http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 03:40:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (P) Ashcroft resignation...  (Read 2135 times)
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2004, 05:28:51 AM »

...is iminent according to Drudge.
Which, if true, might go a long way towards "uniting" the country...

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 05:44:08 AM »

Will they uncover the damn statue already?

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 06:22:06 AM »

The Country will never be united as long as the Religious right is so fanatical (and in control sadly). Well, the only way would be if they killed everyone who wouldn't be converted to their religion...
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 12:34:56 PM »

That would be a good step. A tiny step. Only if they don't get someone as goofy or goofier

mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 01:51:21 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Will they uncover the damn statue already?

But naked boobies are bad!  The bible says so!
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 02:09:15 PM »

There's nothing on Drudge about it now.
draegun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 02:16:32 PM »

How about Ashcroft for Pres in 2008?!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 02:21:04 PM »

Quote from: "Falator"
The Country will never be united as long as the Religious right is so fanatical..

Hmmm... Funny how tolerance - the mantra for those on the left -  seems to be a one way street.  The anti-religious demand it from Christians, but yet are only "tolerant" themselves towards ideas they agree with.  I've seen none so fanatical as those who blame the "religious right" for every ill.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 03:00:27 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
The Country will never be united as long as the Religious right is so fanatical..

Hmmm... Funny how tolerance - the mantra for those on the left -  seems to be a one way street.  The anti-religious demand it from Christians, but yet are only "tolerant" themselves towards ideas they agree with.  I've seen none so fanatical as those who blame the "religious right" for every ill.

Um, I fully agree with the right of fantatical x'ers (where X is your chosen religion/bias/cult) to home-school their kids, be insular about their beliefs, be biased against one group of people, whatever.  My tolerance hits its limit when they try to choose for me.  There's a difference between allowing people to do what they want in private, and telling them what they can or can't do in the public realm.

Of course, I describe myself as moderate... maybe I'm far more extremist than I thought?

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 03:00:34 PM »

I don't believe in god. The one thing that pisses me off the most in life is when someone tries to force their beliefs on me. The religious right constantly does this, THUS, the religious right constantly pisses me off.

I am not anti religious. I just don't want you forcing your beliefs on me. This where democrats differ from republicans (well, the religious right mostly).

oh and you are living on another planet if you think this country is anti-religious. We will probably have a black women as president before we have an openly non-religious president.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 03:15:17 PM »

I don't believe in god. The one thing that pisses me off the most in life is when someone tries to force their beliefs on me. The religious right constantly does this, THUS, the religious right constantly pisses me off.

I am not anti religious. I just don't want you forcing your beliefs on me. This where democrats differ from republicans (well, the religious right mostly).

oh and you are living on another planet if you think this country is anti-religious. We will probably have a black women as president before we have an openly non-religious president.

I have seen more liberals trying to force their beliefs on me more than the "religious right" try to force their beliefs on anyone.  I haven't seen anyone here try to force their views on you.  Usually I'm told that people like me need to have a thicker skin, but I often wonder if it needs to be the other way around.

I also get a kick out of these kinds of statements, because whenever a judge is trying to be nominated by a conservative, they look at the judge's beliefs, and if they don't match the liberal agenda, then they get stonewalled.  (Note the illegal fillibuster put on by the Democrats, which has never happened before.)

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 03:21:47 PM »

For the record, rumors on the hill indicate these folks will not be in the next administration:
Colon Powell (No big surprise)
Condoleeza Rice
John Ashcroft
Tom Ridge
Donald Rumsfeld (To be replaced by Paul Wolfowitz frown )

Mostly just rumors so far, but it's a start.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 03:27:29 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I have seen more liberals trying to force their beliefs on me more than the "religious right" try to force their beliefs on anyone.

Got any examples?  Because I hate to break it to you but banning gay marriage is one of the biggest examples of a group forcing it's beliefs on the populace to come around in quite a while.

I also get a kick out of these kinds of statements, because whenever a judge is trying to be nominated by a conservative, they look at the judge's beliefs, and if they don't match the liberal agenda, then they get stonewalled. (Note the illegal fillibuster put on by the Democrats, which has never happened before.)

Again... I hate to break it to you, but despite what you may believe both sides regularly try to stack courts with agreeable judges.  It's a problem that no politician has any interest in trying to fix.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 03:38:21 PM »

Ashcroft resigning makes this 2nd term a bunch easier to take.  smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 03:39:44 PM »

Article about rumored cabinet shuffles...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/politics/campaign/04cabinet.html?hp
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
I have seen more liberals trying to force their beliefs on me more than the "religious right" try to force their beliefs on anyone.

Got any examples?  Because I hate to break it to you but banning gay marriage is one of the biggest examples of a group forcing it's beliefs on the populace to come around in quite a while.

I also get a kick out of these kinds of statements, because whenever a judge is trying to be nominated by a conservative, they look at the judge's beliefs, and if they don't match the liberal agenda, then they get stonewalled. (Note the illegal fillibuster put on by the Democrats, which has never happened before.)

Again... I hate to break it to you, but despite what you may believe both sides regularly try to stack courts with agreeable judges.  It's a problem that no politician has any interest in trying to fix.

s

I would say that the gay lobby brought this on themselves, as they were the ones who forced the issue by pushing for it in Massachusettes and California.  Also, I'm told not to be offended by a lot of stuff, and yet you'd think that "under God" is like putting a four-letter word in the Pledge.  Also, they are trying to push a smoking ban on businesses in some areas.  If a business wants to have smoking then let them have it.  If they don't want it, they don't have to have it.  Don't force it on businesses.

You will probably disagree, but you have a right to your opinion.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
draegun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004, 03:55:51 PM »

Quote from: "El Guapo"

If Ashcroft left, that would be great.  But hopefully Powell will choose to stay.  From my limited knowledge, he seems to be the moderating force within the Bush admin.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004, 04:01:58 PM »

I would say that the gay lobby brought this on themselves, as they were the ones who forced the issue by pushing for it in Massachusettes and California.

That's fair.  But it doesn't make those laws right.  It's pretty clearly bigotry IMHO.  I mean, I don't want to watch some dudes going at it right in front of me, but if those same dudes want to enter into a loving marriage.  I'm all for it.  Too many children in loveless marriages in this world. frown

Also, I'm told not to be offended by a lot of stuff, and yet you'd think that "under God" is like putting a four-letter word in the Pledge.

Personally I could care less about this one, either way, however... people are against this because of the "seperation of church and state" which this clearly (but harmlessly IMHO) violates.  They are not forcing their beliefs on the right, they are trying to bring back that seperation because they feel having to say "under god" infringes on their beliefs (or lack thereof).

Also, they are trying to push a smoking ban on businesses in some areas.  If a business wants to have smoking then let them have it.  If they don't want it, they don't have to have it.  Don't force it on businesses.

Well this isn't a left or right issue... it's more a "I like smoking" vs. "don't blow that $hit in my face" issue. smile  This is another one I couldn't really care less about.  Yeah I hate having some idiot blows smoke into my face while I'm trying to eat, but you're right, if you want to go into a smoking restaurant that's the price you pay, but I don't see this one as left or right.

You will probably disagree, but you have a right to your opinion.

Thanks. smile

s

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: