http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 02:21:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movies] Wanted impressions  (Read 8469 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 07:18:33 AM »

It was a really fun movie. Definitely not too deep and way over the top, but definitely fun. And anyone who thinks the movie took itself seriously should just stay away from movies, especially considering
Spoiler for Hiden:
He shoots a guy in the eye which exits the back of his head, then inserts his gun into the newly created hole and shoots through the dead guy's head while holding him up with the gun as a human shield.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »

I enjoyed both Wanted and Hancock.  The shame about Wanted was that it was trying to be too much and failed to get there.  It failed to pay proper homage to Fight Club.  It failed to show proper homage to Scrubs.  If failed to show proper homage Matrix.  It was like it wanted to take bits and pieces of all of these great pieces of recent media and build on them all together and be the best ever hook piece ever.  But it didn't actually have it's own hook and it just jumbled the pieces rather than buildin on them.  It failed to be it's own thing.  But it was still watchable.  It was still acceptable comic book.  It was still acceptable action. 

It just had a lot of potential.  The high concept was great.  The vehicle chosen for present the high concept was perfect.  The execution was somewhere between "meh" and disappointing but not so meh and so disappointing and hack that I hated the movie.

I think the worst part of the movie is that beginning was so good, right up through the end of Jolie and protagonists first action sequence.  They set you up for a great movie and then gave you a mediorcre movie.  frown

Hanocock OTOH hand set you up for "drunken black superman" with no real expectations and left you with a straightforward action flick.

I'd place both movies at 4 to 6 out of 10 (which is not bad.  I don't go for 5.9 = fail) but for different reasons.  Hancock was straight forward acceptable and Wanted set you up for greatness but then gave you a lower than expected level of mediocrity, still worth the two hours of sitting in the theatre for.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 04:46:09 PM »

It failed to show proper homage to Scrubs.

icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 14, 2008, 04:46:09 PM

It failed to show proper homage to Scrubs.

icon_confused

I don't know if this would be spoilerish or not so...

Spoiler for Hiden:
The beginning of the movie not only seemed to be going for the psuedo noir narration but the main character felt like a steal from Zac Braff's interpretation of his character, Dr Dorian who it seemed like was explicitly meant to be cast after and then tranform into a hardened hero via the Neo introduction into a different world.  I don't think they gave it enough individuality to divorce it from that association in my mind while not building enough on it for me to be apprciative of the efforts.  This impression is enhanced by things like the .gif shown above the "fuck yo" keys exploding off the keyboard.  But it is just an impression.  I can't speak for intention.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:02:49 PM by LordMortis » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

hmmm...i never made that connection.  I just kept seeing Danny Kaye in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.   icon_biggrin

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 05:03:45 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 14, 2008, 05:00:00 PM

hmmm...i never made that connection.  I just kept seeing Danny Kaye in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.   icon_biggrin

Never seen it (that I remember).  But I can remember loving old Danny Kaye movies growing up.  Was it any good?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on July 14, 2008, 05:03:45 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 14, 2008, 05:00:00 PM

Never seen it (that I remember).  But I can remember loving old Danny Kaye movies growing up.  Was it any good?

it's been a long time since i saw it, but it's danny kaye in his prime.  i would definitely recommend it.  as a matter of fact, i'm going to add it to my netflix queue right now.   icon_wink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 07:13:35 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 30, 2008, 08:55:10 PM

I loved it from start to finish.  I kind of get the reference to 300 (which I also loved), but this is still a very different genre of film.  Tons of great action sequences and visual effects and "over the top of the top" kind of fun.

What I think is understated about the movie is just how good a cast they assembled.  The material is only so good, but with a lesser cast it would be harder to swallow.  I am a total James McAvoy fanboy now, and while most reviews seem to ignore/dismiss his performance here, I think he is what carries the movie and makes it believable from a character standpoint.  He plays the nobody nerd to perfection, conveys fear and pain from being tortured perfectly, and shifts to the sexy hero effortlessly.  And man, those beautiful blue eyes... oh yeah  nod   Angelina Jolie is good, too, giving an almost understated performance yet standing out in all of her scenes.  I read she deliberately removed a lot of her dialog while filming, and it works - she conveys so much with just a single look.

I've got to say, you lost me at the bolded parts... like bird trying to explain to a fish how to fly, I guess. Otherwise I totally agree with you. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »

Watched this last night and oh man what a huge disappointment.  It was horrible all around.  Do yourselves a favor and skip this one.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »

It has potential. But every time I see a trailer and start thinking what a cool-sound movie it is they yell "Curve the bullet" at the kid and they lose me Tongue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »

Quote from: Crux on December 03, 2008, 05:34:42 PM

It has potential. But every time I see a trailer and start thinking what a cool-sound movie it is they yell "Curve the bullet" at the kid and they lose me Tongue

So I'm guessing you have a flat serve? biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »

If you go into this movie expecting realism at all, then yeah you're not going to like it. But if you go into it thinking of it as a comic book adaptation, which it is, and accept that in this fantasy world there are certain people who can do superhuman things, then there is no way you can find it "horrible."
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »

Bullshit.

Thinking it is horrible has nothing to do with the far fetchedness of the premise.  It's just a really bad movie with a really bad plot, crappy dialog, and cardboard performances.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 03, 2008, 09:29:22 PM

Bullshit.

Thinking it is horrible has nothing to do with the far fetchedness of the premise.  It's just a really bad movie with a really bad plot, crappy dialog, and cardboard performances.

yo' momma.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »

There's nothing cardboard about Morgan Freeman shouting, "motherfucker!"
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »

Ugh. Don't remind me.

I just remember that scene where angelina bent him over and raped him so hard and for so long that I forgot all of the good acting he's done.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »

Bullshit.

hypocrisy:  bitching about the plot and dialog in Wanted after spending multiple posts defending Shoot "em Up.   icon_lol

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 04, 2008, 02:31:13 PM

Bullshit.

hypocrisy:  bitching about the plot and dialog in Wanted after spending multiple posts defending Shoot "em Up.   icon_lol

Shoot 'em Up never took itself seriously though.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2008, 03:34:01 PM »

Quote from: Crux on December 04, 2008, 03:21:22 PM

Bullshit.

his outburst never once mentioned the level of seriousness which the film displayed.  it specifically mentioned bad plot and crappy dialog.  both are abundantly available in either film.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 04, 2008, 03:34:01 PM

Bullshit.

his outburst never once mentioned the level of seriousness which the film displayed.  it specifically mentioned bad plot and crappy dialog.  both are abundantly available in either film.

Shoot 'em Up had a plot?   icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 04:20:12 PM »

my point exactly.   icon_biggrin

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »

I am not rehashing this one...
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »

you probably should've thought of that before whipping out your hash a few posts back.   Tongue

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 04:57:37 PM »

Exactly.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2008, 05:05:43 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 04, 2008, 04:57:37 PM

Exactly.
Neither did Wanted Tongue.

I don't believe the Spoiler tag is working... spoiler coming!
here it comes!
Do you really think a movie where the protagonist shoots a hole through a guy's head by way of his eye and then sticks his gun into the hole in that guy's head and proceeds to carry him along as a human shield takes itself seriously? Tongue
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2008, 05:05:58 PM »

so a movie can overcome bad plot and even worse dialog by simply being tongue in cheek?  i guess paris hilton's The Hottie and the Nottie is friggin' Citizen Kane to you folks.   icon_lol

p.s. i thought we were putting away our hash?   icon_confused 

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 04, 2008, 05:05:58 PM

so a movie can overcome bad plot and even worse dialog by simply being tongue in cheek?

This is where your confusion kicks in as you clearly don't get the concept of context.

A movie that is tongue in cheek often employs silliness of plot as a part of the overall effect. IE, Shoot 'em Up wouldn't be the same movie if it had a serious or less ridiculous plot. It was intended and designed that way. I'm pretty confident that the writers of Wanted, on the other hand, didn't want you laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of their plot. They wanted you to take the plot seriously as a part of this special-effects action movie. In Wanted the plot is central to the movie. In Shoot 'em Up it is incidental to the movie. When you get that distinction, you'll understand why one of them was good and the other sucks... and the one that sucks is called "Wanted" slywink
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »

Something can be ridiculous and good.  Something else can be ridiculous and bad.  It's all about execution.

eh
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:18:00 PM by kratz » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2008, 05:21:30 PM »

A movie that is tongue in cheek often employs silliness of plot as a part of the overall effect.

<edited to be 90 percent less aggressive since that wasn't my intent...it was just pre-lunch talk   icon_biggrin>

Let's just put it this way:  you're operating under the assumption that those of us who enjoyed it were expecting to feel challenged by the plot.  It was based on a comic book about a guild of super assassins.  I don't believe any of us were expecting to walk out of the theater talking about the story.  We enjoyed it for what it was, just as we enjoyed Shoot 'em Up for what it was:  a light popcorn flick for a saturday afternoon matinee.  The focus of each and every commercial for both films was decidedly on the action.  That should serve as some indication that the makers of Wanted weren't out to draw in the same crowds as those found in Terms of Endearment. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:01:15 PM by hepcat » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2008, 06:23:20 PM »

I think we all went into these movies with the same hope... that they would be over the top, fun, good for what they were... 

In my opinion, Shoot 'Em Up delivered, while Wanted did not.  I just did not enjoy the movie, but do enjoy other movies that are trying to provide a similar experience, such as Shoot 'Em Up.  I'm not looking for Terms of Endearment (ever!), I'm just looking for good... Wanted was not good.

I mean, I obviously went to Wanted because I thought I'd enjoy it, not because I just wanted to waste $8 on something I expected to hate.

Your argument seems to be that because it had what could perhaps be described as 'low' aspirations that it couldn't be bad...  for me, it quite clearly WAS bad.  Horrible, even.  My enjoyment of Shoot 'Em Up speaks to my enjoyment of what the genre COULD offer... point being, it's not the opinion of someone who thinks that all over the top action movies are bad on principle...
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2008, 06:28:23 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 04, 2008, 05:21:30 PM

A movie that is tongue in cheek often employs silliness of plot as a part of the overall effect.

<edited to be 90 percent less aggressive since that wasn't my intent...it was just pre-lunch talk   icon_biggrin>

Let's just put it this way:  you're operating under the assumption that those of us who enjoyed it were expecting to feel challenged by the plot.  It was based on a comic book about a guild of super assassins.  I don't believe any of us were expecting to walk out of the theater talking about the story.  We enjoyed it for what it was, just as we enjoyed Shoot 'em Up for what it was:  a light popcorn flick for a saturday afternoon matinee.  The focus of each and every commercial for both films was decidedly on the action.  That should serve as some indication that the makers of Wanted weren't out to draw in the same crowds as those found in Terms of Endearment. 

I'm right and you're wrong biggrin PS. I haven't even seen Wanted  ninja
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 04, 2008, 06:23:20 PM

Your argument seems to be that because it had what could perhaps be described as 'low' aspirations that it couldn't be bad...  for me, it quite clearly WAS bad.  Horrible, even.  My enjoyment of Shoot 'Em Up speaks to my enjoyment of what the genre COULD offer... point being, it's not the opinion of someone who thinks that all over the top action movies are bad on principle...

Define what aspirations you assign a good action movie and perhaps this conversation can have some substance.  As it stands, we're purely in the realm of personal taste at this point.  Assigning the status of "truth" to yours is ridiculous. 

You speak of potential in an action film.  However, the only potential you seem to be expecting is...well...action.  I felt both both films delivered on that.  If you were also looking for a challenging story (or something you haven't mentioned so far) to justify the action, then why belittle Wanted while giving a free pass to Shoot 'em Up?  Purely because you felt that Shoot 'em Up was built from the ground up with a bad story?  and that the director knew this?  Your expectations for film making are going to make Uwe Boll a rich man, my friend. 

I'm right and you're wrong  icon_biggrin PS. I haven't even seen Wanted  ninja.

Would you be willing to give your informed opinion on interstellar travel as well?  It would work well within the context of your posts here after that admission.   Tongue

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:51:26 PM by hepcat » Logged

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2008, 06:50:59 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 04, 2008, 06:35:53 PM

I'm right and you're wrong  icon_biggrin PS. I haven't even seen Wanted  ninja.

Would you be willing to give your informed opinion on interstellar travel as well?  It would work well within the context of your posts here after that admission.   Tongue
[/quote]

Well to be entirely fair, I did state earlier in the thread that I hadn't seen it slywink

But, I will say interstellar travel is overall a positive experience. The jetlag is a bitch though.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »

Your expectations for film making are going to make Uwe Boll a rich man, my friend. 

That makes no sense.  If this thread has done nothing else, it has established that I am a more critical movie goer than you are.  Of the movies in question, you have enjoyed more of them than I have.  Logically (and by 'logically', I mean in terms of the level of logic displayed in this thread), it follows that you are more likely to enjoy a Uwe Boll movie than I am.

What is going to make Uwe Boll a rich man is your enjoyment of crappy movies.

Like Wanted.

Which was horrible.  Throughout this thread I've related several reasons for my opinion.  There is no point in continuing the discussion if at this point you think that "the only potential [ I ] seem to be expecting is... well... action".  If you want more specific examples, I will have to disappoint you, as it's been months since I saw that piece of shit, and I remember little about it now other than disliking it intensely, feeling the dialog, plot, action and acting were all of a very low quality.  I believe I even nodded off during the big finale.

In the end, yes, it's my opinion.  But I win the argument, because I'm right. So there.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:06:51 PM by kratz » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2008, 08:03:42 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 04, 2008, 07:55:29 PM

Your expectations for film making are going to make Uwe Boll a rich man, my friend. 

That makes no sense.  If this thread has done nothing else, it has established that I am a more critical movie goer than you are.  Of the movies in question, you have enjoyed more of them than I have.  Logically (and by 'logically', I mean in terms of the level of logic displayed in this thread), it follows that you are more likely to enjoy a Uwe Boll movie than I am.

wow, talk about nonsensical.

there have been two movies in question:  Wanted and Shoot 'em Up.  Two.

You "win" the argument because in your head you're always right.  this will serve you well in life, as i'm sure it already has.

I'm still chuckling over your assertion that because you liked Shoot 'em Up that you're a more critical movie goer than I.  It's like stating to the world that you should take over for Ebert when he retires because you liked Earnest Goes to Prison over Earnest Goes to Summer Camp.   icon_lol

Thanks for the laughs, though!

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »

Let me dumb that down and we'll try it again...

You somehow made a leap in logic that because I liked Shoot 'Em Up and didn't like Wanted, that I must like shitty movies like Uwe Boll makes... I made a joke that by using that level of logic, this thread proves that I'm a more critical movie goer, as I only liked 50% of the movies being discussed, while you liked 100% of the movies being discussed, and as a result, you would be the one more likely to enjoy Uwe's next opus.

Back to the meat of the argument... as mentioned, there are many examples of the things that I did not enjoy about Wanted and the things that I did enjoy that Shoot 'Em Up did differently (and, in my opinion, which is all we are talking about here anyway, did better).  If you want to have a discussion with someone, you should try to read what they have written instead of drawing arbitrary conclusions because you don't like their argument.

You realize OO is back up, right?  They love arguing there...

I'm just saying...
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »

I thought Shoot 'Em Up was awful, regardless of intent.  The action, while intending to be over the top, was so beyond the realm of entertainment that it just fell completely flat.  While I understand the point of Shoot 'Em Up being over the top for the sake of being over the top, I gained little to no entertainment from the film and was rather disappointed given the reviews some posted here on GT.  And yet while I haven't seen Wanted yet, my wife and her friend enjoyed it and suggested I pick it up as they considered it to be a fun action yarn based on a pretty cool comic book story.

Obviously until I see Wanted I am unable to determine which I prefer when comparing Shoot 'Em Up to Wanted, but I can tell you that having seen Shoot 'Em Up, I struggle to understand why anyone would enjoy that mess.  Hell, I'll take the Transporter series over Shoot 'Em Up, and I actually do have reasonable taste in films.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2008, 08:27:31 PM »

Now who's not reading the other's posts?  My point was that you yourself admitted that the maker of Shoot 'em Up knew he had a ridiculously bad story backing up his film.  The primary reason you gave for liking it was because the director knew that it had a goofy ass story behind it.   I gave a reason for my "leap in logic" which actually makes it more of a bunny hop in contextual reading.

I still feel that a film being self aware is in and of itself not a hallmark of good film making.  The other reasons you state are purely opinion based.

as for accusing me of being argumentative?  you really don't wanna go down that road.  you enter posts almost on a daily basis to yell out expletives about topics and people. you belittle folks all the time.  it's your "thing". 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:41:08 PM by hepcat » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2008, 08:29:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 04, 2008, 08:27:31 PM

as for accusing me of being argumentative?  you really don't wanna go down that road.  you enter posts almost on a daily basis to yell out expletives about topics and people. you belittle folks all the time.  it's your "thing".

Huh?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »

your initial post on this page started off with

Bullshit.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: