http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:49:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movies] Wanted impressions  (Read 8568 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »

Well, just got back from watching Wanted.  It is a very popcorn high-energy 'geek to hero' fun flick.  Some of the lines feel a bit stilted (swearing from Morgan Freeman just sounds...wrong, as an example) but overall I thought it was a fun ride.  Don't go expecting a great deal of story arc, but go for a good mindless action flick.  Think 300.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 09:17:59 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 28, 2008, 08:56:32 PM

Think 300.

Thanks, you just saved me $11.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »

hahaha yeah just got back myself.  Agree with everything you said KD.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 03:14:52 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 28, 2008, 09:17:59 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 28, 2008, 08:56:32 PM

Think 300.

Thanks, you just saved me $11.

That also may have prevented taking up a spot on my Netflix queue.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 03:29:29 AM »

I enjoyed 300 more than Wanted
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55:10 PM »

I loved it from start to finish.  I kind of get the reference to 300 (which I also loved), but this is still a very different genre of film.  Tons of great action sequences and visual effects and "over the top of the top" kind of fun.

What I think is understated about the movie is just how good a cast they assembled.  The material is only so good, but with a lesser cast it would be harder to swallow.  I am a total James McAvoy fanboy now, and while most reviews seem to ignore/dismiss his performance here, I think he is what carries the movie and makes it believable from a character standpoint.  He plays the nobody nerd to perfection, conveys fear and pain from being tortured perfectly, and shifts to the sexy hero effortlessly.  And man, those beautiful blue eyes... oh yeah  nod   Angelina Jolie is good, too, giving an almost understated performance yet standing out in all of her scenes.  I read she deliberately removed a lot of her dialog while filming, and it works - she conveys so much with just a single look.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 06:50:25 PM »

Saw it yesterday afternoon.  It's a perfect matinee, popcorn film.  It doesn't try to insert a preachy subplot and feels comfortable in its role as simply an action film...something that seems to be a problem for many big name action films.  I don't mind political or social relevance in my action films, but it's oftentimes forced in like an afterthought by annoying actors who seem to think they know better than anyone else what's good for the country and the world at large.

But Wanted is like Shoot 'em Up (another recent fave of mine) in that it's there to display great gun fights and over the top action.  However, unlike Shoot 'em Up, Wanted has a better story with a fully developed (albeit hard to swallow at times and containing more than a few little holes) story driving it.

I highly recommend it!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:01:29 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 05:10:01 AM »

Dumbest movie I've seen this year after the Indy movie, which I walked out of early. I was about to walk out of this one about 40 minutes into it but my girlfriend's sister was with us from out of town and I couldn't gauge whether she was enjoying the movie or not. The action sequences wish they were half as good as The Matrix, the cast was lame (Morgan always rocks though) to me, whoever the main dude was was a horrible choice, they should have went that Apple commercial geek that played sidekick to Bruce Willis in the latest Die Hard, he would have at least pulled off the comedic dialogue better. The writing and the script are something I would have expected out of a high school film class, there wasn't a single moment I admired any of the writing or plot. The best thing about this movie was the trailers that preceded it, I think Death Run is going to be pretty cool (I half thought it was going to be a movie adaptation of Twisted Metal with Mr. Dungeon Siege in it).

I miss the golden days when action movies weren't entirely mindless, I feel like a bitter old man constantly having to rag on these movies.

Also a huge negative is Jolie is anorexic these days so I couldn't even at least enjoy staring at her.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:12:46 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 12:47:55 PM »

So would this be like the TV show, "Chuck" on steroids?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 12:53:14 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 02, 2008, 05:10:01 AM

I miss the golden days when action movies weren't entirely mindless, I feel like a bitter old man constantly having to rag on these movies.

I agree.  We need more highbrow action films like Action Jackson and Invasion USA. 
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »

Quote from: Austin on July 02, 2008, 12:47:55 PM

It's like "Chuck." Without the funny. Or the hotness. Or the fun.

I liked Wanted well enough, but it and "Chuck" are apples and oranges. With "Chuck" being a really good apple (or orange if you like them better), and Wanted being, "Oh, hey. Orange."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on July 02, 2008, 01:01:18 PM

Quote from: Austin on July 02, 2008, 12:47:55 PM

It's like "Chuck." Without the funny. Or the hotness. Or the fun.

I liked Wanted well enough, but it and "Chuck" are apples and oranges. With "Chuck" being a really good apple (or orange if you like them better), and Wanted being, "Oh, hey. Orange."

Heh.  We do like Chuck.  Still knowing my wife and myself, I think we'd like Wanted okay but it'll wait for DVD as there are too many other movies we haven't seen yet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »

well, since Hancock is horrible, I think I'll go see this one this coming weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 02, 2008, 12:53:14 PM

I agree.  We need more highbrow action films like Action Jackson and Invasion USA. 

Heh, there's always going to be second-rate movies. I'm talking about the days when the likes of James Cameron and Steven Spielberg were at the helm of some great action flicks like Terminator and Jurassic Park, even remakes of classic movies like Indiana Jones are victim to the same shortcomings in Hollywood today.

Although, I do think The Dark Knight is going to rule the universe.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 02, 2008, 02:19:50 PM

well, since Hancock is horrible, I think I'll go see this one this coming weekend.

It is?

Sean Lama
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 02, 2008, 05:02:30 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 02, 2008, 02:19:50 PM

It is?

Unfortunately.

And that review comes from someone who was excited to see it.  It really is an unfortunate mess of missed potential, poor editing, and an unclear story. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 02, 2008, 05:01:47 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 02, 2008, 12:53:14 PM

Heh, there's always going to be second-rate movies. I'm talking about the days when the likes of James Cameron and Steven Spielberg were at the helm of some great action flicks like Terminator and Jurassic Park, even remakes of classic movies like Indiana Jones are victim to the same shortcomings in Hollywood today.

Although, I do think The Dark Knight is going to rule the universe.

Eh, I think that's just typical nostalgia where we remember the good and great stuff and tend to forget all of the awful dreck. 

I think action movies are probably as good as they have ever been, and probably better just in terms of basic technical competency though I personally do prefer good old fashioned stunts to CGI but that's just the way the industry is these days. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 05:40:59 PM »

I have to laugh when I read some of the vehement diatribes against films and then go back and check out some of their previous posts.

day 5:  Wanted sucks!  It's mindless!

day 3: I thought Resident Evil 2 was great!

day 1:  The Sex and the City movie isn't that bad!

icon_lol

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »

I went with a couple of buddies last night...  holy shit it was terrible.

There were no surprises in the plot... completely predictable, cliched.  Bad dialog... a few action sequences that were sort of fun... a pretty good shot of Angelina Jolie's naked ass... a premise that redefines idiotic, and that's on top of the already pretty damn dumb bullet bending premise.

Totally just pandering to the lowest common denominator.  I cringed the second the shitty voice over started, and it just got worse from there.

My buddy Miguel, who thought Smokin' Aces was the best movie to come out last year, who likes everything bad, thought it sucked... that's how bad it was.

I'm astounded at the cast they convinced to do the movie... did they not read the script?  I'm also astounded that it got favorable reviews...

Don't go anywhere near this, even on DVD.  This made 300 look like The Departed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:38:52 PM by kratz » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 03:38:09 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 01, 2008, 06:50:25 PM

But Wanted is like Shoot 'em Up (another recent fave of mine) in that it's there to display great gun fights and over the top action.  However, unlike Shoot 'em Up, Wanted has a better story with a fully developed (albeit hard to swallow at times and containing more than a few little holes) story driving it.

What the ...?

Shoot 'Em Up was on a *completely* different level, and, very importantly, never took itself seriously... Wanted never laughs at itself even for a second.  It actually expects us to think that this retarded premise is awesome.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 03, 2008, 03:38:09 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 01, 2008, 06:50:25 PM

What the ...?

Shoot 'Em Up was on a *completely* different level, and, very importantly, never took itself seriously... Wanted never laughs at itself even for a second.  It actually expects us to think that this retarded premise is awesome.

I never said that it was passing itself off as a retelling of Henry the VIII, for christ's sake.  I said that it at least contained a story.  I love Wanted, but it was purely a vehicle for the gunfights.  The story was so full of holes that when i saw it at a cinema it actually allowed the film being played in the theater next door to pass through it at times.  Wanted, while also full of holes, at least tried to establish some backstory for its characters, enabling viewers to understand the protagonist's actions. 

I honestly thought Wanted didn't take itself as seriously as it could given the plot that evolves throughout the film.  If you didn't understand that some of the film's subplots were basically laughing nods to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and the Matrix...well...I don't know how to respond to that diplomatically.   icon_biggrin

It actually expects us to think that this retarded premise is awesome.

No, I think that's more a fault on your part.    slywink
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:16:04 PM by hepcat » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 03, 2008, 04:03:40 PM

I honestly thought Wanted didn't take itself as seriously as it could given the plot that evolves throughout the film.  If you didn't understand that some of the film's subplots were basically laughing nods to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and the Matrix...well...I don't know how to respond to that diplomatically.   icon_biggrin

If so, the writers of this film were not smart enough to be doing it on purpose.

Also, I think you meant to type that you 'loved Shoot 'Em Up, but it was purely a vehicle for the gunfights.'

Shoot 'Em Up was much smarter, told a better story, *had better action* (which is a big deal when you are making a silly action flick, which they both were) and did not have the completely ridiculous jumps in logic that Wanted trotted out every 5 minutes.  What passed for back story for the characters was either done in a crappy voice over (show, don't tell!), or a total cliche to serve as explanation for the implausibility of the basic premise (the Jolie 'origin' story... ugh, I think they got the idea for that one from a 4th grader).  Shoot 'Em Up had a much simpler, more easily maintained story that didn't have to spend as much time explaining itself, and could just serve as the backdrop for some fun shoot 'em up.

Wanted made the mistake of having a totally hackneyed story with no surprises (oh, that's his dad? didn't see that coming!), but still thought it was being terribly clever and hitting you with some real 'gotcha!' moments.  For me, it failed on almost every level.  I mean honestly, we all could've done with a lot more naked Angelina Jolie.

Quote from: hepcat on July 03, 2008, 04:03:40 PM

It actually expects us to think that this retarded premise is awesome.

No, I think that's more a fault on your part.    slywink

So... you thought that the retarded premise was awesome? Alright.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 30, 2008, 08:55:10 PM

What I think is understated about the movie is just how good a cast they assembled.  The material is only so good, but with a lesser cast it would be harder to swallow.  I am a total James McAvoy fanboy now, and while most reviews seem to ignore/dismiss his performance here, I think he is what carries the movie and makes it believable from a character standpoint.  He plays the nobody nerd to perfection, conveys fear and pain from being tortured perfectly, and shifts to the sexy hero effortlessly.  And man, those beautiful blue eyes... oh yeah  nod   Angelina Jolie is good, too, giving an almost understated performance yet standing out in all of her scenes.  I read she deliberately removed a lot of her dialog while filming, and it works - she conveys so much with just a single look.

"The material is only so good" is another way of saying it was terrible. I got drowsy and practically fell asleep during this action movie.  Can they have been more predictable turning scared little nerd boy into confident action hero with a few days of matrix boot camp training?
Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't care how much adrenaline you have, nobody is jumping through a high rise window with enough momentum to carry them across the street to the next building while firing away on their guns.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 03, 2008, 04:53:27 PM

"The material is only so good" is another way of saying it was terrible.

Indeed.

Quote from: Moliere on July 03, 2008, 04:53:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't care how much adrenaline you have, nobody is jumping through a high rise window with enough momentum to carry them across the street to the next building while firing away on their guns.

See... that really doesn't bother me... that's the sort of implausibility that I can let slide in the name of having fun... but taken with everything else, it just collapses under the weight of the combined suck.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 03, 2008, 04:48:21 PM

no, i was simply hinting that if you were looking for an awesome story in a summer action film yet loved "Shoot 'Em Up" then your future as a movie critic is seriously in doubt.    icon_wink

Shoot 'Em Up was much smarter, told a better story

To quote your earlier post:  "What the....?"

(the Jolie 'origin' story... ugh, I think they got the idea for that one from a 4th grader). 

Jesus, what kind of 4th graders are you freakin' hanging out with?   icon_lol

What passed for back story for the characters was either done in a crappy voice over (show, don't tell!)

yeah, you're right...remember that extended flashback scene explaining Mr. Smith's backstory...oh wait...there wasn't one!

apparently you and I both saw a film called "Shoot 'Em Up".  The only problem is that you're remembering it incorrectly.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:14:18 PM by hepcat » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 03, 2008, 05:05:11 PM

Quote from: kratz on July 03, 2008, 04:48:21 PM

no, i was simply stating that if you were looking for an awesome story in a summer action film yet loved "Shoot 'Em Up" then your future as a movie critic is seriously in doubt.    icon_wink

Yeah, I was not really referring to the story, but to the premise.  As I was saying in my last reply, Shoot 'Em Up had a simple story, but one that worked.  Wanted was trying to be too complicated with the story, but failing at both being complicated (because it was so 'done'), and failing at filling in the gaps.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Specifically, that there is an automatic loom that is spitting out a hit list.  It's controlled by 'fate'. wtf?

Shoot 'Em Up was much smarter, told a better story

To quote your earlier post:  "What the....?"

Did we see the same movies?

(the Jolie 'origin' story... ugh, I think they got the idea for that one from a 4th grader). 

Jesus, what kind of 4th graders are you freakin' hanging out with?   icon_lol

In terms of 'oh, I need to convince a character to do something... I'll do it with a story this character who is already here happens to conveniently have lying around! 

What passed for back story for the characters was either done in a crappy voice over (show, don't tell!)

yeah, you're right...remember that extended flashback scene explaining Mr. Smith's backstory...oh wait...there wasn't one!

You think that's how you show a backstory?  What made the backstory in SEU effective was the lack of the 'This happened, then this happened, then this happened' voiceover (preceded, I might add, by a 'This happened then this happened' prologue)... they just let the character establish himself, and then let slip a few key nuggets about his past as part of a conversation the bad guys are having about him... then they let you fill in the blanks yourself.  It's smarter, and it gives the audience credit for being smart enough to both figure some stuff out on their own and engage them in their individual perception of the character.  With Wanted, we were told absolutely everything about the character throughout the whole movie.  There wasn't any depth to *any* of the characters.

Now, I'm not saying that Shoot 'Em Up was a masterpiece of character development... but for mindless action, it was just a much smarter, better made and more entertaining film.

apparently you and I both saw a film called "Shoot 'Em Up".  The only problem is that you're remembering it incorrectly.   icon_biggrin

Fondly... remembering it fondly.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 05:50:23 PM »

You think that's how you show a backstory?  What made the backstory in SEU effective was the lack of the 'This happened, then this happened, then this happened' voiceover (preceded, I might add, by a 'This happened then this happened' prologue)... they just let the character establish himself, and then let slip a few key nuggets about his past as part of a conversation the bad guys are having about him... then they let you fill in the blanks yourself.  It's smarter, and it gives the audience credit for being smart enough to both figure some stuff out on their own and engage them in their individual perception of the character.  With Wanted, we were told absolutely everything about the character throughout the whole movie.  There wasn't any depth to *any* of the characters.

my example was "a way" not the "only way".  you're assigning the term "smart" because Shoot 'Em Up appealed to you more than Wanted apparently has.  However, let's not assume for one second that your opinion is fact.  i would go so far as to say that the off hand comment from the antagonist in Shoot 'Em Up was far dumber than the standard linear method used for the presentation of the backstory for the main character in Wanted. 

you also seem to work under the misconception that obfuscation equals clever.  simply put, no...it doesn't.  the minuscule amount of information given the audience in Shoot 'Em Up for Mr. Smith does not display even one iota of cleverness.  Nor does it give the audience the ability to go home feeling like they've been mentally challenged by the film.   icon_lol

Wanted, as I've stated from post 1, is an action film on par with Shoot 'Em Up.  Both are good at what they do:  giving the audience over the top action.  Neither aspire to anything higher.  if you believe Wanted was trying to do so, then I feel you misunderstood the intention of the film.  I felt that the story in Wanted (and I've already admitted it's full of holes) was a bit stronger than the nearly non-existent one presented in Shoot 'Em Up.  Neither are going to win an Oscar, however.  This is why I used Shoot 'Em Up for comparison purposes and not Lawrence of Arabia.

In the long run, the films we're using as examples of smart vs. dumb action films makes this discussion kind of goofy.  They're both ridiculously unbelievable action films.  I liked both, you liked one.  let's shake and come out laughing.    icon_wink
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:04:13 PM by hepcat » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 06:12:11 PM »

You get so cranky.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 03, 2008, 06:12:11 PM

You get so cranky.

me?  i suggested we shake and laugh. 

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 06:29:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 03, 2008, 05:50:23 PM

Wanted, as I've stated from post 1, is an action film on par with Shoot 'Em Up.  Both are good at what they do:  giving the audience over the top action.  Neither aspire to anything higher.  if you believe Wanted was trying to do so, then I feel you misunderstood the intention of the film. 

I think you are completely incorrect in your assessment above. Shoot 'Em Up succeeds where Wanted fails because Shoot 'Em Up is comfortable being an over the top action flick and in fact revels in it, while Wanted wants to have story and depth that it just can't maintain... or even establish.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:30:53 PM by kratz » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 03, 2008, 06:29:10 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 03, 2008, 05:50:23 PM

Wanted, as I've stated from post 1, is an action film on par with Shoot 'Em Up.  Both are good at what they do:  giving the audience over the top action.  Neither aspire to anything higher.  if you believe Wanted was trying to do so, then I feel you misunderstood the intention of the film. 

Yeah, you are misunderstanding me if you think that I expected Wanted to be anything other than an over the top action film... I just don't think it was good at it.  Shoot 'Em Up succeeds where Wanted fails because Shoot 'Em Up is comfortable being an over the top action flick and in fact revels in it, while Wanted wants to have story and depth that it just can't maintain... or even establish.

and those opinions are fine.  i just disagree with them.  i thought Shoot 'Em Up and Wanted succeeded and I felt that both were "comfortable" with what they were.  As I noted earlier, at no time did i feel that i was being preached to or that the film aspired to be anything more than an action film.  you felt that it did, although i don't see how you can justify that feeling without getting hold of the writer or director and having him post in this thread that that was his intent.  However, the opposite holds true for my side of the discussion as well.  therefore all we can do is discuss this issue using opinions as our only source of proof.  unless "having a feeling" has become admissible in most courts of law?  in that case, i feel OJ was guilty and demand a retrial!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:35:31 PM by hepcat » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »

I feel he was guilty as well.

In the end, I wasn't comfortable with what Wanted was, regardless of its aspirations...
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »

I kind of think it's odd that some of the criticisms toward Wanted are about it taking itself too seriously.  The opening shot with the guy running through the window to the other building was so over the top, I never once thought the movie was going to take itself seriously.  Not to mention the curving bullets hitting each other and the car nab sequence or the car going over the other one.  Were we watching the same movie?  The whole thing was hyper on steroids whacked out stylized action, and in that sense it was similar to me in feel to Shoot 'Em Up.  A year from now I will likely only remember a few sequences from the movie, exactly the same as my memories from Shoot 'Em Up.  Anyway, to each his own, I really enjoyed it.

Of course I am biased because I'm in love with James McAvoy but that's completely beside the point  icon_cool
yossar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 09:24:11 PM »

I was discussing the plot with my friend a bit after the movie and I was surprised at how few holes there actually were (how is using a loom to see the future any stranger than using tarot cards or goat entrails?) .  Predictable, maybe (I'm really bad at thinking ahead while I'm watching something so I didn't see it coming), and the story and dialogue weren't terribly inspired, but at least the plot held together.  The action scenes were completely over the top and ridiculous, but the movie would have been pointless if they weren't. 
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 01:30:01 AM »

Just got back from the theatre. I liked it. It was silly but the action was fun and the characters were interesting.

Though the comparisons to Shoot 'Em Up kept me from seeing it for a week. That was hands down the worst movie I saw last year at the theatre. (Ultraviolet was the worst on DVD, ugh.) IMHO the two movies aren't even in the same league. Wanted at least tried to have some point. Shoot 'Em Up just pissed me off.

I do like Timur Bekambetov's direction too. He did the two Russian "Nightwatch" and "Daywatch" movies and they were interesting for sure. I wish he'd left the damn shaky-cam out though. I'd have given it a whole 'nother star without the shaky-cam.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 05:04:49 PM »

My wife and I enjoyed it. Sure there was some goofy stuff in there...no surprise.

Train wreck was awesome.

Angelina needs to eat several gallons of ice cream.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 11:35:46 PM »

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 12:00:12 AM »

Quote from: Mookee on July 13, 2008, 11:35:46 PM

One of my favorite parts. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 12:33:03 AM »

I saw this on Friday and had a great time.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 01:25:15 AM »

I liked it.

Definitely a "Comic Book" Movie.

(and re: comparisons to Shoot "em Up - IMO *that* movie sucked worse than Snakes on a Plane)

Spawn of OO Collective
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: