http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 02:20:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Phone Upgrade] Paralyzed by indecision  (Read 368 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »

Which is difficult for me to admit.  I’m due for a  phone upgrade next week and I’ve already decided to leave iPhone for an Android phone.  I’ve been with iPhone from the 2nd gen and with not much change in the user interface (rumored to be changing in iPhone 6) I just want a new experience.  I’ve narrowed my selection down HTC One and the Galaxy S4.  I’ve being doing my research and the only issue I have with the HTC One is that it is running Jellybean 4.1.2 while the S4 is running the current 4.2.2 and everything I have read is that HTC is extremely slow software upgrades.  I really like the look of the HTC One over the S4, but  with putting the phone in a case this is a wash anyway

So does anyone have the S4 or the HTC One and can offer opinion on them?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:01 PM »

I'd keep in mind the HTC One is brand new, and you probably won't find many informed opinions on it yet.

Ars Technica did a pretty in depth hands-on with it:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/htc-one-review-its-now-or-never-again/
I'm inclined to say that the Galaxy S 4 is still the Android phone to beat, if only because HTC's Sense 5 is too grating for my normal TouchWiz ways. Although Samsung's TouchWiz UI has its own follies, it feels like it's still an Android experience, though it's not Google's. The One's UI doesn't feel so much like Android, although I instinctively know how to swipe around to get to what I need within Sense 5.

The HTC One also attracted more attention than the Galaxy S 4 did when I used it in the real world. It was the aluminum chassis that caught onlookers' eyes at first, and the general consensus was that the HTC One felt better in the hand. This is really a matter of personal preference, and while I don't like that HTC has made some changes to Android that I'm not too keen on—the lack of a Menu button and the BlinkFeed takeover, for instance—it's no different from what any other OEM is doing with its Android handsets that aren't a part of the Nexus program.

There's also a bit to be said about the construction of the HTC One. As Brian Klug at Anandtech pointed out in his review of the device, HTC has created a design story for the One that gives it some Apple appeal. Rather than try its hand at branding through a flagship name—like Samsung has done with its Galaxy line of phones—HTC will instead attempt to gun for the design savvy with its “zero-gap” construction. It must be working, because even at-a-glancers seem to like what they see in the One's aluminum construction and design.
Now, not that I know crap about this (I'm a happy iPhone user since last year), but I think it's more do you want a fancy pants aluminum case with front firing amplified speakers, or not. smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »

Or you could get a Nexus 4 and not have to worry about weird OEM interfaces and waiting for upgrades.  I know it's terribly old by now, though, having been released 5 months ago.  slywink

Personally, I need a new phone as well after cracking my screen a few weeks ago, but I'm holding out waiting for something that really grabs me.  I've used a Nexus S for the last few years and really liked it, but with an Android tablet as well I'm considering something different for a change, like maybe even a Windows 8 phone.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:15 PM »

What I've noticed is that the more popular the phone is the more (and more timely) updates it will get.  I'm pretty sure the Galaxy S4 will prove more popular than the One.  I'm actually looking at the same phones.  Right now, I'm giving a slight edge to the S4.  It's mostly because I liking being able to expand storage with a memory card.  I also like the user replaceable battery.  It's hard to complain about a bigger screen in the same size form factor.  Do I need a thermostat, humidistat, and barometer in my phone?  Probably not.  I don't mind the plastic build since it will most likely be in a case.  I've resigned myself to the fact that no phone, no matter how cool, will make me look cool.

If you prefer the sturdier build and cooler look, I'm not going to argue with you.  They're both top end phones.

Here are the Verge reviews:

HTC One

Galaxy S4

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:47:30 AM »

Wife and got HTC One's last week.  So far we love them.

I was just like you in deciding between the S4 and the One.

My best advice is that I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Go to best buy or some where that you can test drive both together.

Ours came down to the One being $50 cheaper (sprint) for each phone.  They were so close and I just could not see paying an extra $100 for the S4.

Things we do like is the instant shutter on the camera, the sound is great and now I can hear my phone ring while in my pocket. 

So for us they have been perfect.  The S4 was very slick too.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »

I actually played with the S4 and the One in the AT&T store last week  and I like the way the One felt in my hand, so I think that what I am getting. 

Probably picking it up this evening

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 08, 2013, 10:27:14 PM

Or you could get a Nexus 4 and not have to worry about weird OEM interfaces and waiting for upgrades.  I know it's terribly old by now, though, having been released 5 months ago.  slywink

Personally, I need a new phone as well after cracking my screen a few weeks ago, but I'm holding out waiting for something that really grabs me.  I've used a Nexus S for the last few years and really liked it, but with an Android tablet as well I'm considering something different for a change, like maybe even a Windows 8 phone.

ninja

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »

I have a S3, got it last year after having had an iPhone for quite some time. While I like the S3, I'm leaning ~90% to going back to an iPhone once the 5S or whatever they call the next one.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »

I went with a Motorola Razr M a few weeks ago after putting off an upgrade for a year.  The problem was that Verizon no longer offers my unlimited data plan and buying a new phone meant switching plans or paying full price for the phone.  When the phone would no longer work with a USB charger, I had to finally give in.  The M was free though through Amazon as part of my 2 year upgrade, so that was what pushed me over the edge.  Well, that and the battery life.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »

picked up the HTC One in black yesterday and I like the look of the phone, but after being with iOS for so long getting used to the interface and features was a bit overwhelming.  Trying to get things to work was a bit of a headache, but I was able to get things sorted out in good order. 

Anyway, liking what I seen so far

NiM$
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: