http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:27:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Captain America: The Winter Soldier confirmed  (Read 8512 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 30, 2013, 08:21:07 PM

yeah, that's what I was referring to Raz.  it seems they only let her pose that way in the promotional material. 

I figured as much :-) Its amazing yes, and rather sad.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »

I think I found a new sidekick for Cap in the third film:

Miss America? American Woman? Boobsy Ross?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »

American Maid
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »

This is one of many movies debuting a new trailer during the Sooper Bowel.

I do agree that teasers for upcoming trailers? Just getting a bit ridiculous... soon to be followed by "teasers for the teaser"...  Roll Eyes

Teaser for the Captain America: The Winter Soldier Super Bowl Spot Debuts
http://www.superherohype.com/news/289613-teaser-for-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-super-bowl-spot-debuts#/slide/1
*During the showdown they're saying:
"What did you DO with Joe Johnston???"
"He wasn't cutting edge enough, dude!"
"Who the HELL are the Russo Brothers anyway?"

-They did some location filming in DC as I recall, so it is fun to see the Winter Soldier walking by one of our Metro subway stations here.  icon_smile
-Interesting to see the Winter Soldier using an M4 while his presumed partners use bullpup rifles. I recognize that strange looking assault rifle from the Door Kickers early access game on Steam, but the name escapes me?

Saw some new posters/photos too. This one focuses on Cap (another one highlights Black Widow):
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:58:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »

Collider posted excerpts from group interviews with Chris Evans on the set (it's from last year probably, and presumably the embargo gets lifted as they move closer to the release date):

Chris Evans Talks CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, Wearing the New Suit, Relationships with Other Characters, and Working with Robert Redford
http://collider.com/chris-evans-captain-america-winter-soldier-interview/#piPJPozKSJcXcZu4.99
*I saw nothing spoiler-y, fwiw, Kevin Feige wasn't present so Chris probably need to self-monitor his answers to questions.  icon_smile
Can you talk a bit about the new fighting style?
Evans: That’s what we were all saying. I remember when we were first talking with the Russos … Has anyone here played the Captain America video game?
Yeah.
Evans: I love it. [laughs] And I don’t like video games. And I love it because I love the way Cap moves, he moves so well and he just beats ass. [laughs] It’s like, that’s how this guy needs to be moving. This isn’t just the guy who’s been given the ability of speed and power, he’s been training. He’s been put through… he’s got the frame of mind to absorb this information, so you can only assume with training and his ability, the guy should really be dangerous. And we should show that. It’s not just, “Take Jason Bourne and make him” you know. If Jason Bourne can do it, Cap should be flying through these things. So we had a bit of fun turning up his power, turning up his speed. So the fights are a lot more grisly and impactful, and in my opinion, cooler.
What I liked about the video game is the shield use. In the hand-to-hand combat, you got to use your shield.
Evans: Yeah! Absolutely! Shield use and acrobatics, too. I mean, he was flipping off things and spinning and jumping and using his environment, it wasn’t just punch, punch, kick, kick. That’s fine but this has to be more than The Bourne Supremacy.
I'm not sure which game he means (probably doesn't mean Marvel Heroes  icon_smile).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:10:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2014, 07:23:55 AM »

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Captain America: Super Soldier.  It was a pretty fun game.   Cap did feel pretty powerful compared to the movie.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2014, 03:23:35 AM »

Except for Seahawks fans, what a terrible Super Bowl and such blah ads. The Cap 2 trailer aired but I sure didn't see it.... So here's a link! icon_cool

‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ Super Bowl Trailer — Watch
http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/02/02/captain-america-2-trailer-super-bowl-commercial-2014-the-winter-soldier/
While I enjoyed it, I do think the full Comic Con cut of the elevator fight is far cooler than these trailer snippets of it. And for some reason I preferred the previous trailer's less orchestrated score.

I'm still worried the Winter Soldier's going to sound like Bane (cue mumbling jokes icon_razz), but he remains silent in the trailers. banned

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2014, 03:40:55 AM »

I didn't see the trailer during the game either. Any idea when it supposedly aired?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
leo8877

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2014, 03:44:37 AM »

Quote from: disarm on February 03, 2014, 03:40:55 AM

I didn't see the trailer during the game either. Any idea when it supposedly aired?

I didn't see it either
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2014, 04:35:52 AM »

I saw a commercial early in the game, could have been pregame. The commercial said to go online to see the full trailer as it wasn't the whole thing.

Kind of funny given the earlier conversation that you don't see BW's butt in the poster but you do see the bad guy's backside.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2014, 05:54:40 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 03, 2014, 03:44:37 AM

I didn't see it either

Yeah it was right between the end of the pre-game show and beginning of the actual game.  You can see it here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI

I was already pretty amped about this movie and this trailer pushed it over the edge (except the line about how to tell who's a bad guy... that even caused my daughter to roll her eyes).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on February 03, 2014, 05:54:40 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on February 03, 2014, 03:44:37 AM

I didn't see it either

Yeah it was right between the end of the pre-game show and beginning of the actual game.  You can see it here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI

I was already pretty amped about this movie and this trailer pushed it over the edge (except the line about how to tell who's a bad guy... that even caused my daughter to roll her eyes).
Thanks -- that explains it. I zoned out and started channel surfing when the pregame show started making me glaze over.  icon_razz

Cap will never be [at least until some idiot reboots the character as such  Roll Eyes] a Spidey|Iron Man/Tony Stark-style wisecracking machine so I suspect the script doesn't give him too many trailer-friendly laugh lines. icon_smile

I'm hoping AMC and/or Regal does a bit of a movie marathon -- perhaps Captain America, Marvel's The Avengers and a midnight show of the Captain America: The Winter Soldier -- on opening week. After AMC's Dark Knight and Indiana Jones marathons in 2012, I haven't gone to any since. It would give me a good reason to take a day or two off, depending on the showtimes. Bring your own!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:36:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »

An international trailer also released (this retains the previous North American trailer's early Cap-Black Widow chit chat, and adds a couple glimpses of other female characters such as Emily VanCamp as agent Sharon Carter, and a bit more flight action with The Falcon - is at least what I've noticed when viewing it):

International trailer
http://www.superherohype.com/news/289925-international-version-of-the-new-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-trailer#/slide/1

Hayley Atwell  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. is credited in this (the movie, not the trailers), and I'm not entirely clear if she wears aging makeup (her character would probably be in her 90s now) or if she's seen in flashbacks.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:24:38 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »

In case you prefer animated GIF snippets of the Super Bowl trailer...

Captain America, Transformers And More: Your GIF Guide To The Best Super Bowl Trailer Moments
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Captain-America-Transformers-More-Your-GIF-Guide-Best-Super-Bowl-Trailer-Moments-41453-p3.html

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2014, 02:35:53 AM »

While I was hoping for a mega-Marvel marathon on April 3 (Cap 1, the Agent Carter One-Shot off the IM3 Blu-Ray, The Avengers and then the Winter Soldier), AMC is just going to show Captain America: The First Avenger at 5:30 p.m. and then the new Winter Soldier film at 8 p.m.

Good enough for me! Bring your own! Maybe an excuse to take a couple days off though at least I don't have to stay up for a midnight debut.   icon_smile

Enlistment details:

One day. Twice the patriotic duty in RealD® 3D. [NOTE: In AMC's non-infinite wisdom, they seem to have made their web site Firefox-unfriendly, I could only reach the ticket purchase screen using IE]
https://www.amctheatres.com/events/captain-america-double-feature
Thursday, April 3 at 5:30pm

Relive the story of Steve Rogers’ transformation to super soldier and super hero in Marvel’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER. Then, enemy lines are blurred when Captain America faces off against a rival agent at the 8pm premiere of Marvel’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER.

Freedom isn’t free, but these giveaways are (with ticket purchase):

Your very own official CAPTAIN AMERICA:
    THE WINTER SOLDIER full-sized poster
    Limited edition super hero lanyard [a beaten up version of Cap's shield... not to scale  tear]
My local AMC has switched to all reserved seating (not just for IMAX screen), so I guess I should sign up early.

Tickets are $27, which will probably make most people gag on their popcorn. Unless you're really dying for a poster and shield lanyard, you might want to wait.  icon_smile

While it's not in IMAX, it seems like they're at least showing it on their nice ETX screens where available (which tend to be massive, and sometimes I prefer it over IMAX at AMC).
=================

And, Fandango has a pretty cool, exclusive clip (it connects with some footage in the trailer on a ship) that gives an idea of the more brutal, snappy Cap combat the Russo brothers are shooting for. However, if you don't dig handheld camera stuff, you may be dismayed. I think it works in limited doses. They say they're inspired by stuff like The Raid: Redemption and the Bourne films so that's fine but I hope the whole movie doesn't become Blair Witch project. biggrin

Exclusive: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Secure the Ship
http://www.fandango.com/movie-trailer/exclusive:captainamerica:thewintersoldiersecuretheship-trailer/155540/2440466900
*The clip seems to lead into a new-ish trailer, not familiar with some of the footage in it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:32:16 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2014, 03:48:12 AM »

[giving it a separate post]
And, Fandango has a pretty cool, exclusive clip (it connects with some footage in the trailer on a ship) that gives an idea of the more brutal, snappy Cap combat the Russo brothers are shooting for. However, if you don't dig handheld camera stuff, you may be dismayed. I think it works in limited doses. They say they're inspired by stuff like The Raid: Redemption and the Bourne films so that's fine but I hope the whole movie doesn't become Blair Witch project. biggrin

Exclusive: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Secure the Ship
http://www.fandango.com/movie-trailer/exclusive:captainamerica:thewintersoldiersecuretheship-trailer/155540/2440466900
*The clip seems to lead into a new-ish trailer, not familiar with some of the footage in it.

I got some screen captures though the fight scenes are so fast, it's tough to get shots that aren't blurry. I think the new "shield punch" technique will go over well with fans.  icon_smile It's him grabbing the shield handle with one hand and punching with the shield itself.

While there was supposedly some fan outrage over the Russos revising the old helmet to show Evans' ears, it looks fine to me.  icon_smile Thought it makes you wonder why his enemies don't just yank his ears.  icon_razz My understanding is this is the uniform look early in Winter Soldier where he's gone to a more subtle color scheme in keeping with his stealth missions for S.H.I.E.L.D.

While I don't know if fuddy duddies like me will dig all the handi-cam and faster action, me thinks it'll go over better with younger audiences perhaps. I like what I've seen in this clip anyway.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:50:02 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »

I went ahead and got my AMC double feature ticket last night.  Bring your own! Tickets aren't exactly flying at this particular Va. screen, I think maybe I'm the 12th or so person to reserve a seat. It's early though.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing this.  not BJ level excited yet, but I like the previews.  the action filming doesn't seem to be overly frenetic in that clip.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2014, 01:05:35 AM »

Not sure any movie could get me BJ level of excitement, unless perhaps I was getting one during it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »

I'm impatiently waiting for the "Top 10 signs you're as excited about a movie as Blackjack is" list.  Bring your own!

They held an early screening for press the other day. Marvel apparently embargoed full reviews until Thursday, March 20, but encouraged attendees to share impressions on Twitter. Apparently quite rave, aside from some observations it was a bit long and "over plotted" (not exactly bad for a comic book movie right?).

Take with a grain of salt since Collider Guy Weintraub thinks everything kicks ass and is f**ing awesome and "blows him away"... And I dunno, lot of the folks quoted on Twitter do not really sound like press types to me, fwiw. Perhaps they're local film critics visiting in LA.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Receives Ecstatic Reactions on Twitter
http://collider.com/captain-america-winter-solder-reviews/
Last night, Captain America: The Winter Soldier played for press in Los Angeles, and while full reviews are embargoed until March 20th, reporters were free to tweet out their reactions.  We’ve collected some of those tweets, and the praise was effusive.  

Steve [Weintraub of Collider] was among those who saw the film, and tweeted afterwards, “The CAPTAIN AMERICA sequel blew me away. Movie has a fantastic script, amazing action, and great character moments. Just about perfect.”  

Earlier this morning, he added “if you missed tweets from last night: CAPTAIN AMERICA sequel is fantastic on every level. Fanboys and casual moviegoers are going to love it” and “until I see it again I won’t say exactly how it compares to other Marvel films, but it’s easily one of the best they’ve ever done.”  
Expect (for better or worse -- good reviews will likely overinflate expectations) reviews left and right starting next week.

I'm trying hard to keep my head in the sand about the post-credits sequences so I can at least enjoy a bit of surprise April 3.  icon_smile

This all sounds good to me because so often you can just tell a studio has zero confidence in a film when they choose not to pre-screen it at all or they don't screen it until the day before opening. Screening it 3 weeks in advance and allowing reviews 2 weeks before release seems to suggest confidence by Marvel/Disney, hopefully not the misplaced kind.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:54:46 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 12, 2014, 03:52:19 PM

I'm impatiently waiting for the "Top 10 signs you're as excited about a movie as Blackjack is" list.  Bring your own!

I'm not sure where these go on that list, but here's a starter:

Start thread about movie
Have triple posts uninterrupted without any delay longer than a few minutes
Have triple posts uninterrupted with large gaps in anyone posting in thread
Post repeatedly about going to see previous movies in series
pre-buy tickets to said screenings
Post 'impressions from mom'

It's all good though.  I like having someone here who gets hyped by movies.  It also helps me remember when to go see them. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2014, 05:00:56 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 11, 2014, 03:11:48 PM

BJ level excited

Just the phrase "BJ level excited" excites me.  Interpret this any way you want.  Fabulous Fabulous Fabulous
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 12, 2014, 05:00:56 PM

Quote from: Caine on March 11, 2014, 03:11:48 PM

BJ level excited

Just the phrase "BJ level excited" excites me.  Interpret this any way you want.  Fabulous Fabulous Fabulous
that's what I get for not wanting to type the name out while posting on a phone...

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 12, 2014, 04:39:59 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 12, 2014, 03:52:19 PM

I'm not sure where these go on that list, but here's a starter:

Start thread about movie
Have triple posts uninterrupted without any delay longer than a few minutes
Have triple posts uninterrupted with large gaps in anyone posting in thread
Post repeatedly about going to see previous movies in series
pre-buy tickets to said screenings
Post 'impressions from mom'

It's all good though.  I like having someone here who gets hyped by movies.  It also helps me remember when to go see them.  
Good start. Mom would be proud.  icon_smile I'm a momma's boy for sure. She's 78 now, and I really don't know how much longer I can tote her along to movies, so I am trying to enjoy the opportunity while I can. Not to get all mushy.  icon_smile

Perhaps I can expand it to my older brother's impressions. We don't always agree. We both liked Cap. I found Elysium and Prometheus very disappointing (Prometheus more so), and he loved both.

You forgot to mention something about:
-Go to see movie every day during opening weekend and then a fourth time a few days later.  icon_smile Though to be fair, I haven't done that since Star Trek into Darkness. I liked Thor: The Dark World but only saw it once. Gravity is the last movie I saw more than once in a theater, fwiw.

I haven't attended a movie marathon since AMC's Indiana Jones marathon and The Dark Knight Trilogy in 2012. I'm not sure this double feature counts. I'm still slightly chagrined they aren't showing the Avengers film or the Agent Carter one-shot (off the Iron Man 3 BluRay) between the two Cap films - would seem like a good opportunity.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:08:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »

I guess I should pre-buy an IMAX show ticket for April 4 evening too right?  Bring your own! The double feature showings April 3 are limited to AMC's ETX screens.

I'm not sure about April 5. I may be meeting some pals for lunch that day which could jeopardize the "see it once each day opening weekend" tradition.  paranoid  My brother would like to catch it with me at some point but probably we'll have to do that later in April.

Here's the poster and lanyard (battered Cap shield), can't so far find a larger image.

At some point I need to go by an arts and crafts store and get some simple wall frames so I can get posters like this up on my walls. Never did get the Dark Knight Rising and Raiders of the Lost Ark re-release posters from 2012 mounted/posted.

*As mentioned, the shield lanyard is not to scale, nor is it actually made of Vibranium.  icon_frown icon_razz

P.S. According to Collider's Weintraub, Winter Soldier reviews are embargoed until 1 p.m. Pacific [4 p.m. Eastern U.S.] on Thursday, March 20:
https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/443179823247003648
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:55:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2014, 01:19:40 AM »

Lots more Falcon footage in latest featurette:
http://geektyrant.com/news/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-falcon-featurette

Hero Complex (Marvel actually) is streaming the Red Carpet premiere live:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-premiere-watch-it-live-at-6/#/0

Peggy Atwell still looks and sounds dreamy  Fabulous

The Cap writers told Collider their Agent Carter TV pilot is in ABC's hands but not Greenlit yet. The writers favor a shorter 13 or less episode season if it does get ok'd
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:41:17 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »

Fwiw, Winter Soldier comic creator/scribe Ed Brubaker (already a fan of the new movie since viewing an early cut last year) Tweeted he was really pleased with the final version at the screening other day:
https://twitter.com/brubaker/status/444388473928036352
Quote from: ed brubaker
Cap: Winter Soldier is even better than the early cut I saw. I couldn't be happier, and we got to meet Hayley Atwell, who was awesome.
You can add that to that list: "So excited about a movie, BJ starts breathlessly posting Tweets."  icon_razz Well, I'm kinda stuck until the review embargo lifts March 20.  icon_smile

The Red Carpet (you may still be able to view a recording of last night's premiere via Hero Complex link above) was fun, and pretty much everyone in the cast and even people only in the first Cap movie (Neal McDonough attended) chatted with the interviewers. Hayley Atwell, Scarlett Johansson and Cobie Smulders were all very much va-va-voom.  Fabulous The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 05:10:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »

Marvel released 15 minutes of behind-the-scenes stuff. I'm not clear if the audio drop outs are on purpose (to prevent plot points from leaking), or if there's a synching issue with the sound:

http://collider.com/captain-america-2-behind-the-scenes-video/
*Note that many scenes minus sound effects and music either look silly or don't carry much weight.  icon_razz

This seems to be the "new thing," a similar lengthy clip released for the upcoming Arnold S. actioner Sabotage the same day.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »

Marvel released the first 10 minutes of the movie online the other day. I'd say maybe 7 of the minutes already were seen in earlier trailers, teasers and clips. I'm not inclined to link it (feel like even I've over glutted on footage at this point); if you really want to see it, just Google it.  icon_smile

Regal and Cinemark are also joining the Capital America 3-D double feature bandwagon on April 3, fwiw. Not clear if they're offering the poster and lanyard stuff like AMC, I'd assume so.

I checked on the AMC show I'm seeing, and still a lot of seats left. Someone I don't know picked a seat directly next to me. I feel a personal space violation coming on...   *Fist Shaking*  icon_razz Unless it's, say, a gorgeous, lonely librarian comic book fan lady.   Fabulous  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:43:46 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2014, 05:24:39 PM »

fwiw -- we all at some point dislike games and movies critically lauded, and vice-versa -- the review embargo lifts at 1 p.m. Pacific/4 p.m. Eastern time today.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2014, 06:24:28 PM »

I'm going to see this in theaters regardless of reviews. hell, I might not even read any until afterwards.  better that way imo as you can get the critical response and see how well the movie holds up in other people's eyes rather than going in with altered expectations. 

btw, you had a string of 7 posts back to back there. I think that must be a record for BJ-level hype.  biggrin 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »

Here be earliest reviews, fwiw. I won't put anything spoiler-y in pull quotes, promise.  icon_smile I like to make up my own mind too -- I do find if the general trend is positive, my experience tends to be too. But that's just generalizing for sure; sometimes I fall for films really lambasted critically.

NOTE: Hmmm, I find a couple things in the reviews a bit spoiler-y. I'm not upset about it, but I've put ALL the links in spoiler codes to emphasize others might be wary of it. icon_smile

Den of Geek
Link:
Let’s just cut to the chase: Captain America: The Winter Soldier is awesome.
==================
Super Hero Hype (8/10)
Link:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier" may not be the perfect representation of the comic books but that's actually a good thing. Instead, it gains huge points by working as a standalone movie set in the world of espionage and world politics that's different enough from previous Marvel movies to be more accessible for non-comic fans than anything Marvel's done thus far.
=============
Variety
Link:
The Rip Van Winkle of superheroes goes rogue in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” an impressively equal sequel to 2011’s superb origin story “Captain America: The First Avenger” that trades the earlier film’s apple-pie Americana for the uneasy mood of a 1970s paranoia thriller — a resonance underscored by the casting of “Three Days of the Condor” and “All the President’s Men” star Robert Redford in a prominent supporting role.

Chockfull of the breathless cliffhangers dictated by the genre, but equally rich in the quiet, tender character moments that made the first film unique among recent Marvel fare, “The Winter Soldier” marks a generally assured return to features for sibling helmers Anthony and Joe Russo (who’ve been in a moviemaking deep-freeze since 2002’s “Welcome to Collinwood”) and should easily keep the franchise gravy train powering through to “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” due next May.
=========

IndieWire was a bit less impressed (B-), though some of their concerns (too much action) don't necessarily sound bad, right?  icon_smile
Link:
But with "The Avengers" boosting the character's profile further, and Marvel increasingly bullish, they've gone all in for "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," a far bigger and more expensive adventure for our frozen-in-time hero, played for the third time by Chris Evans. Savvily, they've played down the more patriotic aspects of the character to chase an enemy within, in a film that directors Joe & Anthony Russo have compared to 70s paranoid thrillers like "The Parallax View" and "Three Days Of The Condor."

And it's sort of worked: "The Winter Soldier" is probably in the upper tier of Marvel pictures in terms of quality, but ultimately proves too muddled and frantic to match the heights of "The Avengers."

=========
IGN (9/10):
Link:
Perhaps more to the point, the film is one of, if not the strongest individual installment to date. One part spy thriller, one part character journey, one part visceral action movie, and one part straight-up superhero adventure film, The Winter Solider hits all of the right notes and serves as an example of the very best of what comic book movies have to offer.

The scale of the film alone is unprecedented for Marvel. If feels as though the studio has taken every lesson they’ve learned in terms of how to construct and effectively execute an action sequence and integrated it into one elaborate and gorgeous piece of spectacle. It’s all right there on the screen.

===========
Vanity Fair
Link:
The Russos have crafted good, eye-popping scenes of explosive flurry, but it would be more interesting if it had all been leading somewhere with the same intensity as the intriguing bits of exposition. I like The Winter Soldier, as I’ve liked all the Marvel movies. But I'm eager to get to the real main event, whatever that might be.

==========
The Hollywood Reporter
Link:
Captain America may not flex as much box-office muscle as his Marvel stablemates Iron Man and Thor, but there's a steadfast band of fans who pledge allegiance to Captain America: The First Avenger as possibly the best of all the Marvel superhero films — other than The Avengers.

These true-blue enthusiasts will not be disappointed in this second entry in the series, which takes the bold (for Marvel) step of reducing CGI spectacle to a relative minimum in favor of reviving the pleasures of hard-driving old-school action, surprising character development and intriguing suspense.
========
Screen Crush (8/10)
http://screencrush.com/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-review/
Despite all the explosions and ridiculous technology, you still care about Steve Rogers, whose anachronistic seriousness trying dutifully to fit in to our jaded times is as apt a metaphor for remix culture as anything else. This entry won’t win any new converts, but anyone already invested in this series is going to have a blast.
===========
The Wrap
Link:
The first “Captain America” had a lot of great ideas, but its vacillation in tone and occasional failures to deliver the emotions for which it was clearly aiming made it one of the lesser recent Marvel movies [WHO IS THIS GUY? GONNA KICK HIS ASS!-bj  mad icon_razz]. This time around, however, it's a movie that's raising the bar on what we can expect from the ongoing adventures of these men and women in tights.
==========
Digital Spy (UK) (4/5 stars)
Link:
... Captain America: The Winter Soldier feels tonally distinct from its Marvel forerunners, more spy thriller than superhero sequel. Trading in the lush period specificity of The First Avenger for a stripped-down, glossy aesthetic, it's a grounded and character-rich midpoint for Phase Two.
=========
The Upcoming (UK)
Link:
What could arguably be the best Marvel film to date, The Winter Soldier truly has it all: a juicy plot, healthy sprinkle of humour, delightful characterisation, and not to mention, the most stunning fight sequences to ever be performed on screen. Characters that have already been in cinemas before – [deleted for your protection-bj] – have, indeed, turned the dial up to 11.
============
Telegraph (UK) (3/5 stars)
Link:
...you can’t help but feel disappointed that a film with a relatively spicy premise becomes, in the end, so risk-averse. Is it possible for a franchise so swollen with its own success to still accommodate real creative bravery? Money, time and the four more Avengers films currently in production will tell.
============
Bleeding Cool
Link:
Review – Captain America: The Winter Soldier Is Ambitious, Surprising, Exciting And Hardly Ever Too Silly
============
MTV
Link:
Chris Evans' third full-time turn as the star-spangled man is Marvel's darkest, most complex movie to date and largely succeeds by fitting the superhero movie into the trappings of a political thriller.
=========
Slash Film
Link:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is an ideal middle chapter in a larger story. The performances are charismatic, the story is surprising, and the action exciting. Plot wise, there’s some complex stuff going on ,which you’ll definitely need a conversation or two to get straight. ... There are some problems, but even acknowledging those, it’s hard not to fall in love with Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
=============
OK, I know, you've got Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, you don't need BJ curating reviews. Did I break this thread yet? Indulge me just for today.  icon_smile Kudos to Twitter's search function for helping me track these down. I purposely haven't read most in depth. I think it's a good sign that out of 15 reviews or so, I couldn't find anything remotely negative. We're not talking TDK or Avengers type reviews, but certainly stronger critical kudos than the first Cap film, fwiw.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:04:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »

That's some obsession right there.  Whether it's healthy or not....

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »

I woke up wondering "hmm, I wonder if Blackjack found any more reviews for CA:TWS"

then I came in here and all doubt was removed.  biggrin

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 21, 2014, 02:57:45 PM

I woke up wondering "hmm, I wonder if Blackjack found any more reviews for CA:TWS"

then I came in here and all doubt was removed.  biggrin
What? Caine wants more?  icon_smile

Forbes
Link:
...it’s not just destined to be another solid and financially successful entry in their collection of comic book films, it’s one of the best the genre has ever seen and takes Marvel’s cinematic endeavors in a more complex, serious, and dramatic direction.
=======
16:9 reviews (fwiw, claims to be a "spoiler-free" review)
Link:
This film feels a million miles away from its predecessor (I'll kick her ass too! icon_razz-bj); it has a sharp script, the acting is brilliant, especially from Evans and Johansson who just KILLS as Widow, and the concept of the plot feels refreshingly different.

Whilst the film isn’t ground-breaking with regards to completely smashing through the conventions of the genre and the narrative is more than slightly predictable, the storyline feels current as it concerns itself more with clever planning and execution rather than the simple SMASH and BANG antics we are more than used to (*cough*Thor*cough*).
=======
The Fortean Times (5/5 stars)
Link:
What’s perhaps most surprising is that the Russo brothers – with a background in TV comedies like Arrested Development and Community – have turned in the best action movie I’ve ever seen.

And it’s not down to the CGI spectacle – impressive though that is – but to the fight sequences: these are astonishing well choreographed and possessed of a thumping, visceral heft that simply drags you into the fray and leaves you reeling.
=======
SFX Magazine (UK; note that I think the movie opens there next week)
Link:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Directors Joe and Anthony Russo earned their stripes with comedy but they prove impressively muscular filmmakers. This is the most exhilarating action yet seen in a Marvel movie.

The fight scenes are tightly, slickly choreographed, brought to the screen with a sense of brutal ballet. Car chases are executed with a clear grasp of the visceral, the Russos favouring hand-held camera, slaloming through fastlane traffic. Elsewhere there are great storms of shattered glass and gunfire. It’s a rare window that nobody smashes through.
======
Chillidog Movies (UK movie blog)
Link:
The obligatory super-heroics and brilliant special effects combined with intrigue, tension and spectacular (and I mean spectacular) action make for arguably Marvel's most complete film yet, a popcorn epic that manages to mix big scale thrills with a real feel for character. Add a touch of 70s conspiracy thriller and Bourne style techno-paranoia and you've got a supremely entertaining movie.
=====
Hey U Guys co.UK
Link:
Where Captain America: The First Avenger was an efficient if slightly underwhelming piece of superhero entertainment [I give up; I can't kick ALL the asses of reviewers bashing the first film icon_razz-bj], the star-spangled hero’s second solo outing helmed by Community’s Anthony and Joe Russo is an altogether different beast; multi-layered and action-packed, it’s Marvel’s best standalone film yet and easily the best representation of the character on screen thus far.

Furious Fan Boys (well, with a name like that, expect enthusiasm, right?-bj)
Link:
As someone who loved Ed Brubaker’s entire run on Captain America, so much so that I still enjoy re-reading those story lines, I was really looking forward to seeing The Winter Soldier. It’s arguably one of the best stories that Marvel has told in the last couple of decades in the comic, and it’s been realized fantastically on the big screen. It gives Cap an emotional journey, and .... The film raises the bar for action in superhero movies, and it still remains to be as fun as you want a Marvel movie to be.

It’s not hyperbole to say that Captain America: The Winters Soldier is better than The Avengers. It’s the new jewel in Marvel Studios’ crown. See it immediately.
=====
The Movie Bit
Link:
Captain America The Winter Solider marks the half way point in Marvel’s Phase Two (Guardians Of The Galaxy and Avengers Age Of Ultron completes the second phase) and holy crap, does it make a mark! So much so that on your way out, you’ll buy another ticket to see it again.

And..... *dragged away from keyboard by The Red Skull*  Bring your own!
=============

btw, have read some kvetching about the movie's length -- it's 136 minutes (2 hours, 16 minutes). Still short compared to say, The Dark Knight (152 minutes; 2 hours 32 minutes), and it's shorter a bit than Marvel's The Avengers (143 minutes; 2 hours 23 minutes). It sounds like they have a lot of story to tell so I'm glad Disney/Marvel didn't shortchange it on whatever time they felt they needed. I reserve the right to feel differently April 3.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:28:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »

I do appreciate you posting these. I'll read a few after I've seen the movie and posted my son's review. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 21, 2014, 05:30:09 PM

I do appreciate you posting these. I'll read a few after I've seen the movie and posted my son's review. 
Ha, thanks. I know it's silly, I just am pleased so far that even the most jaundiced critics seem pretty pleased with it. I've also learned there are a few hundred movie news/reviews blogs I've never heard of at all.

Here's a bit more...

Modern Myth Media
Link:
Transcendence is the point at which a superhero film moves beyond the confines of its home genre and firmly plants its feet in another. The most frequently cited example is 2008′s THE DARK KNIGHT, a modern crime drama that just so happens to star a vigilante dressed as a bat and a homicidal clown. CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER makes a successful leap onto the field of the political and espionage thriller while still delivering all the expected flavors of the Marvel Studios brand.
Its ambition is exceeded only by its execution, making this CAPTAIN AMERICA sequel a credit to the genre from which it transcends and a triumph for Marvel.
=====================
Movie and Film Reviews blog
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is an excellent movie all around with only one area where it does disappoint.  Immediately after watching the film you will be asking when the next Marvel film is out.  Good acting performances from all of those involved and a great storyline, "Captain America: The Winter Solider" is certainly going to be one of the bigger blockbuster movies of the year.

It questions peoples morals and is very relatable to the world we live in today.  It is more than just a comic book movie.  It is enjoyable, exciting and has something that every viewer will be able to enjoy.
============

Hitfix
Link:
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is a tremendous piece of pop entertainment, smart and engaging and featuring a home run movie star lead performance by Chris Evans and the best overall supporting cast in one of the Marvel movies in terms of everybody having something significant to do and everyone being written for to a degree where they're playing people and not just types.
I'm a bit surprised Collider, which sent folks to the early critics' screening, hasn't posted a review or maybe a longer impressions piece than "Frosty" Weintrab could share on Twitter.

A lot of these sites posting early views are in the UK where it debuts next Friday. I'm actually off next Friday from work and really wish it was playing in the U.S. then.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »

A little different - a review of the movie's music, composed by Henry Jackman (not related to Hugh  icon_smile):
http://www.movie-wave.net/captain-america-the-winter-soldier/

I don't know why Alan Silvestri wasn't invited back after Cap and The Avengers. Some sites claim Feige and co. thought the Avengers' soundtrack was too old-fashioned sounding but given the $1B+ box office I don't see how anyone can fault the music.

Presumably they wanted something "newer, darker and edgier," (in keeping with the director change), and Silvestri tends to do more classical, orchestral, upbeat themes in the vein of John Williams and maybe James Horner. I loved Cap's music so much I bought a few of the themes on iTunes.

While a couple segments in The Winter Soldier call back to Silvestri's distinctive themes a bit, they apparently aren't on the official soundtrack album.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:36:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »

Skype's early screening rewarded attendees with a half dozen animated, Captain America-themed emoticons. How do we get in on this?  icon_smile

http://vanguardcomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Cap-Badges.jpg

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »

from the web page linked in that image

For mightier chats: just add heroes
We're celebrating the world premiere of Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier with our first-ever Marvel emoticons! To add some action to your chats, try typing in (captain) (bucky) (nickfury) or (blackwidow) to reveal these limited edition characters. You'll need the very latest version of Skype, where they should be ready to deploy from 13 March*. But make the most of them - they won't be on duty for long.

Plus we're laying down the gauntlet for true Cap fans: take on our challenge to unlock one final, hidden emoticon...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: