http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 08:26:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie]The Incredible Hulk  (Read 5516 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:19:44 PM »

It's finally here--the 're-boot' of the Hulk franchise. Although I thought the first trailer looked like ass, the movie is getting surprisingly favorable reviews, and it's so far tracking at 71% at RT. Here's what the Hollywood Reporter had to say:

It turns out Marvel Studios knows how to make solid movies out of Marvel Comics. The production arm of Marvel Entertainment is 2-for-2 in 2008, hitting home runs with "Iron Man" and now "The Incredible Hulk." "Iron Man" has more wit and style, but "Hulk" is a neat thrill ride with an intelligent script by Zak Penn and smart, well-paced direction by the French director of "The Transporter" series, Louis Leterrier.

The film does represent a sea change from Ang Lee's "Hulk" in 2003, which had the temerity to delve into Oedipal conflicts, repressed memory and scientific hubris. This movie emphasizes action over introspection, but star Edward Norton, who reportedly tinkered more than a little with the script, makes certain the hero still broods over the curse of his cells poisoned by gamma radiation.

The film is poised to carry the weekend buoyed by an unbeatable combination of buzz and hype. The franchise is safe...

CNN.com just posted that:

Imagine Jason Bourne in stretchy pants. That's the basic idea in Marvel's relaunch for Stan Lee's Jekyll-and-Hyde character, "The Incredible Hulk."..

...(the movie) It's all pretty straightforward, and there's nothing wrong with that. French filmmaker Louis Leterrier ("Transporter 2") doesn't carry the same intellectual or artistic baggage with him that Ang Lee does, but he seems more in touch with the comic book's pop mythology. Moreover, his jokes are funnier...

O Right, I'll bite. I'll make some time for it this weekend.

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »

The preiviews look terrible but the movie is Edward Norton versus Mr Orange.  How could that possibly suck?  I'm torn.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »

I'm in. Doesn't sound like it will be the well-rounded package that Iron Man was, but does sound like a good old-fashioned action romp.

Plus I love Ed Norton and Liv Tyler is yummy.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 13, 2008, 03:39:10 PM

I'm in. Doesn't sound like it will be the well-rounded package that Iron Man was, but does sound like a good old-fashioned action romp.

Agreed.  My wife has been eyeing reviews, and even though it doesn't look like it reaches the standard set by Iron Man, it still sounds like a fun ride. 

Plus I love Ed Norton...

Agreed.  Even as a scumbag like in Rounders you can't help to appreciate his acting chops.  He was awesome in 25th Hour, fantastic in Primal Fear, and I just loved his performance in Fight Club.

...and Liv Tyler is yummy.

And here's where to lost me.  She may be yummy, but I absolutely loathe her "acting."  Ever since Empire Records her delivery has been the same airy, nasally whine.  She strikes me as being the Katie Holmes of The Incredible Hulk. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:47:43 PM »

'Yummy' has nothing to do with her acting skills. In fact, it would suit me fine if she doesn't say a word the entire movie. And if they can find a way to justify some skimpy clothing and pointy elf ears, I'm all for that too.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:50:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 13, 2008, 03:44:41 PM

And here's where to lost me.  She may be yummy, but I absolutely loathe her "acting."  Ever since Empire Records her delivery has been the same airy, nasally whine.  She strikes me as being the Katie Holmes of The Incredible Hulk. 

Empire Records was an utterly and compltely surprisingly awesome movie.  Way better than it had a right to be.  And "Sugar High" is a song I have track down one day.

Liv Tyler's hotness comes and goes.  I'd not watch a movie on the strength of watching her.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »

after initially being turned off by the previews the reviews have made me kind of interested.  I probably won't be seeing it this weekend but maybe next.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 03:53:36 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on June 13, 2008, 03:50:36 PM

Empire Records was an utterly and compltely surprisingly awesome movie.  Way better than it had a right to be.  And "Sugar High" is a song I have track down one day.

I love that movie.  I've never been able to find the version of Sugar High that they have in the movie though (with Renee singing in the middle of it), just the regular version by Coyote Shivers.  Still, it's an great song.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 13, 2008, 03:47:43 PM

'Yummy' has nothing to do with her acting skills. In fact, it would suit me fine if she doesn't say a word the entire movie. And if they can find a way to justify some skimpy clothing and pointy elf ears, I'm all for that too.

My problem is that the moment she opens her mouth and says anything her hotness goes right down the toilet.  If this were the day and age of Charlie Chaplain and silent films I might be able to tolerate her at least somewhat.  But the fact that anyone allows her to actually speak continues to blow my mind.

Quote from: LordMortis on June 13, 2008, 03:50:36 PM

Absolutely.  My wife made me watch it when we were first dating and I was definitely surprised that I actually enjoyed it.  Shag, on the other hand?  The longest hour and a half of my life. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 04:46:19 PM »

Liv Tyler has one of the most beautiful faces in Hollywood. She definetely 'gives good face', as Madonna put it many years ago. Now, I get the impression that Liv doesn't look all that great naked. Some of the recent pics I've seen of her give me that impression. Her boobs.. I'm just sayin'... may not be altogether there.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »

Well, off the subject of Liv Tyler's boobs (which I'm sure I wouldn't turn down if they were presented to me and I were single - which they won't and I'm not)...

...I'm up for this one.  Love Ed Norton (American History X FTW) and the reviews are generally favorable.  Given that I have relatively low expectations for this movie, I shouldn't be disappointed.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 13, 2008, 03:56:14 PM

Absolutely.  My wife made me watch it when we were first dating and I was definitely surprised that I actually enjoyed it.  Shag, on the other hand?  The longest hour and a half of my life. 

Really? Given your verbosity, I would have expected it to be somewhere along the lines where you were answering the question "Which way did he go?" slywink I keed, I keed.

Liv Tyler reminds me of her dad. That's not a good thing. Replace with Megan Fox, Biel or Alba and all is forgiven, Mister Hulk, sir. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »

The reviews are swaying me towards this one in theaters.  The trailers had left me bleh.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »

Tony Stark has a cameo. You can see part of it on TV Spot 8.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BOq0BD_Eiig
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on June 13, 2008, 05:05:09 PM

Tony Stark has a cameo. You can see part of it on TV Spot 8.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BOq0BD_Eiig

saw that last night.  looks nice.  i'm a little surprised they put that out there considering all the secrecy about iron man's post credits appearance

i will make it a point to see this on sunday as a "father's day" present, minus the kids. 

tgb1.1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 13, 2008, 03:39:10 PM

I love Ed Norton

Me, too.

"My performance in Postal as 'Nazi Theme Park Owner' outperforms easily Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List!" - Uwe Boll
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 13, 2008, 05:19:36 PM

i will make it a point to see this on sunday as a "father's day" present, minus the kids. 

ooh totally forgot I had that card to play this weekend... sweet!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 07:04:07 PM »

When was it Hollywood decided it could just create a "do-over" of a film that was released just a few years prior?  It's kind of odd if you think about it.  Also, what's that say about the directors and actors from the first version?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »

When was it Hollywood decided it could just create a "do-over" of a film that was released just a few years prior?

When it sucked so hard that it threatened to ruin any franchise prospects. Marvel's got HUGE money riding on their superhero movies right now, and Hulk is a major character.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 13, 2008, 07:45:33 PM

When was it Hollywood decided it could just create a "do-over" of a film that was released just a few years prior?

When it sucked so hard that it threatened to ruin any franchise prospects. Marvel's got HUGE money riding on their superhero movies right now, and Hulk is a major character.

Well, and if it didn't "suck," per se, it definitely isn't very franchiseable.  Plus, their new strategy revolves around linking a lot of these characters together in a way that they can introduce lesser characters and still build up interest in them.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 08:16:42 PM »

Quote from: jpinard on June 13, 2008, 07:04:07 PM

When was it Hollywood decided it could just create a "do-over" of a film that was released just a few years prior?  It's kind of odd if you think about it.  Also, what's that say about the directors and actors from the first version?

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Seems a bit too soon for a remake. But I guess Marvel feels that now they have their own studio that they're able to do it the way they wanted it and do it right.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 04:48:20 AM »

Just got back.

I'd put it in the 65-70%-ish range, which is what Rotten Tomatoes has it at. The action sequences are well done, Ed Norton's great, but it's rather thin on backstory and lacks the wit and "fun" of some of Marvel's other movies. I guess it's because The Hulk is sort of a tragic figure; unfortunately that tends to make for a rather dour movie. PeteRock will be happy to know Liv Tyler isn't that annoying, mainly because she doesn't have a heck of a lot to say. She just spends most of the movie running around looking worried.

If you just want to see Hulk smash and blow stuff up, it's decent summertime fare. Just don't expect another Iron Man.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 06:05:46 AM »

They should have just kept Jennifer Connelly.  She's amazingly hot and not annoying like Liv Tyler. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 14, 2008, 04:48:20 AM

If you just want to see Hulk smash and blow stuff up, it's decent summertime fare. Just don't expect another Iron Man.

OK, it's back down to rental status.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »

When you say "don't expect another Iron Man", you're just telling us "it's too bad Robert Downey Jr. didn't play Bruce Banner" right? Action-wise The Hulk smashes (no pun intended) Iron Man. I liked the movie, I thought Norton did a good job as Banner and the rest of the cast were fitting, the action sequences were pretty intense and cool and definitely the best part of the movie. If you like Marvel action flicks this one fits the bill.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »

I'd be interested in reading more comparisons with Iron Man before seeing this.   I had no familiarity with the Iron Man comic before seeing the movie and still enjoyed it immensely.   Since I'm much more familiar with the Hulk, through the Bixby tv show, I'd expect more potential enjoyment, pending execution of material.  Ang Lee's Hulk was no fun at all...okay except for seeing him play with the tanks.

One thing I think Iron Man set a standard for in these kinds of movies is having a good guy the audience immediately likes and roots for, who also has flaws that make him more interesting than a bland Superman type character could ever be, while at the same time making those flaws seem intrinsic to the character(not contrived "flaws for the sake of having flaws" crap).

This is one reason I like Iron Man, the movie, much more than even Batman Begins(which I think is awesome): The Stark guy is living the way I think a guy like that would live, so I can relate to him as in "yup, if I was him I'd be doing the same wome...things".  Wayne is not living in any way/shape/form the life I think I would even if I saw my parents murdered right in front of me.  I mean, yeah, the alter ego fighting crime part sure.   It's the emo rich guy part that comes across forced.   I have no interest in Bruce Wayne, I spend his screen time waiting for Batman to show up.   I could watch an entire movie about Stark without them even having to mention Iron Man.

With the Hulk I think the important thing is to make the audience think "yup, if I was the Hulk I'd be doing that too".  For me, the Bixby scenes in the tv show were as compelling as the Ferrigno Hulk scenes, any Hulk movie has to manage that much to be worthy.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »

Just got back and LOVED it!!!!

Definitely look at all of these new Marvel Studios movies as part of a whole- they are most assuredly set in the same universe- very refreshing!

All of the nods to the comic AND the TV series were nicely understated and meshed very neatly

Recommend this highly- If you like Marvel Comics you won't be disappointed

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 11:01:53 PM »

When you say "don't expect another Iron Man", you're just telling us "it's too bad Robert Downey Jr. didn't play Bruce Banner" right?

No, I mean don't expect a clever script or interesting origin story. I was just disappointed that the movie was pretty much one long extended chase sequence. The action sequences are great, but I found all the in-between stuff an absolute bore.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »

I'm going to try and see it sometime next week if I can squeeze it in. I've been pretty excited from the trailers but am keeping my expectations low, I figure as long as Hulk smashes stuff up I'll have a good time.

Supposedly there will be 70 minutes of deleted footage on the BD release which I'm sure includes a lot of the original scenes based on Norton's script additions. Very curious to see how it might differ (apparently his version started the film with Banner attempting suicide).
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 01:00:02 AM »

just saw it and will echo th'FOOL's comments.    really enjoyed it and can recommend it to any Marvel comic fan.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 06:11:41 AM »

the two biggest flaws that the hulk has is it doesn't reach the same bar set by iron man and it really should have been released first.  i think if it had, reviews would have been more favorable, as i don't think it has anything seriously wrong with it.

you get three great action scenes which really showcase how strong the hulk can be, no preachiness about absolute power and it's corrupting effects, and enough backstory to flesh out for people not familiar with the hulk.  the hulk really has a great intro sequence, which acts like a pseudo "previously" intro ala spiderman 2, as if there was a proper origin movie with the same cast.

it's lesser flaws is that its hard to empathize with a cgi character, no matter how realistic they make him.  stark in the suit was much more believable and there's very little effective characterization going on when the hulk is on screen.  they make an attempt, but it comes off as king kong-ish instead of a real scene.  the principal bad guy makes the slide into his character far too easily imo, and they waste a lot of the emotional investment that roth works so hard to create.  as it stands, the grey hulk is just put there for something for the hulk to fight with.  it's a great fight though, but grey hulk pales compared to obediah stane and the warmonger suit. 

my biggest disappointment was stark's scene, and knowing it will be a year or more before we see RDJ in that role again.

i do still recommend seeing it in the theaters though, so if you are at all interested in the marvel universe, it's worth the trip.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »

I watched it last night. My impressions are similar to YK's. I rank the movie around 70%. Entertaining, but not as good or witty as 'Iron Man'. It's a very straightforward tale, with good action sequences and light in character. I get the feeling that some character-development scenes were cut out of the film, since all the characters in the film--from Ed Norton's Bruce Banner to Tim Roth's Emile Blonski--come out a little flat(this explains why Ed Norton is not doing publicity for the film). Liv Tyler as Elizabeth Ross was ok, though I'm afraid this confirms she doesn't have any acting chops; she came across plastic for me.

I did like the nods of the hat to Stan Lee and Lou Ferrigno; Ferrigno in particular got a crowd-pleasing cameo. I also liked the brief use of the Hulk TV show's music in one of the scenes when Banner is walking into a Mexican town, being down and out.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That was cool how they introduced 'The Brain' by having Mr. Blue get altered by Hulk's blood at the lab. Also, I got the feeling that the final scene where Robert Downey walks in as Tony Stark was tacked on in there. It probably was supposed to come after the credits, but the sucess of 'Iron Man' prompted Marvel to re-edit 'Incredible Hulk'. It was neato nonetheless. Lastly, the next-to-last scene, where Bruce figures out how to control the Hulk, was a great touch--no more 'reluctant hero Hulk' in the next movie since he now knows how to control his power.

I say.. bring forth another sequel. I want to see more Hulk.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:43:47 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 09:25:24 PM »

Just saw it with the family.  Overall, a  thumbsup

As I said in this thread, I thought Ed Norton would be good for the role of Bruce Banner.  And while they could have done more with this character, I thought his scenes were spot-on.  He conveyed a genuine fear of what was inside him - something Eric Bana couldn't pull off.  Liv Tyler was acceptable as Betty, though I preferred Jennifer Connelly.  William Hurt was ill-cast for the role - they've never really written General Ross's role right, but I thought  Sam Elliot did a far better job in the 1st movie as Ross.  The "super soldier" Emile Blonski (Tim Roth) was pretty dull and casting a Brit for the role didn't make any sense.

Give props for the numerous "Easter Eggs" in the movie, from the opening credits (Stark Enterprises, Nick Fury) to Lou Ferrigno to Stan Lee to the music from the TV series.  The ending battle was pretty good, too - much better than the ending battle of Iron Man (though Iron Man is the superior movie).  There were no truly weak or horrid parts - we didn't have the whiner Bruce Banner, killer poodles and stupid Nick Nolte in this one.  And the Hulk was drawn better in this one - the facial expressions, skin tone, movement and general sense of power were vastly superior to the 2003 version.

Overall - acceptable popcorn movie and a big improvement from the first.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 10:09:39 PM »

Sounds like it's much improved over the last one, and I even kind of enjoy that one.

I'll see it on Wednesday. I'm definitely glad to hear that Iron Man wasn't just a fluke and that Marvel Studios really seems to be moving their properties in the right direction.

Is Marvel in charge of the next Punisher film or is that still being made by an outside studio?

I'd like to see that one rebooted or at least continued with an entirely different style too.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 04:32:42 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on June 15, 2008, 10:09:39 PM

Is Marvel in charge of the next Punisher film or is that still being made by an outside studio?

I'd like to see that one rebooted or at least continued with an entirely different style too.

I'm not sure int Punisher War Zone is a reboot.  I did see a teaser for it and I am cautiously optimistic, but then again I liked the last one too.

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 05:16:27 AM »

Quote from: jpinard on June 13, 2008, 07:04:07 PM

Don't let Ang Lee make any superhero movie.smile
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »

Drive-in had Forbidden Kingdom (Jet Li, Jackie Chan) and Hulk.

Between the pair of them I felt like a kid again.

Fun. Lots of fun.

Spawn of OO Collective
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »

Saw it on Saturday and enjoyed it.  It was good, matinee escapism.  The amount of action was good but wasn't bogged down by too much self-awareness (the problem with the first one, imho).

Although, maybe I'm just remembering it badly, but I could have sworn that Lee's Hulk looked less "cartoony" than the new one.    icon_confused

Also, after countless times seeing it in the movies, I've come to the conclusion that if you wear a baseball cap with the bill pointing forward, that automatically means you're trying to hide.  From now on I'm just going to call the police if I see someone wearing a b-cap in that manner....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 16, 2008, 05:38:10 PM

From now on I'm just going to call the police if I see someone wearing a b-cap in that manner....

How does that translate for visors? 
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »

Quote from: Shinjin on June 16, 2008, 05:50:24 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 16, 2008, 05:38:10 PM

From now on I'm just going to call the police if I see someone wearing a b-cap in that manner....

How does that translate for visors? 

it translates into this:  "THE 'TOP IS YOUR GOD, WORSHIP THE 'TOP, THE 'TOP BRINGS PROP COMEDY TO THE WORLD AND FOR THAT YOU SHOULD BOW DOWN AND KISS HIS FEET, YOU UNDESERVING BASTAR..."

whoa...what just happened there??? 

did...did the 'top just tell me to kill again?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: