http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movies]Wall-E Impressions  (Read 5904 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 29, 2008, 02:23:07 PM

This is one of Pixar's best.   I thought last year's Ratatouille was an extreme disappointment.    Everyone on the forums and critics raved about it, but it didn't feel at all like a Pixar movie to me -- and was boring.    My family hasn't even watched it more than 3 times.

The other Pixar movies, on the other hand, we've watched a hundred times each.    There is usually a Pixar movie playing in the background of our house at all times -- with kids and all.      I can still...after surely hundreds of times -- watch Cars.

Anyway..that being said:   Wall-E will rank among my favorites.    The Pixar magic returns in this one.

Finally, someone that I can trust.  We hated Ratatouille.  I think I'm still going to wait for DVD though.  Too many movies this summer as it is.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »

I was a bit disappointed with Ratatouille when I saw it in the theater (just didn't think it was quite up to the reviews), but it's really grown on my now that I've watched the DVD a few times.  It's nowhere near The Incredibles, but is still a wonderful film.

I'm dying to see Wall-E, and am hoping to get out this week.   Even just the previews put a huge smile on my face.

The Myoclonic Jerk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »

I really enjoyed Ratatouille. Cars and Finding Nemo I found tedious, though. But I've definitely always considered Pixar to be superior to other animation companies. If only they could jam all the creativity of their shorts into their feature-length films.

That said, I enjoyed Wall-E immensely from an adult perspective, and give it a strong recommendation. There were elements of the plot I didn't care for (see spoiler box below), but all in all it was a fantastically realized story. While most Pixar films seem to aim for a mark above being merely children's entertainment, this is the only one in my opinion that might actually have hit it. And while any film so produced fails to feel fresh, this one has enough personality that it doesn't nearly seem stale.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I much preferred the silent-film "first half" to the environmentalist-adventure second. While the entire film is packed full of imagination and spectacle from beginning to end, it was difficult for me to dismiss the overbearing (but seamlessly interwoven) theme as mere science fiction. That doesn't mean that it wasn't still a wonderful story; I delighted in enjoying the plot from the robots' perspective. But the "message" often felt pushy. Or perhaps I'm just over-sensitive as a result of hearing "carbon footprint" eleven thousand times every time I switch on the news. Not that it isn't important to raise environmental awareness; I just prefer that it doesn't happen as part of an inspiring fantasy film. That said, it's entirely tolerable. It just nags in the back of the mind, throughout. But I suppose we couldn't have had this story without that plot point. It's just that environmental devastation is quickly becoming this generation's "atomic threat". Though I concede that the future will likely show us this one was worth worrying about.

Formerly known as Sudy Nym.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »

Quote from: The Myoclonic Jerk on June 29, 2008, 03:45:21 PM

I really enjoyed Ratatouille. Cars and Finding Nemo I found tedious, though. But I've definitely always considered Pixar to be superior to other animation companies. If only they could jam all the creativity of their shorts into their feature-length films.

That said, I enjoyed Wall-E immensely from an adult perspective, and give it a strong recommendation. There were elements of the plot I didn't care for (see spoiler box below), but all in all it was a fantastically realized story. While most Pixar films seem to aim for a mark above being merely children's entertainment, this is the only one in my opinion that might actually have hit it. And while any film so produced fails to feel fresh, this one has enough personality that it doesn't nearly seem stale.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I much preferred the silent-film "first half" to the environmentalist-adventure second. While the entire film is packed full of imagination and spectacle from beginning to end, it was difficult for me to dismiss the overbearing (but seamlessly interwoven) theme as mere science fiction. That doesn't mean that it wasn't still a wonderful story; I delighted in enjoying the plot from the robots' perspective. But the "message" often felt pushy. Or perhaps I'm just over-sensitive as a result of hearing "carbon footprint" eleven thousand times every time I switch on the news. Not that it isn't important to raise environmental awareness; I just prefer that it doesn't happen as part of an inspiring fantasy film. That said, it's entirely tolerable. It just nags in the back of the mind, throughout. But I suppose we couldn't have had this story without that plot point. It's just that environmental devastation is quickly becoming this generation's "atomic threat". Though I concede that the future will likely show us this one was worth worrying about.

We are opposites.   I loved Finding Nemo -- what I consider to be their best work -- and Cars (which I think on the surface looked like just a kid movie but was MUCH more funny on many many levels than most people realize upon further viewing).      However we both immensely enjoyed this movie.    I think that might mean they have something special here?
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 28, 2008, 01:29:07 PM

You're right; "superficial" was a poorly chosen word. I should have said "simplistic". Simplicity is a good thing in a children's movie...it's just not an approach that appeals to me. From the reviews I read, I gather that WALL-E is more nuanced, and thus something that I'm more likely to enjoy. I should add that I haven't seen Ratatoulle or Cars, so maybe those had the layers of complexity that tickle my tortured soul.  icon_wink

Ironrod, Ratatouille fits your criteria the most out of any Pixar movie in my opinion. You should give it a shot - it's awesome. Cars, not so much.
The Myoclonic Jerk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 29, 2008, 04:00:50 PM

We are opposites.   I loved Finding Nemo -- what I consider to be their best work -- and Cars (which I think on the surface looked like just a kid movie but was MUCH more funny on many many levels than most people realize upon further viewing).      However we both immensely enjoyed this movie.    I think that might mean they have something special here?

I agree with you. It seems to me that they've managed to craft something with truly universal appeal. Every aspect of the film just works; nothing feels crammed in or tacked on, to me. I know it's cliché, but it just works on every level.

I've seen every Pixar film with the exception of Toy Story 2, but I can't think of one up until now that's amazed me on all fronts. Toy Story was of course amazing from a technical perspective at the time, but in retrospect the story doesn't do a lot for me. I think my favourite is actually probably Monsters, Inc. Though that may have more to do with my love of John Goodman than anything else. icon_razz

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 04:44:28 PM »

Quote from: Mookee on June 29, 2008, 04:23:33 PM

You're right; "superficial" was a poorly chosen word. I should have said "simplistic". Simplicity is a good thing in a children's movie...it's just not an approach that appeals to me. From the reviews I read, I gather that WALL-E is more nuanced, and thus something that I'm more likely to enjoy. I should add that I haven't seen Ratatoulle or Cars, so maybe those had the layers of complexity that tickle my tortured soul.  icon_wink

Ironrod, Ratatouille fits your criteria the most out of any Pixar movie in my opinion. You should give it a shot - it's awesome. Cars, not so much.

The trick for appreciating Cars more deeply is to watch the short on the disc that explains how unbelievably accurately they captured and modified almost every detail of NASCAR -- down to the camera angles on the tracks.   
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »

Quote from: The Myoclonic Jerk on June 29, 2008, 03:45:21 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I recall reading an interview with the lead creator of this one, and he's had the idea sitting around for over a decade. It just happens to be getting released at a time when it's central message has, unfortunately, reached mass media saturation and thus it feels overbearing. Had this movie come out as recently as 5 years ago, I don't think people would be fussing nearly as much about being "hit over the head" with the film's eco-friendly message.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
The Myoclonic Jerk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »

I guessed that must be the case giving the ridiculously long development cycles of CGI films. It's just, as you say, unfortunate timing. I much prefer to take the film's message in the vein of "science fiction with a message" of decades past. It just feels preachy in this age of blindly lumping SUV drivers in with serial killers and despots. I don't frankly mind the assault on Walmart, however.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2008, 06:58:54 PM »

I watched it yesterday, and I sincerely hope many of you have seen it or wil see it, because 'Wall-E' is yet another touching, astounding magical modern masterpiece from Pixar. The character work and level of animation in the film are phenomenal. Wall-E was such a fully-realized character brought to life without hardly any dialogue; by the end of the film I had that big fat tear in my eye during that climactic scene between him and Eve. I also very much liked the satirical speculation about the future of mankind as fat, consumeristic oblivious fools that needed to be woken up. The secondary robot character were also very likeable, specially that little robot that keep cleaning after Wall-E's tracks all through the movie. I loved, loved... loved this film, and will watch it again on the big screen next weekend. I highly recommend you go!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:04:01 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2008, 10:08:37 PM »

Wall-E is an awesome movie. I have put it up right next to The Incredibles as Pixar movies that I love. Really, see this movie. You get more attached to the robots than I have most actors in a movie.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2008, 10:52:34 PM »

there are a lot of studios that are technically competent at making movies, but Pixar consistently produces films that are truly timeless works of art.  Wall-E is no exception and stands as yet another masterpiece of animation and storytelling from the best in the business.  it's really incredibly just how high Pixar continues to set the bar...and how far behind everyone else falls at trying to match them.  i don't think enough good things can be said about Wall-E...just go see it and enjoy icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »

Based on that recommendation I moved Ratatouille from #78 to #1 in our queue, so that I can see it before Wall-e. Cars can stay in position #187 and work its way up like any other disk. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2008, 12:09:18 AM »

it amuses me to think that Mike Judge's Idiocracy was quite likely among the many inspirations utilized...
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »

It was a really good film.  Sweet and charming.  A simple story that is endearing and makes you care about the characters.  It's amazing how much emotion can be communicated by just a few simple changes in pixels.  It is not an art house movie, thankfully, but it is technically very well done.

It's fun. Don't over-analyze it, just enjoy it.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 30, 2008, 01:04:26 AM

It was a really good film.  Sweet and charming.  A simple story that is endearing and makes you care about the characters.  It's amazing how much emotion can be communicated by just a few simple changes in pixels.  It is not an art house movie, thankfully, but it is technically very well done.

It's fun. Don't over-analyze it, just enjoy it.

Echoes my thoughts exactly. I think it's a bit of an instant classic that will stand the test of time because of how endearing and simple it all was. I'd put it up there with Cars and The Incredibles for me as my favourite Pixar films so far.

So what are they working on for next year?
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2008, 02:06:36 AM »

Quote from: Simon on June 30, 2008, 01:20:00 AM

So what are they working on for next year?

Up!

http://pixar.wikia.com/wiki/Up
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2008, 03:34:58 AM »

Went today... I enjoyed it, though I was so tired I actually started nodding off  here and there in the second half... so I probably should see it again when I'm better rested and see if it creates fits of narcolepsy.  I thought it started stronger than it finished, and that it wasn't as good as Ratatouille or Incredibles, but was still a very good movie... a rewatch will let me know what I really think.

What was extremely funny was that the people in the row in front of us had the people on the screen beat in terms of girth.
ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »

After a bit of time to digest seeing it, I gotta say that I *adored* the film.  It was just wonderfully done, and the robots had more personality than most big screen actors do.

I ultimately think this won't be a constant rewatch like The Incredibles is for me (since most of the story is told visually and there's not quite as much funny quotable material) but right now I'm thinking this is probably my second favorite Pixar film.

Also, was that the Star Wars music during the first 20 minutes when EVE was searching around?

The Myoclonic Jerk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2008, 09:41:12 AM »

Quote from: ChrisGrenard on June 30, 2008, 03:52:17 AM

Also, was that the Star Wars music during the first 20 minutes when EVE was searching around?

Gosh, I was reminded of both Tatooine and the Ark of the Covenant themes. Was wondering whether John Williams secretly did the music.

IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »

Offtopic, I have a hard time seeing Pixar doing the Warlord of Mars series properly unless they really raise the rating.
Debris
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2008, 12:50:04 PM »

I didn't care for the movie that much.  My 6 year old grandson loved it though.

I don't know why, but the cutsie part just didn't grab me at all.  I guess a robot stalker who falls in love with the first animate thing he sees just isn't as endearing to me as it once was.  Not to mention that laughing at fat people went out of style back in the 70's.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2008, 06:33:51 PM »

Saw this on opening night with my kids. By usual movie standards, it was great. By Pixar standards, it was lacking. The animation was phenomenal, and the characterization of a couple of robots was astonishing, but as someone else said, there's only so much you can do without dialog and with two non-speaking characters. It felt like an experiment in silent theatre - which is great, as long as you're not making a movie for small children! My 5 year old was completely lost, and my 7 year old only caught the broad strokes. Now, I'm not saying Pixar isn't allowed to make a movie with subtleties in it, but when the majority of the story is going to be told by quick shots of billboards, implied messages about the dangers of consumerism, and facial expressions, you're veering away from your core audience. That's two in a row now where Pixar has aimed at a seemingly older audience (Rattatouie also being a brilliant movie that most children I know could care less about). Are they bored with making movies for the primary grade set?

Near the bottom somewhere on the list of Pixar flicks (which, I repeat, are all superb and blow by every other animated movie out there, with the possible exception of the Iron Giant.)

Nemo, Toy Story, Incredibles and Cars all blow Wall*E out of the water. Ya, I said it. Cars!

The short, on the other hand about the magician and his bunny was sheer genius. My kids and I were howling.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on June 30, 2008, 06:33:51 PM

Are they bored with making movies for the primary grade set?

As I mentioned they are doing a Warlord of Mars trilogy which, if done properly, would be R
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »

Nah, R just isn't appropriate for the Mars series.  Tonally, it's a PG-13 even if, strictly speaking, the content is R-rated (lots and lots of nakedness IIRC). 
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »

Yeah, I agree, though if they went with some more gore for the battles then it could dip back to R.  It's also not going to be animated from what I hear, though I think I wouldn't mind that one animated.  I also looking forward to the Solomon Kane movie
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »

Quote from: IceBear on June 30, 2008, 07:33:26 PM

Yeah, I agree, though if they went with some more gore for the battles then it could dip back to R.  It's also not going to be animated from what I hear, though I think I wouldn't mind that one animated.  I also looking forward to the Solomon Kane movie

Honestly, the way the ratings system works, nudity and profanity would dip it into R territory more than huge amounts of gore.

I know, doesn't make sense to me, either....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »

Why is it automatically assumed that Pixars core audience is children? Would your really call The Incredibles a film for young children? The only thing that might be meant for kids was that it is about a cute robot, after that I doubt they would pick up any of the story or hidden meanings or really understand the 2nd half of the movie. A majority of the theater was really young kids and I seriously doubt they left the theater understanding the story anymore than they went in. Just because there isn't gore and a truckload of swearing or people fucking on the screen doesn't mean a story can't be meant for a more mature audience.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2008, 09:34:55 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 29, 2008, 04:44:28 PM

The trick for appreciating Cars more deeply is to watch the short on the disc that explains how unbelievably accurately they captured and modified almost every detail of NASCAR -- down to the camera angles on the tracks.   

Curiously enough, Cars is just about at the bottom of my list for Pixar - it just didn't grab me - this could be why (I find NASCAR extremely boring).

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2008, 10:50:03 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on June 30, 2008, 08:00:46 PM

Why is it automatically assumed that Pixars core audience is children?

I think Pixar's core audience is families not necessarily children.  The great thing about all their movies is that they can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.  They've done an excellent job of making stories that appeal to both.  Wall E was the first movie that I loved but my kids did not.  In fact I think my 6 year olds comment about it was something along the lines of "I liked the commercial better" 

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »

(I find NASCAR extremely boring).

Heh, that's because it is...cars turning left for 3 hours is by its very nature...not all that exciting.  (until they crash that is)

thumbsup for Wall-E

Anyone ever read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine_Stops?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2008, 01:07:13 AM »

Quote from: kratz on June 30, 2008, 03:34:58 AM

What was extremely funny was that the people in the row in front of us had the people on the screen beat in terms of girth.

Well you do live in Wyoming...

In seriousness, I'll be a voice of quasi-dissent here.  I liked the movie, but didn't love it.  It was awfully cute and I liked the social commentary, but I couldn't help feeling that some of the scenes were way protracted and I was a bit bored through the second act.  Still, it was enjoyable.

gellar
The Myoclonic Jerk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2008, 04:35:42 AM »

Quote from: walTer on July 01, 2008, 12:34:11 AM

Pretty amazing considering when it was written. I didn't really feel a connection to Wall-E, though. But it's been a long time since I read it. I guess the concept of everyone keeping to themselves and communicating via device when they're in fact so close together is what you're getting at, now that I think back.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2008, 11:34:07 AM »

Saw it last night and absolutely loved it.  Thought the first half was stronger than the second, but it was still a fantastic movie all the way through.  Runs neck-and-neck with Incredibles as my favorite Pixar movie.

The Myoclonic Jerk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »

I just realized what would ruin Wall-E: a half-hour weekday-afternoon children's cartoon in which Wall-E speaks.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »

Though as I mentioned before, I was nodding off due to some pretty powerful exhaustion, the more I think about it the more I think that it probably was one of the weaker films.  I would still prefer it to Cars, Bug's Life... but maybe only more than those two.  I really just need to see it again and see what I think on a second viewing.

Was it the movie putting me to sleep? Dunno...

Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies, but it still puts me to sleep when I watch it these days
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2008, 04:42:42 AM »

ust because there isn't gore and a truckload of swearing or people fucking on the screen doesn't mean a story can't be meant for a more mature audience.
Some would argue that gore, swearing, and people fucking isn't very mature, either. Enjoyable, sure, but pretty adolescent.

I fucking loved WALL E. Pixar seems to be getting better and better.

PSN ID: EduardoX
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »

The wife and I saw it last night. Great movie. I will own the DVD.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2008, 03:15:07 PM »

Saw it last night, it would have been worth the $20 alone to get out of the heat and humidity for two hours, but the movie was pretty awesome too.  Definitely one of my favorites from Pixar thus far.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 03, 2008, 04:42:42 AM

ust because there isn't gore and a truckload of swearing or people fucking on the screen doesn't mean a story can't be meant for a more mature audience.
Some would argue that gore, swearing, and people fucking isn't very mature, either. Enjoyable, sure, but pretty adolescent.

That's the thought I subscribe to.  I see so many movies swearing just for the sake of swearing, which adds nothing to a movie, and  pull it down to an immature level. If a situation warrants it, it's different, but there are so many few movies that I've actually felt it added to. I was disgusted by the immaturity in Little Miss Sunshine for example. It would of been an enjoyable movie hadn't it taken the direction it did. And no, I'm no prude. I just don't think it was particularly funny to be taking it in that direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: