http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] The Lone Ranger  (Read 2844 times)
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »

The reviews aren't kind on this one. And everything I've read about it seems to indicate it's a Hollywood action movie with a Western theme rather than a true Western. I don't think Westerns are in any danger, however, as we've had some great Westerns in the last few years.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 05:57:47 PM »

The trailers kind of lost me with the scene showing silver running on top of the train.

Hollywood continues to disappoint.

Wake up.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 04:20:48 AM »

I likely won't waste my time on this. I quite liked the first Pirates of the Carribean movie (it's hard to remember now that Johnny Depp was Oscar nominated for it), but the only person lame-brained enough to think Gore Vidal was ideal for a Lone Ranger movie was well, of course, Jerry Bruckheimer, imho.  icon_razz

I am old enough to have enjoyed the old TV show with Clayton Moore and to have even read some Lone Ranger comic books in the early 1970s. I think like the horrible Wild, Wild West movie a few years ago, I don't really see the point of rebooting or adapting stuff to the point that you completely mangle and distort the source material beyond recognition. This happens with most movies also that use old TV properties and then, well, take a big dump on them.  icon_razz

I would've loved to have seen what, say, James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma remake, and the upcoming The Wolverine) would've done with the Lone Ranger on a less insanely Bruckheimer budget. He probably would've treated the characters with respect and chances are not cast Johnny Deep as a Tonto Feeding a Dead Crow on His Head Bizareness.

But Jerry B. would say Westerns aren't blockbusters anymore, and that summer audiences only respond to 2 hour digital FX-gasms. Fine, Jerry, but The Lone Ranger just got completely annihilated on July 4 by "Despicable Me 2." ($34.3 million to $9.7 million).

This has been a weird movie summer. I saw Iron Man 3 three times but with only modest enthusiasm. I loved Star Trek into Darkness but much of the domestic market didn't share the enthusiasm. I found Man of Steel reasonably entertaining but not enough to want to defend it or see it again. I'll probably skip Lone Ranger altogether. Oh well, I've saved some money.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:22:33 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »

Not to pile on...

Little Interest in ‘Lone Ranger’ Is Blow for Disney
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/06/business/media/little-interest-in-lone-ranger-is-blow-for-disney.html?_r=0
Walt Disney Studios spent the July 4 holiday watching its expensive action western, “The Lone Ranger,” disintegrate in a box-office collision with a strong performance by the goofy little animated heroes of Universal Pictures’s “Despicable Me 2.”
 A Disney spokesman on Friday declined to discuss the film’s performance.

Early Tuesday, the analyst Doug Creutz, with Cowen & Company in San Francisco, was quoted in a report from the Bloomberg News service, predicting that Disney would eventually write off $100 million on “The Lone Ranger.”

That would be about half the write-down it took on another large-scale film disaster, “John Carter,” which cost about $350 million to make and market, and collected only about $282 million at the worldwide box office after its release in March 2012. (Studios keep only part of the box office receipts, which are shared with exhibitors, but also collect money from home entertainment and other sales.) A year earlier, Disney had suffered a similar disaster with another expensive flop, “Mars Needs Moms.”
imho, Disney should've canceled the movie when the budget ($225M) got so crazy out of hand. Do you really need $225M and an army of digital FX artists to do an entertaining Lone Ranger movie? Yes, if you're Jerry Bruckheimer and Gore Vidal. No, if...

Oh I'll stop beating a dead Silver, so to speak. disgust No doubt they'll reboot this in five years. Probably with a space alien archery-expert girl as the Lone Ranger. The kids love that stuff!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:58:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 05, 2013, 05:54:23 PM

Not to pile on...

Little Interest in ‘Lone Ranger’ Is Blow for Disney
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/06/business/media/little-interest-in-lone-ranger-is-blow-for-disney.html?_r=0
Walt Disney Studios spent the July 4 holiday watching its expensive action western, “The Lone Ranger,” disintegrate in a box-office collision with a strong performance by the goofy little animated heroes of Universal Pictures’s “Despicable Me 2.”
 A Disney spokesman on Friday declined to discuss the film’s performance.

Early Tuesday, the analyst Doug Creutz, with Cowen & Company in San Francisco, was quoted in a report from the Bloomberg News service, predicting that Disney would eventually write off $100 million on “The Lone Ranger.”

That would be about half the write-down it took on another large-scale film disaster, “John Carter,” which cost about $350 million to make and market, and collected only about $282 million at the worldwide box office after its release in March 2012. (Studios keep only part of the box office receipts, which are shared with exhibitors, but also collect money from home entertainment and other sales.) A year earlier, Disney had suffered a similar disaster with another expensive flop, “Mars Needs Moms.”
imho, Disney should've canceled the movie when the budget ($225M) got so crazy out of hand. Do you really need $225M and an army of digital FX artists to do an entertaining Lone Ranger movie? Yes, if you're Jerry Bruckheimer and Gore Vidal. No, if...

Oh I'll stop beating a dead Silver, so to speak. disgust No doubt they'll reboot this in five years. Probably with a space alien archery-expert girl as the Lone Ranger. The kids love that stuff!

Agree completely!

Wake up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »

yeah, they should have sent that money to Egypt!  biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2013, 02:03:44 AM »

but the only person lame-brained enough to think Gore Vidal was ideal for a Lone Ranger movie was well, of course, Jerry Bruckheimer

Yes, if you're Jerry Bruckheimer and Gore Vidal.

While it would be interesting to see a Lone Ranger movie directed by Gore Vidal, given that he's both not a director and dead, I think you guys mean Gore Verbinski  Tongue

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2013, 02:44:52 AM »

maybe he's got an A Gore Aphobia.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »

I watched this on Thursday and enjoyed it. Depp is fantastic, and the movie has a lot of good humor sprinkled throughout. I'm not entirely sure how i feel about it yet, but I don't think it was at all a bad film. Some heavier themes than I anticipated going in, and the lady actually left the movie theater a little sad.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 03:12:17 AM »

Same here. I love it. It is a strange experience. It is not a standard western. It has funny moments but also serious and sad moments.

I think it is unfortunate for it to be released on the same week as Despicable Me 2. Also the critics probably started their reviews with a strong bias against it. They wanted to slam the movie so they're looking for fault instead of trying to enjoy it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:41:21 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 03:32:13 AM »

My Wife and I loved the movie, in fact we enjoyed it more than the first Pirates film.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »

Box office wise, this isn't just a bomb, it's a Bomb with a capital B ($11.1M  saywhat 2nd weekend), a Disaster with a capital D. It may not even reach $90M domestically. It's not expected to do well internationally. It likely cost $315M+ to make/market.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=loneranger.htm

Disney will likely take a write off, and Depp & Vidal will drown their sorrows in Pirates 5. Most pundits think Depp needs a break from Quirky characters.

Whatever it's merits, I just maintain no sane director should need $215M to tell a compelling Lone Ranger tale, and no studio should bankroll a Western at that budget. confused

Although Pacific Rim also had an underwhelming debut, most pundits expect that to do well overseas, as a CGIfest.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:27:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: