http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 05:34:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [News] Mass shooting at Conn. elementary school (26 dead, including 18 kids)  (Read 1117 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »

Grisly details still rolling in...  tear

26 dead after lone gunman assaults Connecticut elementary school, official says
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/14/15907407-26-dead-after-gunman-assaults-connecticut-elementary-school-official-says?lite
Updated at 1 p.m. ET: Twenty-six people were killed, including 18 children, when a gunman opened fire in a Connecticut elementary school Friday morning, a law enforcement official said.

The gunman, who is dead, was a 20-year-old from Connecticut, an official said. He was wearing all black and was carrying two 9mm handguns.

CNN:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14/shooting-reported-at-connecticut-elementary-school/?hpt=hp_t1

More localized coverage at this Connecticut newspaper NewsTimes...
http://www.newstimes.com/

*Note: All the news sites are reporting different numbers, so like other incidents like that, that'll probably get updated throughout today and this weekend.

I can't really fathom or process anyone doing this kind of thing. Well I don't think any of us can ever fathom it regardless of situation, but at a elementary school? Just boggles the mind.  icon_frown
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:38:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »

My God, all those parents having to bury their children breaks my heart.  I can't imagine the pain they're going through.   icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »

icon_cry

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »

Just to show how initial reports vary so much, one said he used two 9mm pistols. And then this report claims it was a .223-caliber rifle:

AP source: 20-year-old suspect had ties to school
http://www.newstimes.com/news/crime/article/AP-source-20-year-old-suspect-had-ties-to-school-4118962.php#ixzz2F3MAsT5G
A law enforcement official says the attacker in the Connecticut school shootings is a 20-year-old man with ties to the school.

The official said that a gun used in the attacks is a .223-caliber rifle. The official also said that New Jersey state police are searching a location in that state in connection with the shootings, said by an official in Connecticut to have left 27 dead, including 18 children.
So, probably reporters are talking to sources with various agencies, and there'll be conflicting information for a while.

Isn't one of those assault rifles .223 caliber? AR-15, M-16, M-4 etc?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:45:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »

It's possible that a friend at church's grand nephew is among the dead.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »

Just disgusting.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »

fucking coward.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2012, 06:52:07 PM

fucking coward.

this

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »

As an aside, it pisses me off a bit when I see news crews shoving microphones into the faces of these kids.  For christ's sake, leave them alone.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 14, 2012, 06:43:18 PM

Gosh, I hope and pray that's not true.  icon_frown

For some context, that local paper has an overhead photo of the school (it's pretty huge):
http://www.newstimes.com/news/crime/article/Feds-helping-in-Conn-school-shooting-response-4118832.php#photo-3892735
*I can't seem to link directly to the photo -- click over to photo #17 there for the overhead school photo.

Latest death count (again, varying by news site), appears to be 29 dead, including 22 children. Presumably doesn't include the shooter himself (suicide, I assume).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:09:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »

Any of us who have young kids should take an extra moment today to hug them and tell them how much we love them.

My heart just aches for those kids who died and the parents who are going through one of the most unspeakably terrible events in their lives.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on December 14, 2012, 07:21:38 PM

My heart just aches for those kids who died and the parents who are going through one of the most unspeakably terrible events in their lives.

Merry Christmas.  icon_cry
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »

More details coming out about the shooter. He was a 24 year old ex-school employee who was fired. His mom worked at the school. Both his parents were also found dead.

Just beyond tragic...
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »

Aren't some sources reporting he had an accomplice?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »

The only thing I saw on my news aggregate was the headline: Elementary School Shooting in Connecticut.

I have a 9 year old daughter and live in CT.  My heart dropped to the floor.  Clicking on the article, it was clear that this happened about 45 minutes from us, and I was able to breathe again.

I only got a small glimpse of what the parents at that school of those poor children (the ones who are alive, too) must be going through.  I'm very thankful.

As I write this, the bus is extremely late getting home.  I assume due to extra precautions (we got an email from the superintendent saying as much).  I know this was isolated and rare and that it's not happening again right now, but it sure as hell doesn't make this wait easier.

EDIT: She got home about a half hour late and doesn't seem to be aware of what was going on.  She hasn't asked.  She's been going through some death-related anxiety lately, so I'm not going to bring it up.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:09:19 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »

Fucking sick.

My heart goes out to the parents of the deceased, and to all those kids impacted by this senseless act.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »

This breaks my heart.  I just can't believe it.  Some of the details that are starting to come out are just horrible.  Those kids suffered.  I wanted to throw up when I read that he may have killed them execution style.   

I know it's irrational, but I wish that mf'er was still alive.     

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »

The latest update a few minutes ago at that local newspaper's site:
http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/27-dead-including-20-children-gunman-in-Newtown-4118505.php
State police said 26 people including 20 children were massacred in a bloodbath at Sandy Hook Elementary School Friday morning by a lone gunman.

The gunman is also dead, bringing the total dead at the school to 27, state police have confirmed. A second crime scene has been established at a Newtown home, where a body was found after the shooting.

There are conflicting reports on who the shooter was.

The Associated Press has identified the shooter as 20-year-old Adam Lanza.

CNN originally identified the shooter as Adam Lanza's brother, Ryan Lanza, 24, a Hoboken, N.J. resident. The AP said Ryan Lanza is being questioned by police in the investigation.

A Facebook page belonging to Ryan Lanza, a former Newtown resident who lived in Hoboken, N.J. who studied at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, has been taken down. Before it was deleted, Ryan Lanza posted on the page and said he wasn't the shooter.
The reports seem to indicate the Lanza brothers' mother -- who was a teacher at the school -- was killed at their residence. So various reports site "sources say" the younger brother killed his mother first and then went to school to do his rampage. I won't speculate on what kind of thinking or mental illness drives someone to do any of that. It's just impossible to comprehend.

[Well, some reports say the mother was the first victim at the school itself. So it's not clear who the person killed at that residence is]

fwiw, the article also explains Conn. has some of the tougher gun control laws in the U.S., including an assault weapons ban:
Connecticut's gun laws are tougher than the national average. Consumers need permits to buy handguns. Assault-style weapons are banned as is the possession of bullet-proof vests. Another law, adopted about 10 years ago, lets neighbors who are suspicious of the activities of other neighbors to file police reports. Also, people with protective orders filed against them are prohibited from owning firearm
He could've gotten them at a gun show, or in N.J. where he had a residence, etc. Presumably they're tracking down that sort of background now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:31:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 11:06:53 PM »

Just disgusting and cowardly. Be a man and kill yourself first if it comes to that.

And I suppose it's time to have a talk with my deppressive, cowardly, gun nut, friend about this sort of thing.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 14, 2012, 11:06:53 PM

Just disgusting and cowardly. Be a man and kill yourself first if it comes to that.

And I suppose it's time to have a talk with my deppressive, cowardly, gun nut, friend about this sort of thing.

Please do before it's too late.  These people have warning signs.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 14, 2012, 06:43:18 PM

He made it home. But two of his mother's friends haven't heard anything as of this afternoon...
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »

It's certainly tempting to call the shooter names, but please remember that he was obviously very mentally ill. Untroubled people just don't do this. The state of mental healthcare in this country is pitiful. Not saying that it could have definitely stopped this massacre, but look at all of these killings that are happening. Someone, somewhere must have seen something from these people that would let them know that they were distressed. If these people had been able to get help, then perhaps some of these tragedies could have been averted.

In any case, I don't have kids but I'm still heartbroken over this and can't imagine what those poor families are going through.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »

The Onion:
Fuck Everything, Nation Reports
Just Fuck It All to Hell

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 14, 2012, 11:06:53 PM

This,you have problems then you do what you have to do to sort them,fucking top yourself if need be,but don't destroy other peoples lives because you are so fucked up!!

Kotaku article says that Fox news are already blaming Video games Roll Eyes
http://kotaku.com/5968569/fox-news-links-connecticut-shooting-to-violent-video-games

video in the link if you really want to watch the report,I haven't

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 15, 2012, 01:18:17 AM

This,you have problems then you do what you have to do to sort them,top yourself if need be,but don't destroy other peoples lives because you are so shaq-fu'd up!!

Problem is if you're rational enough to have that thought, you're probably not going to go shoot up a school in the first place.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »

Oh God, this is terrible beyond belief. My families' just been getting over the scare we had this week as one of my Portland cousins has a daughter working in the mall in Clackamas that was attacked. This is so much worse, I can't imagine how tragic this is for the parents of those  victims or how anxiety inducing it was for anyone with a child at that school. My heart goes out to all those parents.   icon_cry
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »

I stopped sharing news links because it seemed like information was changing literally on the hour.

Here are some links about the victims. The 20 children were all in the ages 5-7 range:

Victims of the Newtown School Shooting (Channel 8 in Conn.)
http://www.wtnh.com/generic/news/newtown-ct-school-shooting-victims

Faces of the Victims (Wash. Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/newtown-school-shooting-victims/

I always wonder how I'd react in that type of situation, and hope I never find out. By all accounts, the principal and school psychologist (women in their 40s and 50s) rushed towards the sound of gunfire and were gunned down before they could reach the shooter. I recall at least one teacher at the Va. Tech shooting in 2007 reacted the same way (telling some students to stay in his upstairs office while he rushed towards the sounds).

Playing
PC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: