http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 12:37:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [music] Spotify  (Read 762 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »

So, anyone try this? How is it? Do you have any extra invites? If so, can you send one to rceleita @ gmail.com? biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:11:54 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 20, 2011, 01:06:14 PM

Do you have any extra invites? If so, can you send one to rceleita @ gmail.com? biggrin

no, but I can send something else  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 20, 2011, 01:06:14 PM

So, anyone try this? How is it? Do you have any extra invites? If so, can you send one to rceleita @ gmail.com? biggrin

Is that like Depends? Preventing spotiness?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »

I was one of the day one US people for some reason and love the service.  It took me about 4 hours of use to decide to subscribe for the Premium.  It's fantastic.  I don't think it'll replace me buying some of my favorite bands' albums, but it's still worth the $10/mo.

Unfortunately I handed out all of the invites I did have, but I'll post here if they refresh me with any more anytime soon.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 20, 2011, 06:45:06 PM

I was one of the day one US people for some reason and love the service.  It took me about 4 hours of use to decide to subscribe for the Premium.  It's fantastic.  I don't think it'll replace me buying some of my favorite bands' albums, but it's still worth the $10/mo.

Unfortunately I handed out all of the invites I did have, but I'll post here if they refresh me with any more anytime soon.

I got in, and so far it's pretty cool, though I can't really see a difference between this and something like grooveshark, though Apple doesn't allow the grooveshark app in the app store...  icon_confused
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 20, 2011, 07:50:19 PM

I got in, and so far it's pretty cool, though I can't really see a difference between this and something like grooveshark, though Apple doesn't allow the grooveshark app in the app store...  icon_confused

Well, primarily it's that Spotify did All The Right Things (tm) when it comes to licensing with the music industry.  Grooveshark... does not.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 20, 2011, 08:33:08 PM

Quote from: rickfc on July 20, 2011, 07:50:19 PM

Well, primarily it's that Spotify did All The Right Things (tm) when it comes to licensing with the music industry.  Grooveshark... does not.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I was wondering what I was missing about Spotify. I was thinking there was a feature I hadn't yet found or something...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:22 AM »

well, I got an invite.  created an account, downloaded it..... not sure what I'm supposed to do.  so this is just like Pandora?

Because I can,
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:36:35 AM »

I've been in for about a week (however I keep checking my account and it's never given me the ability to invite someone else yet).

It's growing on me. It's got a couple small bugs, but overall the experience is decent and the music selection is really good.

Not sure it's good enough to justify paying for it yet though (but that may be because I don't tend to buy a lot of songs per month)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »

For anyone who needs invites, I've got nearly 30 of them. Just send me a PM (and include your email address. This is important!) and I'll send an invite your way. It might take up to 24 hours though, since I'm on vacation and only get access to the Internet once a day.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 03:46:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 21, 2011, 03:32:22 AM

well, I got an invite.  created an account, downloaded it..... not sure what I'm supposed to do.  so this is just like Pandora?

Maybe read some directions?  Or type in some songs or artists.  This ain't rocket science.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on July 21, 2011, 03:36:35 AM

Not sure it's good enough to justify paying for it yet though (but that may be because I don't tend to buy a lot of songs per month)

once I figured out that it was also pulling from my own MP3 library I found that I already had most of the music I was searching for, so I'm also at the 'can't justify paying for it' point myself.  I did find some oddball covers though, and played around with making a playlist.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »

I just got in and I don't understand how you guys can be underwhelmed.  I typed in a song I wanted to listen to and then I got to start listening to it.  I then typed in an album I wanted to listen to and then I got to start listening to the album.  I then queued up another album to play after that one.  I don't own any of these songs or albums, and I haven't paid a cent to Spotify.

This is like something made by a wizard.  How is it possible that this service is legal?  And that there haven't been any deaths at Spotify HQ with mysterious circumstances tenuously linked to the music industry?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 21, 2011, 08:20:06 PM

I just got in and I don't understand how you guys can be underwhelmed.  I typed in a song I wanted to listen to and then I got to start listening to it.  I then typed in an album I wanted to listen to and then I got to start listening to the album.  I then queued up another album to play after that one.  I don't own any of these songs or albums, and I haven't paid a cent to Spotify.

This is like something made by a wizard.  How is it possible that this service is legal?  And that there haven't been any deaths at Spotify HQ with mysterious circumstances tenuously linked to the music industry?

I'm not underwhelmed by it, but Grooveshark already offers a very similar service, though as gellar mentioned, without all the proper licenses, etc...
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 08:33:49 PM »

I'm trying to like it but so far MOG is winning with a better library (for me) and a nicer, more organized IOS app.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 21, 2011, 08:25:47 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 21, 2011, 08:20:06 PM

I'm not underwhelmed by it, but Grooveshark already offers a very similar service, though as gellar mentioned, without all the proper licenses, etc...

Yeah, the fact that Grooveshark exists and I used that long before Spotify really removes some excitement.  Also the fact that if I really want to listen to a specific album I already own it and can access it from Google Music now, so there isn't much draw here.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »

Uh, wow. This is crazy good. I can type in an artist, genre, whatever, and just start playing. It sounds great, it's high quality (I looked for songs that weren't on my HD for sure), and there's a TON of music on here.

Slacker Radio (my previous go-to for music) offers some of the features (genre selection anyhow, and offline downloading of music if you have a sub, and if you pay more you get specific albums to choose from and listen), but its selection of music doesn't seem to be anywhere near as vast as this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 01:45:28 AM »

Yeah, as a person who regularly spends probably $30 a month on music, but then only ever tends to listen to portions of it... this is basically perfect for me. No matter what mood I'm in musically it's got me covered. I've tried Pandora and a few other sort-of-competitors for this, but none have ever just worked as well the way I want them to.

Sold.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 01:57:56 AM »

I want Spotify and Pandora to have a baby, though.  Pandora helps me find new things to listen to, or presents things to me if I only know the type of music I'm in the mood for.  If I want to hear more from a specific artist, though, or of course want a specific song, Pandora fails.  Spotify can do that, but it lacks the recommendation engine.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »

I'm back from vacation now, so invites will be sent out much quicker after anyone PMs me. Don't be shy. I've still got 27 invites left. smile
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »

thanks TilLT

looks pretty awesome.   I don't think I would do the paid service though, the free version is good enough for me.  It had almost everything I searched for, sounds good and nice interface.  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »

Frustratingly I have yet to get any invitations to give out I am totally confused as to why.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 26, 2011, 02:05:42 PM

Frustratingly I have yet to get any invitations to give out I am totally confused as to why.

ditto, none here either.  I was wondering if it's tied into subscribers to your playlists or how long you've used the application (which for me hasn't been very long), but haven't bothered to do any digging into the matter.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 02:41:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2011, 02:13:19 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on July 26, 2011, 02:05:42 PM

ditto, none here either.  I was wondering if it's tied into subscribers to your playlists or how long you've used the application (which for me hasn't been very long), but haven't bothered to do any digging into the matter.

I think paid members get a certain amount of invitations per month (2 IIRC). I've been a paid member for about 2 years now I think, so I had a bunch stored up.

If you like Spotify, please consider subscribing to it. It costs almost nothing compared to what you can get out of it (having access to a huge amount of music while at work or anywhere else you choose to be, streaming through your cell phone, better sound quality, etc) and it supports this kind of thing. Spotify can't survive if everyone's a free user.

As for the free user thing, I'm a bit surprised it's so unrestricted over there. We had it like that for a while too, but right now you only get to stream a certain amount of music per month, and only a certain amount of repetitions of the same song. This is in response to a too large amount of free users compared to what had been expected.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »

Thanks to TiLt for the invite.   Its a pretty interesting service.  I'm leaning toward subscribing for a month to try it out on the iphone.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 05:26:25 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on July 28, 2011, 03:16:49 AM

Thanks to TiLt for the invite.   Its a pretty interesting service.  I'm leaning toward subscribing for a month to try it out on the iphone.

I think I would sub up and really like it if I could do something like with Google Music and have it auto make a playlist, or if they team up with pandora and it would build a playlist of random music of the same type. That would be a huge selling point for me anyway. In either case Spotify is awesome though.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 28, 2011, 05:26:25 AM

I think I would sub up and really like it if I could do something like with Google Music and have it auto make a playlist, or if they team up with pandora and it would build a playlist of random music of the same type. That would be a huge selling point for me anyway. In either case Spotify is awesome though.

Spotify allows you to share playlists, so all you have to do is Google a bit and you should find hundreds of playlists with music you might like.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 03:55:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 28, 2011, 08:26:22 AM

Quote from: SkyLander on July 28, 2011, 05:26:25 AM

Spotify allows you to share playlists, so all you have to do is Google a bit and you should find hundreds of playlists with music you might like.

Yeah, this is probably my 'why don't they do this?' part of Spotify.  There are great playlists on the web, but it's not inherent to the product to find them.  This is especially a shortcoming of the mobile versions.

The only thing I miss from iTunes is the ability for Genius to make a playlist for me.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »

i've been trying these out to make playlists

http://www.spotiseek.com/

http://spotibot.com/
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »

OK weird... there's now a 'Artist Radio' tab on the desktop app that I didn't notice last week.  Did they just add this?  Cause it's awesome.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 11:09:20 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 29, 2011, 09:59:31 PM

OK weird... there's now a 'Artist Radio' tab on the desktop app that I didn't notice last week.  Did they just add this?  Cause it's awesome.

I've seen this pop up a few times but can't figure out the rhyme or reason.  I guess it's only available for certain bands.

Edit: Actually they might have it for everyone.  I was looking in a playlist that I had named for the artist, so it wasn't showing up there. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:40:50 AM by kathode » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 04:10:25 AM »

The Artist radio thing is indeed a recent addition to the US client. It's been there for a long time for the europeans, but the US client is still a ways behind as far as features.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: