http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 04:37:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [NBC]Southland  (Read 2644 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »

the show that tries to fill ER's huge shoes starts tonight at 10pm EST on NBC.  the first episode has been available on Hulu but I was getting annoyed by the Juicy Fruit commercials so I decided to wait and record it tonight.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »

I'm going to record it as well.  I'd love to see a good police show that focuses on frontline patrol officers versus Detectives for a change.  Last show I recall that tried that was the very short lived High Incident.  However judging by the previews, it looks like's it's going to be overly dramatic drek.

16-bit and loving it!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »

Looking forward to watching it.  I liked the first season of the OC (OMG RYAAAAN!) and I like Benjamin whateverhisnameis.  SO I'll give it a shot.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 09, 2009, 08:45:34 PM

Looking forward to watching it.  I liked the first season of the OC (OMG RYAAAAN!) and I like Benjamin whateverhisnameis.  SO I'll give it a shot.

He's soooooooo dreamy smile

I also like Shawn Hatosy and Tom Everett Scott so I'm gonna get my fill of love from the show.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »

I was undecided at the beginning of the show but it picked up at the end and I think I'll keep watching a few more episodes.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 02:25:52 PM »

I liked it. It was interesting in that the
Spoiler for Hiden:
shooting went down so quickly.  No lead up, no anything.

I think it'll be a decent show.  And I hope Cudlitz gets to stick around.  I've liked watching him work ever since Gross Pointe Blank.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »

I thought the pilot was pretty awful.

On the positive side, it seems to have some pretty good production values and was well shot, but the negatives were overwhelming for me.

First, many of the characters seemed like over the top caricatures, with some of the worst dialogue in recent memory.  Some genuinely hilarious bits (Cudlitz telling McKenzie he looks like he's off 90210) were obliterated by the outlandish and preachy speeches talking about how gritty their job is (Cudlitz whole monologue after the shooting for example). To make things worse, they’ve include profanity in the script only to be bleeped out.  It this supposed to be edgy?  Because it’s making me feel like I’m watching an episode of Arrested Development. 

My second major complaint would be about how much they tried to fit into this one episode.  We have the kidnapping and murder of a young girl, which felt like just a minor side story.  I guess they’re trying to introduce all of the characters right off the bat, but the show needs more focus.  Too many characters with too many plots creates confusion and a story I could care less about.

I know pilots can be unpredictable, so I'll give the show a few more episodes to get its footing.  But if it doesn’t do a major turn around soon, I’ll be giving it a pass.

16-bit and loving it!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »

You don't know about real cops!  Oh, wait, maybe you do.   icon_biggrin

Now that I think about it, I'm getting a Shield-lite kinda vibe from it. 

As for Cudlitz, I got the feeling that he really wanted to put the kid through trial by fire and the talk after the shooting was kinda meant as a pep talk to get him through it.  Not exactly motivational speaker level of talk, but trying to get through to him so he didn't shut down.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »

GAH, fell asleep 5 minutes in. Gotta watch it again...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »

I watched it on Hulu and found it interesting enough to want to see how it shapes up. But I do agree with a Wash. Post review that as pilot it just seems to be jamming too many characters and storylines into too little air time (due to networks cramming in so many commercials). Obviously, being from ER's key producer, that's maybe to be expected, but I don't think it would've hurt it to focus more on one or two things initially and then branch out.

ER maybe had the advantage in its pilot of virtually everything happening within one claustrophobic setting, so even if it threw a lot of characters at you initially, they were all sort of in the same place rotating around each other. Southland is all over LA and all over the place so it's a different viewpoint/vibe.

I really liked NBC's Third Watch its first few seasons, and to me that was a better attempt at an ER-type show in a little different environs. It's early though, and I like Southland enough to want to see ensuing episodes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:42:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »

I enjoyed it.  I think they threw the whole kitchen sink in this episode to over-dramatize what a super-crazy-busy day a cop can go through.  And luckily (unluckily?) for him, it was his first day.

I liked it.  I liked the opening music in the credits!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 03:58:48 PM »

I'm liking this show, but part of it feels contrived and made up on the spot.  Like that one cop being gay, first it was oh lets make him have a drug problem, now, lets make him gay, just to add shock value.

It's the way it's presented that bugs me.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 04:56:14 PM »

Yeah, it's definitely a TV show, and as a result it's over the top, and it has issues, but I actually like it (which is weird, because I tend to hate TV... especially drama TV).  I like Cudlitz.  I like Shawn Hatosy.

It's at least a bit less formulaic than something like NYPD Blue was, where they would always get a confession every episode...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »

In case anyone wonders, NBC just canceled Southland before Season 2 ever began airing. Apparently six "re-tooled" Season 2 episodes were filmed, but I guess it's anyone's guess whether those will air on NBC (maybe during the winter holiday season, or even next summer), or perhaps get aired on something like USA, Spike TV or another basic-cable station.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/tvblog/2009/10/abc-had-picked-up-three.html
Meanwhile, NBC has canceled cop drama "Southland" before it has even started its second season, according to trade reports. NBC scrapped the show's already-postponed October debut after discovering the gritty 10 o'clock series -- which debuted last spring and featured bleeped-out expletives and a youngf boy getting gunned down before the first commercial break of the first episode -- was too dark for 9 o'clock. Maybe they should have thought of that before they gave 10 o'clock to Jay Leno?

Also, if you're into TV news stuff, you might bookmark futoncritic.com (goofy name, but very newsy site that isn't drowning in obnoxious advertising):

NBC AXES "SOUTHLAND"
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=8328
LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- NBC has canceled its police drama "Southland" - two weeks before it was scheduled to return.

Production has been shut down after six episodes and the completed installments are being shelved for the foreseeable future. Current Friday, 9:00/8:00c occupant "Dateline NBC" will continue to fill "Southland's" intended home for the time being.

THR.com broke the news this afternoon, which has subsequently been confirmed to the site by Peacock sources.

"Southland" had originally been set to launch its second season on September 25 before being pushed to October 23.

The show's rocky road started at the TCA Summer Press Tour back in August, when NBC entertainment chief Angela Bromstad admitted they planned to retool the show.

The following month, incoming co-star Amaury Nolasco was let go and replaced by another new character, to be played by Clifton Collins.
Probably the show would've worked better on the FX channel as a sort-of watered-down kindred spirit to The Shield. Maybe they wouldn't have even had to have bleeped out the cussing.  icon_razz

I like Trauma, but its ratings are pretty terrible (Monday in general is just a disaster for NBC, it seems), and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make it past Season 1 either. I feel bad for both shows, cause any other network would probably move them to the 10 p.m. slot and give them a fighting chance.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:12:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »

NBC continues to prove that they have lost whatever mojo they had that kept me watching during the 90s.  They are well on their way to becoming the joke that CBS used to be.  Maybe they should just fill the retiree need like CBS used to .

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »

DAMNIT.  I liked that show.  They need to cancel heroes.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 04:10:32 PM »

Like many companies in the US, they have retards working as decision makers.
Pretty soon network TV will be reduced to talent shows and reality shows.

Another great show bites the dust.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »

Don't laugh or say there is one..we need a Sci-Fi channel.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »

I HATE JAY LENO.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 02:56:32 AM »

Can't we petition that the "Band of Brothers cast alumni network" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185906/fullcredits) notify its members not to keep entering the NBC meat grinder?  paranoid

Referring to the previous cancellations of Life (Damian Lewis) after 2 seasons, and Boomtown after 2 seasons (created by a BoB screenwriter, Graham Yost, and the cast included Donnie Wahlberg and Neal McDonough, with Frank John Hughes in a couple episodes too). And now Michael Cudlitz in Southland is (barring another network or basic cable picking it up) gone too.  disgust

I wouldn't say any of those shows would become as good as, say, Hill Street Blues (which had bad to mediocre ratings much of its life, and then seemed to get stronger ratings later in its 7-season run), but I hate to see promising shows get plowed under before they get their "sea legs" under them. Not every series finds it proper footing right out of the box.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:58:56 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »

Hey, TNT is supposedly in talks to toss Southland a lifeline:

'Southland' may move to TNT

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/10/13/southland-may-move-to-tnt/
Southland may find a place on TNT’s schedule after NBC’s surprise cancellation before the gritty cop drama could even start its sophomore season. According to The Hollywood Reporter, talks are “advancing” between TNT and the series’ studio, Warner Bros. TV.

The two sides share a corporate parent, which could make the switch even easier. The critically lauded show, starring Benjamin McKenzie as a rookie police officer, had shot six episodes for the new season before NBC shut it down last week before airing any of them.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 05:35:45 AM »

It's official:

For Release: Nov. 2, 2009

TNT Picks Up Acclaimed Drama SOUTHLAND

TNT has picked up the critically acclaimed series SOUTHLAND, closing a deal with Warner Bros. Television that will bring the drama from Emmy®-winning producer John Wells (ER, The West Wing) to the network in January. TNT has obtained exclusive rights to air all six episodes that have been shot for the second season, as well as the seven episodes from the series’ first season. SOUTHLAND will air on TNT Tuesdays at 10 p.m. (ET/PT), beginning with the first episode of the series on Jan. 12.

“This is a great win for fans of SOUTHLAND and a perfect opportunity to introduce the series to new viewers,” said Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks. “It’s also another outstanding example of how TNT has established itself as the go-to place for the best dramas on television.”

“We are extremely pleased that TNT has acquired all 13 episodes of SOUTHLAND, giving devoted fans the opportunity to watch a show that they passionately support,” said Peter Roth, president of Warner Bros. Television.

“We’re delighted that TNT has stepped forward to pick up SOUTHLAND. We are all extremely proud of the show,” Wells said.

SOUTHLAND premiered on NBC in April to rave reviews. The series was called “tough-minded [and] suspenseful” by The New York Times, which also said, “SOUTHLAND is commendably stinting and cold, a series that doesn’t aim to please, and is all the more pleasurable for it.” The Hollywood Reporter called SOUTHLAND “exciting, smart, realistic and brilliant,” while Daily Variety said, “[John] Wells and company have delivered a cop drama with its own racing pulse. The crisp execution … has a decidedly elite cable feel.”

In SOUTHLAND, John Cooper (Michael Cudlitz – A River Runs Through It) is a veteran cop assigned to train young rookie Ben Sherman (Ben McKenzie – The O.C.). Cooper attacks his job with a no-nonsense firmness that sometimes leaves Sherman wondering if he’s really cut out to be a cop.

The series also follows Detective Lydia Adams (Regina King – Ray, Jerry Maguire), who spends her off-work hours serving as her mother’s primary caregiver. Her partner, Detective Russell Clarke (Tom Everett Scott – Boiler Room), is a father struggling with an unhappy marriage. Detective Daniel “Sal” Salinger (Michael McGrady – The Thin Red Line) oversees a unit of gang detectives, including Nate Moretta (Kevin Alejandro – Drive, Ugly Betty) and Sammy Bryant (Shawn Hatosy – Alpha Dog). And patrol officer Chickie Brown (Arija Bareikis – Crossing Jordan) is a single mom determined to make her mark as the first woman in the SWAT unit.

SOUTHLAND is from John Wells Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Created by Emmy winner Ann Biderman (NYPD Blue, Public Enemies), the series is executive-produced by Biderman, Emmy winner Chris Chulack (ER, Third Watch) and Wells. Chulack is also a primary director of the series.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 05:48:35 AM »

Suckers.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »

TNT started airing ads for the new episodes of Southland, which start airing in mid January.

Has its own sub-site at TNT now:
Southland, at TNT
http://www.tnt.tv/title/display/?oid=53206

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »

These date back to February, but a blog called Daemon's TV has a few nice interviews with the cast (Cudlitz, Scott and McKenzie). I think at this point they've burned through the episodes produced for NBC and it's now a TNT-produced show (it wasn't at the time of the interviews).
http://www.daemonstv.com/category/cable/tnt/southland-nbc/

I like Tom Everett Scott's character, but he got shot in a rather shocking end to a recent episode. It's not really clear about the character's ultimate fate. Right now he's listed in credits as a "special guest star" rather than a regular, but I don't know if maybe he was always listed as that.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »

This is an excellent show and I'm glad TNT is giving it a chance. I'm getting caught up on last week's episode still. Looking forward to tonight!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 05:27:54 PM »

So I missed a few minutes here and there in the season finale.

Tom Everett Scott's character finally got out of the hospital and was begrudgingly back on duty, but I missed his re-appearance except near the end when he talked to his partner about being unsure he could be a cop anymore. It was nice to hear him matter of factly say, "you know I love you" to his cop partner since he's largely been a jerk to her from his hospital bed this season.  icon_smile

I'm not sure what Cooper (guy played by John Cudlitz of Band of Brothers fame) said "no" to near the end when his ex-wife came by with painkillers and epsom salts. Maybe she wanted to try to at least live together again as "just friends"? I hate when I miss just a few minutes of an episode, cause probably those couple things I'm confused on were explained at some point.

I look forward to getting the show on DVD at some point. I think it'll all make more sense to me (grasping all the characters) if I can watch it through sometime.

There was an episode a few weeks back where Sherman (Ben McKenzie) tries to save a woman whose ex-boyfriend is stalking her, and in the end he can't (he crashes through her home window to try to save her as the ex is beating her). Riveting stuff, and points out how useless restraining orders are (unless you have 24-hour security or something), but I was kinda disappointed the next episode picked up as if the incident had no impact on Sherman at all.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:33:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 05:35:49 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on March 16, 2010, 11:04:07 PM

This is an excellent show and I'm glad TNT is giving it a chance. I'm getting caught up on last week's episode still. Looking forward to tonight!

I agree. I think it is a great show, and it didn't seem to miss a beat from the transition.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »

Oh, and I also missed why Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar returns!) was so pissed off at her cop boyfriend at the end. I guess I'll hafta catch the episode online later to see what happened.

Here's a new Ben McKenzie interview (alas, no confirmation of renewal as of yet):
http://laist.com/2010/04/06/tv_junkie_interview_ben_mckenzie_of.php
LAist: So [tonight] is the season finale, is it also the series finale?

Ben McKenzie: We don't know whether we will be renewed or not. TNT has been fantastic and have put a lot of muscle behind the show - the ratings have been solid, not spectacular, but a lot of people have been DVRing the show and watching it that way, so I truly don't know if we are coming back yet. I'd certainly happily share the information if I had it but I think TNT is going to take its time to see how we do and how they want to go forward.
He said they finished filming episodes last October, so basically the cast has been on pins and needles for six months wondering if they'll get another season or not.

Some more interviews just out at SouthlandTVFans:
http://www.southlandtvfans.com/category/original-interviews
*NOTE: Be sure to click the "Continue Reading" links in each interview, if you're interested, as the interviews seem to be much longer than they appear to be on the cover page there.

Apparently Cudlitz and McKenzie are into using Twitter, but I can't make much sense out of their rambling Twitter-ese.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:04:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:36 PM »

Last little burst of "how did I miss this stuff," a fun video web chat with the whole Southland ensemble cast from March 2, and then some video of an SAG Southland video screening and group interviews, are at that fan site at:
http://www.southlandtvfans.com/category/about-southland/events

Apparently actor Michael McGrady did some voice work on a Rockstar videogame, L.A. Noir, which is due out in September, he said in the web chat. Apparently it uses some of the same motion capture techniques as the movie Avatar (no blue people though  icon_razz)

Playing
PC
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I love the irony in the season finale. He says that the rapist will be caught by a street cop, but also says the reason why he wants her to transfer to Comms is because she is not a street cop.
Guess who catches the killer while off-duty and alone no less.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on April 07, 2010, 08:42:29 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I love the irony in the season finale. He says that the rapist will be caught by a street cop, but also says the reason why he wants her to transfer to Comms is because she is not a street cop.
Guess who catches the killer while off-duty and alone no less.
The actress who plays her (Arija Bareikis) is actually quite adorable imho (see the web chat) in real life. They seem to have to really work on her makeup and hair to make her look tougher and not, well, cute.  icon_smile

Hey, on that web chat video, if you watch nothing else (it's fun, and the cast thanks the fans repeatedly for helping the show survive to this point), watch the last couple minutes for Cudlitz's hysterical and very NSFW impersonation of Sgt. Dale Dye (technical advisor on BoB).  icon_lol

I really hope TNT renews it, even if they end up having to cut down its budget or something. Between the Olympics, and the shift from NBC to TNT, I don't know it's really fair to judge its ratings at this point. Hopefully like Hill Street Blues managed to survive its initial poor ratings and NBC's repeated threads to cancel it, and thrive for a few years in the 1980s.

I think I'll ask for the Season 1 DVD set (which is just the first 7 episodes aired on NBC) for my b-day, which is coming up.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:23:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 10:27:38 PM »

However its ratings have failed, supposedly a cop show on ABC in the fall looks to be the first Southland clone...

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Fall+season+autopilot/2907071/story.html
Most likely to be clone:
• 187 Detroit (ABC)

James McDaniel, late of NYPD Blue, Michael Imperioli, late of The Sopranos, and Shaun Majumder - yes, that Shaun Majumder - star in an hour-long cop show that purports to show what it takes "to be a detective on America's most dangerous streets." The pilot is shot documentary-style, from the filmmakers' perspective, and if you think it sounds a little like Southland, you might be right!

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »

A teeny-weeny news nugget about Southland in an interview with a cast member:

EXCLUSIVE: Clifton Collins Jr. Talks The Experiment, Southland and More (April 19)
http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEKNaKNTBSyrOT
Are you guys expecting to hear word on that [if TNT will renew Southland] soon then, either way?

Clifton Collins Jr.: It might even be the end of this week. I know it's in the next week or two, yeah. It keeps getting extended and when you have a show like this, you don't mind waiting as long as you need to wait.
He took over as Detective Lydia Adams' partner in Episode 4-7 of the 7 episodes that aired on TNT, I think.

I think if TNT's putting off a decision, then it's in its favor. Probably they're weighing its lousy ratings against it being a critical success and having fairly passionate fans. While it doesn't need to be a powerhouse on basic cable, its ratings were apparently lousy even against other TNT shows. But if ratings were the only things discussed, they probably already would've announced its cancellation.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:15:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »

It's an early Chrismas miracle... Southland got renewed for a 2nd season!!!!!!!!

'Southland' Renewed: TNT Picks Up 10 New Episodes
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/27/southland-renewed-tnt-pic_n_553272.html
TNT will air another season of "Southland," the Los Angeles-based police drama that the cable network picked up when it was dumped by NBC.

The network said Monday it has ordered 10 new episodes of the series, to air starting next January. It's produced by John Wells, who has "ER" and "The West Wing" on his resume.

NBC dropped the series just before it was to begin a second season in what appeared to be a cost-cutting move. But TNT resurrected it, making six new episodes that have aired this spring.
TNT doesn't have an NBC-size budget, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects the show.

But given that Southland filmed with handheld cameras, and used a lot of location shooting in and around L.A. (not a lot of expensive studio time), they can probably cope with it.

I wouldn't say it got the most ringing endorsement. The Wash. Post TV columnist quoted the TNT programming chief as saying Southland didn't have the worst ratings or the most fantastic ratings, though he has lauded it as innovative. Its meager viewership was the youngest-skewing for a TNT show though, fwiw. Most TNT-original show seasons are maybe 10-13 episodes long, almost like British shows are.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:32:51 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »

ARISE!

Started watching these via Netflix recently.  Finished the first 4 episodes and I'm not that impressed.  It comes across as just another cop procedural.  Does it get better?  Are the first few episodes generally considered mediocre?  Or am I just being too critical or just in the minority for not finding it all that interesting?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 21, 2011, 08:43:18 PM

ARISE!

Started watching these via Netflix recently.  Finished the first 4 episodes and I'm not that impressed.  It comes across as just another cop procedural.  Does it get better?  Are the first few episodes generally considered mediocre?  Or am I just being too critical or just in the minority for not finding it all that interesting?

Keep watching...   The show gets better especially season 2 when it was unchained from NBC and moved to TBS

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 08:49:07 PM »

Cool, thanks!  Ever since I almost gave up on Spartacus after the first few episodes only to see it make a complete 180 and become great tv, I'm a little more willing to give a show a chance if I'm not immediately impressed.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 08:53:02 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 21, 2011, 08:43:18 PM

ARISE!

Started watching these via Netflix recently.  Finished the first 4 episodes and I'm not that impressed.  It comes across as just another cop procedural.  Does it get better?  Are the first few episodes generally considered mediocre?  Or am I just being too critical or just in the minority for not finding it all that interesting?

It is still a cop procedural at heart, but the character interactions and events involving them get better.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »

ya the show is awesome.  Kinda has a shield vibe to it.  I also like Detroit 187.  The dude from Sopranos does a great job playing his character.  He cracks me up with his quirks and sarcasm.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: