http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:43:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [RANT] work related. Pro Union biased resources need not read/reply  (Read 784 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »

Background - I am the sole member of our 'Social Committee' here in the IT department. We are in the pharmaceutical distribution industry and have warehouses all over Canada. The warehouse attached to this IT facility has decided to unionize last November and are still in negotiations - fine with me and no skin off my balls.

There are 5 BBQs on this site. I sent an email to the HR manager and Distribution Ctr Manager last Friday to see about securing 1-2 for an IT team building BBQ for all 15 of us.

The Dist Mgr responds that he has an issue with the event as it would appear to be IT only and that 'optics' aren't exactly looking good in terms on how the ADULTS in the warehouse would feel about a BBQ that does not involve them.

WTF! icon_evil finger

Am I or any of my cohorts here upset in the least with a union sponsored BBQ notice down in the communal coffee area that will not involve us? No. We could care less.

Thanks to all unions out there for turning an everyday simple exercise into a rolling ball of shit.
Here's a handy hint - stay in school past grade 6 and get an education thereby empowering you to EARN your place in working society rather than demand your place.

Thanks,
Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:38:02 PM »

Quote from: Roman on August 16, 2010, 03:28:12 PM

We could care less.

Here's a handy hint - stay in school past grade 6 and get an education

Do you think those uneducated union workers know the difference between "could" and "couldn't" care less?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ico1.htm

There’s a close link between the stress pattern of I could care less  and the kind that appears in certain sarcastic or self-deprecatory phrases that are associated with the Yiddish heritage and (especially) New York Jewish speech. Perhaps the best known is "I should be so lucky!", in which the real sense is often “I have no hope of being so lucky”, a closely similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning. There’s no evidence to suggest that I could care less came directly from Yiddish, but the similarity is suggestive. There are other American expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of apparent sense, such as "Tell me about it!", which usually means “Don’t tell me about it, because I know all about it already”. These may come from similar sources.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »

Don't take the bait Roman.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 16, 2010, 03:45:31 PM

Don't take the bait Roman.

Not gonna happen.  icon_wink And yes I do understand the irony - I just needed to vent.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:00:40 PM by Roman » Logged

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »

I'm not opposed to unions, though I'm not convinced they have value in every situation.  For example, my former empoyer was unionized and I was in management.  Some of the restrictions on what we could do were not only illogical, they were competitively damaging.  My roommate is part of the union and generally defends it, but when earlier this year the company basically told the union they could either let the company cut people's hours below negotiated minimums or they could watch people get let go, the union agreed to the hours decrease.  So I don't know what they've gained since the non-union place in the same business where I currently work pays almost the same salary and offers a bonus on top of that.

Reading the OPs rant points out the problems that unions can cause.  Though whether that's the unions fault or managements fault is hard to say in this case.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »

Thanks to all unions out there for turning an everyday simple exercise into a rolling ball of shit.
Here's a handy hint - stay in school past grade 6 and get an education thereby empowering you to EARN your place in working society rather than demand your place.

Thanks,
Roman

Wow what a narrow minded, misanthropic, generalized and predjudicial statement.  Please feel free to say that to the face of the next union Fireman or union EMS you see saving a life.   

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:30:55 PM »

Thanks,
Roman

Way to overfucking generalize dude.

But I'm in a union so you don't care about my pro-union biased fucking opinion.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »

Tone it down guys.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on August 16, 2010, 07:30:55 PM

Thanks,
Roman

Fuckity fuck the fuck fuck!

FUCK!

swearing is fun
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:33 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on August 16, 2010, 08:12:19 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on August 16, 2010, 07:30:55 PM

Thanks,
Roman

Fuckity fuck the fuck fuck!

FUCK!

swearing is fun

It is.

Because I'm union, I'm only smart enough to swear.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:17:46 PM by SkyLander » Logged

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »

You guys are hilarious.

Anyway, love the union workers at my Hospital especially the Food Services folks.. talk about service with a smile  icon_rolleyes

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 08:33:16 PM »

Get over it Roman.  The Union won the war.

Take your confederate money and slaver leanings and beat it!
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 08:39:12 PM »

okay okay I will fall on my sword here and admit that I grossly over generalized a large segment of workers with my grade 6 education analogy. I am sorry. However in hindsight it does apply to this facility  nod

Again - it was very un-Canuckistanian of me to complain like this. It was however very Canuckistanian to apologize.

Rant still stands though - get over your feelings and let us enjoy the BBQ. It is not meant as a snub - merely a team building exercise.

Roman

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 16, 2010, 08:33:16 PM

icon_lol icon_lol Never! The Great White North shall rise again!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »

Quote from: Roman on August 16, 2010, 08:40:12 PM

yes!  Great White will be on fire again!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 02:49:05 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 08:51:56 PM

Quote from: Roman on August 16, 2010, 08:40:12 PM

yes!  Great White will be on fire again!

Ouch. Offside  eek

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 05:48:40 AM »

Stop screwing around with BBQs and get back to work. Damned slackers.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 06:20:17 AM »

Quote from: Roman on July 19, 2010, 02:21:57 PM

Fucking great! I work in the pharmaceutical distribution business in IT. We have a warehouse attached - the coffee machine is downstairs in the communal kitchen. There are 10 of us in IT - none of us would have stolen it. Sure I am accusing 'them' but come on! Who else would it be?

Unbelievable!  Humans suck huge donkey dick sometimes.

I'll address your OP after a quick rant, so you may want to just skip to the bottom.   nod

Roman,

Your condescending attitude toward people who work in warehouses or distribution centers is rather unbecoming. In your initial post and your topic concerning theft, you made it seem like the only people who work in such places are thieves or the uneducated. I'm a manager at a 900,000 sq ft warehouse with 450 associates. The associate (non-managerial) education level has this landscape:

27% High school, no college
38% High school, some college
24% 4 year degree
11% Completed Masters or higher

It might surprise you to learn that many people who work in a warehouse are actually highly educated, and are simply working there because:

A) They are continuing their education and the schedule works well
B) They lost their well paying job and many warehouses pay better than many other entry-level white collar professions
C) Most warehouses now have a 3-12 schedule, so some people choose it so they may be with their children more often

The people that you seem to sneer at as "them" probably share most of your same desires and values. Your just as likely to find a thief or incompetent a-hole in a warehouse as you are to find one working on Wall Street or in Silicon Valley.  Pay scale or profession have nothing to do with a person's work ethic, morality or worth.

Perhaps it is not your intention to come across in such a manner, but you certainly wear it on your sleeve.  But I don't know you personally, so maybe they were just poorly chosen words typed while you were really pissed off.

-----------------------

In regards to your OP, it would seem that your facility has a healthy share of poor managers. I say this for two reasons. First, a fairly treated workforce will rarely form a union. Second, the mere fact that management is already frightened about what the adults in the warehouse think about an IT BBQ clearly shows that they lack true leadership or backbone. I'm certain that the entire warehouse isn't invited to a cupcake party in the front offices if someone has a baby. You have a right to be irritated. Departments do not always share the same rewards, responsibilities or repercussions. The managers should simply tell these warehouse associates that each department gets 1 BBQ. Fair. End of discussion.

I've worked for union and non-union organizations. Your management needs to grow a set of balls, or this new union will feed them their balls.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:38:13 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on August 16, 2010, 03:38:02 PM

We could care less.

Here's a handy hint - stay in school past grade 6 and get an education

Do you think those uneducated union workers know the difference between "could" and "couldn't" care less?

Just have to say, I love this pic smile.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »

What am I missing here?  The Distribution Manager seems to be the one with the problem with it.  In my experience, few managers are unionized.  So where does the union factor in?  Seems that this is just a way for the (likely non-unionized) Distribution Manager being a dick to IT.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 17, 2010, 12:26:17 PM

What am I missing here?  The Distribution Manager seems to be the one with the problem with it.  In my experience, few managers are unionized.  So where does the union factor in?  Seems that this is just a way for the (likely non-unionized) Distribution Manager being a dick to IT.

I have to agree that (based on the anecdote) the anger seems somewhat misplaced. 

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: