http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 07:34:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [p] Ashcroft Resigns  (Read 1393 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2004, 12:51:17 AM »

From CNN:

(CNN) -- Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Don Evans have resigned, the White House said Tuesday evening.

Ashcroft's resignation will be effective upon confirmation of his successor, a Justice Department official said.

The White House released their resignation letters Tuesday evening. Ashcroft's was hand-written and dated November 2, the day Bush was re-elected; Evans' was dated Tuesday.

Full story...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 01:58:10 AM »

Thank god. Ashcroft was an absolute traveshemockery as attorney general. Uncover the statue now, please.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 02:08:31 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Thank god. Ashcroft was an absolute traveshemockery as attorney general. Uncover the statue now, please.

You are assuming Bush doesn't have someone in the wings that would make Ashcroft look like a 16 year old hound dog.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 02:17:13 AM »

I am actually quite positive he doesn't. In fact, Giuliani is a potential nominee, and is much more moderate.

The primary driving force behind appointing Ashcroft to that post was as a means of appeasement to the conservative, christian wing of the party. The gesture having now lasted for 4 years, rumor has it the bigwigs that actually ran the show wanted a more moderate present that Dems and liberal Repubs would not despise.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 02:23:17 AM »

I have to say my respect for this administration will increase dramatically if they do appoint someone moderate to this position. It'll increase even more if Bush actually does reach out to the 48% of the population who hate his guts biggrin
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 07:19:46 PM »

It looks to be Gonzales is the favorite to replace Ashcroft.

So yeah it does get worse.

Giuliani is unlikely as he's a potential presidential figure.  There are rumors abound that Cheney will retire at one point and Giuliani will take this place, giving a great potential 2008 "heir" so to speak. Of course we're not considering that Giuliani is both pro-choice and pro-gay.

Just Hiro will do.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 09:07:57 PM »

It would have to be Gonzales wouldn't it.  Could Bush make one important choice without fucking it up?  There has to be some other Texas friends he can pay off better suited than Gonzales.  Well I enjoyed my civil liberties while I had them...but I'm not counting on keeping them over the next 4 years.
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 10:03:02 PM »

What do people know about Gonzalez?  I have to admit that I'm pretty unfamiliar with him.

Apparently he's been spoken of as a possible Supreme Court nominee, so for Bush this also has the perk of setting him up for the nomination (and to see if anything terrible will come out during this nomination process).
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 05:41:09 PM »

Quote from: "El Guapo"
What do people know about Gonzalez?  I have to admit that I'm pretty unfamiliar with him.

Apparently he's been spoken of as a possible Supreme Court nominee, so for Bush this also has the perk of setting him up for the nomination (and to see if anything terrible will come out during this nomination process).

His most famous work to date has been coming up with the legal justificaiton of holding all the detainees in Cuba with no hope of legal counsel and working to justify our ignoring of the Geneva convention when "interrogating" captives.

His best line was when he refered to the Geneva convention as "quaint".

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: