http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 07:54:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [NHL] Hockey Tournament  (Read 724 times)
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »

I debated starting a new thread on this or keeping it in the NHL thread.  But since these *are* two different things, and since folks will probably want to refer back to this (at least until Monday) rather than digging it out of the middle of page 2 of that thread, well here it is.  Mods feel free to do with it what you will.

I've given up on my web hosting coming back on line in time, and so I'm open for business for my NHL hockey tournament.  I've sent out emails to the folks who've participated in the past few seasons, but here's the text of those messages for folks who are interested in becoming newcomers...

Hey, everyone.

I'm now accepting entries.  Have them in before the games begin on Monday April 14th.

The bad news is that the server problems plaguing this year's entries have not yet been fixed.  So I'm back to the good ol' email submission method.

What I need from you are four things:
1. Your team name (generally folks use their own name, but if you're afraid of your neighbors googling your name and finding out that you're a *gasp!* hockey fan, then feel free to submit a different name.  Warning only applies in the US).

2. Your nationality.  If you have multiple to choose from, then please only pick one.  For most of us, we'll be picking American or Canadian (just to give an example of what I'm after).

3. Whether or not you've participated in the past.  If you have and are using the same Team Name, then wonderful.  If you're changing team names, then please let me know old moniker(s) you've used.

4. Your picks.  What I need are fifteen total picks, 8 from the conference quarters, 4 from the conference semis, 2 from the conference finals, and 1 Stanley Cup winner.  Each of these fifteen picks consists of a team name and the number of games you think it'll take them to win (from 4 to 7).

Things to remember:
1. Picks have to be emailed to me at [email protected]
2. Picks have to be emailed before the puck drops on the games come Monday, April 14th.
3. You can resubmit picks up to the deadline, I'll just use the most-recent set.
3. Matchups for the second round are reseeded, so the highest remaining team in each conference will face the lowest remaining seeded team.
4. If the server *does* come back on line, I'll post to let people know.  Submissions entered on the server will supercede entries made via email.

I'm not crazy about going back to the email system I used it for a few years before getting to the automated system we know and love.  It makes for a lot more work on my end than I like, and the possibility exists that submissions can be goofed up.  But the reality is that the server hosting the tournament isn't getting fixed as quickly as I'd like, and I don't much want to skip the tournament entirely.  So here we are.

Thanks to everyone for bearing with me.  There are exactly 4 days out of the year that I care about server stability -- the Sunday through Wednesday prior to the NHL Playoffs beginning.  The server trouble this year began last Friday and continues for some indeterminant period of time into the future.  I feel for my buddy Rip who's dealing with the situation at his end.  My understanding is that he's working off of a sum total of sleep in the past week that approaches what I get in two nights' time.

Despite the extra work on my end, I'll plug the idea of inviting your friends and family to join in.  This thing is a lot more fun when you're competing against folks you know, and I've always said, the more the merrier.  If you forward them this note, please include my email address and a few words about why you've decided to come back and join up again this year.

When the server comes back up, you'll find my "plog" (pucks blog) at http://hockey.the-meal.com and you'll find a link to the playoff tournament from that page.  I've actually got an interesting new concept (for which most of you will be laughing at me, or if you happen to be my wife rolling your eyes at me) this year.  But I'm keeping that a secret until the server's back up and running.

Final warning -- picks in by 7pm EST, Monday April 14th.  GOOD LUCK!!

~Neal
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:44:20 PM »

If you guys wanted a pool site to use, one of my buddies runs the www.nhlhockeypool.com and it's completely free (donations appreciated but not required). I thought that might help you out. smile If that is direct competition, then please ignore. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »

I think they may have contacted me a few years ago trying to synch something up, actually.  But since I've been running my pool online for 12 years now, I'm sort of happy doing my niche small-guy thing.  No money changing hands, no ad banners, no selling emails, just a simple gang of folks talking hockey (be it trash talking, trying to sound smart, picking of Fatty Roy, or anything else).  Not even MHS knows what my embarssing addition to the plog is this year, although she may have some guesses...

~Neal
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 12:29:04 AM »

Meal, I haven't participated in previous years, but I'm interested in signing up this year. How does the scoring work?

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 01:51:28 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on April 11, 2008, 12:29:04 AM

Meal, I haven't participated in previous years, but I'm interested in signing up this year. How does the scoring work?

Awesome to have you!

Scoring is pretty simple, but explaining it is a mouthful of marbles.  32 points available in each of the 4 rounds, for a total of 128 total points.  The series in each round are worth twice as much as the series in the previous round (a perfect score gives 4 pts/each in the 1st round, 8 each in the 2nd, 16 in the conference finals, and 32 for the Stanley Cup).  What I do is take the difference in your picks vs the actual number of games it takes a team to win, and multiply that by 1, 2, 4, or 8 (depending on the round).  If you don't pick the right winner, then no points are earned for that series.  In the second round (when things are reseeded) I don't care whether you picked the right two teams to face off in a series, so if you pick the Flyers to win their 2nd round matchup in 5 games, it doesn't matter if they beat Montreal or Pittsburgh if they win their second round series in 7 games, then you'll get (7-5) * 2 = 4 points.

~Neal
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 07:59:17 PM »

Well, I did my picks. You've got mail!

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: