http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:45:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movies]hellboy 2  (Read 2185 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2008, 07:53:45 PM »

just watched it.good flick.but if you're not into his character and his universe,you won't like it any better than the first one.it feels more like a fantasy film than a superhero flick.guillermo del toro's direction was great;beatifully visualized movie.and very funny top.I enjoyed it.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »

Watched it this morning and I liked the hell out of it. Much better and more consistent than the first one was. If you don't get or really care about the character then this film isn't going to change your mind about it, but it is a solid popcorn flick. Seth MacFarlane's Johann Krauss was easily my favorite character which is funny in itself because I can't stand Family Guy. His intentionally fake German accent is just hilarious, and the ways his character keeps surprising you are terrific. Him "fighting" Hellboy left me laughing out loud, as did his "Well, I'm out of ideas." Very fun time, overall.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »

I liked it more than I initially liked the first one, which didn't click with me the first time I saw it but grew on me with the extended version del Toro put together.  Here's hoping they put out a extended edition like the did with the first.

it'll be interesting to see if they go anywhere with the couple of plot points left dangling at the end.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »

saw it this afternoon...big improvement over the first Hellboy, but still with a few problems.  the story is pretty thin, but the creativity of all the situations the team faces, combined with del Torro's amazing visuals, make for a very fun movie.  anyone that enjoyed the visual style of Pan's Labyrinth should love the characters and settings of Hellboy 2.  the plot is enough hold together the impressive action scenes, but doesn't off much more.  that said, i think anyone with an interest in a fun summer action movie with a little fantasy twist could have a good time going to see Hellboy 2 icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »

it opened pretty good--36 mill! An improvement over the first movie 22 mill opening years ago. Of course, dark knight will clobber everything next weekend but good showing for this sequel
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »

Saw it saturday after 3 rum and cokes at the bar attached to the Evanston 12 cinema.  Really enjoyed what I can remember.  I agree with someone else's assessment that the continuity of HB's relationship to Jeffrey Timbor's character was off from the first one.  However, the visuals alone in this movie make it a keeper.  Plus, more Abe is never a bad thing.

Glad to hear it made number 1 at the box office this past weekend.  Good directors who take a chance and make interesting films should make money...while the people who made Meet Dave should be pushed into making DMV crash videos.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »

WTF is Meet Dave?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 14, 2008, 03:26:39 PM

WTF is Meet Dave?

I truly envy you...

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 14, 2008, 03:39:15 PM

WTF is Meet Dave?

I truly envy you...

LOL...+1

I want to cry every time I see a preview for that movie.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 05:26:33 PM »

WTF is Meet Dave?

Eddie Murphy's long descent into irrelevance.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 05:40:35 PM »

Thankfully Meet Dave made, like, 14 dollars at the theaters this past weekend.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 12:16:45 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 14, 2008, 05:26:33 PM

WTF is Meet Dave?

Eddie Murphy's long descent into irrelevance.

maybe he'll decide to work on Beverly Hills Cop 4 now.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:46:51 AM »

Just watched this tonight and I liked it.  I love Guillermo del Toro's imagination and imagery.  Very cool stuff!
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 07:32:33 AM »

I thought the first one was just alright but I completely loved the sequel. It seemed to have more of everything the first one lacked. Going to pick up the BD for sure so I can watch it a few more times.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »

i havent seen the second one yet,i am waiting for DVD(actually i think it just came out a week or two ago here in the UK..on DVD that is)..but if you guys say its better than the first one then i am in for a treat

i have the first one 3disc special directors cut extreme supreme edition..or whatever they are calling them these days,loved it..Ron Pearlman rules...and having Nazi's as bad guys is always a big plus for me,i liked all the supernatural/nazi thing as well,kinda like Raiders of the Lost Ark/Last Crusade

and Meet Dave...i saw a trailer of that a while ago,and i never want to see the trailer again.let alone see the film...i dont even think BHC4 can save Murphy now,number 3 wasnt that great....wasnt it missing Judge Reinhold?,and he was like part of the trio in the first two...suprised he hasnt thought of doing 'Yet Another 48 hrs'..or '48 hrs much later'

wait,i'm going somewhere with this
'trading places again'...or 'Vampire in Manhattan'...saying that,lets not get him in the mood for more sequels,'More Adventures of Pluto Nash' could be next

still,depressed that they have totally squeezed all life out of Shrek and are making a 4th film

and about Guillermo del Toro..is he the guy who did Pans Labyrinth?,i have that on DVD and its a great film,i heard he was doing the Prequel to Lord of the rings trilogy(two Hobbit films,not sure which he is doing,the actual book one or the one set inbetween 'The Hobbit and LOTR'..he may actually be doing both)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 05:18:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 22, 2008, 05:01:56 PM

and about Guillermo del Toro..is he the guy who did Pans Labyrinth?

yep.  I tried watching it and couldn't get into it, but it was probably more the subtitles and my dislike of having to read a movie.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2008, 05:18:38 PM

yep.  I tried watching it and couldn't get into it, but it was probably more the subtitles and my dislike of having to read a movie.

haha - welcome to the shiny world of europeans ;-)

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 05:52:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 22, 2008, 05:51:38 PM

y'all should just get on with it and learn American  Tongue

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2008, 05:52:51 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 22, 2008, 05:51:38 PM

y'all should just get on with it and learn American  Tongue

ahh,actually that was prolly a plus for me,i am partially deaf and i always have subtitles on my DVDs,so i didnt really notice that much difference,i also have them on for my Japanese horrors as well,but thats mainly because the english soundtrack are usually scarier than the film

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »

I was really let down by Hellboy 2... I liked the first one a lot, though I thought it could've done more... the second one just didn't seem like it was in the same universe... the story was convoluted and kind of cheesy, a lot of the wit of the first movie was missing, it didn't have the same heart.  Thinking back now to when I saw it (in theaters) I'm having a really hard time remembering what happened, while I could tell you the entire story in Hellboy I without skipping a beat.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »

wife and i saw this last night, and while it was pretty good, i felt it came off more like a harry potter meets m.i.b. and it wasn't written as well.  the story took some detours a little too far, and the whole spear point business fell flat.  i also miss the extra cast that were in hb1 and that niles crane didn't voice abe this time.  it all felt like they had to cut out too much and picked up some of the threads while dropping the more important ones. 

i did like the story sequence though;  the animation style was pretty cool and i would watch a feature length film using it. 

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 08:36:20 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 24, 2008, 04:48:50 PM

I was really let down by Hellboy 2... I liked the first one a lot, though I thought it could've done more... the second one just didn't seem like it was in the same universe... the story was convoluted and kind of cheesy, a lot of the wit of the first movie was missing, it didn't have the same heart.  Thinking back now to when I saw it (in theaters) I'm having a really hard time remembering what happened, while I could tell you the entire story in Hellboy I without skipping a beat.

I thought I was the only one that felt that way.  The big difference for me seemed to be that despite how outlandish some of the elements were Hellboy was still very much grounded in reality.  Hellboy II seemed to all but throw this out.

And while I can understand the actor wanting to get recognition I was disappointed that David Hyde Peirce didn’t reprise his role as the voice of Abe.  I thought he was PERFECT.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »

David Hyde Pierce didn't take credit for Hellboy 1; and he felt that Doug Jones should be the person doing Hellboy 2.

Doug Jones: Not this time, sweetie. At the Hellboy 2 premiere we're going to have some fun, okay? August the 8th.

Staci: You use your speaking voice this time in the movie, right?

Doug Jones: I'm very excited about this, yes.

Staci: Me, too!

Doug Jones: Awww …thank you for saying so. I love David Hyde Pierce for [doing] the first go 'round and I love him even more because of the gentlemanly thing that he did for me in keeping the character a 'Doug Jones thing' and he didn't need to do that. But out of just the goodness of his heart, he wanted that character to be mine so he declined taking the credit in the film, he declined doing any interviews or any press or didn't show up at the premiere, and kind of just had a great low profile about that.

I still haven't met him. I want to one day so I can tell him and kiss him on the cheek and tell him I love him, but that was very, very sweet and kind of him to do. I kind of had a hankering that he was doing it for my benefit and sure enough, he was quoted as saying, "That was Doug's character and he wanted to leave it that way". So sweet, and when he was offered the voice of Abe Sapien for the animated features that we just finished, he politely declined. So, it's because of that declining, that they gave it to me.

My friend Ron Pearlman was one voice who said, "You know, what Doug did on the film was… he and David are virtually the same person, so I don't know why they just didn't have him". That's when Guillermo del Toro and Mike Mignola and Tad Stone and everybody was like, "You know what, let's get Doug". So it was a nice turn of events to have the voice come back to me after I had done him on set for the first movie. And again; I loved him [in the movie], but no one wants to see half their performance taken away.

I don't see how Doug and Hellboy 2 can be held accountable for the fact that DHP didn't feel like he was contributing in the first place.

As for the story, Hellboy 2 was more enjoyable for me, where Hellboy 1 was more "ooo, love" kind of movie that had it's place, but lacked as much action.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 09:07:10 PM »

Oh, I understand why Doug Jones provided the voice this time around but it doesn’t change the fact that I still preferred Pierce.  nod
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 09:08:44 PM »

I can agree that DHP has more impact, but after about 10 minutes it didn't affect me anymore.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 11:42:13 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 24, 2008, 09:08:44 PM

I can agree that DHP has more impact, but after about 10 minutes it didn't affect me anymore.

me either, and at times, i almost thought it was him.   not saying he did a bad job or anything, but dhp's voice fits the character perfectly.  coincidentally, just like his "brother" did for Beast in x-men 3.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »

While HB2's domestic box office flopness (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hellboy2.htm) likely ensures no more adventures, this cute Collider item seemed worth mentioning...

Ron Perlman and Spectral Motion Bring HELLBOY to Life for Make-a-Wish
Ron Perlman (Hellboy) may be a great actor, but he’s an even better human being.  When Perlman got word that Zachary, a six-year-old leukemia patient, told the Make-a-Wish Foundation that he wanted to “meet and become Hellboy,” the screen veteran was all in.  Re-teaming with Spectral Motion, the effects company behind Guillermo del Toro’s Hellboy and its sequel, Perlman underwent the four-hour transformation process to become the comicbook demon and meet Zachary.  Imagine Zachary’s surprise when he not only met Hellboy in the flesh, but got to become a pint-sized version of his hero, courtesy of the make-up and effects team.
Here’s what Spectral Motion had to say about Zachary’s meeting with Hellboy (via Facebook):

In the past three weeks, Spectral Motion has been honored to host two wonderful Make-A-Wish children, Caleb and Zachary. Zachary loved his visit for two very special reasons. It was Zachary’s wish to meet Hellboy and also to become Hellboy.

When the Make-A-Wish Foundation contacted Spectral Motion with this request, Mike thought it would be fantastic to have Ron Perlman reprise his role for the day. Ron loved the idea and donned the makeup once more (with the assistance of Lufeng Qu and Eden Elizalde) and also ordered a Hellboy sized meal of burgers, shakes, and fries for Zachary and his family and the entire Spectral crew to enjoy.

Later in the day, Zachary was transformed into Hellboy with the assistance of makeup artists Lufeng Qu and Neil Winn. Both of the Make-A-Wish days were a complete thrill for the families of the children, as well as for the crew at Spectral Motion!
Awesome, and a chance to see Ron in his Hellboy makeup/outfit one more time.  icon_smile

I liked both films. I think HB2 was very unfortunate to try to make a dent in a box office summer surrounded by Iron Man, Indiana Jones 4 and TDK. I just don't think it had a chance.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:34:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 05:48:16 PM »

I'm continuously fascinated by how you draw your conclusions about films.  icon_confused

The film came top in the UK and Ireland box office charts upon its release on August 22 and earned an additional international gross of $84,401,560 bringing its worldwide total to $160,388,063, meaning it has currently outgrossed the first film by nearly $53 million, and has yet to open in at least one country.

But yeah, Perlman is the man.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:50:40 PM by hepcat » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 06:41:30 PM »

Yep I've heard that Pearlman is nothing but a quality guy from friends in the film biz. I'm not surprised he'd go this much out of his way to make a kid's day great.

BTW Anyone here see the 1995 film The City of Lost Children in which he played a support role. It came to mind when I read this because he comes to the aid of children in that film, and I've read that it was 1 of his favorite movies to make. I saw it again recently and man is it ever a strange, but really great film.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:48:56 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 02:54:27 AM »

from what I've heard about Hellboy 3 it all depends as to which way the wind is blowing that particular week.  I've heard it's on, it's off, it's not going to happen, it's going to happen eventually, Pearlman has been replaced by a Wayans brother....

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 03:25:55 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 09, 2012, 06:41:30 PM

BTW Anyone here see the 1995 film The City of Lost Children in which he played a support role. It came to mind when I read this because he comes to the aid of children in that film, and I've read that it was 1 of his favorite movies to make. I saw it again recently and man is it ever a strange, but really great film.

Heh, every time I think of Ron Perlman I think of The City of Lost Children.  It was the first movie I saw him in and for some reason it really sticks with me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: