http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 01:06:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [study advice]Going for CCNA soon...  (Read 231 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:01:36 AM »

I just recently finished a return to school for a career change , completing a three year diploma as a compy technologist.  The course included all the coursework for CCNA, minus the actual certification testing.  

I had to take a job in my old career to keep finances going (and to keep $ from destroying my marriage) after school as jobs around here are currently few and far between.  Recently I've had an opportunity to interview with a network security company and basically, they said I would be first in line for it except that, due to my lack of experience I'd need to show a certification to prove my aptitude for networking.  I was/am a Ford mechanic, and am fairly green in the I.T. experience dept...

Anyway, here I am now.  Its been 7 months since I've looked at my Cisco coursework, and my retention has not been...complete.  I need to get a study plan together, and basically relearn/remember/practice eveerything I need to complete my certification.

I have:
Most of the CCNA 4.0 lab books/DVD's - but no texts
Packet Tracer

For those of you who have completed their CCNA, I'm looking for suggestions on study materials/methods.  I've been looking at getting one of those "Prepare for your CCNA exam" books, but wonder how effective they are.
Packet tracer is the only thing that I currently have access to to simulate a network - no physical environment.  Would love any suggestions you may have Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:34:09 AM by Ragnarok » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »

I'm a software guy, but if you're looking for books and the like, try NerdBooks if your local library doesn't have what you need.  Any time I check them against Amazon, they're cheaper.  They've got a load of CCNA resources available.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:28:55 AM »

I really would recommend the Boson series. It's very well done.

Good Luck!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on July 28, 2011, 06:28:55 AM

I really would recommend the Boson series. It's very well done.

Good Luck!

I came in here to recommend this, but Brian beat me to it.  It helped me get mine, it should help you get yours.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 03:48:25 AM »

Here are the key things you should have down. Not just for the cert, but for the ability to run a small network.

IPv4 Subnetting - Use the magic box, use binary acumen, use whatever you can to be able to translate something like 192.168.100.24/29 means a network that is 8 IPs wide, with 6 usable (realistically 5, if you use one on a router for a gateway).

Switching - Know the difference between spanning tree and rapid spanning tree, and how it eliminates loops in the network. There is a decision process for spanning tree that you must know.

Routing - Static routes, RIP (v1 and v2), OSPF, and EIGRP. Know classless vs classful addressing as well. A good basic level of knowledge of the routing decision process, and how it prevents loops (differs depending upon routing protocol).

Basic IOS navigation and security - What is the difference between password and secret? How do you set a disclaimer upon login? How do you setup a username and password?

Access Lists - Know how they work, and how to implement them. Standard access lists vs extended access lists. Wildcard subnet masks are a must.

Basic NAT - This is 3 commands that will ruin your day. I memorized them to pass my CCNA because it was a difficult concept.

Oh, and know the "are you paying attention" facts: What is the boot register for ROMMON, Password Reset, Normal Operation? What does show version tell me?

If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: