http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 11:58:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie]The Incredible Hulk  (Read 5416 times)
Covenant
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »

Only one man can save us now...

chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 05:22:04 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 16, 2008, 06:18:44 PM

it translates into this:  "THE 'TOP IS YOUR GOD, WORSHIP THE 'TOP, THE 'TOP BRINGS PROP COMEDY TO THE WORLD AND FOR THAT YOU SHOULD BOW DOWN AND KISS HIS FEET, YOU UNDESERVING BASTAR..."

whoa...what just happened there??? 

did...did the 'top just tell me to kill again?

The Sledge-O-Matic shall set you free, my son. And you will know his name is the LORD when he lays his Props upon thee. (Gallagher 25:17)

Spawn of OO Collective
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 06:01:21 AM »

WRRROOOOOOONNNG!!!!

there's only ONE MAN who can save us now you dirty sluts!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 17, 2008, 06:01:21 AM

WRRROOOOOOONNNG!!!!

there's only ONE MAN who can save us now you dirty sluts!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

how goes your work on the Sam Kinison revitalization project?  Did you get that zombie juice from Haiti you'd been searching for?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 17, 2008, 01:46:50 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 17, 2008, 06:01:21 AM

WRRROOOOOOONNNG!!!!

how goes your work on the Sam Kinison revitalization project?  Did you get that zombie juice from Haiti you'd been searching for?

he never died. he just got a bad case of laryngitis.

(and PR_GMR is working on the Zombie Juice Project)

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay

I need some extract from M Night Shyalaman's brain before the Zombie Juice potion can be completed.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 17, 2008, 02:48:28 PM

Quote from: CeeKay

I need some extract from M Night Shyalaman's brain before the Zombie Juice potion can be completed.

After "The Crappening" and "The Bitch in the Pool" I would rethink involving M Night in anything that would involve the entertainment business...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 02:30:58 AM »

Just got back. I liked it quite a lot, but not quite as much as Iron Man. To make a comparison, these two movies are like Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale. BG2/Iron Man has more story, more memorable characters, and in general the more complete package. IWD/Hulk takes the action parts from BG2, improves even more on the action parts, but drops a lot of the story and characterization to do so. Still, you can tell both came from the same developer/studio, since they both are quite polished and really, are good standards to judge other superhero movies against this summer.

Quote from: Caine on June 15, 2008, 06:11:41 AM

stark in the suit was much more believable and there's very little effective characterization going on when the hulk is on screen.  they make an attempt, but it comes off as king kong-ish instead of a real scene.

My friend mentioned this exact thing, that the Hulk seemed more like King Kong at times than anything, and it came off as odd.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2008, 08:54:42 AM »

Random spoilers throughout

Quote from: Jiffy on June 18, 2008, 02:30:58 AM

Just got back. I liked it quite a lot, but not quite as much as Iron Man. To make a comparison, these two movies are like Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale. BG2/Iron Man has more story, more memorable characters, and in general the more complete package. IWD/Hulk takes the action parts from BG2, improves even more on the action parts, but drops a lot of the story and characterization to do so. Still, you can tell both came from the same developer/studio, since they both are quite polished and really, are good standards to judge other superhero movies against this summer.

Quote from: Caine on June 15, 2008, 06:11:41 AM

stark in the suit was much more believable and there's very little effective characterization going on when the hulk is on screen.  they make an attempt, but it comes off as king kong-ish instead of a real scene.

My friend mentioned this exact thing, that the Hulk seemed more like King Kong at times than anything, and it came off as odd.

I can see that comparison, but it's not all together unlike how the Hulk is/was.  Before he starts to get control over who he is when he's the hulk and the hulk's personality evolves, he kinda is like a King Kong on the inside imo. 

Overall I really liked the movie, no huge problems with it in any case.  Enjoyed my time at the theater and look forward to seeing more.  I enjoyed the time while he was Banner just as much as when he was Hulk which surprised me (especially after someone else had mentioned the comparison to Stark/Ironman and how Banner/Hulk wasn't the same).  For me I could watch either movie minus the hero parts and still enjoy it, but I like character driven pieces.

I had a concern that the way they introduced stuff quickly in the beginning over the credits would confuse the average movie goer who is oblivious and doesn't really pay attention to details. Hopefully this isn't the case.

I liked how they didn't kill anyone off but still had a resolution.  That's how comic movies should be imo.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2008, 07:34:35 PM »

I just got back from watching it, and HOLY CRAP  eek, was this movie excellent.  This movie, along with Iron Man, was like watching the comic book unfold in real life.  It was THAT good.  The fight between Hulk and Abomination was classic.  Instantly one of the best fight scenes in a movie.  PERIOD.

Quote from: Harkonis on June 21, 2008, 08:54:42 AM

I enjoyed the time while he was Banner just as much as when he was Hulk which surprised me (especially after someone else had mentioned the comparison to Stark/Ironman and how Banner/Hulk wasn't the same).  For me I could watch either movie minus the hero parts and still enjoy it, but I like character driven pieces.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Banner was not just a brooding martyr.  Ed Norton owed the character, much like RDJ with Tony Stark, and made it his own.  Great performances all around (including Liv Tyler).  She wasn't your typical damsel in distress constantly screaming her lungs out.  She was always calm and refreshing on screen, IMO.

Quote from: Harkonis on June 21, 2008, 08:54:42 AM

I liked how they didn't kill anyone off but still had a resolution.  That's how comic movies should be imo.

Exactly.  Hulk almost got to that point and his humanity got the best of him courtesy of Betty Ross.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wonder what in the hell is going to happen to Mr. Blue???  I haven't really followed the Hulk that much...

Nevermind...this from Wikipedia:

Samuel Sterns, played by Tim Blake Nelson, was introduced to set him up as a villain in a future film, where he would become the Leader.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:43:13 PM by rickfc » Logged
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2008, 12:00:59 AM »

saw it earlier this afternoon and i think it's a really well done movie...much better than the last Hulk.  while i don't think it's as good as Ironman, it's definitely very entertaining, tells a good story, and the special effects do a pretty convincing job.  edward norton did a great job (as expected), but i thought liv tyler's acting was a bit thin (also as expected)...good enough performances from everyone to make for a solid movie though.  numerous references to the old tv show and tie-ins to other parts of the Marvel universe were nice touches as well.  i'm really impressed by the direction Marvel seems to be taking their movies now and really look forward to seeing their future efforts.

now i'm leagerly ooking forward to the next DC film when The Dark Knight hits in a few weeks icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 06:51:51 AM »

I watched this tonight and was really not expecting much, but man oh man was this an awesome movie!  I was a fan of the Ang Lee Hulk, so the reboot seemed kind of silly to me, but money talks I guess.  I heard it was more action than the first one and they sure got that right.  There was quite a few intense moments.  Even the lady liked it and she was expecting even less than I was.  Bravo Marvel, for making 2 kick ass movies in one summer!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 07:54:51 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 06:51:51 AM

I was a fan of the Ang Lee Hulk, so the reboot seemed kind of silly to me, but money talks I guess. 
So you enjoyed the Hulk-ified poodle? smile
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »

I just finally got around to watching it as well.  We had a "superhero night" and watched Iron Man immediately followed by The Incredible Hulk.  I really appreciated the classic feel of the film's introduction, as it look almost as if I was watching the original television series.  I also loved the use of the original series musical score as well as cameos by both Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby.

I was initially concerned with Liv Tyler's character as I loathe her as an actor, but she managed to deliver a solid performance with minimal irritation (her normal, whiny delivery is what typically irks me) and I've always been a fan of Tim Roth since his role as Mr. Orange.  On a side note, I just can't help but think that the "Mr. Green" and "Mr. Blue" designations were at least in part a tribute to the colors used in Reservoir Dogs.  Perhaps not, but it's at least a cool coincidence given Tim Roth's background.

The story itself was much better than Ang Lee's Hulk, and it stayed true to the original television series (I can't comment on the comics as I've never read them).  The television series involved the constant transience of Bruce Banner as he attempts to remain one step ahead of a pursuing journalist and a military general.  The film obviously didn't involve a pesky journalist, but the general played a prominent role. 

Overall, while I wouldn't say The Incredible Hulk was as good as Iron Man, it was still a solid superhero offering and we truly enjoyed it.  I will certainly watch it again and again as we have with Iron Man, Batman Begins, and X-Men and X-Men 2.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »

Regarding cameos, I gotta say I love the Stan Lee cameos in all these Marvel movies biggrin
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 03:42:06 PM

Regarding cameos, I gotta say I love the Stan Lee cameos in all these Marvel movies biggrin

I completely forgot to mention that as well.  While his cameos in past Marvel films like the original Spider Man were somewhat subtle, they've grown to be quite funny and prominent in more recent films.  His cameo in Iron Man as Hugh Heffner is still by far my favorite. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2008, 03:55:17 PM »

I saw it in the theatre some months back and I was surprised that I liked it more than the 1st which I also enjoyed. The only thing I missed was Jennifer Connolly who I thought carried a lot of the 1st film. I liked all of the cast in the 2nd film, but William Hurt's character impressed me the most; damn good performance and much better than Sam Elliott's IMO.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2008, 03:58:19 PM »

I've heard that there's is supposed to be a reference to another Avenger (not Iron Man) in the alternate opening sequence, but haven't gotten my hands on the movie yet.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2008, 03:58:19 PM

I've heard that there's is supposed to be a reference to another Avenger (not Iron Man) in the alternate opening sequence, but haven't gotten my hands on the movie yet.

Dammit, I already sent it back to Netflix without watching the alternate opening scene  crybaby

EDIT:  I just looked it up online, apparently it's a micro-second view of Capt America on ice in the Antarctic.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:09:16 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 06, 2008, 03:06:56 PM

I also loved the use of the original series musical score as well as cameos by both Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby.

Stupid question (see Sky Captain and the world of Blue Screen): How did Bixby have a cameo if he died 15 years ago?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 06, 2008, 04:09:53 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 06, 2008, 03:06:56 PM

I also loved the use of the original series musical score as well as cameos by both Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby.

Stupid question (see Sky Captain and the world of Blue Screen): How did Bixby have a cameo if he died 15 years ago?

Bruce Banner is watching an episode of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" to improve his Portuguese.   

Don't make me hungry.  You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.   icon_lol

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 04:05:27 PM

Dammit, I already sent it back to Netflix without watching the alternate opening scene  crybaby

EDIT:  I just looked it up online, apparently it's a micro-second view of Capt America on ice in the Antarctic.

There's actually quite a few semi-subtle references to Captain America throughout the movie as well.  Seems like Marvel is really gearing up for the Avengers movie.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2008, 04:30:11 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on November 06, 2008, 04:27:33 PM

There's actually quite a few semi-subtle references to Captain America throughout the movie as well.  Seems like Marvel is really gearing up for the Avengers movie.

Yeah when they said "super soldier" I was all nerded out!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 04:30:11 PM

Yeah when they said "super soldier" I was all nerded out!

Same here.  I liked that the whole thing worked as a plot point, too, as opposed to just a throw-away reference for people who were familiar with Marvel comics. 

Now if they can just work some Thor and Ant Man cameos into Iron Man 2, Marvel should be good to go.  slywink

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2008, 06:57:29 PM »

I watched this on election night, and I found it interesting that it looks like they already have a set up for the next villian if there is a sequel.  While I thought the first Hulk movie was too long, I enjoyed it.  This one is much better though.  Much better action and truer to some of the things the Hulk would do.  Did anyone think of Ultimate Destruction when he ripped the car in half and put them on as boxing gloves?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2008, 07:26:03 PM »

Another question:  Did they keep it as Disney as the last one where no one dies from the Hulk's actions, only their own stupidity?

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2008, 07:30:37 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 06, 2008, 07:26:03 PM

Another question:  Did they keep it as Disney as the last one where no one dies from the Hulk's actions, only their own stupidity?

No more "Disney" than Iron Man, as neither film really shows obvious deaths, but the destruction and carnage resulting from both film battles is not in short supply. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2008, 07:44:04 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 06, 2008, 07:30:37 PM

No more "Disney" than Iron Man, as neither film really shows obvious deaths, but the destruction and carnage resulting from both film battles is not in short supply. 

Yeah there's no blood splattered on the screen, but I felt there were quite a few implied deaths from smashing.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 03:42:06 PM

I was bummed out they didnt show what happens to Stan Lee in the Hulk movie.

When I saw it was him that the plot line lead to, I was hoping that they would make it worth while.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »

Nick Fury's name popped up a couple of times.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2008, 07:44:04 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 06, 2008, 07:30:37 PM

Yeah there's no blood splattered on the screen, but I felt there were quite a few implied deaths from smashing.

Well at least that's better than Ang Lee, where they made it a "Beat you over the head with it" point that flinging a tank over a mile into the side of a mountain would result merely in a little ringing in the ears for the crew.  There's suspension of disbelief ... and then there's Ang Lee.  Which is now my new sig line.

GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »

I thought this was quite awesome.  I've sat through all of the deleted scenes now, and I better understand why Ed Norton was so ticked by all of the cutting that they did.  They *really* cut this thing to the bone.  I'm actually impressed by how good a job they did with the cutting, since there was a lot of important/interesting exposition that got cut that was still fairly well represented in the final product.  I'd really enjoy seeing a sequal to this flick.  Hopefully Ed Norton will be interested.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2008, 08:20:10 AM »

after watching the movie tonight I can confirm the Captain sighting in the alternate opening:

not too shabby of a movie- much better than the Ang Lee one.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2011, 02:57:41 AM »

I am going through a bit of a kick with Marvel movies mainly to prepare me for next years Avengers movie,and there are two i need to pick up,Iron Man 2 and this

reading the review on Amazon,one of the sentences a bit in read "Edward Norton takes up where Eric Bana left off in Lee's version.."
so,does that mean this a reboot or a sequel?..i was under the impression it was a reboot

also,FF4-ROTSS was on Amazon(which i also haven't got,but seen unfortunately)....for sale for a penny,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 19, 2011, 02:57:41 AM

I am going through a bit of a kick with Marvel movies mainly to prepare me for next years Avengers movie,and there are two i need to pick up,Iron Man 2 and this

reading the review on Amazon,one of the sentences a bit in read "Edward Norton takes up where Eric Bana left off in Lee's version.."
so,does that mean this a reboot or a sequel?..i was under the impression it was a reboot

also,FF4-ROTSS was on Amazon(which i also haven't got,but seen unfortunately)....for sale for a penny,LOL

I thought the Ed Norton was a sequel to the Bana one, but a reboot at the same time.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2011, 03:17:32 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 19, 2011, 03:10:00 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 19, 2011, 02:57:41 AM

I thought the Ed Norton was a sequel to the Bana one, but a reboot at the same time.

ahh i see actors etc its a reboot but storywise its a sequel..okay then,thanks Leo

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2011, 05:03:39 AM »

no, it had nothing to do with the story of the Ang Lee one.  This was 100% reboot.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2011, 05:08:07 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 19, 2011, 05:03:39 AM

no, it had nothing to do with the story of the Ang Lee one.  This was 100% reboot.

Really?  His being on the run wasn't a continuation of the Ang Lee one?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2011, 05:11:12 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 19, 2011, 05:08:07 AM

no, it wasn't.  Him being on the run was completely setup by the story being told during the opening credits.  He was on the run from General Ross because of the lab incident shown in the opening.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2011, 05:12:45 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 19, 2011, 05:11:12 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 19, 2011, 05:08:07 AM

no, it wasn't.  Him being on the run was completely setup by the story being told during the opening credits.  He was on the run from General Ross because of the lab incident shown in the opening.

Ah my mistake.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: