http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:15:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [NBC] Community  (Read 4311 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »

I tried watching Whitney once because someone I know tried to compare her to Sarah Silverman. 

She's no Sarah Silverman.  Sarah Lee is funnier.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »

Dear god.

3 episodes.

Watching the first right now, but it's amazing.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

What a fantastic end to the season.  All 3 made for some great TV, although the video game episode stole the entire evening.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 18, 2012, 06:45:04 PM

What a fantastic end to the season.  All 3 made for some great TV, although the video game episode stole the entire evening.

That's the only one my stupid DVR decided to record.  Loved it, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »

Will be watching with the wife tonight  icon_biggrin
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »

Aaand Dan Harmon was apparently fired from the show by Sony (and his own blog reply also quoted below):

Spoiler for Hiden:
HEY, DID I MISS ANYTHING?

Kids:

A few hours ago, I landed in Los Angeles, turned on my phone, and confirmed what you already know.  Sony Pictures Television is replacing me as showrunner on Community, with two seasoned fellows that Iím sure are quite nice - actually, I have it on good authority theyíre quite nice, because they once created a show and cast my good friend Jeff Davis on it, so how bad can they be.

Whyíd Sony want me gone?  I canít answer that because Iíve been in as much contact with them as you have.  They literally havenít called me since the season four pickup, so their reasons for replacing me are clearly none of my business.  Community is their property, I only own ten percent of it, and I kind of donít want to hear what their complaints are because Iím sure it would hurt my feelings even more now that Iíd be listening for free.

I do want to correct a couple points of spin, now that Iím free to do so:

The important one is this quote from Bob Greenblatt in which he says heís sure Iím going to be involved somehow, something like that.  Thatís a misquote.  I think he meant to say heís sure cookies are yummy, because heís never called me once in the entire duration of his employment at NBC.  He didnít call me to say he was starting to work there, he didnít call me to say I was no longer working there and he definitely didnít call to ask if I was going to be involved.  Iím not saying itís wrong for him to have bigger fish to fry, Iím just saying, NBC is not a credible source of All News Dan Harmon.

You may have read that I am technically ďsigned on,Ē by default, to be an executive consulting something or other - which is a relatively standard protective clause for a creator in my position.  Guys like me canít actually just be shot and left in a ditch by Skynet, weíre still allowed to have a title on the things we create and ďhelp out,Ē like, I guess sharpening pencils and stuff.  

However, if I actually chose to go to the office, I wouldnít have any power there.  Nobody would have to do anything I said, ever.  I would be ďofferingĒ thoughts on other peopleís scripts, not allowed to rewrite them, not allowed to ask anyone else to rewrite them, not allowed to say whether a single joke was funny or go near the edit bay, etc.  ItísÖ.not really the way the previous episodes got done.  I was what you might call aÖ.hands on producer.  Are myÖ.periods giving this enoughÖ.pointedness?  Iím not saying you canít make a good version of Community without me, but I am definitely saying that you canít make my version of it unless I have the option of saying ďit has to be like this or I quitĒ roughly 8 times a day.
The same contract also gives me the same salary and title if I spend all day masturbating and playing Prototype 2.  And before you ask yourself what you would do in my situation: buy Prototype 2.  Itís fucking great.

Because Prototype 2 is great, and because nobody called me, and then started hiring people to run the show, I had my assistant start packing up my office days ago.  Iím sorry.  Iím not saying seasons 1, 2 and 3 were my definition of perfect television, Iím just saying that whatever theyíre going to do for season 4, theyíre aiming to do without my help.  So do not believe anyone that tells you on Monday that I quit or diminished my role so I could spend more time with my loved ones, or that I negotiated and we couldnít come to an agreement, etc.  It couldnít be less true because, just to make this clear, literally nobody called me.  Also donít believe anyone that says I have sex with animals.  And if thereís a photo of me doing it with an animal - Iím not saying one exists, Iím just saying, if one surfaces - itís a fake.  Look at the shadow.  Why would it be in front of the giraffe if the sun is behind the jeep?

Where was I?  Oh yeah.  Iím not running Community for season 4.  They replaced me.  Themís the facts.

When I was a kid, sometimes Iíd run home to Mommy with a bloody nose and say, ďMom, my friends beat me up,Ē and my Mom would say ďwell then theyíre not worth having as friends, are they?Ē  At the time, I figured she was just trying to put a postive spin on having birthed an unpopular pussy.  But this is, after all, the same lady that bought me my first typewriter.  Then later, a Commodore 64.  And later, a 300 baud modem for it.  Through which I met new friends that did like me much, much more.

Iím 39, now.  The friends my Mom warned me about are bigger now, and older, bloodying my nose with old world numbers, and old world tactics, like, oh, I donít know, sending out press releases to TV Guide at 7pm on a Friday.

But my Commodore 64 is mobile now, like yours, and the modems are invisible, and the internet is the air all around us.  And the good friends, the real friends, are finding each other, and connecting with each other, and my Mom is turning out to be more right than ever.

Ah, shit, I still havenít called my fucking Mom.  

Mom, Happy Motherís Day.  I got fired.  

Yes, Mom.  AGAIN.

I guess it isn't any wonder why they shoved out 3 Community episodes at once, only signed on the next season for 13 episodes, and pushed it to Fridays with Whitney.   disgust
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:30:38 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 08:24:43 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 19, 2012, 05:56:53 PM

Aaand Dan Harmon was apparently fired from the show by Sony (and his own blog reply also quoted below):

Spoiler for Hiden:
HEY, DID I MISS ANYTHING?

Kids:

A few hours ago, I landed in Los Angeles, turned on my phone, and confirmed what you already know.  Sony Pictures Television is replacing me as showrunner on Community, with two seasoned fellows that Iím sure are quite nice - actually, I have it on good authority theyíre quite nice, because they once created a show and cast my good friend Jeff Davis on it, so how bad can they be.

Whyíd Sony want me gone?  I canít answer that because Iíve been in as much contact with them as you have.  They literally havenít called me since the season four pickup, so their reasons for replacing me are clearly none of my business.  Community is their property, I only own ten percent of it, and I kind of donít want to hear what their complaints are because Iím sure it would hurt my feelings even more now that Iíd be listening for free.

I do want to correct a couple points of spin, now that Iím free to do so:

The important one is this quote from Bob Greenblatt in which he says heís sure Iím going to be involved somehow, something like that.  Thatís a misquote.  I think he meant to say heís sure cookies are yummy, because heís never called me once in the entire duration of his employment at NBC.  He didnít call me to say he was starting to work there, he didnít call me to say I was no longer working there and he definitely didnít call to ask if I was going to be involved.  Iím not saying itís wrong for him to have bigger fish to fry, Iím just saying, NBC is not a credible source of All News Dan Harmon.

You may have read that I am technically ďsigned on,Ē by default, to be an executive consulting something or other - which is a relatively standard protective clause for a creator in my position.  Guys like me canít actually just be shot and left in a ditch by Skynet, weíre still allowed to have a title on the things we create and ďhelp out,Ē like, I guess sharpening pencils and stuff.  

However, if I actually chose to go to the office, I wouldnít have any power there.  Nobody would have to do anything I said, ever.  I would be ďofferingĒ thoughts on other peopleís scripts, not allowed to rewrite them, not allowed to ask anyone else to rewrite them, not allowed to say whether a single joke was funny or go near the edit bay, etc.  ItísÖ.not really the way the previous episodes got done.  I was what you might call aÖ.hands on producer.  Are myÖ.periods giving this enoughÖ.pointedness?  Iím not saying you canít make a good version of Community without me, but I am definitely saying that you canít make my version of it unless I have the option of saying ďit has to be like this or I quitĒ roughly 8 times a day.
The same contract also gives me the same salary and title if I spend all day masturbating and playing Prototype 2.  And before you ask yourself what you would do in my situation: buy Prototype 2.  Itís fucking great.

Because Prototype 2 is great, and because nobody called me, and then started hiring people to run the show, I had my assistant start packing up my office days ago.  Iím sorry.  Iím not saying seasons 1, 2 and 3 were my definition of perfect television, Iím just saying that whatever theyíre going to do for season 4, theyíre aiming to do without my help.  So do not believe anyone that tells you on Monday that I quit or diminished my role so I could spend more time with my loved ones, or that I negotiated and we couldnít come to an agreement, etc.  It couldnít be less true because, just to make this clear, literally nobody called me.  Also donít believe anyone that says I have sex with animals.  And if thereís a photo of me doing it with an animal - Iím not saying one exists, Iím just saying, if one surfaces - itís a fake.  Look at the shadow.  Why would it be in front of the giraffe if the sun is behind the jeep?

Where was I?  Oh yeah.  Iím not running Community for season 4.  They replaced me.  Themís the facts.

When I was a kid, sometimes Iíd run home to Mommy with a bloody nose and say, ďMom, my friends beat me up,Ē and my Mom would say ďwell then theyíre not worth having as friends, are they?Ē  At the time, I figured she was just trying to put a postive spin on having birthed an unpopular pussy.  But this is, after all, the same lady that bought me my first typewriter.  Then later, a Commodore 64.  And later, a 300 baud modem for it.  Through which I met new friends that did like me much, much more.

Iím 39, now.  The friends my Mom warned me about are bigger now, and older, bloodying my nose with old world numbers, and old world tactics, like, oh, I donít know, sending out press releases to TV Guide at 7pm on a Friday.

But my Commodore 64 is mobile now, like yours, and the modems are invisible, and the internet is the air all around us.  And the good friends, the real friends, are finding each other, and connecting with each other, and my Mom is turning out to be more right than ever.

Ah, shit, I still havenít called my fucking Mom.  

Mom, Happy Motherís Day.  I got fired.  

Yes, Mom.  AGAIN.

I guess it isn't any wonder why they shoved out 3 Community episodes at once, only signed on the next season for 13 episodes, and pushed it to Fridays with Whitney.   disgust

They really should have just put it out of its misery.

That sucks.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2012, 08:51:18 PM »

Bummer.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »

Not that NBC execs aren't total douches in this scenario for the way this was all handled, but this guy doesn't seem to be able to work too well with others, and not just Chevy. Reading articles about him, he doesn't sound very together.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 01:50:16 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on May 19, 2012, 11:01:13 PM

Not that NBC execs aren't total douches in this scenario for the way this was all handled, but this guy doesn't seem to be able to work too well with others, and not just Chevy. Reading articles about him, he doesn't sound very together.

Yeah, I think he is pretty open about the fact that he sucks at managing people.  Regardless, he was the creator of the series so without him it wouldn't exist, especially in the form we all like.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »

It seems like it was Sony who made the call, not NBC. Sony owns the show.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »

You're right, I had a brain fart.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2012, 09:45:11 PM »

Yeah, surprisingly, NBC has been pretty cool with Community. It's gotten horrible ratings for years, and yet they've kept it in its time slot, very patient with it, hoping it'll take off, just like they were with The Office, 30 Rock and Parks & Rec.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on May 20, 2012, 09:45:11 PM

Yeah, surprisingly, NBC has been pretty cool with Community. It's gotten horrible ratings for years, and yet they've kept it in its time slot, very patient with it, hoping it'll take off, just like they were with The Office, 30 Rock and Parks & Rec.

Well, except for keeping it off the schedule this year until deciding later to put it on mid-season with a 13 ep pick up, and then pulling the same for next year, but also dumping it into the Friday night death slot. 

And, you know, letting the guy who created it and is very hands-on (Harmon is the show, essentially) get stomped all over.

The Hollywood Reporter just blasted NBC, saying they basically Britta'd the whole situation: Why Firing Dan Harmon From 'Community' Was Stupid And Very NBC

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 12:30:48 AM »

Wow. Good article. Well, I stand corrected. This is the darkest timeline, I guess.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 04:39:56 AM »

bye bye Chevy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2012, 04:39:56 AM

Leave it to Chevy to walk away from the best thing that happened to him in many years. I hear he's a major tool in real life. Sounds like the rumors about that are true.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 22, 2012, 04:13:48 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2012, 04:39:56 AM

Leave it to Chevy to walk away from the best thing that happened to him in many years. I hear he's a major tool in real life. Sounds like the rumors about that are true.

That's my take, too.

And let's not forget that he also had a hand in destroying the show before leaving it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »

This show makes me sad now.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 23, 2013, 03:25:46 PM

This. I've only watched the first two episodes this season, but it's a shell of what it used to be.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on February 25, 2013, 11:47:34 AM

This. I've only watched the first two episodes this season, but it's a shell of what it used to be.

The actors all seem like they feel trapped, too.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 25, 2013, 01:08:01 PM

Quote from: msteelers on February 25, 2013, 11:47:34 AM

The actors all seem like they feel trapped, too.

Yep add me to the list of disappointed fans.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »

Here was my take on the new season post Harmon (originally posted on OO):

I think I figured out what is missing for me.

When Harmon was in control of the show, I would often rewind numerous times during the show to catch the littlest of things. Small easter eggs that he would embed in scenes as nods to fans and nerds alike.

Last night would've been a constant rewind fest had Harmon been involved. But I rewound only once because I thought I saw something...and it turned out to be nothing.

The attention to detail is what's missing in my opinion. It's gone from being a show that you really have to pay attention to, to a show that you can just listen to most of the time. frown

Also, the romance subplots feel REALLY forced and out of place...as if the scripts were being passed through a focus group as ironically shown in last night's episode.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »

The focus group moment did seem like a nod to what had happened, but who would have made that nod?  Writers, I guess, but given the rest of the show, that seems like giving them way too much credit.

There was a poster at the convention.  I don't remember what it was now, but I remember seeing some sort of word on it and thinking that it would have been something clever in the old days, but it was just limp here.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »

Sigh of relief.

Hooray!  The "gas leak year" is over.  Even Pierce made it back, sort of (which was kind of remarkable).  The show is back on track and hilarious again.

Not ten minutes into the show I had to pause as something struck me as so goddamned funny I couldn't hear anything else going on for a solid minute.

It will undoubtedly not seem as funny now, but it was Britta saying this: "That's like blaming owls because I suck at analogies."

They took a while before coming at the bad year.  But then they did, rightly pointing out how all the characters had gotten off track and made fun of Scrubs Season 9 (the school year) in the process (Braff popped in for a VO cameo at the end, which was nice).

Second episode was also good, although I thought Abed went a little off the rails with the Cage impression.

I dropped Community entirely about 3 or 4 episodes into last season, and I know they're picking up shortly after the last season wrapped, but I don't feel like I missed anything.  And I'm excited to have it back in good form.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »

I'm about to watch this show contiguously.

Worth it?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »

Aside from last season, absolutely.  Super funny and smart.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 03, 2014, 04:20:40 PM

I'm about to watch this show contiguously.

Worth it?

Except for last season, yes.

However, know that it takes a while for the show to find its footing.  More so than a lot of shows, in fact.  

As an example, Britta was one of the most annoying characters I've ever encountered early on (my wife essentially stopped watching because of her).  Then, mid-way through the first season, the other characters started talking about how annoying Britta was.  Then they started ramping up her annoyances for comedic effect.  

A lot of the show is like this.  They threw a bunch of characters together then slowly started figuring out how all the pieces work together.  Once they honed in on those things and tweaked them, it became a whole new show.  The first handful of episodes are typical NBC Filler Sitcom fare (the stuff that gets forced on you between the shows you actually want to watch).  Then they start turning it on its ear and brilliance ensues.

By the time you get to the missing pen episode, you'll be hooked.

Then you'll get to the season where Harmon left, and you'll shake your head in disbelief.  Tears will come.

Hopefully the new season will continue with the tradition set by the previous seasons. So far so good.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2014, 12:12:51 AM »

Watched the new eps, and while they haven't quite cranked back up to the level they were at pre-Harmon hiatus, it's headed in the right direction and I was relieved to see it.  Enjoyed.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2014, 10:20:20 AM »

Loved this latest episode, even though most of it flew over my head. Their lampooning of weird investigation drama was spot on.

What show did they start with that had red and white opening credits text?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »

My wife says the first bit was Scandal.

There was definitely some reference to The Killing.

Really, really great episode.  Right back where the show should be!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »

Yeah, they were referencing a lot.  The grocery bag drop was straight from Se7en, for example.  Apparently, Annie referenced the Ass Crack Bandit in a campaign speech back in season 2, so they're even referencing themselves!

My guess for ACB:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Jeffrey

Loved this episode, too.  Very excited to have this back.

Fun Fact for last night: The botany teacher was a bewigged Ben Folds.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »

The Pierce "wake" may have been one of the best episodes ever.  The dialogue was fantastic.  I know Harmon doesn't write every word of every script, but his guidance can be seen in every episode in which he's involved.  As we discovered last season, without him the show lacks any real soul (or depth).

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:56 AM »

IT'S A BEAR DANCE!

One of the big changes with Harmon back (and any well run show) is that the dialog gets really snappy. Actors talk quickly, one after another where appropriate, and vary it dramatically, or in this case, for comedic effect. It also helps mesh characters together better with how and why they interrupt each other. The previous episodes without Harmon all the dialog slowed down, as if the actors were talking to imbeciles, and they didn't really talk over each other as much. It's the kind of writing and directing that happens with generic TV.

Again, Harmon probably isn't directing every episode, but that tone from the top is putting people who can keep that pace going in the right places.

I posted this in the Agents of SHIELD thread, but that lack of pacing can be killer.

Anyway, so this last episode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Book girl from the coat closet! So hot. What episode was she from?

The deaf girl and the spoiler rivalry. I love how they reference Abed's penchant for somehow getting close to these women.

Annie's descent into the campus politics quagmire. So many fun plots.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2014, 01:24:06 PM »

What I love, too, is how they can create a running joke out of nothing.  Case in point, that big, nerdy guy has now been used several times for panic-inducing screams (like Bear Dance).  Not necessarily funny on its own, but it builds over time.

I also love when Community pokes fun at itself (Britta commenting on another girl that Abed will get intense about for a week who is never seen again).

Also, Fillion FTW.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »

While I laughed more than once, I have to wonder why Fillion wasn't used more.  If you get a Fillion, use the Fillion for more than a couple of scenes, dagnabit!  I would've loved to see him interact with Abed and especially Winger.  I'm guessing it was a scheduling issue with Fillion's other show.

For some reason, I found Annie yelling "I MEAN EVERYTHING!" to the IT lady hilarious. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »

Someone on another forum just posted this from last night's episode.

icon_lol

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »

crybaby crybaby crybaby

Goodbye Community.

2009 - 2014

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2014, 12:33:35 AM »

Guess it was officially cancelled?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2014, 02:39:56 AM »

Yup.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.