http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:30:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [News] Shooting at the Navy Yard  (Read 697 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »

At least twelve people are dead in Washington DC, including the gunman, who maybe one of up to three.

That gunman, 34-year-old Aaron Alexis of Fort Worth, Texas, is among the twelve dead. Officials said he recently began working as a civilian contractor.

The FBI, which now is leading the investigation, believes the gunman used the identification of a man who used to work at Navy Yard, reported Pete Williams of NBC News. The ID was found next to his body in Building 197, where most of the victims were shot on the third and fourth floors.

icon_frown

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »

yeah.  saw this at lunch.  wonder what this nutjob's case was. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:15:21 PM »

The news report i saw said that Washington D.C. isn't really a big city(which is rich coming from a UK news report),but its listed as the 24th biggest city in the U.S with 630k population so perhaps the news reporter was just going off the usual cities like New York or L.A. but anyhow from what he said, I suddenly remembered the Washington Sniper case about 10 years ago(That was DC as well and not State,right?)

sad story anyway

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »

thumbsdown to the shooting.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

News reports indicate that he shot out a construction worker's tires in 2004 in Washington State while in an "anger-fueled blackout", then in 2010, was arrested for a firearm discharge that he claimed was accidental when he sent a round up through his neighbor's floor.  This led to his discharge from the Navy, despite not being formerly charged by the DA.

Reports are that he was paranoid and had been under treatment for mental health issues.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 17, 2013, 06:15:21 PM

The news report i saw said that Washington D.C. isn't really a big city(which is rich coming from a UK news report),but its listed as the 24th biggest city in the U.S with 630k population so perhaps the news reporter was just going off the usual cities like New York or L.A. but anyhow from what he said, I suddenly remembered the Washington Sniper case about 10 years ago(That was DC as well and not State,right?)

sad story anyway

Yep, the sniper was in D.C, but they did actually live in Washington State (my city even).

Ale
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:49:05 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 17, 2013, 06:15:21 PM

sad story anyway

DC proper doesn't have a huge population, much of it is places people work and many of the people that work there live in one of the numerous metro areas surrounding it.

The population of the entire Baltimore–Washington Metroplex as of the Census Bureau's 2012 Population Estimates is 9,331,587.[4][5][6][7][8][9][10] The most populous city is Washington, DC, with a population of 632,323.[11] The most populous county is Fairfax County, Virginia, with a population exceeding 1 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore%E2%80%93Washington_metropolitan_area

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »

good to know on DC facts thumbsup

Guess what gets the blame for these latest shootings?

today's front page of one of the UK's rags

this is from CVG

This is, despite noting in the very first sentence, that gunman Aaron Alexis had been previously treated for mental illness.

According to the Mirror, "experts have argued for many years" that gamers can be affected by violent games - and Alexis was "really into" Call of Duty and World of Warcraft.

For the record, there are no peer-reviewed and credible studies which suggest video games make people violent. This month, 40 million people will play Call of Duty.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »

'Driven to kill by paranoia' doesn't make for near as interesting headline. He played games yes. But so do practically all 16-30 year old single males. This is the same age group that commits these type of crimes. So obviously they're also going to be gamers. It's not causal. Perhaps a paper could come out with 'military training drives people to kill'.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 18, 2013, 09:42:30 AM

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2013, 11:26:05 AM

actually...they did put the question mark in at the end

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 18, 2013, 11:16:04 AM

'Driven to kill by paranoia' doesn't make for near as interesting headline. He played games yes. But so do practically all 16-30 year old single males. This is the same age group that commits these type of crimes. So obviously they're also going to be gamers. It's not causal. Perhaps a paper could come out with 'military training drives people to kill'.

but that would be truthful!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »

Wash. Post has a useful graphic for understanding exactly what happened (which was frantically and constantly mis-reported all day long the day of the shootings):

What happened inside Building 197?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/local/navy-yard-shooting/scene-at-building-197/

I am glad DC has an aggressive "active shooter response team," which seems to involve the first officers at the scene equipping w/ assault rifles and entering the building asap as a four-person team.

Lots of police forces do that now, which I've read is largely a response to Columbine in 1999 (where police waited for the SWAT team to arrive), and again Virginia Tech in 2007 (where campus and state police surrounded the campus building, and never entered it because protocol was presumably "wait for SWAT"; Cho offed himself when the SWAT team finally arrived, used a bolt cutter to break the lock he had put in place on an entrance doorway, and entered the building). Minutes are lives in these rampages.  icon_frown
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:06:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 03:05:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2013, 11:26:05 AM

My wife plays a lot of Tetris.. I'm waiting for her to go on a massive rage filled stacking spree at some point...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »

Looks like I spoke too soon. Brewing controversy that a 4-officer Capital Police Containment and Emergency Response Team (SWAT, basically) happened to be near the Navy Yard building and was almost immediately on the scene but supposedly was told to stand down and leave the scene, even though DC Metro police had asked for their help:

Navy Yard: Swat team 'stood down' at mass shooting scene
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/24153252
One of the first teams of heavily armed police to respond to Monday's shooting in Washington DC was ordered to stand down by superiors, the BBC can reveal.

A tactical response team of the Capitol Police, a force that guards the US Capitol complex, was told to leave the scene by a supervisor instead of aiding municipal officers.

The Capitol Police department has launched a review into the matter.
The CERT team was equipped with tactical gear and armed with HK416 rifles (http://www.hk-usa.com/military_products/hk416_general.asp).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »

So,if they are trained for these circumstances,couldn't/wouldn't they of perhaps prevented the deaths?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »

have we started blaming Obama yet?

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 06:38:23 PM »

This FBI-released video is pretty disturbing, and shows just how lax security was at the facility (it's understandably cut off before he actually started shooting). It's also pretty clear nobody monitored the security camera footage, or they might've noticed an employee stalking corridors with a shotgun.  icon_eek

FBI video shows Navy Yard shooter
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/local/fbi-video-shows-navy-yard-shooter/2013/09/25/b1076d4c-260a-11e3-b75d-5b7f66349852_video.html

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 02:42:28 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 25, 2013, 06:38:23 PM

This FBI-released video is pretty disturbing, and shows just how lax security was at the facility (it's understandably cut off before he actually started shooting). It's also pretty clear nobody monitored the security camera footage, or they might've noticed an employee stalking corridors with a shotgun.  icon_eek

FBI video shows Navy Yard shooter
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/local/fbi-video-shows-navy-yard-shooter/2013/09/25/b1076d4c-260a-11e3-b75d-5b7f66349852_video.html

Aren't your reading into that quite a bit? I have worked in plenty of controlled area military organizations, and the fact is they don't have armed guards, why would this place? What leads you to believe this building should have armed guards? Maybe it needed it, I don't know, but saying security was lax seems to be over the top.
Markstrink
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »

My uncle lived right down the road from the OK city bombers farm. Deckerville. I remember when they showed the house. I remembered it instantly. My uncle turned out ok. He was gay, which m family held against him and stopped letting us visit when we were younger. Made no sense then and no sense now. He never, as far as I know, came up with plans to kill people.

When will we stop blaming video games, music, movies. When will we start letting people take responsibility for their own actions? Mental illness, which seems to be the case here, is one thing.

My daughter (4.6) behaves badly at times. I don't blame letting her watc anime or istening to much shelikes.i make sure that when she does i sit with her and explain why her behavior was bad.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »

that video was surreal.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »

It looked like kids at the end of that hallway right before the video ended (by the size of the people filing out of the doorway). Those "to the ceiling" doors mess with perspective.

Also, the camera resolution doesn't help.

Sad day, regardless.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:46:56 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: