http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 02:02:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Music] Pandora keeps Hope in the box  (Read 1303 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:19:33 PM »

I just noticed this when I brought up Pandora on my iPhone.  Best Buy and Beck's will be advertising through the mobile version for 30 days each.  Hitting the add will take you to the Best Buy website without interrupting the music.  There's a banner right above the control bar.  It has a marker to kill the ad, but it pops back up as soon as a new song starts. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:50:43 PM »

Nice!  I'll hit the ad for sure.  Pandora is a must-have app.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »

News from PC Magazine:

After two years of debate, Internet radio stations have finally reached a deal with copyright holders regarding royalty rates.  The price of the deal, however, will force Web radio station Pandora to limit the amount of free listening available each month, according to founder Tim Westergren.
The revised royalty rates, however, are "quite high" and will force Pandora to make some adjustments, he said. Users will now be limited to 40 hours of free listening per month. Those who go over 40 hours will be given the option to receive unlimited access for the remainder of the month for 99 cents. They can also upgrade to the subscription-based Pandora One.

"In essence, we're asking our heaviest users to put a dollar (well, almost a dollar) in the tip jar in any month in which they listen over 40 hours. We hope this is relatively painless and affordable--the same price as a single song download," Westergren wrote.

I've been pondering the Pandora One service for a while.  It suppresses the ads and opens up the time before the nag window comes up from one hour to five on the browser version.  And while it's not as cheap as $.99 per month, it is only $3/mo for a full year ($36).

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »

I can see paying an extra dollar a month.  Of course that would depend on whether or not there's a way to prevent Lonestar songs from butting into my station. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »

Q: How do I ban an artist from a station?

Just give a "Thumbs Down" vote to any two songs by that artist on a particular station. However, the artist will not be banned, even with two "Thumbs Down" votes on one station under either of the following conditions:

* If at any time you gave a song by this artist a "Thumbs Up" vote on this station.

* If that artist was used to define that station.

Note: for more information on how to edit a station (remove an artist from your station's definition, or remove a song previously given "Thumbs Up"), please see:
http://blog.pandora.com/faq/#67

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »

Well, that bites - Pandora is like the #1 app (and then some) on the Sprint Pre. As of right now, there's no nag screen or anything, but the software hasn't been updated recently either.

Stupid music companies.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »

I have been using Slacker more and more, rather than Pandora or last.fm.  I have more control over the stations, both on the desktop and iPhone versions.  I don't mind listening to a couple of ads every once in a while to keep things free.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 04:29:43 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 07, 2009, 09:37:49 PM

Well, that bites - Pandora is like the #1 app (and then some) on the Sprint Pre. As of right now, there's no nag screen or anything, but the software hasn't been updated recently either.

Stupid music companies.

There's not one in the iPhone version either, just the web browser version, afaik.  I get banner ads that pop and refresh at every song.  They are relatively unobtrusive.  That, of course, may change to include the audio versions in the future with the new model, but again, I plan on rewarding Pandora.  And for about the price of a bargain video game per year, I can certainly afford it.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »

I've switched from Pandora to last.fm I like this site as I don't get as many repeats. Only downside is sometimes I'll get some Balkan bands when I'm listening to hip-hop

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 08, 2009, 04:29:43 AM

There's not one in the iPhone version either, just the web browser version, afaik.

Actually, there is an iPhone Pandora app
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 08, 2009, 02:45:37 PM

There's not one in the iPhone version either, just the web browser version, afaik.

I was actually referring to the nag screen from Destructor's post.  The iPhone app is the only way I can get through my workday.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 08, 2009, 02:48:33 PM

Quote from: rickfc on July 08, 2009, 02:45:37 PM

I was actually referring to the nag screen from Destructor's post.  The iPhone app is the only way I can get through my workday.

oh...reading comprehension no es my friend...  Tongue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 07, 2009, 10:08:21 PM

I have been using Slacker more and more, rather than Pandora or last.fm.  I have more control over the stations, both on the desktop and iPhone versions.  I don't mind listening to a couple of ads every once in a while to keep things free.

True - at work, I listen to Slacker all the time (as I have a 'net connection that allows me access). On the road, my only options are Pandora (via my Pre) or Sirius Radio (I could've sworn my account was canned, but I can still connect to it...).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »

Pandora on the iphone has been really bad for me lately.  I hear the same songs every day and artists that I give a thumbs down to constantly always seem to appear playing the same song I gave a thumbs down to.  I'm going to try slacker today.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 06:44:22 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on July 08, 2009, 03:53:26 PM

Pandora on the iphone has been really bad for me lately.  I hear the same songs every day and artists that I give a thumbs down to constantly always seem to appear playing the same song I gave a thumbs down to.  I'm going to try slacker today.

That's been happening to me as well.  I have given the same few artists thumbs down every time they show up and inevitably they pop up again.  It's as if they are some payola babies trying to work their way into my lists.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »

I used Slacker Radio all day yesterday and I enjoyed the mix of music much more.  Definitely ok with the small commercial breaks.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 06:03:44 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on July 09, 2009, 05:06:36 PM

I used Slacker Radio all day yesterday and I enjoyed the mix of music much more.  Definitely ok with the small commercial breaks.

They have an awesome iPhone app as well.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 09, 2009, 06:03:44 PM

That's what I'm using smile  Love it!

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on July 09, 2009, 06:54:01 PM

Quote from: rickfc on July 09, 2009, 06:03:44 PM

That's what I'm using smile  Love it!

oh, here I thought you were streaming over the webz... silly me
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 04:13:39 AM »

You might want to check the account link next time you pull up Pandora.  I was marked as having 29 hours left of my 40 for this month.  Looks like they've implemented the solution to the royalty issues and you'll be expected to pay $.99 to go to unlimited every month.  As much as I use it to get through work, I went ahead and sprung for the $36/year Pandora One solution.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 05:14:15 AM »

i'll have to try slacker for music.  i swear i only hear the same artists and songs in a very small loop.  it's as if i only have 5 cd's worth of music to listen to at a time.  to make it worse, the last.fm app doesn't work for me.  can't log in with the damn thing at all.  possibly a firewall/permissions issue but i need to check it outside of work on a clear wi fi connection. 

last week it kept throwing in songs which had no place in the genre, like a 70's soft rock song in a hard rock channel. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 02:19:40 PM »

I tried Slacker a couple weeks ago, seeded with an artist that I have the same under Pandora, and didn't care for almost all of the songs that it chose.  I don't have those issues with Pandora. YMMV.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: