http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:15:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie]The Amazing Spider-Man 2  (Read 4603 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2014, 04:47:09 AM »

Both reviews said it improved on the first ASM.  I didn't realize that I was supposed to hate that movie.  I thought it was a decent popcorn flick.  If this one is better, I'll probably enjoy it.  I don't expect Shakespeare from the writer of Transformers.  Maybe going in with low expectations will help.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on May 01, 2014, 04:47:09 AM

Both reviews said it improved on the first ASM.  I didn't realize that I was supposed to hate that movie.  I thought it was a decent popcorn flick.  If this one is better, I'll probably enjoy it.  I don't expect Shakespeare from the writer of Transformers.  Maybe going in with low expectations will help.

That is interesting.  I liked the last one, too.  Even despite the "unnecessary reboot" grumblings at the back of my mind.  Also, the costume looks better this go-round, and more of it is in the daytime. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on May 01, 2014, 04:47:09 AM

Shakespeare from the writer of Transformers.
OMG! And directed by JJ Abrams! That would be SO AWESOME!   icon_smile

I don't like any of the Transformer films (the first one I could maybe sit through again). Yet I liked the rebooted Star Trek movies. I like some of the Kurtzmann/Orci TV stuff and others do nothing for me. So I don't know if their names drag baggage (just from my narrow perspective  icon_smile)

The first AMS made $750M globally so nobody can say it didn't succeed. Though Raimi's more maligned Spider-Man 3 made more than $336M domestically and $890M globally, and yet somehow is seen as not successful. Probably because of Tobey's bad haircut and Topher Grace both seeming like really poor casting.  icon_razz

I dunno. imho it is possible to make a zillion dollars and yet not be seen as having fans' affection.

I didn't hate the first Amazing Spider-Man. It's just doing another origin take on the character seemed unnecessary, I forgot the movie the moment I left the theater and had zero desire to see it again (still haven't to this point).

imho, I don't think there's anything wrong with letting Peter Parker grow up a bit so it seems wholly silly to have a nearly 31 year old actor and 25 year old actress still playing teens. I think it'd be fun if the rebooted movies had let Peter grow up a wee little bit, but I don't know jack. Maybe a 28 year old Peter Parker would terrify young audiences? icon_smile

I do plan to see it. My brother's visiting me tomorrow, so we might see it. I could also just see myself waiting until next weekend.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:45:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »

Going tonight to see this. I saw the first one and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I like their take on the character. Tobey's spiderman had the nerdy outcast down to a perfection, but wasn't sarcastic or funny. Garfield has nailed the sarcastic and humor of the character, but he doesn't seem like a nerdy outcast at all. He looks like one of the cool kids. Blend those two versions of the character together and you might have a damn near perfect Spider-Man.

I'm expecting some fun action sequences and to laugh a couple of times during the movie. If I get that then I'll consider it a success.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »

Didn't see the first one. Won't see this one either. Sorry Spidey.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 02, 2014, 07:49:17 PM

Watched the first one on BluRay sometime ago and was fairly unimpressed. Gonna do the same with this sequel. It's getting very mediocre reviews.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »

I went in with ho-hum expectations and came out impressed. The action is solid and the film does a good job with mixing in humor whenever possible.

Where the film fails is coming up with good villains, although I like what they attempted to do. They just didn't stick the landing. Rhino was ridiculous and signing an actor like Paul Giamatti to play that character actually made it worse, not better. I can handle a no-name actor screaming in a really bad Russian accent without actually saying anything, but not an oscar nominated / golden globe winning actor. I got angry anytime his character was on screen, which luckily wasn't for long. Harry's story was better, but accelerated to make sure he became the Goblin at the end of the movie. But they had to, because while Electro's story wasn't terrible, there was no way he could carry the entire movie.

More on the Rhino:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Almost all of his footage from the movie was in the trailer. He shouldn't have been in the trailer at all, because all his character was is a plot device to get spider-man back in action at the end of the movie. I could live with that if the actor wasn't Paul Giamatti.

Still, I would give the film 3-out-of-5 stars. I enjoyed it a lot, which is all that matters. And I'm excited with the set up for the next film.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Sinister Six!

Also, was Harry's secretary
Spoiler for Hiden:
Black Cat?

And there isn't anything during the credits after the xmen clip. So don't waste your time like I did.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 03, 2014, 01:03:49 PM

Watched the first one on BluRay sometime ago and was fairly unimpressed. Gonna do the same with this sequel. It's getting very mediocre reviews.

Deservedly so.  It's not a very good film.  I still prefer Raimi's films...well, 1 and 2 at least.

I was surprised to find out that The Rhino is actually Boris Badanov from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show though.  That was something I did not know.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 04, 2014, 07:40:04 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 03, 2014, 01:03:49 PM

Deservedly so.  It's not a very good film.  I still prefer Raimi's films...well, 1 and 2 at least.

I was surprised to find out that The Rhino is actually Boris Badanov from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show though.  That was something I did not know.

Wait, wha?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2014, 03:16:12 AM »

My brother and I saw it. It's generally fine imho. No desire to see it again. It's probably gonna make $1 billion overseas so I suspect Sony won't lose sleep over its opening weekend falling shy of Captain America: The Winter Soldier's April 4 weekend launch.

I could waste about 17 paragraphs in spoiler codes nitpicking on cockamamie screenplay/storyline decisions or the questionable usage of some scene snippets in TV trailers that are misleading but hey, it's Sony's reboot franchise and they can do what they want.  icon_neutral I was entertained, even though I'd probably be fonder of the movie if they had cut about 20-25 minutes from the end.

btw, this movie does have one thing in common with Spider-Man 3 imho, it's the perhaps warped belief that really awful hair styling (Electro, Osborn/Goblin; arguably Peter himself) can somehow portray a character's emotions more than the actor can.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:19:42 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »

I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, definitely more than I liked the first one. It certainly could have been shorter (I would have been fine without the parental story line), and I wonder if Sally Field gave Jamie Foxx pointers on his character ("You like me, you really like me!), but I found the main story to be affecting. I thought that Harry's transformation into the Green Goblin was much more satisfying than in Spidey 1. Garfield and Stone had real chemistry, which is odd, as most real life couples seem to fizzle on-screen.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I thought the ending was really well done. Gwen's speech was just a little too on point for what Peter was going through, but I really felt that loss.

I also thought that this film actually handled the three villains well, better than DKR or Spidey 3. Paul Giamatti had no business being in the film (aside from wanting that phat comic book movie dough), but I enjoyed the Rhino being comic relief/ bit player in introducing the Sinister Six. All in all, I'd put it just behind Spidey 2, and even that is fading, as I find myself unable to really enjoy those films any more (I hate Tobey's stupid cryface).

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »

A FAQ picking on all the plot holes, etc.  but it is funny.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »

icon_lol

Spoiler for Hiden:
I never really thought about it, but it is just incredibly lazy writing that the inherited degenerative disease that Harry wasn't aware of prior to his father's death decides to start killing him right after his dad tells him about it.  What makes it even more ridiculous is that his dad made it to 50 without dying, yet a teenage Harry is knocking on death's door weeks after he finds out.

Oh, and the folder containing information on secret projects held in a manilla folder with Secret Projects written on it.  

I don't see how anyone can read that article and not realize just how awfully lazy the writing was for this movie. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:26:01 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: