http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:25:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movies] James Cameron's Avatar  (Read 20958 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2010, 11:49:16 PM »

Finally got around to seeing this today.  I went in thinking that Avatar could not possibly live up to the hype.  I was dead wrong.  While the story is nothing particularly special, those are the most incredible visuals I've ever seen on film.  i was completely blown away by what they were able to do, and hope that I get the chance to catch it again while still in theaters.  That being said, I'm not sure I'll ever bother picking it up on DVD.  Without the 3D effects, Avatar goes from a "Holy Crap Awesome/Amazing/Incredible" movie to just a pretty good sci-fi/action film.

Mrs. Gratch, on the other hand, said that the 3D during sequences with a lot of camera movements gave her a massive headache.  She was fine with it during the slower moments, but it got to be a bit much during the final sequence.

Side note:  To the guy that brought his 6 and 3 year old to see this (the latter of whom walked out of the movie in tears), you deserve every sleepless minute you get when those poor kids are having nightmares for the next 3 weeks.  And to the lady who brought her 3-month-old...fark you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:03:44 AM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2010, 01:25:59 AM »

My 5 year-old girl loved it.  There wasn't anything in it to give her nightmares, really. 

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2010, 01:39:37 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 15, 2010, 11:49:16 PM

Mrs. Gratch, on the other hand, said that the 3D during sequences with a lot of camera movements gave her a massive headache.  She was fine with it during the slower moments, but it got to be a bit much during the final sequence.

IMAX or non?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2010, 01:57:38 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 16, 2010, 01:39:37 AM

IMAX or non?

Non, as I'd heard varying reports on the 3D quality on IMAX.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »

My wife and I saw it in 3D over the weekend.  Just an amazing film - the creativity and visuals were awesome.  And I was also amazed that the theater was almost full for the matinee showing, especially as long as the film's been in release.

Cameron's a stud though - talk about being able to write your own ticket for his future films.

And what's the over/under for sequels on Avatar - 3?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 16, 2010, 01:57:38 AM

IMAX or non?

Interesting... the only concerns I'd heard with the 3D quality were for the Digital 3D rather than the IMAX 3D. icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2010, 08:30:19 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 16, 2010, 08:00:33 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 16, 2010, 01:57:38 AM

IMAX or non?

Interesting... the only concerns I'd heard with the 3D quality were for the Digital 3D rather than the IMAX 3D. icon_neutral

The IMAX showing me and the wife went to was rather poor in terms of 3D quality. We got prime seats too (dead center, 1 row up from center walkway). Lots of the 3D seemed slighty off in terms of the actually 3D effect. Slower shots were not too bad, but faster shots were really not that good (in our opinion). My wife even made the comment that she thought she would have liked it better with no 3D. This was at the IMAX in Nashville Oprymills
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 16, 2010, 01:25:59 AM

My 5 year-old girl loved it.  There wasn't anything in it to give her nightmares, really. 

Except the frightening creatures chasing characters through the forest?  The brutal, intense razing of an entire village, complete with parents and children fleeing and watching loved ones be killed?  The loud, intense battle sequences where major characters are killed and multiple on screen deaths?  The cussing and threats of hardened military men?  Or the close up, vicious impalement of the main bad guy in the climax of the movie?

To say nothing of the emotional and motivational implications of all these actions, most of which probably aren't understood by a 5 year old?

As a father of a 8, 6 and newborn, I would never in a million years think my kids would be ready to handle something like Avatar.  I'm sure you love your daughter very much, but exposing young kids to that kind of thing can have repercussions on her fragile psyche that might not even manifest until later.  Kids simply aren't equipped to deal with that kind of imagery, particularly in a movie designed to be as immersive as Avatar.  She might not have anything like blatent nightmares, or at least not that she tells you about, but that doesn't mean that she goes unaffected.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on February 16, 2010, 08:45:40 PM

Except the frightening creatures chasing characters through the forest?  The brutal, intense razing of an entire village, complete with parents and children fleeing and watching loved ones be killed?  The loud, intense battle sequences where major characters are killed and multiple on screen deaths?  The cussing and threats of hardened military men?  Or the close up, vicious impalement of the main bad guy in the climax of the movie?

To say nothing of the emotional and motivational implications of all these actions, most of which probably aren't understood by a 5 year old?

As a father of a 8, 6 and newborn, I would never in a million years think my kids would be ready to handle something like Avatar.  I'm sure you love your daughter very much, but exposing young kids to that kind of thing can have repercussions on her fragile psyche that might not even manifest until later.  Kids simply aren't equipped to deal with that kind of imagery, particularly in a movie designed to be as immersive as Avatar.  She might not have anything like blatent nightmares, or at least not that she tells you about, but that doesn't mean that she goes unaffected.

This is getting on a touchy but interesting subject (child rearing and choices parents make for what their kids should or should not be allowed to be exposed to).  I have no kids myself but I've often wondered about some of the things my sister does with her kids.  The 2 older girls have mostly been sheltered and as kids were too scared to see a majority of movies (they were afraid of the theater itself) but the younger boy (just turned 5) is kind of a little maniac and loves anything with fighting in it, and has been watching fairly intense stuff for quite a while.  He grew up watching the Avatar cartoon (Airbender) as well as TMNT and other fighting material.  He's watched the X-Men movies a bunch of times and I just got him the Transformers movies; he's pretty much obsessed with anything having to do with superheroes (Marvel in particular).  If there's no action he gets bored and starts running around himself.

I don't have much of a point to make except to say it's fairly clear that different children have different tolerance levels and personalities, and obviously different parents have different philosophies on how to handle their kids.  I used to "preview" movies to try to tell my sister if I thought they were OK for my nephew, but apparently I was way over-conservative for what he likes to watch.  My parents used to take me to see Chinese martial arts movies as a kid and those were pretty brutal (lots of head chopping, etc).  Now what kind of psychological effects this will have long term I really don't know, but I do think it's an interesting topic.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 17, 2010, 04:04:05 AM »

Quote from: Rowdy on February 16, 2010, 08:45:40 PM

My 5 year-old girl loved it.  There wasn't anything in it to give her nightmares, really.  

Except the frightening creatures chasing characters through the forest?  The brutal, intense razing of an entire village, complete with parents and children fleeing and watching loved ones be killed?  The loud, intense battle sequences where major characters are killed and multiple on screen deaths?  The cussing and threats of hardened military men?  Or the close up, vicious impalement of the main bad guy in the climax of the movie?

As a father of a 8, 6 and newborn, I would never in a million years think my kids would be ready to handle something like Avatar.  I'm sure you love your daughter very much, but exposing young kids to that kind of thing can have repercussions on her fragile psyche that might not even manifest until later.  Kids simply aren't equipped to deal with that kind of imagery, particularly in a movie designed to be as immersive as Avatar.  She might not have anything like blatent nightmares, or at least not that she tells you about, but that doesn't mean that she goes unaffected.

I know my kids better than you.  I would not have taken my son when he was 5 to see it.  I would (and did) my daughter.  The reason is I know what she can handle and how things impact her.  I know her very well and none of the stuff you mentioned bothered her.  She's also watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy with me as well.  I wouldn't just take her to any PG-13 movie...has to have certain elements to it.

You're definitely right, though, that much of it isn't understood by a 5-year-old.  Most of what you named, she also didn't pay attention to.  The thrill of the movie was the beautiful 3D world. She also liked the creatures (even the ones that chase).  She doesn't talk at all about the things you mentioned...what stands out to her is the world and what an amazing thing to behold it was.  She's never talked about the impalement or the other violent aspects of the movie and we've discussed it afterwards.  Just doesn't matter to her and that's another reason I trust her when I occasionally let her watch something above her level.

She's a tough little kid...she's been through a few surgeries already (starting at age 3) and will have a few more, so she knows about far scarier real-life stuff.  She is so much tougher than my 11-year-old son.  Also keep in mind that I don't let her watch this stuff non-stop.  Very rare, but I just knew she'd love Avatar and I was right.

So, it's cool that this movie isn't appropriate for your kids, but keep in mind I felt it was appropriate for her (and would not have been appropriate for my son had he been that age when he saw it).  Before you judge, just remember that I gave it a good deal of thought.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:09:49 AM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 17, 2010, 04:33:27 AM »

Nice response, Grue.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 17, 2010, 04:33:27 AM

Nice response, Grue.

+1 Very well put, Grue.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »

ummm... wow....  icon_lol
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:13:06 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2010, 08:08:00 AM

At first I was  saywhat, but then I  icon_lol

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 01, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »

I finally got around to seeing it in 3-D on Saturday. The 3-D worked great, and had no ill effects from the glasses (which I wore over my regular, very thick eyeglasses).

I really enjoyed it. I totally see the Dances With Wolves comparisons, though I question the idea that nobody can ever make another movie about a soldier who has a crisis of conscience and joins the opposing side without being compared to a 1992 Kevin Costner movie.  icon_neutral I certainly wouldn't say the screenplay's any great shakes, but when has a James Cameron screenplay ever really been great shakes? He actually almost derides Aliens these days, but I think he did a better job of etching memorable characters there then he has in most of his most blockbusters since (Aliens "only" made about $86 million in 1986).

I had a great time, and as visual spectacle and reasonably satisfying story, I had no complaints. I may not see it as Best Picture, but it certainly deserves some sort of technology/effects special award. I'm just skeptical it will immediately generate a wave of clones because who has that sort of budget and carries that kind of weight with studios to even get a movie like that made? Though surely the tech will eventually get cheaper, and then it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I read an interesting article about whether actors who do the "motion capture" stuff are really "acting" as much as "real-life" actors (Avatar got no acting nominations in any awards competitions to speak of). And then the Wash. Post had an interesting one Sunday about debates in the Pentagon over the continuing need for an independent Air Force when drones are taking over so many roles once done by manned fighter jets; but also the debate over, is someone remote controlling a combat drone from a remote, safe location a "hero"?

Which makes me think we're getting closer to Cameron's Terminator scenarios than anyone realizes.  paranoid icon_razz
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:33:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 02, 2010, 03:52:47 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 01, 2010, 11:32:09 PM

I had a great time, and as visual spectacle and reasonably satisfying story, I had no complaints. I may not see it as Best Picture, but it certainly deserves some sort of technology/effects special award. I'm just skeptical it will immediately generate a wave of clones because who has that sort of budget and carries that kind of weight with studios to even get a movie like that made? Though surely the tech will eventually get cheaper, and then it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I think we'll start seeing a lot of the  big summer blockbusters using the 3D and mocap effects pioneered in this film.
How much of the cost of Avatar was research and  development of the new 3D and effects technology?    If Cameron goes ahead and makes Avatar 2: Electric Blugaloo,  wouldn't it be a lot cheaper than the original because Weta Digital has the hardware and programming in place and ready to go?     I'd imagine (hope) that Producers seeing the big piles of money Avatar and Iron Man have made are looking at sci fi  properties like Mechwarrior and hoping they'll be the next cash cow.    They'll sell it to the studios by saying it'll be the next Avatar, only with more merchandising.     

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 18, 2010, 01:13:03 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2010, 08:08:00 AM

At first I was  saywhat, but then I  icon_lol

Two things.  One, I don't remember seeing bras in the movie (and they call themselves LARPers smile).  Two, it must have been cold out there.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »

Looks like Bluray and DVD are coming out on April 22, Earth Day.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/03/avatar-.html

Sounds like a bare-bones approach though:
"Avatar" will hit stores on April 22, and instead of a disc loaded with extras, it will be just the opposite --  a lean-and-mean approach with only the movie and a relatively simple menu function, a move made to exploit every bit of disc space for the top-of-the-line audio and video presentation of the film, according to the movie's producer, Jon Landau.

EDIT:  Of course the multi-disc ULTIMATE edition (read: double dip) comes in Nov.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:25:23 PM by leo8877 » Logged
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2010, 06:27:30 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 16, 2010, 05:23:49 PM

Looks like Bluray and DVD are coming out on April 22, Earth Day.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/03/avatar-.html

Sounds like a bare-bones approach though:
"Avatar" will hit stores on April 22, and instead of a disc loaded with extras, it will be just the opposite --  a lean-and-mean approach with only the movie and a relatively simple menu function, a move made to exploit every bit of disc space for the top-of-the-line audio and video presentation of the film, according to the movie's producer, Jon Landau.

EDIT:  Of course the multi-disc ULTIMATE edition (read: double dip) comes in Nov.

In! for the Blu-ray. We never watch the extra stuff anyway.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »

no double dip here!  Im gonna netflix the April version and then buy the super boffo mega 3D version next christmas when I hope to upgrade to a 3D capable tv. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on March 16, 2010, 10:25:59 PM

no double dip here!  Im gonna netflix the April version and then buy the super boffo mega 3D version next christmas

same here if I end up liking it enough to buy.  of course since the Ultimate edition comes out in November I may hold off to see if it goes on sale for the holidays.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 26, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »

Avatar 2 trailer, with a totally original screenplay.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: March 26, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »

OK, now that's seriously funny.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 26, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »

LOL that was good.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: March 26, 2010, 06:57:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 26, 2010, 04:21:46 PM

Avatar 2 trailer, with a totally original screenplay.

"Avatar II: My Big Fat Pandora Verses the Deathly Hallows Striking Back at Muriel's Lethal Weapon: Reloaded."

ROFL

So totally wrong. But so funny as hell. Nice find!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2010, 07:34:37 AM »

That looks even better than the first one! I'd totally see it!

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:32 AM »

This movie BAH-LOWS.

Every trite action movie convention and cliche there is is present.  Cameron should know better given his pedigree.

Just off the wall bad.

thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2010, 03:27:41 AM »

I enjoyed it. Going back next week with the GF.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 30, 2010, 04:13:01 AM »

well that pretty much seals the fact that I'll like it.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 30, 2010, 04:21:16 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 30, 2010, 03:01:32 AM

This movie BAH-LOWS.

Every trite action movie convention and cliche there is is present.  Cameron should know better given his pedigree.

Just off the wall bad.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 30, 2010, 06:17:20 AM »

I dont think its that bad, but...the story isnt very good, but the effects are quite good, and its a beautifull movie. Its just not a movie with any kind of depth.

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 30, 2010, 06:36:34 AM »

For what it's worth, SL, I completely agree with you.  Awful, awful film.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: April 30, 2010, 09:44:12 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 30, 2010, 06:17:20 AM

I dont think its that bad, but...the story isnt very good, but the effects are quite good, and its a beautifull movie. Its just not a movie with any kind of depth.

Says the guy who saw less than a third of it.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 30, 2010, 09:44:12 AM

You don't need to see the whole thing to know that it is poorly written and hackneyed.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 30, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 30, 2010, 04:21:16 AM

This movie BAH-LOWS.

Every trite action movie convention and cliche there is is present.  Cameron should know better given his pedigree.

Just off the wall bad.

Real bear.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 30, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »

I just saw it with the wife last night.  We both loved it.  Visually stunning with good action, looked fantastic on blueray.  They did a great job of brigning Pandora to life. I'm pissed I never saw it in 3D though. 

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 30, 2010, 12:58:14 PM

This movie BAH-LOWS.

Every trite action movie convention and cliche there is is present.  Cameron should know better given his pedigree.

Just off the wall bad.

Real bear.

needs a guy karate kicking it.

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 30, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »

This movie BAH-LOWS.

Just off the wall bad.

Real bear.

Awesome!  thumbsup icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 01, 2010, 04:43:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2010, 02:34:15 PM

This movie BAH-LOWS.

Just off the wall bad.

Real bear.

needs a guy karate kicking it.

there.  better.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 01, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 30, 2010, 09:44:12 AM

It must be nice to be omnipotent, Tilt...you actually know everything that has happened since I posted in the thread a month ago? Impressive...

please leave the inunedo crap at the door, thanks

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: