan, conducting inspections and managing the permits.  The EPA's & consequently the NJDEPs new Phase II stormwater regulations are going to keep me quite busy this year as I need to implement many new programs.

A WARNING:  If I catch anybody dumping anything down a storm drain I'm going to recommend to Knightshade Dragon that your CG account be temporarily disabled to teach you a lesson!  Or, I will force you to swim in that very same water! :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 03:13:17 PM »

Programmer for a product catalog hosting company in the promotional products industry.  Nothing like making it easier for corporations to give people small useless trinkets to make you feel good about your job... or not. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 03:15:47 PM »

I make video games.  I am a producer for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and I may or may not work on some other game as well slywink
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 03:16:36 PM »

"Retired" Police Offficer (disabled, Mitochondrial Myopathy)... i have nothing better to do than play games and ask silly questions about them!

i also volunteer a little assisting and reading for the blind - i told you i was an effin' saint!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 03:28:48 PM »

I was Director of IS/QA for Acclaim Entertainment for 9 years, went on to an Internet Gaming Company got caught in the middle of 9.11 (I was standing under the trade center as the first plane hit) Grew very tired of the instability of software development.

Now, Im a Private Investigator with my own firm.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 03:58:11 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
Now, Im a Private Investigator with my own firm.

Priiiiivate Eyes. They're watching you. They see your every mooooove.

Sorry it just popped into my head smile

How does this work again?
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 04:05:17 PM »

I guess I should post something about myself since I derailed this thread a bit.

I currently work in the purchasing department for a state university. My official title is Purchasing Technician which includes desktop support for the department, order entry, web duty, corporate card administration, and computer training. Then of course my boss creates two seperate positions - a trainer & a corporate card admin - while I still wind up doing the work. So in other words I am not bitter at all.

I also work part-time at EB Games as a sales drone and I also work part-time on my own side business which I hope to get going so I can leave my current full time job.

How does this work again?
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »

I'm THE MAN in an indirect sense.  I write internal and external (public service) applications for a county government.  A Big 10 county. slywink

Quote from: "Stardrifter"
A WARNING:  If I catch anybody dumping anything down a storm drain I'm going to recommend to Knightshade Dragon that your CG account be temporarily disabled to teach you a lesson!  Or, I will force you to swim in that very same water! :wink:

<Hypothetically>What if I pull up a manhole cover because my street is flooding from rainfall (the storm drains aren't draining fast enough) and basements are next?  Where does that water go?

PS  Around here we have a group that goes around and paints "Don't dump here" with some jesus fish emblem next to it.  Would you sic the cops on them for us please?  Now would that count as vandalism or defacement of public property?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 04:31:17 PM »

I am the head of the graphic design department (which is me and a bunch of student employees) for the small independent company which publishes the newspaper and yearbook at Southern Methodist University. I coordinate the production of ad copy for local clients, and the proofing of ad copy for clients who send us in their ads.

I am also in charge of our various websites.

I also manage the 30-machine Macintosh portion of our company network. Which isn't that much to do. Macs basically maintain themselves, and there's no spyware, malware or viruses to worry about. The three Windows machines we have are in a constant state of duress,  but that's not my problem.

I also prepare and design promotional materials for our company, and the advertiser kits we send out to potential clients.

On the side, I occasionally do some freelance graphic and web design. Mostly for friends and Democratic political groups.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 04:36:36 PM »

I'm a helpdesk drone.  I'm the kind of person that KD gets to listen to every day. smile  I'm also a writer (for CG, Living Room Games, and myself), and venerable JOAT.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 04:39:06 PM »

I'm a budget analyst for a film/radio/tv broadcast/theatre/new media department at a California State University.

I'm also an on-call massage therapist for one of the world class resort spa's in Carmel. Hopefully this will become full time here soon since it's far less stressful, more meaningful and it doesn't hurt that it pays about 3 times more than what I make at the University.

Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 04:43:47 PM »

Almost-done law student (writing my final thesis, should be done somewhere in march-april) and I'm going to be a laywer after that. Currently working my way through law school by being a shop clerk at an electronics store.

HELLO!
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 04:55:11 PM »

College Professor / Grad School Slug.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 04:56:15 PM »

I am a cook, and certifited trainer for Unos Chicago Grille, in Michigan.  Exiciting stuff.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 05:04:20 PM »

Head PC tech at a computer repair stop.  I supervise the other techs and make sure they are not surfing the net too much.  I also tend to do the repairs that require a little more know how than just how to put in a HDD And install an OS.

AttA
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 05:04:42 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
I make video games.  I am a producer for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and I may or may not work on some other game as well slywink

I've said before, and I'll say again - you lucky bastard. Got any new screenshots? biggrin

I'm a certified pharmacy technician at my local Fry's Food and Drug grocery store. I dispense drugs to sick people, both mentally and physically. I also deal with the customers and their near-constant insurance problems.

On weekends when I work, I sit on my ass and play around on my laptop. Now, if I only had high speed internet access that didn't have a firewall protecting it, I could play WoW all day...

Oh, and incase you didn't know, I work on this wonderful site as well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 05:14:10 PM »

I'm an overnight CSM (Customer Service Manager) at the local Wal-Mart.  I miss the tech industry.  *sniffle*

Ah well, I also write for this site. smile
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 05:36:28 PM »

Librarian-in-training.  Seriously.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 05:40:36 PM »

I research company and security data. Make sure everything is up to date for clients. Just the data is provided, no analysis of it.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 05:52:15 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"
Quote from: "Stardrifter"

<Hypothetically>What if I pull up a manhole cover because my street is flooding from rainfall (the storm drains aren't draining fast enough) and basements are next?  Where does that water go?

If the storm drains are not draining fast enough it is more than likely that your neighbor's (not you of course :wink: )  are littering (too many solids/floatables blocking drains) or local/municipal construction projects are not managing their construction sites prorperly (causing too much silt build up inside the drains).  Ever see those silt fences up around construction sites?  They are there for a reason.  The manholes usually lead to sanitary sewers and go to a treatment plant prior to discharge to surface waters.  Rainwater entering storm drains does not get treated and discharges directly into your waterways.  Lot of people don't understand this.  - Hypotheically, of course. :wink:

XM Channel 76
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 05:54:16 PM »

Quote from: "Driver"

:lol:   This is funny that you needed to add "seriously."

XM Channel 76
RaptorRed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2005, 06:05:29 PM »

C.S.I.

If you have seen the show, then you already know what its all about.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2005, 06:06:53 PM »

I'm a professional counselor and I work at an inpatient adult psychiatric facility.  I find normal people to be quite boring.  That's why I also hang out here.   :lol:
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 06:07:06 PM »

Lead developer of interactive services in a subsidiary of a large publishing company. I create educational software for K-8 students.

LiveTAG: happydog
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 06:27:54 PM »

Damn.  Once you complete you Librarian training your sexiness will jump 10 fold.
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2005, 06:29:31 PM »

I've been with the same firm for the past 20 years as their senior litigation paralegal.  Our firm handles large corporate reorganizations and bankruptcies.

I'm involved in the litigation side.  Down side:  I have to travel way too much.  Up side:  Bankruptcy is way more fascinating that you'd ever believe and every day is an adventure.  I love trial work.

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2005, 07:06:54 PM »

I'm on disability for being crazy as a bedbug.Who'd of ever thunk it?  :shock:

And to think.....I'm armed too!

Ye Olde Farte
Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2005, 08:14:16 PM »

I'm a programmer, most often in a language called LabVIEW.  I work from home by contract which is both good (set my own hours) and bad (no benefits).  One nice thing about this job is the variety.  I've written software to operate spectrometers used by semiconductor manufucturers.  I'm currently working on applications for a national laboratory to analyze radioactive tracers used in groundwater tests.  And soon I'll start a project to provide control software for a furniture company's new manufacturing center.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2005, 08:39:27 PM »

I'm the development manager at a small computer firm that does consulting for hospitals, insurance companies, and healthcare-related software vendors. In the past we implemented solutions using third-party middleware components, but have since developed our own system in C++.
Frog's Honey
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2005, 08:43:25 PM »

I am a 2nd Year law student - Only one year and a half of a semester to go before I am an attorney.  WOO!  HOO!   biggrin

I also work at a Real Estate firm doing financial analysis to help WBS pay some of the bills.  

smile

I Love The Law!  smile
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »

i'm a 4th-year medical student, anxiously approaching graduation day in early May.  after that, i'll be a licensed MD starting my residency training...and finally getting paid again! Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2005, 09:34:17 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"

Damn.  Once you complete you Librarian training your sexiness will jump 10 fold.

Oh, my friend, don't I know it.  Welcome to the world of the female/male ratio 20-to-1.   :!:  biggrin  :!:

But really, it's gonna be an awesome gig.  Librarians are hot city.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2005, 09:41:22 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"

Oh, my friend, don't I know it.  Welcome to the world of the female/male ratio 20-to-1.   :!:  biggrin  :!:

But really, it's gonna be an awesome gig.  Librarians are hot city.

Only Giles from Buffy has this distinction and he not only had an English accent, but he could kick ass. Can you lay claim to either?  :twisted:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The Chauffeur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2005, 10:27:20 PM »

I work for DHL Worldwide Express.  I'm a UNIX geek doing DNS, DHCP, LDAP, Email gateways,  and a partridge in a pear tree.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2005, 11:21:21 PM »

I teach sixth grade social studies.

Currently I find myself teaching eleven-year-olds about the Solidarity movement in Poland.  Shoot me.

I think something a little darker, such as our next lesson on ethnic clensing and the implosion of Yugoslovia, will be much more interesting to them.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: