http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 10:17:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Captain America: The Winter Soldier confirmed  (Read 9510 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 26, 2014, 03:21:28 AM

from the web page linked in that image

For mightier chats: just add heroes
We're celebrating the world premiere of Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier with our first-ever Marvel emoticons! To add some action to your chats, try typing in (captain) (bucky) (nickfury) or (blackwidow) to reveal these limited edition characters. You'll need the very latest version of Skype, where they should be ready to deploy from 13 March*. But make the most of them - they won't be on duty for long.

Plus we're laying down the gauntlet for true Cap fans: take on our challenge to unlock one final, hidden emoticon...
I don't use Skype for chat so I guess no fun for me.  tear

The early Winter Soldier reviews continue to trend tremendously positive. I might try to catch an IMAX show on the main opening day (April 4) if I can snag a ticket. I have plans that Saturday though so perhaps I can't continue the "see a movie 3 times opening weekend" tradition. Well, there's always Sunday.  Bring your own!

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2014, 02:50:36 AM »

Do movies have review embargoes? Because early reviews can still just be flawed.

That said, all impressions seem to be positive overall, and I've been astonished at how Marvel has generally kept their movies at a certain level of quality. Well, perhaps the Iron Man sequels had issues, but Thor 2 was a very good fun movie.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2014, 04:16:57 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 27, 2014, 02:50:36 AM

Do movies have review embargoes? Because early reviews can still just be flawed.

That said, all impressions seem to be positive overall, and I've been astonished at how Marvel has generally kept their movies at a certain level of quality. Well, perhaps the Iron Man sequels had issues, but Thor 2 was a very good fun movie.
The studio put an embargo (except for Tweeted impressions below a certain character number limit) on reviews from the early screening events some weeks ago. That's long since lifted, though many major media outlets prefer to wait until the actual release date (April 4, the double feature screenings at 8 p.m. April 3 notwithstanding).

I already bought an IMAX ticket for Friday, 7 p.m. too. Ironically, paying for the Double Feature triggered my AMC Awards card bonus, so I put $10 towards the IMAX ticket to make it more reasonable ($8.50).  Bring your own! With the first film in 2011, the audience only truly seemed into it (applauding, cheering, etc.) at the Friday opening night screening. I like to be a part of that.

I totally understand that many of my online pals prefer to wait for VOD, BluRay etc. and watch on their 100" mega plasma-LCD-LED-quasarphasar TVs in their mancaves. It's just, there is something really transcendent with a big audience that's really into a movie like this. Even if the guy behind you is kicking your seat, the guy next to you is farting, the gal next to you is chewing her gum loudly and babies are wailing throughout the theater, while everyone else busily texts on their smartphones that "Hey, I'm at the new Captain America movie!!!"  icon_razz

Cinemablend review out other day (5/5 stars):
http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Captain-America-The-Winter-Soldier-6771.html
One part tense 1970s-esque political thriller with very contemporary themes of government surveillance and pre-emptive strikes, and one part giant adventure with colorful heroes and spectacular action, the film is everything anyone could want from a comic book movie and will stand as one of the best of all time.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a spectacularly-made, tense, thrilling ride, and whether you go to the theater for the blockbuster action or the exciting story, you will leave more than satisfied.
Only consistent caveat I've read is some disappointment The Winter Soldier gets so little screen time or dialogue, given the movie's title.

They may well give Sebastian Stan a meatier story next movie but if his character's not going to get a lot of screen time/story in a movie subtitled, "The Winter Soldier," then when would he?  icon_neutral My observation is his messy eye black sometimes makes him look like Rocket Raccoon.  icon_razz

The movie's really important to Marvel/Disney in terms of proving they can release a comic book film outside the summer (May-August) and Thanksgiving-Xmas (Nov.-Dec.) time frames and still pull in massive box office numbers. Feige sounds in interviews like they're comfortable with two films a year and don't at the moment want to push their luck into three a year. If they can open up April as a release window annually, it gives them some breathing room from the cramped summer release date schedules.

fwiw, BoxOfficeMojo indicates it's already pulled in about $75 million or so in international release so far. Think it released in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, among other locations, last week.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:19:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »

I'm with you on the cinema experience Blackjack.  Some movies are just perfect for the big screen. 

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 01, 2014, 04:38:48 PM

I'm with you on the cinema experience Blackjack.  Some movies are just perfect for the big screen. 

I'm the opposite, I hate the group movie watching experience. The one exception has been the Hobbit movies in 48fps 3D. Man do those movies look amazing when watched on the proper screen. Even then it has nothing to do with the group experience, if I could I would watch it in the theater all by myself.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 02, 2014, 02:28:52 PM

Quote from: Caine on April 01, 2014, 04:38:48 PM

I'm with you on the cinema experience Blackjack.  Some movies are just perfect for the big screen.  

I'm the opposite, I hate the group movie watching experience. The one exception has been the Hobbit movies in 48fps 3D. Man do those movies look amazing when watched on the proper screen. Even then it has nothing to do with the group experience, if I could I would watch it in the theater all by myself.
OK, if you see The Winter Soldier, I'll be sure to sit next to you, burp and fart continuously throughout the movie while checking scores on my ESPN app on my iPhone at full brightness while having a speakerphone conversation about how awesome the movie is.  Bring your own! Cabbage Patch
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:35:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2014, 04:34:32 PM »

Here's a couple new action clips from the movie. I don't consider these plot-point spoilers per se (these are longer versions of sequences glimpsed in trailers) but if you feel like you want to see the big action set pieces "cold," then Don't Watch These Videos. I enjoyed them -- it's clear the writers and the Russo brothers have found fresh things for Cap to do with his shield.  icon_cool

Two Action-Packed Clips from CAPTAIN AMERICA 2
http://geektyrant.com/news/two-action-packed-clips-from-captain-america-2
*Although I was concerned about the Bourne Identity inspirations in terms of hand-held cameras for fighting scenes, it seems like they also like to pull back to normal, non hand-helds so that you don't lose track of where the characters are. Well, in that one scene anyway.  icon_smile

*The "kicker" guy is a real-life mixed martial arts dude in his acting debut, I believe, not familiar with his name.

*The second one I guess was posted by a Korean TV station thus the Korean letters. I don't think it's dubbed or anything; the one enemy character is French, maybe?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:41:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2014, 04:43:36 PM »

I think big action movies, comedies and visual masterpieces (Gravity, maybe?) are well suited as you get the big sound, screen or the first responses from a crowd.  I saw the Cornetto trilogy movies in theater and nothing beats the crowd laughing at the unexpected joke or bit.  

it's also something cool (even while it's odd) when a crowd applauds for the movie after it ends.  I had that happen once.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »

Collider's critic (he didn't attend the uber-early screenings) weighed in positively. Seems relatively spoiler-free. Goldberg hates many movies but did quite like the first Cap movie so it seems to bode well for me, in that respect, that he embraced the second film so much.  icon_smile Though I've disagreed so drastically with a lot of his past takes.

Collider's review:
http://collider.com/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-review/#more-323475
Directors Joe and Anthony Russo have never helmed an action movie before, but here they come off like old pros.  They’ve upped the game in clever ways like showing how Rogers’ super strength would work against regular people (e.g. he hits much harder), and they could probably write a book titled “101 Ways to Use a Shield”.  The action is wonderfully choreographed, the pace is terrific, and they’ve found a tremendous asset in Sam Wilson/The Falcon (Anthony Mackie), who’s not only a great character, but also provides some nice variety alongside Cap and Black Widow.
Marvel has not only proven yet again that there is no template for their movies, but also that there’s no template for good superhero movies.  Each character has to be taken on his or her merits rather than being forced to appeal to a vague notion of what a popular superhero should be.  Some audience members may think they want dark, brooding, and desperate, and that’s fine for some characters.

But it’s more important to recognize that audiences need and deserve a different kind of hero.  To recognize a hero who reminds us about the greatness of being honest in a world of dishonesty, of being compassionate in a world of selfishness, and of being brave in a world of fear.

These values combined with top-notch filmmaking make Captain America: The Winter Soldier not just my favorite Marvel movie; it’s one of my favorite movies of the year.
=============
Just a comic book compilations aside -- Comixology put several Captain America volumes on sale through April 7 for just $3.99 each. This includes Volume 1 of the two-volume Winter Soldier set; a couple other Cap volumes written by Ed Brubaker (including the one where Steve Rogers dies... yeah I know, the usual marketing schtick, right? Roll Eyes); and a volume of the pulpier "Marvel Comics NOW" iteration of Cap. Those are pretty steep discounts so I grabbed most of them last night.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:44:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:21 PM »

fwiw, EW's critic weighed in with a B+, mostly very enthusiastic, just finding it too long (2 hrs. 16 minutes). While it reads more like an "A-," I've given up trying to understand how reviewers of anything translate their verbiage into a school grade or number rating.  confused It gets tricky with EW (owned by Time Warner I think) because sometimes an entire movie review there (imho) seems to bash something left and right and then they give it, say, a "B-," as if they're afraid to rate something too low.
====

btw, you DON'T have to see the double feature tomorrow to see The Winter Soldier. Looks like it's debuting in most theaters tomorrow (April 3) at 8:30-8:45 p.m. in most places.

I'm actually a bit disappointed how few folks bought tickets for the double feature I'm attending. From the seating diagram it doesn't look like it'll be even half full. We're all kind of clumped, front to back. Probably the price ($27) and the hour (5:30 p.m. on a weekday), so I can understand it.

And of COURSE three people decided to get seats directly in front of me. I didn't think anyone would want to sit that close.  icon_smile  I guess the advantage with the theater not full is I'll have some room to reposition if necessary.  Bring your own! (AMC switched to all assigned seating at this particular location)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:36:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »

Blackjack I'm curious what rank you would give all the Marvel U films. Ironman 1-3, Cap, Thor 1-2, Avengers, Norton Hulk (I didn't miss any did I?). 1 being the best.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2014, 03:09:11 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 03, 2014, 02:16:27 PM

Blackjack I'm curious what rank you would give all the Marvel U films. Ironman 1-3, Cap, Thor 1-2, Avengers, Norton Hulk (I didn't miss any did I?). 1 being the best.
Hmmm, what's tricky about rankings is "what I think is best made" vs. "what I enjoyed the most," and sometimes that doesn't match up with me.  icon_smile

I actually didn't see the Norton Hulk film in theaters. Most would say Iron Man 1 was the Most Important Marvel film in terms of "establishing" the Marvel Universe on film successfully, and leaving bread crumbs (i.e., introducing Nick Fury and Coulson) for what would become The Avengers. If IM flopped and fans didn't give Downey Jr. his one last chance comeback, probably Marvel would've had to scratch the other movies or downsize them.

Anyway, I guess in terms of my enjoyment, I'd rank them something like:
-Marvel's The Avengers
-Iron Man
-Captain America: The First Avenger
-Iron Man 3
-Thor: The Dark World
-Thor
-Iron Man 2

Technically, the Avengers and Captain America are the films I saw the most times in theaters (four each).

I had mixed feelings on IM3 even if I saw it three times. I thought reducing Iron Man's armor to a bunch of remote control drones was a mistake even if it was an "evolution" -- i.e., if Tony Stark has no "skin in the game" (isn't really in the suit), then to me it loses the risk and excitement of the concept. But hey it's not the first "third movie" that maybe tried too hard instead of remembering its first iteration's charms.

I was surprised how much I liked Thor: The Dark World, but didn't really feel any itch to see it again.

Thor and Iron Man 2 have not aged well for me. If they come up on cable TV now, I barely pay attention. I can still dig seeing Iron Man and the first Cap film on TV. I realize many folks here and critics didn't really warm up to the first Cap film. Some found it boring, others only liked the "skinny Steve" portion of the movie, and perhaps that part was more to director Joe Johnston's strengths.

It sounds like those folks will enjoy the second film much more, and yet it sounds like I will too. It sounds like the Russos and the writers have made Cap more dangerous/interesting, while still letting him have his ideals, and without turning him into a brooding neck-breaker.  icon_wink I'll know in about 9 hours.  icon_smile

(Norton Hulk N/A for me as I didn't watch it in theaters; and really have not ever watched it all the way through)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:14:44 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2014, 03:14:53 PM »

Yours isn't that far off mine. Here's how I would rank them:

-Marvel's The Avengers
-Iron Man
-Iron Man 3
-Thor
-Thor: The Dark World
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Norton Hulk
-Iron Man 2

Although I've only seen Thor: The Dark World once so that one may move up or down depending on subsequent viewings. Too me the real stinker out of the bunch is Iron Man 2. Cap 1 was ok, but I felt like the first hour was slow and then the final showdown with Red Skull in the plane was a real letdown.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 03, 2014, 03:14:53 PM

Although I've only seen Thor: The Dark World once so that one may move up or down depending on subsequent viewings. Too me the real stinker out of the bunch is Iron Man 2. Cap 1 was ok, but I felt like the first hour was slow and then the final showdown with Red Skull in the plane was a real letdown.
It sounds like you'll be pleased with the Russo brothers' more visceral fights in The Winter Soldier, just from what I've read and the clips I've seen.  icon_smile They've said the idea is he hadn't really had any hand-to-hand fighting training to speak of in the 1940s so it'd make sense he fought in a basic brawling style just using the Super Solder serum strength. The idea in today's world is he's boned up on all matter of hand-to-hand and martial arts, and learned other ways to use the shield (both in hand-to-hand combat and as a boomerang-y projectile weapon).

While I loved the Cap film, I felt like Johnston/Marvel should've hired Dale Dye (consultant on Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers) for a day just to put some reality into the mass WWII battle stuff near the end. It looks like 200 extras running in random directions (think the "assume your crash positions" sequence in the comedy Airplane icon_razz) or storming a trench in World War I, against Hydra who use disintegrator ray guns for cripe's sake.

Yeah it's a comic book but I just think a little bit of realistic cover fire, flanking positions etc. and dialogue would've been good there. But non military history buffs I guess wouldn't care.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:36:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2014, 03:40:15 PM »

My ranking:

• Avengers
  • Cap 1
  • Iron Man 1
  • Thor 1
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor 2
  • Hulk
  • Iron Man 2

I liked Cap 1 more than Iron Man 1 due to the third act of Iron Man kind of sucking (for me). I thought Cap was a better movie as a whole, though the first two acts of Iron Man are better.

The only one I just can't bring myself to watch again is Iron Man 2. bleh. I actually dug Norton Hulk, it did a lot of things right in my opinion, but the third act just sucked.
Isn't it crazy that the 9th(!) Marvel movie is coming out now? It really feels like they are starting to hit their stride...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »

I think, as an over-analyzing, underqualified movie/box office pundit like myself, the key questions with the Winter Soldier:  smirk

-Can a Marvel Universe movie without Robert Downey Jr.'s star power and international box office appeal make mega bucks like the Iron Man films and Avengers did? Or just "good but not great" (Cap 1 and the Thor and Hulk films).

-Will it make mega bucks overseas? It has apparently made $75M plus so far in limited international release.

-Will it inspire more people to tune into Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. before its ratings slip further into a black hole?  icon_neutral

So naturally, my co-workers who NEVER want to do anything after work invited me to dinner tomorrow, but I already got my IMAX ticket for a 7:30 p.m. show tomorrow (Friday) too. Oh well, the things I do for Marvel!  Bring your own! Leading to my last question:

-Will I regret buying another ticket, for the IMAX show tomorrow night when I don't even know if I'll like it???  icon_razz Just about 7 hours to go.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »

And while we're playing, "I don't understand so-and-so," I don't "get" the Helicarrier concept.

So, why is it a good thing to have a massive flying aircraft carrier where everyone's gonna die on the helicarrier and/or on the ground whenever the engines conk out or are destroyed in battle?  saywhat I mean, when an aircraft carrier's engines die, the ship, you know, floats. If they built orbital stations (with thrusters so they could adjust the orbit as necssary) where air/spacecraft were based, I'd actually more buy that area. Heck, giant blimps would make more sense.

Helicarriers seem like an utter crock of an idea, although I have no doubt a savvy defense contractor - Tony Stark?  icon_cool - could convince government officials these flying death traps made sense for S.H.I.E.L.D.  icon_razz
--------------

I did finally found some less than positive reviews last day or two but the worst called it "very ordinary" or "yet another comic book movie," and in the end, seemed hardly "fanged" reviews.

Also, that EW critic's Winter Soldier review may have been his last. EW apparently laid off critic Owen Gleiberman (been there for decades) and a half dozen other staff writers yesterday.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:26:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2014, 03:36:42 AM »

Just got back. Fun seeing The First Avenger on a massive ETX screen again.

The new movie? Loved it.  icon_biggrin If you found the first film's fight scenes not visceral enough, BOY, you are in for a change on this one.  icon_smile

Not everyone loves handy cam stuff, and they do quite a bit of that in the fisticuffs, but I didn't have a problem following things, and it definitely puts a lot of oomph.

Awesome set pieces, that at the moment are all boggled throughout my brain.  icon_smile All sorts of interesting hooks from the first movie so it really was cool to have just seen that again first. I was truly surprised, more than once, in spite of everything I'd read online.

Applause at the end for quite a while, and a lot of enthusiastic chatter as we waited for the mid-credit and post-credits sequences. Those don't quite appear in the order I expected them to, fwiw.

Will post pix of the lanyard pass and poster in a bit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:39:46 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2014, 03:48:05 AM »

And here we go...  icon_smile Bring your own!

*All my photos of the pass make it look 1,000 times more awesome than the glossy little laminated cardboard that it is.  icon_razz If you love watching Cap use a shield in every way imaginable, you'll have so much fun with this movie. It saves his life in every way imaginable. It's practically another character in the movie.
I want one!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

The Stuff. God, they made us sit through 25 minutes (!) of summer movie trailers before the Winter Soldier really started, at close to 8:30 p.m.

The poster, while not unique, is a full-size one and massive. I need to get around to getting some simple poster frames for it and my two from 2012 (Dark Knight Trilogy, and Indiana Jones marathon posters).

They held a brief trivia contest with more unique posters and Captain America-themed 3-D glasses between the movies. I knew a couple of the answers but ultimately just held my tongue.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:56:09 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2014, 05:17:32 AM »

I literally fell asleep during the first movie, I'm hoping I stay conscious for this one.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 04, 2014, 05:17:32 AM

I literally fell asleep during the first movie, I'm hoping I stay conscious for this one.
Who’s strong and brave, here to save the American Way?
Who vows to fight like a man for what’s right night and day?
Who will campaign door-to-door for America,
Carry the flag shore to shore for America,
From Hoboken to Spokane,

The Star Spangled Man with a Plan!
================
zzzzzzzzzzz....  We put the fun in funeral  icon_smile

Ahem. I don't guarantee anything -- esp. for folks just jaded about comic book movies in general or who just don't find a guy using his shield 101 ways compelling.

However, if you were impatient with Joe Johnston's initial take getting through the "skinny Steve's a great guy!" portion to reach the action/combat stuff, you may dig the Russo brothers' take that doesn't waste much time on "Steve's a great guy."

If you thought Johnston's film didn't make Cap enough of a "bad ass," then as a couple guys leaving the theater ahead of me said, "They did a much better job in this film of making Cap a BAD ASS!"  icon_cool and perhaps you'll enjoy that.

If you dig the hand-to-hand combat of The Bourne Identity and The Raid (cited as inspirations for this), then you'll likely get kicks out of it here with a comic book layer over it. And some amazing vehicular stunt work the Russos said was inspired by stuff like The French Connection and the John Frankenheimer-directed Ronin (look it up on YouTube; I never saw it in theaters but has some amazing car case stuff).

While the movie has a looooooooooud finale, I'm happy to report it doesn't involve:
-A megalomaniac in a giant robot suit (Iron Man, The Wolverine)
-Armies of robots or bad guys in robot suits (Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3)
-Hordes of aliens or alien monster robots (Avengers, Man of Steel)

So there's that too.  icon_smile The finale aside, I think many folks will find the focus more on stunt work (close-in, almost all done by the actors themselves afik) and amazing vehicular stunt work vs. CGI and green screen everywhere, refreshing. And it's not just punch-punch-punch because Cap's shield, the Winter Soldier's mechanical arm and Black Widow's gizmos all add in that comic book Flair  icon_cool

With the Falcon, Mackie's wonderful and fun, it's just, the jet pack stuff HAS to be CGI or him on wires in front of green screen with CGI added later. I can say they seem to have done a marvelous job of making that pretty seamless. I didn't constantly think "Oh I can see that's CGI Mackie!"  icon_smile
===========
As far as where this stands for ME, I'd put it right up there with Avengers and Iron Man. Ask me again after the IMAX show tonight with an opening night audience.  icon_smile

I don't even want to sniff around the "Marvel universe implications" of the movie even a little bit, not even in spoiler codes. I'm dying to discuss one particular aspect but let's wait at least a couple weeks.  paranoid icon_smile

As far as 3D goes, it was required for the double feature (Real 3D). Although I usually like Real 3D and ETX at AMC, I found the image more blurry than usual and was adjusting my 3D glasses frequently (I used a lense wipe on my regular eyeglasses, I don't think that was it). We'll see how the IMAX 3D is tonight. While I would probably recommend a 2D show, many theaters only play 2D on smaller screens and for sure I'd recommend seeing this on the biggest "bad ass" screen you can get to.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:01:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »

glad to hear you enjoyed it.  although I really doubted you would come back with cries of "omg, it sucked!" or "it was ok, I guess"

not able to get out to see it until Sunday, but I'm looking forward to it. 

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

For those that have watched it. Is it suitable for 9 years old?

I'm thinking of taking my niece to watch it. She loves Avengers but think that the first Captain America a bit boring.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »

:eek:Cap 1 was so good!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on April 04, 2014, 02:27:24 PM

For those that have watched it. Is it suitable for 9 years old?

I'm thinking of taking my niece to watch it. She loves Avengers but think that the first Captain America a bit boring.
Well, it's PG-13 still but, I would call it a "hard" PG-13 in terms of the violence (lots of shooting, lots of people getting shot, lots of people getting punched/kicked, fair amount of blood, explosions etc.), but not language (couple cuss words) or sexual content (none to speak of).

And yeah it's true, I'm maybe not the most objective customer.  icon_smile However, I did find Thor, Iron Man 3, others more in the "OK" department. Iron Man, Cap 1 (in the minority there I think), Avengers I had more enthusiasm for than most of Marvel Studios' other stuff. fwiw. I dug the Russos' more visceral style while still enjoying their appreciation for certain characters/situations from the first film.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:12:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »

Reivew by Emergency Awesome - a hard core geek but I like how happy he is.

http://youtu.be/BicG3dDbbDA

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2014, 04:03:55 AM »

Hand's down my favorite Marvel film so far. Really quite incredibly good. Plotting to go see it again soon...

Mike Dunn
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2014, 11:09:57 PM »

Went to see The Winter Soldier this afternoon on IMAX 3D...awesome movie that is easily one of the top Marvel films so far, right up there with Ironman and The Avengers. I think the coolest thing is that it really raises a lot of questions about what will happen in future Marvel films, and might even have a major impact on the Agents of SHIELD tv show. I love the way that Marvel is tying all their stories together...great stuff!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2014, 12:16:24 AM »

I ended up really liking the movie, everything about it was better than the first one in my opinion. I didn't like Falcon though, I thought he was pretty lame except for some of the aerial gunplay. And then the leap into the helicopter? Ugh.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2014, 12:54:45 AM »

Quote from: disarm on April 05, 2014, 11:09:57 PM

Went to see The Winter Soldier this afternoon on IMAX 3D...awesome movie that is easily one of the top Marvel films so far, right up there with Ironman and The Avengers. I think the coolest thing is that it really raises a lot of questions about what will happen in future Marvel films, and might even have a major impact on the Agents of SHIELD tv show. I love the way that Marvel is tying all their stories together...great stuff!
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think next weeks episode takes place during the end of the movie. This past weeks takes place before the movie, right to the end of the episode which sounded like it takes place at the start of the end of the movie.show spoiler maybe..
Spoiler for Hiden:
I would guess that the clairivoient is the AI from the movie
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2014, 01:56:29 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on April 06, 2014, 12:54:45 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think next weeks episode takes place during the end of the movie. This past weeks takes place before the movie, right to the end of the episode which sounded like it takes place at the start of the end of the movie.show spoiler maybe..
Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Really? I was thinking Sitwell or Hand, though Sitwell's death in the film seems to take the oomf out of that particular reveal. I think we're definitely going to see that a previously established character in the show will end up being Hydra, though

Mike Dunn
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2014, 02:14:10 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 04, 2014, 02:43:48 PM

:eek:Cap 1 was so good!

ya i loved it, thought it was probably the only Marvel Movie I really liked.  I only liked Iron man because of his sarcasm.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on April 06, 2014, 01:56:29 AM

Quote from: Punisher on April 06, 2014, 12:54:45 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Really? I was thinking Sitwell or Hand, though Sitwell's death in the film seems to take the oomf out of that particular reveal. I think we're definitely going to see that a previously established character in the show will end up being Hydra, though
Spoiler for Hiden:
The reason I am saying the AI is that it was a big part of project insight which was basically depicting the future of someone through the data of their lives. That's how they decided who to kill in the movie and in the show Skye seems to uncover that the clairvoyant is using SHIELD data to predict their movements..
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »

Didn't want to disappoint you guys -- I saw it a fourth time today  retard at a Regal Cinemas RPX. The double header was at AMC ETX, and the Friday evening and Saturday afternoon shows were at AMC IMAX. All 3D.

My take is:
-Regal RPX is hands-down the crispest, brightest of the 3D showings; however (I maybe mentioned before), their leather seats squeak like David Lee Roth's leather pants. It's awful. You literally cannot MOVE one centimeter without this horrible leather squeak. The Dolby Atmos sound is excellent. People just don't seem sold on RPX's higher price as with IMAX though so most of the time the RPX showings aren't very crowded, even opening weekend.
-IMAX was awesome in sound and just sheer massive scale. But it seemed slightly dim and blurry during some scenes.
-ETX, which I usually love, also seemed somewhat dim and blurry. The Dolby Atmos sound was great.
Guess what I want is an RPX screen/projector quality with IMAX scale and sound.  Bring your own!

My older brother caught it, said it was a "good movie," but he'd rather see Wes Anderson's "The Budapest Hotel" multiple times instead. He also thinks Prometheus is an "awesome movie." So... Roll Eyes icon_razz

I'll take my mom to see it on Saturday, probably back at AMC IMAX.

I don't think the 3-D is necessary. It pops a bit when The Falcoln is in flight and in a couple cases where Cap tosses the shield, but hardly worth the extra cost. I just really wanted to see it on the biggest screens and in my area they just don't show it in 2-D on large screens.

For me Cap 2 is like Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back or Raiders of the Lost Ark in terms of that I just enjoyed everything (characters, set pieces, stunts, fx, humorous bits) on multiple viewings even if some of the suspense and surprise was of course gone. It's like, I feel better after watching this movie (and those movies). Which is pathetic I guess and maybe bizarre given the more ramped up violence in this. I spent a lot of time in Army Base theaters in South Korea in the early 1980s watching those aforementioned movies, trying to ward off being homesick for Virginia, and I'd just feel both drained and happy at the end of the movie. It was like hanging out with old friends. Similar with The Winter Soldier. icon_smile

fwiw, it's estimated to top the $96 million mark this weekend (record for April and almost 50% better than Cap 1 in 2011). Will be interesting to see how steep the 2nd weekend drop is. Not much in the way of other big releases until The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in early May.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:20:47 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2014, 03:26:12 AM »

well, while I would like to come in here and give an excited 6 year-old's review, I think I'm more excited than he is.  I think this is a great film, and one of my favorites in the MU.  it throws a lot of the world as we see it into chaos and will surely affect Avengers 2.  I  liked the call-outs to other characters and how they brought them into the movie without even needing to show them on screen.  Loved the fight scenes, especially at the end between Cap and WS. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm glad they didn't kill off Bucky, and can't wait to see him in the next CA or Avengers movie in some form.  I'm guessing it will be during Cap 3 when Cap is fighting some new baddie and WS shows up to help or sacrifice himself to save Steve. 

The big bad buy reveal was pretty clearly telegraphed and if anything, perhaps too easy to spot.  it seems out of place until the sequence with the AI, which I didn't quite expect

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »

Saw it finally.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shield will be back, I'm sure of it. They'll go underground, clean house, and maintain a much lower profile, but shield will be around. I think that process will take place a lot during the TV show, and across multiple movies.

I'm really going to miss agent Sitwell. So weird that he was part of Hydra. I was hoping that he was playing a double agent and was the one who first leaked the info to Fury, sadly no. It's almost like losing Coulson.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2014, 05:35:28 PM »

fwiw, Marvel confirmed the earlier rumor it scheduled Captain America 3 (currently untitled) for a May 6, 2016 release directly opposite DC/Warner Bros.' "Superman vs. Batman."
http://marvel.com/news/movies/2014/4/7/22279/captain_america_to_return_to_theaters_may_6_2016

It still seems unlikely both would keep that date. The U.S. has only so many theaters and it seems unlikely both would want to battle it out for their 3,900+ theater screen share or risk a competing mega summer release cutting into its box office numbers.

imho, too many entertainment blogs are overreacting to a Chris Evans comment a while back. Which seemed more that he loves working with Marvel and might consider in the future limiting his acting jobs to his Marvel Universe work and not actively pursuing other acting work so much, and then trying outside of that to focus more on directing. Which everyone headlined as, "Chris Evans wants to quit acting!"  icon_razz

He did a lot of backtracking on that in interviews last week. Clearly it's not how he meant it be construed. icon_smile Though I wouldn't blame Evans after finishing Avengers 2 and then a short turnaround for Cap 3 (rather 2 years later than Cap 2, rather than 3) for simply wanting a break. He's still only about 32.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »

I really enjoyed the movie, not quite BJ level lol but definitely a lot more than the first one, much more in line with Iron Man 3 I'd say.  Agree visually that 3D is probably unnecessary.

I love the Cap/Bucky dynamic (talk about a bromance that survives the test of time!), was hoping for more but it looks like that will be addressed in the sequel. 

As for Chris Evans, one of the rumors I read was that in the comic Bucky takes over as Captain America after Steve Rogers dies, so they could play on that in the 3rd film, i.e. kill off Chris and have Sebastian Stan take over for future sequels. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also loved the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver teaser.  So I see that's how they are getting around the "mutant" issue, they are totally going a different angle.  Kind of sucks for hardcore Marvel fans, but it seems like we'll never get to see the X-Universe mix with this one.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 07, 2014, 06:13:49 PM

I love the Cap/Bucky dynamic (talk about a bromance that survives the test of time!), was hoping for more but it looks like that will be addressed in the sequel.  

As for Chris Evans, one of the rumors I read was that in the comic Bucky takes over as Captain America after Steve Rogers dies, so they could play on that in the 3rd film, i.e. kill off Chris and have Sebastian Stan take over for future sequels.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also loved the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver teaser.  So I see that's how they are getting around the "mutant" issue, they are totally going a different angle.  Kind of sucks for hardcore Marvel fans, but it seems like we'll never get to see the X-Universe mix with this one.
Yeah I liked the Cap/Bucky stuff.  Bring your own! I was going to gab about it but I guess I shouldn't assume everyone here knows their story.  paranoid icon_smile

Stan taking over would for sure make sense IF Marvel wants a different take (Brubaker did a whole bunch of Cap comics with Cap thought to be dead and Bucky as a darker, edgier Cap. Cap eventually got revived, and Bucky returned to his Winter Soldier persona, ostensibly as a good guy. Though I think I read Marvel recently cancelled the Winter Soldier comic.

Who knows what things will be like by 2017 or 2018 when Evans is presumably in Avengers 3 and finishes his contract? Downey Jr. finished his contract with IM3 but afik did signed up for Avengers 2.

Hugo Weaving in interviews back in 2012 (http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/15/captain-americas-hugo-weaving-doesnt-want-to-return-as-red-skull/) sounded sour about his Red Skull experience in the first movie; despite signing a Marvel contract for multiple films, he said he's not interested in reprising the role and doesn't expect Marvel would try to force him to do something.

Director Joe Johnston apparently signed a two-picture deal with Marvel. Clearly he's not returning for Cap. In interviews in 2011 he sounded very excited about The Winter Soldier but that's not happening. So perhaps they're not really going to use JJ again unless they found a comics property that's more in his wheelhouse.

The point being contracts aren't sort of stone tablets.  icon_smile It's possible for an actor to re-up once the initial one's over (Downey Jr.), for an actor to just decide one's enough in spite of the number of movies the contract was for (Weaving), or it's possible to sign a contract for multiple and the studio decide that one time was enough (director Johnston).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:52:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:07 PM »

Well shucks. Wish they'd given these pins out at last Thursday's double feature event.  icon_frown icon_razz

Captain America: The Winter Soldier pins
http://instagram.com/p/miamCNnrmF/

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: