http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 02:47:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movies]Wall-E Impressions  (Read 5898 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »

I am pumped up! Wall-E is finally here. I'm debating whether to go to a midnight screening tonight as I really have to be a good boy and finish a project before engaging in some Pixar magic dust. Rotten Tomatoes is currently tracking it at a whooping 94%!
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »

You know, when Wanted had only 17 reviews earlier this week, it was tracking at 100%...

I'm hoping to see both this weekend, but will definitely be seeing Wall-E. I'm a Pixar fanboy, and the wife wants to see it. It's simply imperative.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:25:20 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on June 26, 2008, 03:21:41 PM

You know, when Wanted had only 17 reviews earlier this week, it was tracking at 100%...

And it's now tracking at 73%. 'Wanted' looks to me as cartoony as 'Shoot Em Up' was... and 'Shoot Em Up', though it was fun, flopped badly at the box office. I'm just sayin'...
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 26, 2008, 03:06:34 PM

I am pumped up! Wall-E is finally here. I'm debating whether to go to a midnight screening tonight as I really have to be a good boy and finish a project before engaging in some Pixar magic dust. Rotten Tomatoes is currently tracking it at a whooping 94%!
Well the one negative reviewer thus far seems to be a douche so it's closer to 100. Tongue
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »

I'm super excited about Wall-E.   We're going Sunday.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:47:02 PM »

Quote from: Austin on June 26, 2008, 03:27:20 PM

Well the one negative reviewer thus far seems to be a douche so it's closer to 100. Tongue

It's funny, all the other reviewers have 0-4 comments at their reviews, this guy has 76.  None of them flattering.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

I'll probably see it tomorrow afternoon, maybe Wanted too. I'm not sure.

Going to see the Hulk today at 6ish.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:55:31 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 26, 2008, 03:28:54 PM

+1 and +1.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 05:10:56 PM »

Quote from: Simon on June 26, 2008, 04:55:31 PM

Quote from: kratz on June 26, 2008, 03:28:54 PM

+1 and +1.

Heh, I will see both of you there- just bought my tickets this morning.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 05:45:02 PM »

Nice, I didn't even realize it was coming out already!

I must admit I wasn't really excited about it from the teasers. Didn't like the Short Circuit design rip-off, etc. However, the longer trailers looked really, *really* good.

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »

We have stuff going on all weekend (Little brother is graduating from his residency program - /sniff) but might be able to take the kiddos to a matinee on Saturday.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:22:01 PM »

I think we're finally going to blow off our free movie tix on this one, but not until the initial crowds fade. We'll wait for some hot day when we want to sit in A/C for a couple of hours.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 26, 2008, 06:22:01 PM

I think we're finally going to blow off our free movie tix on this one, but not until the initial crowds fade. We'll wait for some hot day when we want to sit in A/C for a couple of hours.
I think you should hit up a 2:00PM show on Saturday.  You'd love it!
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 08:37:21 PM »

I must be one of the few that have no interesting in seeing this at all. I was the same with Cars, which I eventually saw and disliked. Is it any coincidence that ever since Disney bought them that they've made two movies that aren't about humans or monsters-like beings but instead objects that don't naturally invoke human emotion? I find it hard be to interested in these. This movie seems cold and devoid of any human emotion, made for marketing purposes. I've seen the trailers and it just looks a bit too surreal to me.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on June 26, 2008, 03:47:02 PM

Quote from: Austin on June 26, 2008, 03:27:20 PM

It's funny, all the other reviewers have 0-4 comments at their reviews, this guy has 76.  None of them flattering.

And that is how you drum up unique visitors to your website. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 08:57:49 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on June 26, 2008, 08:37:21 PM

This movie seems cold and devoid of any human emotion, made for marketing purposes. I've seen the trailers and it just looks a bit too surreal to me.

We must have seen different trailers then.  I saw more emotion from the robots in the previews than I do from most live actors.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »

I must be the only person in the country that knows nothing about this film. I haven't seen anything for it except for posters when I go to the movies, and people in forums saying how excited for it they are.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »

I'm a little leery of seeing this one in the theater.  I had liked or loved every single Pixar release up until Ratatouille.  I missed it in the theater because our daughter was too young for us to go, and when we saw it on DVD, we were both severely disappointed.  That, and there are so many movies that we are seeing in the theater this summer, that this one will probably be pushed back until DVD release.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 09:15:16 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 26, 2008, 09:01:08 PM

I must be the only person in the country that knows nothing about this film. I haven't seen anything for it except for posters when I go to the movies, and people in forums saying how excited for it they are.

I've seen previews and I still know pretty much nothing about it.  There is a junkyard robot left on earth to clean stuff up and he leaves.  Then a bunch of stuff happens, apparently. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 09:15:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 26, 2008, 08:57:49 PM

This movie seems cold and devoid of any human emotion, made for marketing purposes. I've seen the trailers and it just looks a bit too surreal to me.

We must have seen different trailers then.  I saw more emotion from the robots in the previews than I do from most live actors.

+1
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 26, 2008, 09:15:16 PM

There is a junkyard robot left on earth to clean stuff up and he leaves.  Then a bunch of stuff happens, apparently. 

Dude. Spoiler tags, please.  icon_wink

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 10:49:28 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 26, 2008, 09:02:57 PM

I'm a little leery of seeing this one in the theater.  I had liked or loved every single Pixar release up until Ratatouille.  I missed it in the theater because our daughter was too young for us to go, and when we saw it on DVD, we were both severely disappointed.  That, and there are so many movies that we are seeing in the theater this summer, that this one will probably be pushed back until DVD release.

Wow... Ratatouille was amazingly good... my favorite movie of last year, no question.  I could watch it every day.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 26, 2008, 09:02:57 PM

Must be all that post-Black Metallica you listen to...

Seriously, man.  Ratatouille was TITS.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 01:36:11 PM »

Saw it last night. Wasn't my favorite Pixar film, but "okay" Pixar is still better than new Indiana Jones.

It's amazing what life talented animators can get into a few robots. Impeccable animation as always.

The story just didn't grab me for some strange reason. I think I've come to expect a wealth of humorous surprises and stunning visuals from Pixar and Wall-E didn't quite deliver. Most of the humorous surprises had already been spoiled, and I can't think of even one mind-blowing visual as I sit here 6 hours after exiting the theater. That's not to say it's a bad movie. I was entertained, and I did laugh quite a bit. I just felt that... something... was lacking. Perhaps my expectations were just too high.

I'll get it on disc, but it'll likely be near the end of the Pixar queue with A Bug's Life.

The short beforehand was great fun.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »

I didn't particularly care for Ratatouille either. It goes above Bug's Life but well below Cars for me. I thought it was a major disappointment after all the stellar reviews.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »

A couple of reviews persuaded me to chuck the usual practice of postponing new movies until the crowds die back, and instead see it at our earliest opportunity -- probably within the next 2-3 weeks. They're saying that it's not a kids' movie at all, but a first-rate sf story with adult themes bordering on literary. Much more to my liking than a superficial children's thrill-ride, in other words. I am now avoiding all further input about this movie until after we see it.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 27, 2008, 01:05:01 PM

Must be all that post-Black Metallica you listen to...

Seriously, man.  Ratatouille was TITS.

Dude, ratChef != goodEntertainment();

My stomach was queasy through the entire movie.  And it wasn't funny.  Cars, while a subpar Pixar film in it of itself, is more entertaining.  And it's nowhere near in the league of Monsters, Inc.,Toy Story or The Incredibles.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 27, 2008, 02:22:27 PM

... a superficial children's thrill-ride...

The great thing about pixar is that I really haven't thought any of their movies were superficial children's thrill rides.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 27, 2008, 04:41:40 PM

The great thing about pixar is that I really haven't thought any of their movies were superficial children's thrill rides.

You can say what you want about Pixar, but I don't think anyone can call them superficial. There's an honesty of message and continuity of message in each film that shows how much the creators believe in the stories they're telling. Unlike, say, the majority of Disney and Dreamworks animated ventures where the concept is obviously crafted prior to the story and/or message. (Zoo animals get stuck in Madagascar! The ogre is the hero! Pop-culture references are funny!) Pixar's movies may not resonate with everyone, but they at least make the attempt to.

(That's not to say there isn't a place for purely superficial entertainment. I watch Hell's Kitchen for god's sake. Just saying putting Pixar in that category is wrong.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:06:45 PM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »

Went crazy-go-nuts and just took a long lunch to go see it.  Simply fantastic.  I had a huge smile on my face the entire time.

And I don't want to toss out any spoilers, but I think we'll all agree after seeing certain parts of this that the folks at Pixar must be big fans of a game company we're all familiar with.
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »

Simply amazing. I think it might be my favorite pixar movie. As was just mentioned, I also had a huge smile on my face the entire time. Just a great, great movie.

And the short before the movie started was good fun. Good old cartoon fun.

If you don't love this movie, you are dead inside. That's just all there is to it!

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »

This movie seems cold and devoid of any human emotion, made for marketing purposes.

Wall-E was the opposite of this. So, so good.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2008, 05:40:41 AM »

A- for me, mainly because I like messages in my stories told to me subtly instead of broken over my head. But the sheer amount of cuteness on display was amazing. The short beforehand gets an A in my book for sheer gut-busting hilarity.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on June 27, 2008, 07:14:51 PM

Quote from: kratz on June 27, 2008, 04:41:40 PM

You can say what you want about Pixar, but I don't think anyone can call them superficial.

You're right; "superficial" was a poorly chosen word. I should have said "simplistic". Simplicity is a good thing in a children's movie...it's just not an approach that appeals to me. From the reviews I read, I gather that WALL-E is more nuanced, and thus something that I'm more likely to enjoy. I should add that I haven't seen Ratatoulle or Cars, so maybe those had the layers of complexity that tickle my tortured soul.  icon_wink

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »

Quote from: Brinstil on June 27, 2008, 07:59:08 PM

And the short before the movie started was good fun. Good old cartoon fun.

Agreed!  I think the pixar short before Wall-E - just might be my favorite short they've produced yet. It was good clean fun and it was great hearing my daughter laugh so hard during it.

Wall-E was an incredibly sweet film . Humor was mostly unspoken and reminded me of a lot of the classic silent comedies (i.e. charlie chaplin, buster keaton, etc). My favorite secondary character had to be the little MO robot.
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 07:56:11 PM »

The short actually reminded me of a classic Bugs Bunny cartoon in comic timing and style. That was awesome.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 05:44:48 AM »

Utterly amazing movie. For me, it ranks ahead of The Incredibles as my favorite Pixar movie.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 06:16:51 AM »

(prefacing this by saying i've never seen anything by Pixar before.) so our entire company went to go see this on Friday. the criticisms i would make would be to make it less 'kiddie' and somewhat more subtle, and a have a prolonged 'beginning' sequence. while there's a plentitude of identifiable influences, for a contemporary American 'kids' film, it's definitely up there with the better ones and is not at all disappointing.

and i'm sure the creators of the short had played Portal...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on June 29, 2008, 06:16:51 AM

and i'm sure the creators of the short had played Portal...

I scanned the short's credits as best I could for a nod to Valve but I didn't see anything.  Then I saw the navigator robot and the resemblance was too uncanny.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 02:23:07 PM »

This is one of Pixar's best.   I thought last year's Ratatouille was an extreme disappointment.    Everyone on the forums and critics raved about it, but it didn't feel at all like a Pixar movie to me -- and was boring.    My family hasn't even watched it more than 3 times.

The other Pixar movies, on the other hand, we've watched a hundred times each.    There is usually a Pixar movie playing in the background of our house at all times -- with kids and all.      I can still...after surely hundreds of times -- watch Cars.

Anyway..that being said:   Wall-E will rank among my favorites.    The Pixar magic returns in this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: