http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 03:59:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movies] I (Heart) Huckabee's impressions  (Read 1009 times)
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 11:50:39 PM »

It's my first Console Gold thread!

I went and saw I Huckabee's the other night and I'm gonna go ahead and recommend it but not without some hesitations and caveats and reservations. It's an absolute trainwreck of a movie, but it's a funny, bold, and compelling trainwreck. As you can sort of tell from the preview, the movie never really gels but that's almost beside the point.

The "plot" in a nutshell:

Jason Schwartzman is the founder and president of Open Spaces, an environmental group whose mission is to stop suburban sprawl and save the forests and marshland. He writes a poem about a rock he saved which begins, "You rock, Rock." biggrin There's a troubling series of coincidences involving an African doorman that's been nagging at Schwartzman so he hires a pair of existential detectives played by Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman who sports a ridiculous dutchboy coif.

Their goal is to solve the meaning of these coincidences and dismantle Schwartzman's psyche thereby allowing him to perceive reality in a whole new way. Just don't call it therapy. The two of them can usually be found sneaking around the hedges, planting bugs, rooting through trash, etc.

Soon they introduce Schwartzman to Mark Wahlberg, another mental case they're investigating. He plays a firefighter violently obsessed with the evils of oil and SUVs. He's so troubled in fact that he won't set foot on the firetruck, opting instead to ride his bicycle to the fire. Of course, with L.A. traffic, he gets there first. Wahlberg might be my favorite character because he's so sincerely, endearingly daft and Wahlberg plays him totally straight.

Schwartzman and Wahlberg eventually cross paths with a French author and nihilist played by Isabelle Huppert. Her theories are diametrically opposed to the work of Tomlin and Hoffman and they warn them not to listen to her dangerous theories but she's too alluring to resist.

Schwartzman's arch-nemesis is Jude Law who works for a Walmart-esque megastore called Huckabee's as a sort of corporate liaison between the evil store and Open Spaces. He's a greedy pretty-boy bastard who loves to tell his favorite story about Shania Twain and mayonnaise.

Law lives with his girlfriend Naomi Watts who is the tits-n-ass model for Huckabee's print and TV ad campaign. Both of them are exceedingly shallow until they encounter the Tomlin/Hoffman existential investigators and start to question their identity and self-worth. Naomi Watts's breakdown is a comedic highlight; she shows up to film a new commercial with her face filthy, fully covered in denim overalls and an Amish bonnet. biggrin

The movie is a crazy barrage of highbrow and lowbrow, philosophy and slapstick, subtlety and farce. There are animated montages of sensory deprivation visions and scenes where square bits and pieces of the characters' faces go drifting off into the ether.

As for the soundtrack, it's great. Triggercut-and P.T. Anderson fave Jon Brion wrote the music and it's exceedingly good.

The surest sign that a movie got to you is when it lingers in your mind and you can't help thinking about it days or weeks after you've seen it. I wasn't sure I would even give Huckabee's a thumbs up when the credits started rolling, but I keep remembering funny lines, ridiculous scenes, and the sheer audacity of the whole damn movie. I think I liked it.

The high-concept, philosophical framework of the movie is deeply problematic but at the same time, there are some flatout brilliant laughs. There's an amazing Christian suburban dinner scene featuring Flirting With Disaster/Six Feet Under star Richard Jenkins which I thought was the funniest part of the movie.

"What happens in a meadow at dusk?"
"Nothing."
"EVERYTHING!"

I'll have to see it again to firm up my feelings on the movie. This quote from the New Yorker review nailed it:

“Huckabees” is the real thing—an authentic disaster—but the picture is so odd that it should inspire, in at least a part of the audience, feelings of fervent loyalty.

I'd agree that it's a disaster, but it's an endearingly gutsy and funny disaster. Huckabee's might end up sneaking an 8 or 9 or 10 spot on my year-end list. You should see it if you wanna see it.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 12:13:46 AM »

Sweet.  This place just became a lot more like GG.  smile
Zagreus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 12:21:56 AM »

excellent! when I first saw the trailer it looked like a must-own, now even more so smile

Zagreus sits inside your head
Zagreus lives among the dead
Zagreus sees you in your bed
And eats you when you're sleeping!
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 12:29:25 AM »

Sounds good.  I might go for a matinee.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 12:34:01 AM »

Its going to take me some time to get used to this forum's layout.. But it does seem far superior..

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 01:48:30 AM »

Hmm, not the overwhelming endorsement I was hoping for, but then again, I'm a fan of bizarre and quirky films, even when they don't completely work. I might wait for to rent it on DVD, however...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: