http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (p) Why everyone should NOT vote....  (Read 1545 times)
Nameless
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2004, 08:04:17 PM »

(this is meant as a counterpoint to the "why everyone should vote today" thread.  It's a devil's advocate opinion.)

In our system the way it currently is, the people that care vote.  By that, I mean that if you feel particularly strongly about an issue or cantidate, you go out and vote for them.  If you don't have a strong feeling either way, you probably don't go out and vote.  The question I ask is:  what is wrong with that?  As it is, more informed people probably have stronger opinions.  They're probably more likely to vote.  

Doesn't making people feel guilty if they don't vote just push a bunch of apathetic people into voting booths who have no idea who or what to vote for?  Wouldn't you rather just let "voting natural selection" take place and get votes from the people that feel strongly enough to vote?

I understand the legacy of what it took to get you the vote.  And I don't mean to undermine or demean that.  But if people just don't care, is dragging them kicking and screaming to the polls doing anyone any good?  How?

"I don't like signatures"  -  me
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 11:16:16 PM »

Nobody drags anybody kicking and screaming to the polls. If you don't want to vote you're not going to, unless maybe you still live with overbearing parents. Even then nothing is stopping you from not marking your ballot at all.

People SHOULD feel guilty for not voting.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 11:19:39 PM »

Remember,you're electing your favorite electorial collage canidates.So get out and vote!

Ye Olde Farte
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 11:23:20 PM »

If you dont like the presidential candidates at least vote for your local elections.  They mean more to your day to day life anyhow.  Rember you can always write in a candidate!  Hell vote for yourelf!  Its your right.

morlac00 on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 02:03:19 AM »

I personally won't be participating in any presidential election until the Electoral College is abolished.

Face it, your presidential vote is UTTERLY MEANINGLESS as long as the president is decided by anything other than popular majority.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 02:56:34 AM »

if it was based on popular majority, i dont think states like north dakota or wyoming would even know who was running because there would be no campaign dollars spent there.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 03:00:51 AM »

Quote from: "jessie"
if it was based on popular majority, i dont think states like north dakota or wyoming would even know who was running because there would be no campaign dollars spent there.

Yep, the candidates would LIVE in LA, NYC, Chicago, Miami, etc, and ignore the 'lesser' cities and states. Also, it would lead to national campaigning, which could basically be bought.

The EC has been through many renditions and refinements, and to just wish to throw it out, is to ignore the problems that it was set in place to prevent.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 04:34:21 AM »

I think it is too easy to vote.

I dont think you should be able to vote unless you pay taxes.  I also dont think you should be able to vote if you cant handle a scantron type ballot that asks a few control questions like who are the current senators for your state.

olaf
draegun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 04:26:06 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
I think it is too easy to vote.

I dont think you should be able to vote unless you pay taxes.  I also dont think you should be able to vote if you cant handle a scantron type ballot that asks a few control questions like who are the current senators for your state.

olaf

You elitist  :wink:

You're trying to divide the country with your talk of voter qualifications!!

Is this a bad thing??

They'd probably just nominate their local paster to lead them to the promised land.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 01:41:01 AM »

all I know is if you didn't like the turnout of the election and you didn't vote, you have no right to complain.  I wish we had tally's who did and didn't vote, because in the next few weeks/months, we're gonna be hearing a lot of complaints and what not.  It would be nice to point it out Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: