http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:12:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [P] Texans -- Please Vote Today!  (Read 1491 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2005, 02:09:52 PM »

GamingTexans,

Today is election day in the Lone Star State, and there is a ballot measure up for a vote that MUST be defeated. Proposition 2 would write discriminatory, anti-gay language into the Texas Constitution that would bar the state from recognizing any "incidents" of marriage between same-sex couples, including civil unions from out of state, and perhaps even wills, medicals powers of attorney and joint adoption arrangements.

Under Proposition 2, state agencies, municipal and county governments, Texas universities and schools and public hospitals and fire departments and police forces would be unable to offer partner benefits, meaning they won't be able to compete on a level playing field when seeking to hire many qualified applicants for these sorts of positions.

Turnout for off year elections is VERY low -- perhaps as high as 16% statewide. So far, turnout has been huge in Austin, the Melrose region of Houston and Cedar Springs in Dallas, and very low in most of the rural, conservative counties -- there truly IS a chance to defeat proposition 2, and your vote really WILL count.

Please, go to the polls, and vote AGAINST Proposition 2. Polls are open until 7:00 pm tonight.

Don't know where to vote? Email me at [email protected], and I probably can look it up and tell you. Thank you!

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »

While you're at it, also vote against Prop 1, which sets aside funds to move railroad lines out of urban areas and into rural areas.

The problems with this one outweigh the benefits.  The benefit, in a nutshell, is to increase traffic flow in urban areas and also increase business in rural areas.  Sounds good?  Well, the problem is that you've already got a heavy industrial sector in place in the major cities that have built up around the railroad lines.  They're there for a reason.  The railroads go, so do the businesses there.  

It's not really a winning situation.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 02:33:42 PM »

FH and I are going after work tonight. The good thing about it is living right next to an elementary school that's being used as a voting place. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 02:44:42 PM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"
GaymingTexans,

Fixed! slywink
Hazer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 04:17:41 PM »

I know the county I live in has had a HUGE turnout in early voting over this.

That and the fact that the church groups up here are attempting to repeal the sale of alcohol in the city limits. :evil:

Ragnarok Online taught me everything I needed to know about conflict resolution:  "There are no problems that can't be solved by proper application of Daggers to Faces."
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 04:23:32 PM »

Quote from: "Hazer"

That and the fact that the church groups up here are attempting to repeal the sale of alcohol in the city limits. :evil:

:x Why the hate of booze oh church.   :cry:
Hazer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 04:30:34 PM »

Quote from: "Austin"

The part that "amuses" me:

People Against Booze: "It's increasing crime!"

Jailers at the County Jail (where I've spent time fixing their computers): "Alcohol related arrests have gone down slightly since we brough it in town."

People Against Booze: "Only one new business has come in since we allowed alcohol!"

County Officials: "That 'one' store is owned by a family who have opened 4 other non-booze related stores and have openly stated that if they can't keep the one store open, all 5 will be closed. On top of that there's the additional Tax revenue that we've already projected into the planning for the next 2 years budget and the fact that there are 3 more local stores waiting for this vote to complete before they open up their Booze Store addon.... One of them will have a drive-through."

I wish it were legal to perform lobotomies on the street. So many people need them.

Ragnarok Online taught me everything I needed to know about conflict resolution:  "There are no problems that can't be solved by proper application of Daggers to Faces."
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 04:37:45 PM »

Quote from: "Austin"

The part that "amuses" me:

People Against Booze: "It's increasing crime!"

Jailers at the County Jail (where I've spent time fixing their computers): "Alcohol related arrests have gone down slightly since we brough it in town."

People Against Booze: "Only one new business has come in since we allowed alcohol!"

County Officials: "That 'one' store is owned by a family who have opened 4 other non-booze related stores and have openly stated that if they can't keep the one store open, all 5 will be closed. On top of that there's the additional Tax revenue that we've already projected into the planning for the next 2 years budget and the fact that there are 3 more local stores waiting for this vote to complete before they open up their Booze Store addon.... One of them will have a drive-through."

I wish it were legal to perform lobotomies on the street. So many people need them.

They need Jesus to come and turn all the wine back into water.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 11:44:31 PM »

I did my part.  And just got a phone call sayin' the wife did hers as well.  She's had the ability to vote for more than a decade and this is the first time she's felt strongly enough about an issue to exercise that right.  Not sure why, but I find that highly entertaining.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Hazer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 01:05:56 AM »

[Rant]

Initializing Rant Engine 1.1....

Voting is not a privilege, it's a responsibility.

Voting when you do not understand the issue at hand is irresponsible. Voting blindly ("I'm voting for the whole Party") is irresponsible. Voting because people tell you to vote is irresponsible.

Understand what you're making a choice about. Make a decision based on something more than random political ads. Be active in the management of your government. That's why we have the responsibility of voting.

[/Rant]

On another note: Good that your wife did get out and vote, Crayola. smile Does she different now that she's taken an active part in the management of her state?

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 02:26:19 AM »

[Rant]Voting when you do not understand the issue at hand is irresponsible. Voting blindly ("I'm voting for the whole Party") is irresponsible. Voting because people tell you to vote is irresponsible.

Then you'll be happy to know that we abstained from voting on all the other issues, which we knew nothing about.  biggrin

Understand what you're making a choice about. Make a decision based on something more than random political ads. Be active in the management of your government. That's why we have the responsibility of voting.

As my wife puts it regarding candidate votes since she was 18, "I've felt like we were screwed either way."  And I can't say that I blame her.

Does she different now that she's taken an active part in the management of her state?

I asked her and she said, "Not really."  She's glad she did it, though.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Hazer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 02:55:58 AM »

If she's glad she did it, then she's at least comfortable with it. She's made her decision on the issues she cast a vote on and the fact that she has no doubts in her mind shows that she's made her decision well. The reasons she made it, the logic behind her decision, the will to make that decision known... if those 3 weren't rock solid she'd have doubts and questions.

In most candidate based elections, you are getting screwed both ways. It's a matter of picking the person you think has lied the least in order to get your vote. frown Sad statement but it's largely the truth. I can't really think of a candidate that's said something during campaign and actually followed through with everything they said. I know it's not possible to do 100% of the time because there are other people at work in the gov't that of course have differing opinions... But there's a difference in trying everything you can to accomplish your promises and becoming another sock puppet for someone who's lining your pocket to further their agenda.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 03:49:57 AM »

I think the machine that the world governments have become kind of renders that whole 'voting is a responsibility' thing moot.  

Voting would be a responsibility IF it were possible for voters to fundementally change things. I think we can all agree that when we wake up in the morning after an election, we wake up knowing that whatever passed/whoever was elected- life as we know it goes on.

That said, I do vote.  Generally I vote for things/people I want to support.  If nothing appeals to me on that level, I vote for things/people I think will  most upset 'the system' if they were to actually win.

For instance, here in California, there's no way in hell I'd pass up a chance to vote against a limitation on abortion, just as there's no way in hell I'd pass up a chance to vote against something Arnie wants.  I won't research anything, if Arnie is for it that's all I need to know.

I was surprised to read postings this morning by people who thought there was even a sliver of a chance the anti-gay stuff would lose in Texas.  From what I have read/heard, that was all but a guaranteed slam dunk.  If a 'liberal' state like California can't get together on an issue like that, how would Texas be expected to do it?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 04:29:45 AM »

Thank you to everyone who went out and voted the right way on this one. I know voting can be a pain in the ass, and I really appreciate you taking the time to do it -- particularly Crayola and Whiteboy and their respective missuses.

75% in favor. That's the worst result on this issue, ever.

I think I'm going to leave.

Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 05:30:49 AM »

BTW, its the "Montrose" section of Houston I think you were referring to.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 08:55:35 AM »

Thank you to everyone who went out and voted the right way on this one. I know voting can be a pain in the ass, and I really appreciate you taking the time to do it -- particularly Crayola and Whiteboy and their respective missuses.

Yeah this was pretty pathetic. A sad sad state of affairs in both Texas and the entire country. Just for shame.
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 02:16:01 PM »

I think when Missouri did it, it was 74%.  At the time I figured it would pass but hitting 74% was downright depressing.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »

if it makes you guys feel any better, Kwame, the mayor of detroit, won again.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 07:43:07 PM »

And if it cheers anyone else up, Arnie got smacked down here in California pretty damn good, everything he wanted went down in flames.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: