http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 02:45:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Olympics] China's doing a bang up job...  (Read 4414 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »

...of coming across as gigantic scumbags.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »

I think you underestimate the importance of being flawless in internal feeling. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 12, 2008, 06:52:05 PM

...of coming across as gigantic scumbags.

It doesn't surprise me, unfortunately...
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »

Unfortunately, after seeing Disney's "sexual-ization" of kids like Miley Cyrus, I don't know if I can honestly point a finger at anyone from where I'm sitting.   icon_frown

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 07:18:57 PM »

It's a show, and it's China, who has different values than most western cultures. The face you show is more important that anything else. Presentation is important.

Here's a question, if everyone in China has no problem with this, including the girls, would you still have a problem with it? If so, you're projecting your feelings of moral superiority on others with different values just because they think differently than you, which must make them wrong.

Another non-issue hyping to seem important just to digg on China because they are different than us.

We have 3 wars going on in the world, Iraq, Afghanistan, Georgia...
With the Olympics sports happening right now...
With a major political election about to take place...
With all the other crap going on in the world...

We're really wasting brain cycles (including me, replying to this stupid topic) on this such an unimportant issue?

The human race is failing... *sigh*

and as if this in itself is not enough, I present even more evidence.

http://www.bythefault.com/2008/08/10/someone-missed-a-science-class/

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 07:24:32 PM »

Wait....we in the U.S. have moral outrage about the singer not being allowed to sing because she wasn't cute enough?  The land of liposuction?  The land where if a woman is pretty and in a position of power, she has to have sucked some cock to get there?  The land where women are constantly being told, through various forms of media, that their bodies and appearance just aren't good enough?  Seriously?  Seriously?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »

Quote from: scubabbl on August 12, 2008, 07:18:57 PM

It's a show, and it's China, who has different values than most western cultures. The face you show is more important that anything else. Presentation is important.

Here's a question, if everyone in China has no problem with this, including the girls, would you still have a problem with it? If so, you're projecting your feelings of moral superiority on others with different values just because they think differently than you, which must make them wrong.

Another non-issue hyping to seem important just to digg on China because they are different than us.

We have 3 wars going on in the world, Iraq, Afghanistan, Georgia...
With the Olympics sports happening right now...
With a major political election about to take place...
With all the other crap going on in the world...

We're really wasting brain cycles (including me, replying to this stupid topic) on this such an unimportant issue?

The human race is failing... *sigh*

and as if this in itself is not enough, I present even more evidence.

http://www.bythefault.com/2008/08/10/someone-missed-a-science-class/

Wow, someone has developed a case of "I friggin' hate the world, myself, David Hasselhof and anyone with a G in their name".   icon_lol  You've done a wonderful job of self-parody, so I really have nowhere to go with you beyond that. 

(by the way, read the article:  there are actually quite a few chinese bloggers expressing outrage over the incident...so, you know, there goes your theory everyone in china thinks the same  Roll Eyes)

and grue, read my second post in which I pretty much make your post redundant before you get the chance to chime in.  it helps if you actually read through a thread if you're going to try to shout it down.  icon_lol

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:41:22 PM by hepcat » Logged

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »

you're projecting your feelings of moral superiority on others with different values just because they think differently than you, which must make them wrong.

While the issue may seem unimportant and a waste of time to you it doesn't mean it isn't to others, nor does it make us wrong for feeling differently than you.  In fact, were China not such a cesspool for human rights violations, I'm sure that many would gladly overlook this.  However, by hosting the world, they put themselves under the microscope to be publicly scrutinized.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:36:55 PM by rickfc » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 12, 2008, 07:26:08 PM

and grue, read my second post in which I pretty much make your post redundant before you get the chance to chime in.  it helps if you actually read through a thread if you're going to try to shout it down.  icon_lol

I did read it...it didn't go far enough for me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »

How could the Chinese do this? I'm outraged!

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 12, 2008, 07:29:32 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 12, 2008, 07:26:08 PM

I did read it...it didn't go far enough for me.

here, try this on for size:

AMERICA IS A SHALLOW WORTHLESS PIECE OF CRAP THAT SHOULD BE FORCED TO UNDERGO THAT TORTURE THAT DUSTIN HOFFMAN HAD DONE TO HIM IN MARATHON MAN...YOU KNOW...WITH THE TEETH PULLING AND THE BLOOD AND THE...OH GOD, THAT WAS PAINFUL TO WATCH....I HAD TO SWITCH THE CHANNEL TO NICK AT NIGHT I WAS SO TRAUMATIZED...EVEN TODAY I TAKE A SWING AT MY DENTIST IF HE COMES NEAR ME WITH ANYTHING METAL...WHICH EXPLAINS THE LACK OF MOST OF MY FRONT TEETH DUE TO GINGIVITIS

Quote from: Moliere on August 12, 2008, 07:31:00 PM

i wasn't aware that milli vanilli was a state sanctioned singing group   icon_confused

icon_lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:34:22 PM by hepcat » Logged

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

There's a difference, though. In the case of the Miley Cyrus' of the world, record labels are trying to make money. Beauty sells. American Idol, which is about the most perfect display of how to manufacture pop on the planet, makes no bones about the fact that looks play a part.

This wasn't a record deal. It was a one-shot event.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 12, 2008, 08:15:41 PM

There's a difference, though. In the case of the Miley Cyrus' of the world, record labels are trying to make money. Beauty sells. American Idol, which is about the most perfect display of how to manufacture pop on the planet, makes no bones about the fact that looks play a part.

This wasn't a record deal. It was a one-shot event.

. . . designed to sell China as deserving of what it sees as its rightful place of world prominence.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:20:20 PM »

I still feel creeped out when I see some of the outfits they shoved a 14 year old girl (at the time) into, though.  

My disgust with China was over the treatment of the little girls, that's all.  It's like they're telling the "hidden girl", "You're not pretty enough to make it in this world."  I know it happens every day, but on a stage this big, it's just crass to a level that makes me sick.  If they were adults, I wouldn't see this in such a negative light.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:26:33 PM by hepcat » Logged

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 12, 2008, 07:31:00 PM

Me Too!!

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 08:32:04 PM »

Quote from: Zero on August 12, 2008, 08:25:08 PM

Me Too!!

Whoa, there mister!  You STFU!  Ashlee/Jessica/Britney/Avril/etc ad naseum are really talented.  Looks are an added bonus!  Tongue
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »

I'm confused:  were milli vanilli AND ashley simpson created by the government to project a better image of the United States to the world at large???

if so, who was in charge of this project and why was that person given enough Oxycontin to put 12 Rush Limbaugh's into a near catatonic state before discharging his duty?

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 08:57:36 PM »

. . . designed to sell China as deserving of what it sees as its rightful place of world prominence.

And one little girl with slightly crooked teeth is going to change that in the midst of a 300 million dollar spectacle? Ludicrous.

They've traded the infinitely remote possibility of the world looking down on China for trotting out an average looking 7-year old for the very real fact that this bait-and-switch has now become a far more damaging issue on the PR front. It speaks to the Chinese government's obsessive control of minutia, and raises the specter of human rights (or lack thereof) in its treatment of a little kid.

I don't fault the vast majority of the Chinese people. From what I read, this swap was done at the behest of a single government individual - up until final rehearsals they were going to use the original singer.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 12, 2008, 07:29:13 PM

you're projecting your feelings of moral superiority on others with different values just because they think differently than you, which must make them wrong.

While the issue may seem unimportant and a waste of time to you it doesn't mean it isn't to others, nor does it make us wrong for feeling differently than you.  In fact, were China not such a cesspool for human rights violations, I'm sure that many would gladly overlook this.  However, by hosting the world, they put themselves under the microscope to be publicly scrutinized.

I would argue that at the moment, America is also a cesspool for human rights violations. Yes, China has put itself on the world stage and all the world can see, but America is on the world stage constantly and its own citizens are glossing over our treatment of people in Iraq and our conduct in our war on terror. We have been trained the listen to the media. China's gaff made front page news so of course, American's focus their moral outrage on it, but when our own government does horrible things, there is no problem, because the news said so.

It's a straight forward case of pot meets kettle....
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »

Quote from: scubabbl on August 12, 2008, 10:44:58 PM

I would argue that at the moment, America is also a cesspool for human rights violations. Yes, China has put itself on the world stage and all the world can see, but America is on the world stage constantly and its own citizens are glossing over our treatment of people in Iraq and our conduct in our war on terror. We have been trained the listen to the media. China's gaff made front page news so of course, American's focus their moral outrage on it, but when our own government does horrible things, there is no problem, because the news said so.

so in essence, all injustices of the world are assigned a value by scubabbl that represents their importance.  on this scubabble scale, treating a little girl like an unwanted member of society ranks at around 1,293, while the wars in iraq, georgia and afghanistan rank around 234, 235 and 236 respectively.  if you post something with a value of 1,293 without first mentioning how horrible numbers 234, 235 and 236 are, you're a hypocrite (by the way, let's face it, in this world there's no such thing as an innocent nation so if only those not guilty of hypocrisy were allowed to cry "foul" every now and then, we'd be living in a pretty silent world) and "wasting brain cycles" even commenting on it.

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

i anxiously await your values for world hunger, aids and reality television.

(by the way, our citizens are "glossing over" our problems?  have you SEEN this government's approval ratings?  have you even stepped outside your house to get a newspaper, even.   Roll Eyes.  i love it when uninformed people try to make others feel bad by spouting something they heard on television or from friends at a party.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:12:32 PM by hepcat » Logged

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 11:11:58 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 12, 2008, 11:07:44 PM

so in essence, all injustices of the world are assigned a value by scubabbl that represents their importance.  on this scubabble scale, treating a little girl like an unwanted member of society ranks at around 1,293, while the wars in iraq, georgia and afghanistan rank around 234, 235 and 236 respectively.  if you post something with a value of 1,293 without first mentioning how horrible numbers 234, 235 and 236 are, you're a hypocrite (cause, let's face it, in this world there's no such thing as an innocent nation) and "wasting brain cycles" even commenting on it.

I know for a fact that the bad haircut I received back in 1992 ranks a solid #2, only to be surpassed by Hiroshima.  And only because not only did the inhabitants have bad hair, but it was also on fire.  As you can see, the ranking scale isn't an exact science, but at least the top few seem to be worthy of their positions. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 11:13:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 12, 2008, 11:11:58 PM

so in essence, all injustices of the world are assigned a value by scubabbl that represents their importance.  on this scubabble scale, treating a little girl like an unwanted member of society ranks at around 1,293, while the wars in iraq, georgia and afghanistan rank around 234, 235 and 236 respectively.  if you post something with a value of 1,293 without first mentioning how horrible numbers 234, 235 and 236 are, you're a hypocrite (cause, let's face it, in this world there's no such thing as an innocent nation) and "wasting brain cycles" even commenting on it.

I know for a fact that the bad haircut I received back in 1992 ranks a solid #2, only to be surpassed by Hiroshima.  And only because not only did the inhabitants have bad hair, but it was also on fire.  As you can see, the ranking scale isn't an exact science, but at least the top few seem to be worthy of their positions. 

i slipped that guy a sawbuck to give you a mullet...i've always wanted to get that off my chest
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:34:11 PM by hepcat » Logged

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »

Please try to remember that us mere mortals are not capable of thinking about items 1 - 50 without our heads exploding into flames.  So....  

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 12, 2008, 11:13:51 PM

i slipped that guy a sawbuck to give you a mullet...i've always wanted to get that off my chest

You are now dead to me and shall never be forgiven.  Steal a man's car, sleep with a man's wife, kill a man's dog, or drink all of a man's beer, but there are some things that are beyond sacred.  Do not ever mess with a man's hair.  Especially mine.

I will forever have to live with the scars from that tragic incident.  And I am apalled to know that you are to blame.    

Fortunately my fabulousness is grand enough to withstand such minor pitfalls.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 11:21:09 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on August 12, 2008, 11:17:15 PM

Please try to remember that us mere mortals are not capable of thinking about items 1 - 50 without our heads exploding into flames.  So....  

#51 put me in a hospital for three weeks.

You are now dead to me and shall never be forgiven.

yeah, yeah, yeah...you said the same thing when i made the mistake of not calling your beauty supplies "product".  the moment I got the new formula aveda confixor sampler though, who came a runnin'?

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 11:41:33 PM »

The most outrageous thing about this whole mess is the fact that had they put the girl whose voice was used out on the stage, every internet troll and their dog would be mocking the kid because her teeth look awkward. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 11:45:19 PM »

There is so much more to be outraged about with China that I could care less about the feelings of a little girl.

Capital Punishment in China

You get the jist.

PSN ID: EduardoX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 12:06:11 AM »

hell, even their fireworks have to use performance enhancers.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 12:09:20 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 12, 2008, 11:45:19 PM

There is so much more to be outraged about with China that I could care less about the feelings of a little girl.

Capital Punishment in China

You get the jist.

yeah, i get the "gist".

at any point did i even begin to state that this was the greatest outrage of our times?  is it now a rule that we can only post things that reside within the highest echelon of what's wrong with the world?  do we need to quantify every single post we make about a perceived wrong with a caveat that worse things are going on in the world?

you and scub need to post that ranking system for injustice 'cause i'm completely confused about what i can call "wrong" in this world without you guys to guide me.

I could care less about the feelings of a little girl.

that's the first step in losing your soul, my dear boy.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:14:53 AM by hepcat » Logged

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 12:21:22 AM »

[Godwin]

What about the Nazis? Look at the master propagandist Goebbels.

[/Godwin]

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 12:23:14 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 13, 2008, 12:21:22 AM

[Godwin]

[/Godwin]

icon_lol  that actually got whipped out (in spirit) quite early on in this thread.

scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 12:52:39 AM »

Quote from: scubabbl on August 12, 2008, 10:44:58 PM

so in essence, all injustices of the world are assigned a value by scubabbl that represents their importance.  on this scubabble scale, treating a little girl like an unwanted member of society ranks at around 1,293, while the wars in iraq, georgia and afghanistan rank around 234, 235 and 236 respectively.  if you post something with a value of 1,293 without first mentioning how horrible numbers 234, 235 and 236 are, you're a hypocrite (by the way, let's face it, in this world there's no such thing as an innocent nation so if only those not guilty of hypocrisy were allowed to cry "foul" every now and then, we'd be living in a pretty silent world) and "wasting brain cycles" even commenting on it.

(by the way, our citizens are "glossing over" our problems?  have you SEEN this government's approval ratings?  have you even stepped outside your house to get a newspaper, even.   Roll Eyes.  i love it when uninformed people try to make others feel bad by spouting something they heard on television or from friends at a party.)

Wrong. Treating a little girl like an unwanted member of society falls closer to 1450. World hunger is pretty high up there, because being hungry sucks. AIDS is so 90's so that's pretty low. Reality television is the greatest scourge on the face of the earth.

Our citizens gloss over problems because we thing firmly frowning on the administration (giving low approval ratings) is just and fair punishment. We're apathetic and focus our major outcries on what the media tells us vs. actually doing something about it.

I don't know the exact numbers and am far to American to look them up, so lets say our population is 250,000,000. If roughly 80% disapprove of our government's administration, that's like, 200,000,000 people who disapprove. Yet the administration continues to run rampant over our rights. We allow them to do whatever they want with no more punishment than a severe finger wagging.

It's funny that the major media story of the day is the poor little Chinese girl, and here you are, spouting about it like you heard it on t.v.  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:54:54 AM by scubabbl » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 12:58:57 AM »

Quote from: scubabbl on August 13, 2008, 12:52:39 AM

Our citizens gloss over problems because we thing firmly frowning on the administration (giving low approval ratings) is just and fair punishment. We're apathetic and focus our major outcries on what the media tells us vs. actually doing something about it.

you mean like posting self-righteous diatribes on an internet forum dedicated to console games?

icon_lol

in any case, i think perhaps you're unfamiliar with the way a democratic government works.  you see, when a president and/or his administration have really low approval ratings, they get replaced when reelections come around with someone who oftentimes runs on the platform that they'll change things.  hence the issue of withdrawing from iraq being a major issue supporting obama's campaign.  so yes, virginia, ratings DO count.  unlike in, oh...say...China...in which the people have very little voice.

i can get you a book from the library that covers how all this works, if you're interested.  you seem to have picked up most of your knowledge of the american government from oliver stone movies. icon_razz

(by the way, i've never voted republican in my life - i see a "you're a conservative stooge" outburst coming- and have more than likely participated in more rallies, marches and other acts of civil disobedience than yourself...so let's cut out all the holier than thou crap, it's really grating)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:07:37 AM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 01:05:48 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 13, 2008, 12:23:14 AM

[Godwin]

[/Godwin]

icon_lol  that actually got whipped out (in spirit) quite early on in this thread.

hey, isn't whipping out your goebbels on public forums a bit inappropriate?

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 01:22:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 13, 2008, 01:05:48 AM

[Godwin]

[/Godwin]

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 01:30:49 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 13, 2008, 01:22:09 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 13, 2008, 01:05:48 AM

[Godwin]

[/Godwin]

sure, bring Marx into this whydontcha.  I'll just trump him with my

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:33:33 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 01:33:02 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 13, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

you mean like posting self-righteous diatribes on an internet forum dedicated to console games?

icon_lol

ahem

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 01:40:08 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 13, 2008, 01:33:02 AM

Quote from: hepcat on August 13, 2008, 12:58:57 AM

icon_lol

ahem

sorry...sorry...

dedicated to console AND pc gaming?

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 02:04:38 AM »

Don't even try hepcat. I've been around R&P long enough to see this classic argument over and over in all its various forms.

Broken down, it's basically the logical fallacy that:

1. If Country A is doing *or has done in the past* something bad, then Country A has no right to criticize Country B for doing something bad.

2. Scale does not matter. It doesn't matter if Country A's actions are miniscule by comparison to Country B's actions, all actions are treated equally.

There's no arguing with people who won't budge from their non-logical viewpoint.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 02:46:23 AM »

I just felt that coming into this thread with both guns blazing, basically bitching that we were ugly americans for getting upset over a little girl being told by a figure of authority that she wasn't fit to be seen when there were wars going on was insulting.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: